HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Critique/Complain: Captain Callahan's Composure

Old
04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
Critique/Complain: Captain Callahan's Composure

It feels wrong but it needs be said. Callahan is off his game, taking bad penalties - worrying about the refereeing. Not leading by example. As leader of the forecheck and principle example of Torts hockey I don't see him doing the things he has been doing in the season. I think he deserves some of the blame for a very unfamiliar looking NY Rangers team out there. NO offense to Boyle, it shouldn't be Brian Boyle leading this team, I just see very little charisma out there.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:16 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Look I admire him, and his composure is really good even in these losses. But he will look bad if they dont rebound from this loss and if we dont make it.

If it works out, damn he's been right all along.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:17 PM
MDL8981

He was great in Game 1...but has not been doing much since then. Agreed that I've been dissapointed in his play. Maybe more so then anyone on the team.

Gaborik dissapearing doesnt surprise me. Anisimov playing soft, and Dubinsky wasting scoring chances doesnt surprise me.

Cally not lifting his game? That does surprise me.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:17 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Even though that power play didnt hurt rangers to much, it was a huge blow.

I like how he stood up for his teamate, but was it a good time??? Not really, and he really didnt show up tonight, I'm not going to bash him, because he is the captain, and he has done so much for us.

But tonight was not a good night for him, not a good night.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i did not mind him sticking up for Gaborik there. perfectly fine with that roughing penalty he took

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i did not mind him sticking up for Gaborik there. perfectly fine with that roughing penalty he took
Same. Although flipping over Anderson was completely unnecessary.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Callahan

We cannot really blame this game on just Callahan. Sure, he could have played better.

However, we need to simply Execute better.

period 1 & 2 - We again did not quite play our game (see game 4 for same problem)

period 3 - This is where we STARTED to play our game. However, its kind of hard to come back from behind when you only start to play your game in the 3rd period. We started cycling more and pressuring them down low. We were shooting more. We still did not get to enough rebounds.

The commentators discussed this during the game:
Anderson gives up A LOT of juicy rebounds. However, we got to maybe 5% of those rebounds in this game. That is not acceptable.

The other thing that drove me nuts is Torts again changing the lines every 2 seconds. I get they were not working, but give them more than 1 shift!

In Game 6, with Hagelin back, I'd like to see these lines:
Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik --- work well together
Dubinsky - Boyle - Callahan --- could be great down low
Kreider - Stepan - Anisimov --- Stepan and Kreider played together before
Fedotenko - Rupp - Prust

Sit Mitchell.

Power-play - Oh, its not working? really? Well, lets see now, Girardi gets 3:45 of PP time while McDonagh gets 57 seconds. Why? Sometimes I wonder about Torts. McDonagh has been amazing in rushing the puck yet he gets almost no PP time??

Get McDonagh more PP ice time asap! When we activate Del Zotto, McDonagh and Stralman, we have had a lot of success against the Sens...

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:58 PM
lbrowne

I'll take him giving Greening a shot for clipping our star every day of the week and don't mind him getting a penalty for it.

Given chance to rewind the clock, I would want him to do it again.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I think he was just really upset over what was happening.

As the Captain, he feels responsible when the results aren't there, but he's not a captain like Messier who could take over a game with his skill.

I'm gonna just let this one slide and forget about it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM
satrabyk

Are you serious, this isnt the reg season its the playoffs. Every team plays harder, smarter and frankly better. We got through the lack of skill level on this team, by playing harder than any other team just at Torts says. But come playoffs esp with Ott they play hard if not harder and now we need some forwards to start doing some thing but its tough. This is were the were Cally get frusturated and gets off his game, its natural and a good thing shows he wants to win.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Uh, what? Callahan has been great this series. You are complaining about him losing his composure? That was a late hit on Gaborik and could have easily been a penalty, but it wasn't called. Even if you thought it was a borderline call, Callahan has to send a message that their best player can't just get clocked around- that's a 2 minute penalty worth taking, especially with the way our penalty kill has been.

The dude has 2 goals, 1 assist through 5 games. He's leading in scoring and hits, as well as sticking up for his teammates.

What else, exactly would you have him doing?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
satrabyk

My assesment of the problems with this team

1. Top line guys are just not good enough. Gaborik always been a reg season performer and really declines come playoffs when things tighten up. Richards mediocore to poor all season and has been worse this series. Its hard to win when there top players out play yours.

2. We lack offensive zone time. Of course it improved tonight but on just not enough body presence and puck protection along the boards. Dubi hasent done nearly enough. Mitchell has done nothing this series.

I think we can win the next game, now Boyle is out most likely, but Hagelin is back in, which hopefully he will come back in with energy that we really need. Krieder is just not ready and i would get him out of the lineup imo. Some may disagree but to me we cant afford having playing minimal mins and not contributing much at all. Get someone else even Deveaux or a guy that can cycle and protect a puck. Preferably a big body i dunno but we need someone like that. Btw all this talk about Rupp playoffs, he does very little out there.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:25 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
It was totally necessary Anderson was a wall all game. The best way to get a goalie of their game is to rough them up a bit and get them tight.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Cally missed a practice earlier in the series due to personal issues that caused him to fly up to Rochester(possibly even before the series). He's got an unlucky time to be off, but I don't think he entirely chose it. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Other guys need to pick up the slack when somebody isn't where they need to be.

(Boyle and Stralman did(and Henrik, but he's always good to us)-- nobody followed suit)

If we don't come back to win this series it's a shame, but he'll be back in September ready to go. He's not the guy you need to be blaming.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
Cally missed a practice earlier in the series due to personal issues that caused him to fly up to Rochester(possibly even before the series). He's got an unlucky time to be off, but I don't think he entirely chose it. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Other guys need to pick up the slack when somebody isn't where they need to be.

(Boyle and Stralman did(and Henrik, but he's always good to us)-- nobody followed suit)

If we don't come back to win this series it's a shame, but he'll be back in September ready to go. He's not the guy you need to be blaming.
I can't wait till next season's first round loss.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Anderson's foot kicked Cally's feet out moving to make a save. it wasn't much though... could've been a dive... saw a few of those lately.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Uh, what? Callahan has been great this series. You are complaining about him losing his composure? That was a late hit on Gaborik and could have easily been a penalty, but it wasn't called. Even if you thought it was a borderline call, Callahan has to send a message that their best player can't just get clocked around- that's a 2 minute penalty worth taking, especially with the way our penalty kill has been.

The dude has 2 goals, 1 assist through 5 games. He's leading in scoring and hits, as well as sticking up for his teammates.

Callahan has not be great. He's been better than most players on the team, but far from great.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Callahan has been okay to good...When he is on, you can see it impact the whole team

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Dimz92

Composure? He skated into Anderson trying to get to the front of the net that every other ranger is scared of.... He than try's to fight greening who nailed gaborik who is a star player.... Defending his teammate makes him uncomposed? Close this thread. Cally is the heart and soul of this team and no body plays harder than him... Best captain in the NHL plays the game 100 percent right. GTFO with this crap already, maybe if half the team can play with half the heart cally plays with.. We wouldn't be down 3-2

Dimz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:15 AM
OverTheCap

Cally took more penalties this season than he ever has before. So his lack of discipline isn't all that surprising.

However, as MDL said, he hasn't really had the same impact since Game 1. His intensity level and physicality seems to have dipped. Definitely disappointing to see, this team relies on their captain at times to set the tone and pace for the game. As I mentioned in the PGT, I wonder if he is feeling the effects of Phillips' elbow in Game 2.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:12 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
It feels wrong but it needs be said. Callahan is off his game, taking bad penalties - worrying about the refereeing. Not leading by example. As leader of the forecheck and principle example of Torts hockey I don't see him doing the things he has been doing in the season. I think he deserves some of the blame for a very unfamiliar looking NY Rangers team out there. NO offense to Boyle, it shouldn't be Brian Boyle leading this team, I just see very little charisma out there.
OMG,shut up man.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:49 AM
1940rip

Quote:

Exactly. Not enough messages were sent earlier in the series (hello Prust and Rupp??), which is why Neil, Konopka, Carkner, have run us over. It's too late for messages now, now they need to fight for their playoff lives. The good news is that, despite the loss, I think they played their most dominant game of the series. They're a young team, and they'll learn from this. We'll see what they're made of on Monday night.

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Ice Hockey

callahan has been very good this series. i'm more concerned about other guys as well as 3rd/4th line minutes.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Callahan has not be great. He's been better than most players on the team, but far from great.
It's all relative. It's the playoffs, everyone's playing at a higher level which means the best players arent gonna put up regular season like numbers. Look around the league, the super stars' output gets severely muted; its part of the nature of playoffs.

Again, what else would you have him doing? He wanted to score a hat-trick but instead he ran into the goalie and took a penalty. He's sorry.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:34 PM
1994sec311

Quote:

Agreed---have to send a message there--always think it's worth the 2 min penalty. and in what world is it ok for greening to not fight there?

i will not be happy unless the Rangers send a message against Greening and Neil in game 6

1994sec311 is offline   Reply With Quote