HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

If the playoffs started today...

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2014, 10:29 PM
TychoFan

vCash: 216
If the playoffs started today...

From what I understand, the teams within a division that are 2nd and 3rd play against one another. If we assume that neither Tampa Bay or Montreal beats Boston in the standings, which seems slightly unlikely and that neither Tampa Bay or Montreal gets kicked out of the top 3 of the Atlantic, Tampa Bay will face Montreal.

This is all a huge IF, don't think of it too much. I just feel that with this new playoff format (if I understood it correctly), it is slightly easier to tell in advance what potential playoff matchups could be.

Either way, how would you feel if you knew that Tampa Bay would be facing Montreal in the playoffs?

Old
01-11-2014, 10:35 PM
FDfranklin
Check Mate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoFan View Post
From what I understand, the teams within a division that are 2nd and 3rd play against one another. If we assume that neither Tampa Bay or Montreal beats Boston in the standings, which seems slightly unlikely and that neither Tampa Bay or Montreal gets kicked out of the top 3 of the Atlantic, Tampa Bay will face Montreal.

This is all a huge IF, don't think of it too much. I just feel that with this new playoff format (if I understood it correctly), it is slightly easier to tell in advance what potential playoff matchups could be.

Either way, how would you feel if you knew that Tampa Bay would be facing Montreal in the playoffs?
With a healthy roster, including Stamkos and Bishop... I would feel confident playing anyone in playoffs.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Callum
All In

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoFan View Post

I thought about this the other day. In a seven game series against Montreal I think we would have to be favorites. I don't know how they would be able to withstand all of our offense. I see our defense being able to hold them out quite comfortably. Cary Price will be the difference maker. He has to be there best player if they want to win the series.

As for playing Boston in the 2nd round if we surpassed Montreal. I think where toast, don't think our defense is up to it and they have an uncanny way of stalling our offense.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear the Flash

vCash: 3073
I take offense to the suggestion that Tampa (or even Montreal for that matter) won't pass Boston in the standings as we could do it any day now and there is still plenty of Hockey to play.

That being said I agree with Callum that I think we match up very well with Montreal. If we have a healthy Bishop unless Price plays lights out Tampa should win. If we have Stamkos back and healthy even more so.

The only team that scares me is Boston. Even Pittsburgh I feel we could beat in 7 game series.

Old
01-12-2014, 02:54 AM
Callum
All In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophobia Catalyst View Post
The only team that scares me is Boston. Even Pittsburgh I feel we could beat in 7 game series.
Yeah, theirs only 2 teams in this league that I'm scared about facing in the playoffs, Boston and Chicago. I feel our scoring depth (if healthy) gives us the edge over most teams. We have two really good lines at the moment without Stamkos and will have 3 extremely dangerous lines when he's back.

I just can't see many teams handling our scoring depth come playoffs. I think I'm slightly over confident but I back this team to do great things, especially if Bish is playing lights out.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:07 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Yeah, theirs only 2 teams in this league that I'm scared about facing in the playoffs, Boston and Chicago. I feel our scoring depth (if healthy) gives us the edge over most teams. We have two really good lines at the moment without Stamkos and will have 3 extremely dangerous lines when he's back.

I just can't see many teams handling our scoring depth come playoffs. I think I'm slightly over confident but I back this team to do great things, especially if Bish is playing lights out.

Thats the key will be 2-3 goalies get hott very hott in playoffs and surprise people.

We get a very hot goalie anything is possible if we can score like we have been last two weeks and add stamkos that is scary good actually.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:13 AM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:
I don't know if it's possible to beat the Penguins, refs and NBC all at the same time.

Old
01-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
I don't know if it's possible to beat the Penguins, refs and NBC all at the same time.
Yea don't know if the NHL would allow a young team like TB to beat a media and Bettman favorite team like the Penguins.

Old
01-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Callum
All In

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Apologies, I forgot about this intangible.

They have aready fixed a Bruins vs Pens ECF, we graciously bow out in the 2nd round.

Old
01-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear the Flash

vCash: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Yea don't know if the NHL would allow a young team like TB to beat a media and Bettman favorite team like the Penguins.
Everyone forgot 2011 already?

Old
01-12-2014, 02:43 PM
FDfranklin
Check Mate

Quote:
Not I.

Old
01-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Callum
All In

Quote:
There was no Crosby to talk about, so they let Stamkos pass through instead

Old
03-24-2014, 06:49 PM
TychoFan

vCash: 216
2 months later, I ask the Tampa Bay Lightning fans the same question. I'd give an edge to Tampa Bay in every aspect to be honest.

Old
03-24-2014, 07:31 PM
IdealisticSniper

Out of all the current possible matchups for TB I would take Montreal first. And that's not a slight to Montreal I think they are a solid team. I just think best of 7 and we take it in 6.

This is of course, as said before, assuming Bishop plays well and Price doesn't turn into superman which is always possible.

Old
03-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Out of all the current possible matchups for TB I would take Montreal first. And that's not a slight to Montreal I think they are a solid team. I just think best of 7 and we take it in 6.

This is of course, as said before, assuming Bishop plays well and Price doesn't turn into superman which is always possible.
Bishop and Price have both been unstoppable head to head this year, really could come out either way, I'd love to take Philly or Detroit in the first round though.

Old
03-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Kramerica Industries

barring some whacky stuff happening, the odds of Tampa and Montreal facing anybody but Tampa or Montreal are pretty slim. All we're deciding right now is who gets Game 1 and home ice.

Old
03-25-2014, 12:01 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
price doesnt worry me. Subban getting hott and vanek bother me.

The rest of montreal to me is blah.

We match up quite well have to out work them and out play them.

Have to be healthy and bishop has to play better.

We are 5-1-4 and not playing all that great lol. Bishop is not good at all tonights game was a disaster to be honest just missed assignments and laziness. Just unreal.

We seem truly tired lately

Got to grind through it and hats off to them for doing it

Think cooper has a better ideal on this team after tonight. Stamkos got faster playing with tyjo. Purcell and killer dont work. Malone is already totally sucking wind. So he can be benched and is good for 3-4 games tops it is what it is.

Our d is super tired Wish we had been deeper and could call up guys but in time that will happen.

If we lose to montreal is a case of not being ready more than anything to me.

We are simply the better team.

Old
03-25-2014, 05:31 AM
angelsil
On Thin Ice

Last Summer, back when re-alignment was announced, I turned to my husband and said 'well, with the way the Bolts have played lately, at least we don't need to worry about meeting in the playoffs for awhile'.

*sigh*

I mean, I'm glad we're doing better than expected and I think we have a good shot against Montreal. I just wish my couch was more comfortable.

Seriously, though. I hope we can give Bishop a rest before he has to battle Price. Carey has had some time off (injury and rest) and Bish has just looked tired recently.

Old
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
price doesnt worry me. Subban getting hott and vanek bother me.

The rest of montreal to me is blah.

We match up quite well have to out work them and out play them.

Have to be healthy and bishop has to play better.

We are 5-1-4 and not playing all that great lol. Bishop is not good at all tonights game was a disaster to be honest just missed assignments and laziness. Just unreal.

We seem truly tired lately

Got to grind through it and hats off to them for doing it

Think cooper has a better ideal on this team after tonight. Stamkos got faster playing with tyjo. Purcell and killer dont work. Malone is already totally sucking wind. So he can be benched and is good for 3-4 games tops it is what it is.

Our d is super tired Wish we had been deeper and could call up guys but in time that will happen.

If we lose to montreal is a case of not being ready more than anything to me.

We are simply the better team.
LOL. The teams are pretty evenly matched but I think the Habs playoff experience, which exceeds Tampa's, will be the determining factor.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBobrovsky View Post
LOL. The teams are pretty evenly matched but I think the Habs playoff experience, which exceeds Tampa's, will be the determining factor.
We can outscore you even with price. Now price right now wont say that but no one keeps that up forever

You also have other good pieces but they are not terrifying pieces. Vanek having a couple of hat tricks is scary. Subban going on a tear like a week ago is scary.

I do not see patchy going on a tear he is just reliable same for gallagher. Galchenyuk is not ready yet to go on a tear etc.

Why say we are better. Stamkos is a difference maker he makes everyone better on our team. If he is healthy as believe he will be when playoffs began he take over a series. Defensive scoring you might be better. Will not be an easy series. If price continues we will get beat the way he is playing and we are playing.

If we had bishop before olympics and stamkos as is playing? You just dont worry me much. Is nothing personal against the canadians or your fan base etc. I just believe we are a better more complete team.

We score more and now have stamkos. If play smart stay out of box where your way more dangerous we can beat you with good goaltending.

Bishop last few weeks is not good goaltending we are just scoring a ton of goals.

You guys flat out live off the power play in my opinion (my humble opinion) You are probably a lot more dangerous with that now with vanek but without it? You just cant score like we can. We got stamkos now so think we can equal you or close to it on the power play also.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
BobBobrovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
We can outscore you even with price. Now price right now wont say that but no one keeps that up forever

You also have other good pieces but they are not terrifying pieces. Vanek having a couple of hat tricks is scary. Subban going on a tear like a week ago is scary.

I do not see patchy going on a tear he is just reliable same for gallagher. Galchenyuk is not ready yet to go on a tear etc.

Why say we are better. Stamkos is a difference maker he makes everyone better on our team. If he is healthy as believe he will be when playoffs began he take over a series. Defensive scoring you might be better. Will not be an easy series. If price continues we will get beat the way he is playing and we are playing.

If we had bishop before olympics and stamkos as is playing? You just dont worry me much. Is nothing personal against the canadians or your fan base etc. I just believe we are a better more complete team.

We score more and now have stamkos. If play smart stay out of box where your way more dangerous we can beat you with good goaltending.

Bishop last few weeks is not good goaltending we are just scoring a ton of goals.

You guys flat out live off the power play in my opinion (my humble opinion) You are probably a lot more dangerous with that now with vanek but without it? You just cant score like we can. We got stamkos now so think we can equal you or close to it on the power play also.
Neither team is "terrifying" IMO. Both sides are solid but unspectacular. Like I said, I give the Habs a slight edge based on playoff experience. Probably a seven game series regardless. I'm sure we'll all "hate" each other by game 3 or 4.

Old
03-26-2014, 02:08 PM
GulfCoastBolt
TBSA bred

Send a message via AIM to GulfCoastBolt Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastBolt Send a message via Skype™ to GulfCoastBolt
http://www.nhlplayoffsbracket.com/2014/index.php

Old
03-26-2014, 02:17 PM
FDfranklin
Check Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastBolt View Post
Not that anyone cares but I started playoff mode in NHL14 with these exact brackets. Beat MTL in game 5 and DET beat BOS. Please be real life

Old
03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
Not that anyone cares but I started playoff mode in NHL14 with these exact brackets. Beat MTL in game 5 and DET beat BOS. Please be real life
That's actually a really cool idea. Just did it myself and simmed every game with latest rosters:
Detroit over Boston in 6
Tampa over Montreal in 6
Columbus over Pittsburgh in 5
Rangers over Phili in 6
Sharks over Wild in 6
Anaheim over LA in 4
Phoenix over St. Louis in 4
Colorado over Chicago in 6

Tampa over Detroit in 6
Rangers over Columbus in 5
Sharks over Anaheim in 5
Phoenix over Colorado in 5

Sharks over Phoenix in 6
Rangers over Tampa in 6

Rangers over Sharks in 6...

St. Louis had 24 points in 23 games. **** this game.

Old
03-26-2014, 03:56 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
That's actually a really cool idea. Just did it myself and simmed every game with latest rosters:
Detroit over Boston in 6
Tampa over Montreal in 6
Columbus over Pittsburgh in 5
Rangers over Phili in 6
Sharks over Wild in 6
Anaheim over LA in 4
Phoenix over St. Louis in 4
Colorado over Chicago in 6

Tampa over Detroit in 6
Rangers over Columbus in 5
Sharks over Anaheim in 5
Phoenix over Colorado in 5

Sharks over Phoenix in 6
Rangers over Tampa in 6

Rangers over Sharks in 6...

St. Louis had 24 points in 23 games. **** this game.

You got me in stitches over here crying thank you

Thank you for the laugh.

Can anyone say the midgets revenge. What was it montasuma or something lol.

Guess game aint updated on current lack of production or wall he has hit.

Closed Thread