HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks/Isles

Old
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
BigDmitriy

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
What could we get from NYI for Clowe+Murray/Demers?

If we could get Bailey, Moulson, and a 2nd...I'd do it :]

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
LeapOnOver

Thanks for the feedback. On our board most are saying they don't want to do this because of Vlasic being a UFA in 2013 (which i was aware of). I think that if you let that kind of thinking govern your moves you will NEVER trade. It's easier to resign or extend a player than it is to get them through free agency and we all know the Isles can't lure anybody through free agency.

With that said it looks like the majority of you agree that it's an even value trade, but most seem attached to Vlasic. Thanks again for the feedback.

As far as Moulson is concerned, imo he's not going anywhere. He's the first Isle to have 3 30+ goal season since Ziggy Palffy. He's got a very affordable contract and he increased his assists this year. His chemistry with JT is undeniable and they were one of the best scoring lines in all of the NHL. Seriously, don't even think about it lol. He was right next door to you guys for awhile you should have snatched him from the Kings when you had the chance....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
I'm still wondering about Nielsen. How much?

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
I'm still wondering about Nielsen. How much?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:53 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Skeptical about Moulson, he will have a huge drop off when he leaves Tavares. He's a great player but we'd be trying to buy a player at the height of his "cost." Always buy low sell high.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Thanks for the feedback. On our board most are saying they don't want to do this because of Vlasic being a UFA in 2013 (which i was aware of). I think that if you let that kind of thinking govern your moves you will NEVER trade. It's easier to resign or extend a player than it is to get them through free agency and we all know the Isles can't lure anybody through free agency.

With that said it looks like the majority of you agree that it's an even value trade, but most seem attached to Vlasic. Thanks again for the feedback.

As far as Moulson is concerned, imo he's not going anywhere. He's the first Isle to have 3 30+ goal season since Ziggy Palffy. He's got a very affordable contract and he increased his assists this year. His chemistry with JT is undeniable and they were one of the best scoring lines in all of the NHL. Seriously, don't even think about it lol. He was right next door to you guys for awhile you should have snatched him from the Kings when you had the chance....
No problem.

And yeah, that mind-set is a problem. Every single time there's an Isles trade on the main boards, there's always 4 or 5 Isles posters that come in and say they won't do it because such and such is a UFA in 2 or 3 years. You're never going to make a trade if those are your parameters. Most players that have contracts 4+ years also have NTCs, and if you're all worried about UFAs walking, then what makes you think someone would waive for the Island?

And newsflash, teams like the Sharks have an even harder time signing free agents as the Islanders. Yet we continue to make trades.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

trade vlasic, get dumba. I LIKE IT.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
trade vlasic, get dumba. I LIKE IT.
That's a terrible mindset.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:08 AM
JeremyTB

How about Murray for John Tavaras? Sounds fair :-)

We will even throw in a pick just to do the isles a favor.

JeremyTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:37 AM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

If there is one defenseman in our organization that we cannot trade, it is Vlasic.

Murray on the other hand....

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyTB View Post
How about Murray for John Tavaras? Sounds fair :-)

We will even throw in a pick just to do the isles a favor.
That's terrible for them, but awesome for us. Although the pick would entice the package, Murray+pick will not get Tavares.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

How bout this.

Murray
3rd

For

Nielsen

And we sign Stuart.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:33 AM
JeremyTB

Quote:
That's terrible for them, but awesome for us. Although the pick would entice the package, Murray+pick will not get Tavares.
LOL I know. I was being sarcastic. There is nobody on our team that would get us Tavares.

JeremyTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Saucy Dangles

Quote:
How bout this.

Murray
3rd

For

Nielsen

And we sign Stuart.

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
LeapOnOver

I personally don't want Murray at all lol and am a huge Nielsen fan so you might have to bring that over to our boards because there are a bunch of people that feel Nielsen is expendable. I am not one of them. The only defenseman I'd be interested in on the sharks is Vlasic.

However, now that I think of it I might be willing to part with Nielsen for your 1st. That would allow us to draft one of those top 4 guys that are available and pick up one of these promising defenseman in the draft....

Old
04-25-2012, 08:11 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
No problem.

And yeah, that mind-set is a problem. Every single time there's an Isles trade on the main boards, there's always 4 or 5 Isles posters that come in and say they won't do it because such and such is a UFA in 2 or 3 years. You're never going to make a trade if those are your parameters. Most players that have contracts 4+ years also have NTCs, and if you're all worried about UFAs walking, then what makes you think someone would waive for the Island?

And newsflash, teams like the Sharks have an even harder time signing free agents as the Islanders. Yet we continue to make trades.
I don't know, there is always a certain appeal from players to play out West, that's undeniable. I think you have that going for you.

Yes, a lot of Islanders fans feel that way and they also complain that we don't make any trades because they forget an important fact you bring up about many top tier players having some sort of no movement clause.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:14 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't know, there is always a certain appeal from players to play out West, that's undeniable. I think you have that going for you.
Actually it's a widely accepted fact that unless the player is playing in an O6 team, or for their hometown team, they are much more likely to sign as a UFA in the Eastern conference due to travel and getting to stay closer to home more.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:31 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Actually it's a widely accepted fact that unless the player is playing in an O6 team, or for their hometown team, they are much more likely to sign as a UFA in the Eastern conference due to travel and getting to stay closer to home more.
Hmm, i dont' see that fact throughout the league?? I know many players stay on the east coast because they have thrown more money at players but there are several players who have even turned down more money to go to the West coast like Ryan Smyth as one that hits close to home...

It is an easier travel schedule that's well known but California is always alluring for Canadian boys who grew up on farms!!

Old
04-26-2012, 01:33 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Hmm, i dont' see that fact throughout the league?? I know many players stay on the east coast because they have thrown more money at players but there are several players who have even turned down more money to go to the West coast like Ryan Smyth as one that hits close to home...

It is an easier travel schedule that's well known but California is always alluring for Canadian boys who grew up on farms!!
Seriously? The Sharks haven't signed a top-6 forward or top-4 defenseman that isn't over the hill (Rob Blake, Jeremy Roenick) in recent memory.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:

it is an easier travel schedule that's well known but new york city is always alluring for canadian boys who grew up on farms!!
ftfy

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I happen to really like Josh Bailey, but the Sharks really don't have a need for yet another center. I would not even entertain thoughts of dealing Vlasic for him. The Sharks are not going to deal their best defenseman, and if they even think about it, it will be because a legitimate top-flight winger (young and under contract) is coming back. It's much like the Setoguchi deal. The only way Seto was being dealt was for a young, high-end defenseman (Burns).

And I would be very wary of Matt Moulson. He has found a nice niche for himself on John Tavares' wing, but I am not too confident in his ability to bring that type of production to the far more defensive and physical Western Conference.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Name the last big UFA that signed to a California team. Willie Mitchell?

Old
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Name the last big UFA that signed to a California team. Willie Mitchell?
The caliber of players that have been traded to California teams since the lockout blows away anything on the free agent market. Chris Pronger, Dan Boyle, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, etc. While California hasn't necessarily been a major destination for "big-name" UFA's, a vast number of elite veteran players (who would never hit the free agent market) specifically asked to be dealt here.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
The caliber of players that have been traded to California teams since the lockout blows away anything on the free agent market. Chris Pronger, Dan Boyle, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, etc. While California hasn't necessarily been a major destination for "big-name" UFA's, a vast number of elite veteran players (who would never hit the free agent market) specifically asked to be dealt here.
I suspect the reasoning behind that is pretty simple. Players with already established contracts like to come here because of the 'california atmosphere'. However, played that are willing to hit free agency (and not sign with their current team) are generally doing so for the opportunity to get a payday, and their agents are going to push them to do that as well. California teams, in general, are simply not going to be the highest bidders on a top UFA. Add to that our travel schedule and we are just at a disadvantage.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I suspect the reasoning behind that is pretty simple. Players with already established contracts like to come here because of the 'california atmosphere'. However, played that are willing to hit free agency (and not sign with their current team) are generally doing so for the opportunity to get a payday, and their agents are going to push them to do that as well. California teams, in general, are simply not going to be the highest bidders on a top UFA. Add to that our travel schedule and we are just at a disadvantage.
Generally speaking, the caliber of player that hits the open market as a UFA is between middle-of-the-road and very good. Very rarely do truly elite players hit the open market. That plays a role in why California teams don't tend to be overly active in free agency. Most free agents are solid players looking to be paid like stars. And the teams that will overpay them are almost always in the East. This year is an exception, as Ryan Suter and Zach Parise (both extremely high-end players) will hit the open market.