HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Brad Richards need to redeem himself? (All Richards discussion)

Old
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Does Brad Richards need to redeem himself? (All Richards discussion)

Just wondering how everyone feels. With the team winning so much, the spotlight is off Richards, but if we get knocked out in the playoffs, and Richards does not play well, the glare will be intense.

I was against the signing over the summer but at this point I'm rooting to prove me wrong...hard. I was told about the perfect marriage between Gaborik and Richards, and how Richards would fix the anemic power play. Wrong on both counts.

He has scored a few timely goals, but for his salary we need more than that.

That said, if Richards draws on his vast Stanley Cup experience and comes thru in the playoffs, for me all will be forgiven. Hopefully he can do so.

What say you?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

If he plays substantially better in the playoffs, yes.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
WeWillWinTonight

I certainly don't think the spotlight is off Richards like you do.

It's obvious he needs to do more.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:53 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I hold the opinion that Richards had played some of his best hockey with Gaborik, and that his future is clearly as Gaborik's center. In the what, 15 or so games this season that he was his pivot he was springing Gaborik left and right, it just makes more sense to have them on separate lines.

When another major scoring threat like Gaborik can be on the Stepan line, Gabs will slide to Richards and they'll probably continue to be dynamite. I'm not sure why people think they didn't work out.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

He's done and is doing more than what shows up on the stat sheet though...
He actually does have intangibles... unlike someone else we know all too well.

I think he can do more, we'd all like to see it. But even when he isn't scoring he does set up chances.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
geisenNYR

I think he's been a great signing....the rangers are first in the east, when just last year they were fighting for a playoff spot. Yes, it's because guys like Del Zotto, Mcdonagh, and Stepan have stepped up huge (hank too obviously), but think about where Stepan and Del Zotto would be if Richards wasn't hear to show them the way, and even think about where the rangers would be with out the two. Richards presence alone has made this team better, I think that is pretty clear, and for that he is worth his cap. His numbers aren't gaudy, but yes he has been clutch at times, and is not the only reason the power play is terrible. But at the end of the day, he is being paid here to win, not collect Art Ross trophies, and as long as they are winning Brad Richards does not have to redeem himsel.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:05 PM
beastly115

Hard to argue against a signing when the team is currently in 1st place. Stat watchers will complain that the Richards signing "hasn't worked out" when the reality of the situation is that we're sitting atop the Eastern Conference.

I'd rather have Richards put up fewer points and be in 1st place than be a Phil Kessel and put up good numbers on a sh!tty team.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm not particularly pleased with his play, but I'm happy with how he's mentoring guys like Stepan and Del Zotto. Willing to cut him some slack at this point.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Dorado*

IMO it's not a matter of BR playing bad or needing to redeem himself it's a matter of his game and the system the NYR play not being symbiotic per se.
Brad still hits the open man a lot but most of His time on the ice is spent along the wall and behind the net mucking around .
Infuse a few more players that pass and move and can beat a guy one on one in the slot as well as okay strong on the wall and I think BR s talents would be utilized .
BR is as um physical a player as WW or EC , he is just a slightly better back checker .
As long as NYR play the way they do and don't have another slick forward on the half wall like a Giroux type who can play catch w bras and force overplays then wire one across the box or into the slot to a guy who can finish the same results will be had with brad .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Exactly. It's almost a clone of last year's team except that Drury's been swapped for Richards, yet the differences on the ice are night and day.

I was never expecting an avalanche of offense. More would be good, but I don't know that the current top 6 is capable of producing significantly more.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Dorado*

If the NYR had a top 10 PP and scored say 20-25 more PP goals BR would probably be closer to the player statistically he usually is .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
msv957

Not sure what else Brad Richards can do here with the role Torts has for him. He is playing 2nd line center. He has 45 points which is more points than Stepan who is playing first line center! I am willing to believe there are not many 2nd line centers who have more points than Richards.

Also, as someone mentioned above, he seems to bring some intangibles and leadership to this team. Overall, for the role that Torts has him playing I would say he is doing quite well.

Granted, he was signed to be the first line center but Torts doesn't want to mess with team success right now.

Last edited by msv957: 03-07-2012 at 06:36 PM.
msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
If the NYR had a top 10 PP and scored say 20-25 more PP goals BR would probably be closer to the player statistically he usually is .
It doesn't matter if we bring in Gretzky in his prime. Until Sullivan goes that PP is not improving.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Rust Heisenberg

He's gotta stop visiting wineries and being a wine aficionado and worry more about being paid 10 million dollars to be the best player on our team...

That's what he's being paid to do. I'm tired of excuses. I'm tired of hearing people say it's his first year wait for it. If that's the case he shouldn't ****ing accept 10 mill in his first year so that he assimilates to a new team. He's being paid a contract this large to do a job. He's not doing it.

Of course he needs to redeem himself. Otherwise he becomes a giant bust.

God I'd love to have Rick Nash on this team.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I hold the opinion that Richards had played some of his best hockey with Gaborik, and that his future is clearly as Gaborik's center. In the what, 15 or so games this season that he was his pivot he was springing Gaborik left and right, it just makes more sense to have them on separate lines.

When another major scoring threat like Gaborik can be on the Stepan line, Gabs will slide to Richards and they'll probably continue to be dynamite. I'm not sure why people think they didn't work out.
I think most educated fans agree with you.

Unfortunately, Tortorella made a snap judgement two shifts into their first game, literally, and has since only sporadically thrown them together late in games when we're playing like crap and losing. He has not put them together in situations to succeed. He refuses to put Stepan Richards Gaborik back together, even though they showed flashes of brilliance in the one game they played together in preseason.

I'd like to see

Stepan Richards Gaborik

Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan (crazy I know, a line that was dominant at times last year, why would we do that?!)

Hagelin Boyle Kreider

Fedotenko Rupp Prust

Mitchell as the spare or alternating with Rupp, unless Kreider doesn't come up this year, which I'm starting to think is actually likely that he does.

OR

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Fedotenko Stepan Kreider
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

OR (unlikely but interesting)...

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Zuccarello
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Fedotenko Boyle Prust
Rupp/Mitchell

OR

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Dubinsky Anisimov Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Islanderfan17

Isles fan in peace

I don't know why Ranger fans are displeased with Richards, despise his lack of production he seems to have been a huge part in bringing this years team to a whole nother level. I'm sure he is a great leader in the locker room and while he is not putting up stellar numbers, he is playing the role Tortorella has given him which has contributed to the success you guys are having this season.

I would not be concerned if I were you guys, I think the failures of the PP should not be on him but probably whoever is in charge of the PP. Clearly it hasn't been working out for a long time now.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Hard to argue against a signing when the team is currently in 1st place. Stat watchers will complain that the Richards signing "hasn't worked out" when the reality of the situation is that we're sitting atop the Eastern Conference.

I'd rather have Richards put up fewer points and be in 1st place than be a Phil Kessel and put up good numbers on a sh!tty team.
agreed...although i wish the PP was better and i dont really like a forward on the point..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
stan the caddy

Richards needs to step up big time. We gave him this massive front-loaded contract thinking he'd at the very least be great in his first few seasons. He hasn't lived up to his contract at all. When he's not making plays or scoring he's pretty useless... and he hasn't made nearly enough plays.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
satrabyk

I dont like a lot of aspects of his game, he does not engage in enough one-on-one battles, his decesion making is not always good, he does not change his speeds or try to beat a defender, ever. Lately i see him throwing the puck in the air to nothing instead of protecting the puck which he doesent seem comfortable doing. He also looses his coverage by day dreaming into the play and it costs him Big on his plus minus which once again he is like the worst on the team.

Saying that i see the odd good thing, and he has a skill set to improve so basically hes no WW out there but he needs to get a little fired up and play with more intensity if he has it, if not well that would not be good for us as once again we paying and playing star (minutes) for whome they are not and thus will not win.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Exactly. It's almost a clone of last year's team except that Drury's been swapped for Richards, yet the differences on the ice are night and day.

I was never expecting an avalanche of offense. More would be good, but I don't know that the current top 6 is capable of producing significantly more.
You are not seriously evaluating the Rangers success on this...right?

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Isles fan in peace

I don't know why Ranger fans are displeased with Richards, despise his lack of production he seems to have been a huge part in bringing this years team to a whole nother level. I'm sure he is a great leader in the locker room and while he is not putting up stellar numbers, he is playing the role Tortorella has given him which has contributed to the success you guys are having this season.

I would not be concerned if I were you guys, I think the failures of the PP should not be on him but probably whoever is in charge of the PP. Clearly it hasn't been working out for a long time now.
He is in charge of the PP he plays the QB position, it largely on him to settle and make the right plays and he often does not do that. If you have the right players they dont need some coach to tell them at their age how to run are PP they do it themselves. Please if you dont watch the games dont make comments as if you know better. And please guys does not matter what line he plays on, if he doesent do it no one else will. If you dont kno why hes not on the first line With Gaborik than you should watch a little closer. He hasent displayed the foot speed or acceleration to create for Gaborik and is not good down low, both of which Gaborik will benefit from.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:03 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
He's done and is doing more than what shows up on the stat sheet though...

I think he can do more, we'd all like to see it. But even when he isn't scoring he does set up chances.
Ya but when you see that he has the worst plus minus on the team it hard to argue in favour of intangibles. The one thing he does is take pressure of Stepan and the other players, and he also creates an illusion of having another star on the team. But despite adding the occassional point his contract thus far does not look good, first place or not, its all about playoffs and if he can step up there, and i mean the best forward on many nights than this season will be easily forgotten.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Affinity

I'm not too worried about it. Our system kind of suffocates any and all offensive creativity. I'd like to see him play with Gabby again for more than 5 minutes.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

We're in first and he's been a big part of that. Statistically, he's having a similar season to his first year in Dallas.

Right now I'm not worrying about him, but it's a close thing. It wouldn't take me much to really start to wonder.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
He is in charge of the PP he plays the QB position, it largely on him to settle and make the right plays and he often does not do that. If you have the right players they dont need some coach to tell them at their age how to run are PP they do it themselves. Please if you dont watch the games dont make comments as if you know better. And please guys does not matter what line he plays on, if he doesent do it no one else will. If you dont kno why hes not on the first line With Gaborik than you should watch a little closer. He hasent displayed the foot speed or acceleration to create for Gaborik and is not good down low, both of which Gaborik will benefit from.
Umm...Sullivan is in charge of the PP. Clearly, whatever he's doing isn't working.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote