HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Lennart Petrell have a future with the oilers

Old
04-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Latex*
DM is good

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Antti T is one guy I am keeping an eye on--he is like Lennart but tougher and gets into nasty situations
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I prefer Tyrvainen at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

Tyrvainen is also an interesting case. I think he's on a two-year two-way deal though? Wouldn't mind seeing him get a few games next season.
You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Having seen both of the players many times, I can assure you Tyrväinen will never be half the player Petrell is. Sure he might be more entertaining with his borderline dirty hits, cheap antics on the ice, flashy big hits etc. but in reality the guy does nothing to help his team. Only hurts it with his stupid penalties.

Petrell on the other hand does his job well. Doesn't take stupid penalties, is solid on the PK /defensively, hits alot, never gives up on the forecheck, can cycle the puck and is seriously one of the nicest hockey players I've ever met. PLUS HAS AWESOME HAIR!

I'm very skeptical with Tyrväinen. I'd say keep Petrell until some of the younger players are ready to replace him. Would rather see Petrell playing garbage minutes on the 4th line than Pääjärvi etc.

Quote:
Overall...we need better players.
This. Until we get them, I'm happy with Petrell.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

There should be a poll on this.

oil Leaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Having seen both of the players many times, I can assure you Tyrväinen will never be half the player Petrell is. Sure he might be more entertaining with his borderline dirty hits, cheap antics on the ice, flashy big hits etc. but in reality the guy does nothing to help his team. Only hurts it with his stupid penalties.

Petrell on the other hand does his job well. Doesn't take stupid penalties, is solid on the PK /defensively, hits alot, never gives up on the forecheck, can cycle the puck and is seriously one of the nicest hockey players I've ever met. PLUS HAS AWESOME HAIR!

I'm very skeptical with Tyrväinen. I'd say keep Petrell until some of the younger players are ready to replace him. Would rather see Petrell playing garbage minutes on the 4th line than Pääjärvi etc.
What you see is what you get with Petrell. He's 27 and doesn't have much room for development. I respect that you've seen Tyrvainen play a bunch, but he is significantly younger and could still develop into something more than you have seen.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
What you see is what you get with Petrell. He's 27 and doesn't have much room for development. I respect that you've seen Tyrvainen play a bunch, but he is significantly younger and could still develop into something more than you have seen.
But at this point he isn't. So we should keep Petrell around

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I agree. Tyrvainen needs to take a spot not be given one. I don't see why we can't have Petrell and then if at some point Tyrvainen proves he is NHL ready then you switch the two.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think Tyrvainen should have a place on this team. Just disagreeing with the notion that Tyrvanian will never be 1/2 the player Petrell is. We don't know that.

I already made my thoughts on Petrell clear earlier in the thread.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
I don't see anything that would imply that Tyrväinen has significant amount of room to really develop as a player.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Spawn

Quote:
I don't see anything that would imply that Tyrväinen has more room to really develop as a player.
He had a pretty good year in a 3rd/4th line role the Barons this year.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
He had a pretty good year in a 3rd/4th line role the Barons this year.
Which is nice and all, but I still fail to see NHL potential in him.

I mean, "pretty good" in a 3/4th line duty in the AHL... ugh..

Old
04-26-2012, 05:02 PM
McspOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pSlayer View Post
Solid fourth liner with good size, but lacks toughness. But I say he's a keeper
Wasn't he near the top of the team in hits...

McspOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
I'm pretty sure he was the highest. And he dropped the mitts this year a couple times

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was the highest. And he dropped the mitts this year a couple times
If I remember correctly he was top on our team for forwards and he played 60ish games.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Petrell 122 in 60GP
Jones 119 in 79gp
Eager 73 in 63 gp
Hodrichuk 67 in 43gp
Horcoff 62 in 81gp

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:52 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Petrell is the prototypical 4th line player. With a knack for PKing.

He should have a place.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:09 AM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

they should move lennart to the center.

hall-gags-eberle
hemsky-hopkins-yakupov
horcoff-beli-jones
eager-lennart-hordichuk

BoldMcNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
gib

Quote:
I know you are the biggest Petrell fanboy in here, but Tyrväinen being half the player? You really are underestimating Tyrväinen. He`s not that far behind Petrell. Playing defence is the only category where Petrell beats Tyrväinen with singnificant matter. Petrell is more all-round player and more steadier completer, but Tyrväinen`s fierceness brings another kind of element on the ice.

The gap between these two players isn`t that big, but it can be decisive in terms of does one play in NHL or AHL. Petrell is safer and steadier of the two, but Tyrväinen`s havent reached his full potential yet.

Back to the original question:
Petrell is steady performer, accepts any role he is given, doesnt complain, always gives 100% for the team, plays good defense and hits when there is a chance. That`s what you get when you sing Petrell and you can count on it. If Oilers think they need that they will sing him.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
I know you are the biggest Petrell fanboy in here, but Tyrväinen being half the player?
What gives you the impression? Here are my posts from the Petrell threads over the season:

Quote:
A good fourth liner. Lays out big hits, blocks shots and plays good PK overall.

Nothing to complain about in his game really.
Quote:
Oh come on...

He's nothing special. A good PKer and a solid hitter. That's not going to cement your position in the playing squad. Just be happy he's in the NHL.
Quote:
I was a bit disappointed when i realized Lennu wasn't going to play. Still was great to see us win.

I hope they let him play in the next game.
Quote:
Sadly, i don't think he's going to stick up.

Why the hell did he tune down his physical play when he got his chance in the NHL? He was way more physical in SM-Liiga. Yesterday he was a shadow of his former self when it comes to physical play.

Would still much rather have him than Hartikainen with us.
Biggest fan...? uh...? **** off

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
You really are underestimating Tyrväinen. He`s not that far behind Petrell. Playing defence is the only category where Petrell beats Tyrväinen with singnificant matter.
Size? Shot? Hockey smarts?--> the penalties Tyrväinen takes are beyond stupid.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Horseradish

I like how he plays, same with Hordi, but neither are all that effective and basically always get hemmed in their own zone if the puck gets there while they're on the ice. I'd be ok with one but not both returning on the 4th line. We need another guy with enough puck skill to get the puck moving up the ice (which isn't really that much skill at all, to be considered an upgrade). Did nice things on the PK in a tertiary role though.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:15 AM
83Hemsky83

I say keep him for another year. He wasn't horrible this year. Knowing Edmonton, if we did let him go he would flourish somewhere else.

83Hemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:03 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Our fourth line was terrible this year.

Petrell is a defense only player, not defense first, defense only.

Hordi is a fighter. Those mits were made for punchin not scorin. Hes not even that good at punchin either.

Eager had a bad year. Had a very slow start, likely due to his concussion. Eager is not a great player but I think hes certainly better than his other 2 linemates. I think he could have a bounce back year next season. Maybe get 20 points if he gets linemates as good as himself.

I think Eager is a good 4th liner.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:18 PM
bebl

What happened to Petrell? he doesn't have confidence with puck anymore, don't hit at all and his intensity has disappeared completely compared to last season.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
What happened to Petrell? he doesn't have confidence with puck anymore, don't hit at all and his intensity has disappeared completely compared to last season.
Completely different leagues. To be fair to him though, he was, on most nights, the best player on his line. The problem is there haven't been many opportunities for him to jump up to the third line, though he did well with the chances he had.

I do hope he's back next year - the kids could use more conditioning in the AHL and there's no pressing need to get them on the big club right away. He did great on the PK, and did much better 5x5 towards the end of the year when he got more acclimated to the league. He could be a serviceable 4th liner for us moving forward

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Which is nice and all, but I still fail to see NHL potential in him.

I mean, "pretty good" in a 3/4th line duty in the AHL... ugh..
Just for fun. How many times did you see Tyrväinen THIS season?

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Harley

Keep him. Very good fourth liner that hits, kills penalties, answers the bell by dropping the gloves and more than holding his own. And his effort level is as good and consistent as anyone on the team. With some more confidence has the possibility to move into a third line role as an effective shut down winger. Not much offence, may never provide much but I think we can live with that. Salary will be reasonable. To me he is one of the easiest decisions on the team going forward. He's good at what he does and what we ask of him so sign him up.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Our fourth line was terrible this year.

Petrell is a defense only player, not defense first, defense only.

Hordi is a fighter. Those mits were made for punchin not scorin. Hes not even that good at punchin either.

Eager had a bad year. Had a very slow start, likely due to his concussion. Eager is not a great player but I think hes certainly better than his other 2 linemates. I think he could have a bounce back year next season. Maybe get 20 points if he gets linemates as good as himself.

I think Eager is a good 4th liner.
Except the problem with this is that Eager himself feels he is better than that, and deserves higher slotting and minutes in the lineup too. At least, that's what I got from reading the subtext of what was said and commented on in the media.

I'm not impressed with the guy, and if they can divest themselves of him and Belanger (but still manage to replace what those two were supposed to bring) that would be a great starting point. I don't blame Tambellini for that.

Petrell should be re-signed, he brings exactly what you'd want from a 4th line guy and from all accounts seems well liked and knows his role in limited minutes. Maybe a 1 year deal, but I don't honestly know if he'd want that insecurity for himself and his family.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote