HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

The Antti Niemi Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=apparitionSHELL;49152997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I disagree totally, stay at home d-men are almost a thing of the past these days, and if anything we need to be getting rid of a few (Murray, White). Today a d-man really needs to be mobile, and 2-way. While putting up points is nice, by two-way I simply mean offensively competent, can move the puck, good first pass, smart bpinching. Vlasic is about the most 1-way i want our defensemen to be at this point.

...here's what happens when you have 2 offensive defensemen on ice, at the same time...

I don't disagree with your opinion...my observation tells me, that if 2 d-men are watching the puck, waiting for a turnover to head it back the other way, then the defensive focus is already gone. Defense wins championships. That goes for any sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFW1l...e_gdata_player
Did i say anything about offensive defensemen? No, I did not.

I said two-way defensemen. You need the majority of your defensive group to be two-way capable players these days. Pure offense is as bad or worse than pure defense. Vlasic is, as I said, as close as I want to get to a one-way defensemen, and he's got a decent two-way game when paired with the right patner.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
PinoyPowerPlay
Yes, I am Filipino.

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=hockeyball;49156705][QUOTE=apparitionSHELL;49152997]

Did i say anything about offensive defensemen? No, I did not.

Sorry brother, I didn't mean to upset u, I'm just keepin it Teal. I see things black/white. I don't claim to know everything about hockey, but I do try my best to pay attention. If you say Two-way defense, I hear offensive-defenseman. If you say two-way forward, I hear Pavel Datsyuk.

Being paired with Rob Blake, was the best thing that ever happened to Pickles' career. I believe in Vlasic's play, responsible, reliable and consistent (most of the time)

We have good puck moving D-men, I think we just need a near perfect balance, or better team work ethics/communication, so ppl don't get left wide open to take point blank shots on Niemi. Just sayin. Pretty sure we have some good pieces, just need different execution/results...but that's getting into something completely different.

Closed Thread