HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

4 hour meeting is over

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2004, 02:54 PM
User571

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to User571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Well thats gay. I knew it would "end" like this and we would have to wait another week for this seasons fate

Old
12-09-2004, 02:55 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
They have around another month to get a deal done. I'm going on when the 1995 lockout was settled.

i don't think they had the 45 day rolling cancellation, though. the earliest the season COULD start now...is 45 days away. If the season looks like it couldn't start until February, then I'm going to figure it's cancelled once and for all.

12-09-2004, 02:56 PM
struckmatch

There is still a glimmer of hope. I want to see the Press Conference, anyone know if TSN or SNET will be covering it in Canada?

Old
12-09-2004, 02:57 PM
I in the Eye
Drop a ball it falls

If the meetings went bad, I would assume that Goodenow's men would have tipped the media already (not give the NHL a chance to be proactive in their comments, but reactive)... Put the NHL 'on the spot'... Give the media time to prepare good questions...

The fact that the NHLPA are remaining hum, while the NHL has a newsconference scheduled for later today, to me, perhaps signals a cooperation... An agreement that the league would be the one to first make the statement...

Ya, I'm drawing straws here

Old
12-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck you
There is still a glimmer of hope. I want to see the Press Conference, anyone know if TSN or SNET will be covering it in Canada?
No doubt at least one of the Score, TSN or SNET will have it.

Old
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
vanlady

The one thing I find encouraging is the fact that there first stop wasn't to shoot there mouths off to the press. This may be a good sign. It is also a good sign that they took the proposal away, two things could happen, the owners have to see it before it could be voted on or the NHL could be preparing a counter. I think if they had shot there mouths off, you know they dismissed it, in 94 when they were close to a deal they got real quiet too.

Old
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
avalanche_country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Don't call yourself a fan, then.
I can call myself whatever I want thanks though,I really care what you say . I do not support greedy players and owners , hence why I quit watching baseball years ago. I can understand a half a season but a whole season ? screw that. I will join 99% of the rest of the US and forget there ever was Pro hockey here.

You guys enjoy this waterdown obstruction game and the CBA's laughable negotiations . the NHL was all but dead before this happened. I will dog this sport to no end to everyone I can if this lockout goes all season.

Old
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
My guess is the league is going to digest the NHLPA's new proposal and come up with a counter proposal. They will probably present it right before December 15th - because if the 45 day rule is still in effect - than that would mean the season would start at the end of January. I can't imagine it starting later than then.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Tuggy

The Score just said as soon as someone hits the podium they are going there.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM
struckmatch

Press Conference on the Score in Canada. Its probably on TSN as well, but the Score is preparing for the NHL's statements.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
DanKramerHabs
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to DanKramerHabs
Canadian Press is rumoured to be about to report talks in New York next Tuesday.

the fan 590

Old
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche_country
I can call myself whatever I want thanks though,I really care what you say . I do not support greedy players and owners , hence why I quit watching baseball years ago. I can understand a half a season but a whole season ? screw that. I will join 99% of the rest of the US and forget there ever was Pro hockey here.

You guys enjoy this waterdown obstruction game and the CBA's laughable negotiations . the NHL was all but dead before this happened. I will dog this sport to no end to everyone I can if this lockout goes all season.
well, if you despise hockey so much, then go chat on a phish messageboard or something. Leave us to our CBA pissing and moaning.

Old
amazingcrwns
drop the puck

the 45 day rule isn't set in stone. Right now things can be scheduled up until roughly Jan 23rd. There's nothing to stop them from just saying not to schedule anything past the 25th until Jan 1st which would give them the rest of the month to negotiate. It's a good point, but remember that it doesn't have to stay at 45 days.

Old
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

just reachng here, but could Bettman want to hear some input from the other teams who weren't involved in the meeting? I know they gave him total power but who knows

But i am still hopefully, especially with the players not going directly to the media saying the owners shot down their proposal

Old
12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Canadian Press is rumoured to be about to report talks in New York next Tuesday.

the fan 590
That would probably be when the NHL would offer it's counter proposal and IMO if no deal is reached by next week well....

Old
12-09-2004, 03:06 PM
DanKramerHabs
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to DanKramerHabs
Today's press conference is set for 4:45 PM est.

http://www.tsn.ca/

"There was apparenlty little progress made, and the NHL will hold a press conference at 4:45 PM ET to discuss the day's events."

Old
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
Today's press conference is set for 4:45 PM est.

http://www.tsn.ca/

"There was apparenlty little progress made, and the NHL will hold a press conference at 4:45 PM ET to discuss the day's events."

Whats the chances ESPN News shows it?? I know slim to none and slim just left the building

Old
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
well, if you despise hockey so much, then go chat on a phish messageboard or something. Leave us to our CBA pissing and moaning.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:08 PM
TonySCV
Golden

Canadian press: "The NHL will hold a press conference at 4:45 PM ET to discuss the day's events. A league spokesman said no talks were planned for tomorrow, but the two sides will get together again next week."

Old
struckmatch

^ TSN states that there was apparently little progress made, but talks will most likely resume next week.

Old
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche_country

Then your NOT a hockey fan, and you never were. Anyone who stops being a fan of a sport because of a work stoppage is a joke. Stick by the sport you love. I guess you dont.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I think we all knew that there would be a counter proposal. The PA's proposal does not include a link to salaries and revenue. It's a chess match. They will keep going back and forth until they both agree and time constrains them from doing so.

The league is playing its cards right by issuing a counter-proposal on Tuesday. The PA will likely have to accept it or propose something else almost immediately.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."-Noam Chomsky (1928-present)

nike...that's my favorite chomsky quote by far!

Old
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
vanlady

There is a press conference on the Score withing the hour.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

NOTHING IS CONFIMED. NO PRESS CONFERNCE, NO PROGRESS, NO DATES SET, NO BETTMAN LEAVING BACK TO NY. NOTHING. There is ZERO confirmed reports on ANYTHING. We will find out more as it slips out..but all sites/news stations are REPORTING different things because they didnt get any info. SO CALM DOWN EVERYONE and stop BELIVING EVERY LITTLE THING U HEAR.

Closed Thread