HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Network and media disregards Panthers

Old
04-26-2012, 05:57 AM
BlindRefs

vCash: 500
NHL Network and media disregards Panthers

Anyone else getting really annoyed at NHL network and everyone in the media for that matter?

Before the series, Paul Maurice say the Panthers will be swept. I don't mind that, everyone can have an opinion.

The coverage for the series has been weak at best. In the start of the series when covering hockey from the night before, tons of coverage, interviews, etc. for all the other matchups, then oh, and the Panthers beat the Devils, or oh, and Panthers/Devils tonight. Nothing else.

Then, they'd start covering the matchup a little, and basically it's all about the devils. Hardly anything from the Panther's side. Say the Devils gotta do this, or the Devils were great/poor at that. As if to just ignore that there were 2 teams out there. Either their goalie was great or terrible, that's why they won or lost, nothing about Panther's skill, which is looking really great.

This morning took the cake. Watching NHL network's NHL tonight replay, they had the woman saying how the Capitals will be watching tonight's game to see who they play. If Rangers win, they face the rangers, otherwise they can face either the Flyers or Devils. DEVILS?!?! As if they already won tonight's game! Are we going to see majorly contraversal calls from the ref's because they too want the Devils?

I know the Panthers may not have deserved some praise in the past, but we finished 3rd, came back from 3-0 to win the playoff game, shut out the Devils one game, lasting to 7, and honestly, I really do not see why they cannot WIN the game!

I think the Panthers more than earned the respect around the league, why are they still Rodney Dangerfield?!

BlindRefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:12 AM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

What we'll need:

1. 30+ goal scorer
2. Consecutive winning seasons
3. The Stanley Cup

That will give us about as much respect around the league and media as Tampa Bay has, which still isn't much. It's an uphill battle, we have a hockey club in a non-traditional market that has a history of losing seasons. I can understand why we're being dismissed, though I don't agree with it. The fact that we got the ship turned around so quickly probably is a detriment to people respecting our team. Seen as a fluke.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
I like it. It's exactly how it was all year long. Fly under the radar boys and take care of business.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
nhlfan9191

Saw Berry Melrose talk about the Devils like there the most amazing team in existence. Never said nothing about the Panthers. Pretty amazing how much being in a popular market affects how people look at your team. I also think it's rediculous Rinne got a nomination for the vezina over Smith.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:48 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindRefs View Post
Anyone else getting really annoyed at NHL network and everyone in the media for that matter?

Before the series, Paul Maurice say the Panthers will be swept. I don't mind that, everyone can have an opinion.

The coverage for the series has been weak at best. In the start of the series when covering hockey from the night before, tons of coverage, interviews, etc. for all the other matchups, then oh, and the Panthers beat the Devils, or oh, and Panthers/Devils tonight. Nothing else.

Then, they'd start covering the matchup a little, and basically it's all about the devils. Hardly anything from the Panther's side. Say the Devils gotta do this, or the Devils were great/poor at that. As if to just ignore that there were 2 teams out there. Either their goalie was great or terrible, that's why they won or lost, nothing about Panther's skill, which is looking really great.

This morning took the cake. Watching NHL network's NHL tonight replay, they had the woman saying how the Capitals will be watching tonight's game to see who they play. If Rangers win, they face the rangers, otherwise they can face either the Flyers or Devils. DEVILS?!?! As if they already won tonight's game! Are we going to see majorly contraversal calls from the ref's because they too want the Devils?

I know the Panthers may not have deserved some praise in the past, but we finished 3rd, came back from 3-0 to win the playoff game, shut out the Devils one game, lasting to 7, and honestly, I really do not see why they cannot WIN the game!

I think the Panthers more than earned the respect around the league, why are they still Rodney Dangerfield?!
I also found it funny that Brodeur puts up a shutout and all of a sudden there talking about him like he's playing in his prime again but when Theo does the same thing on a more difficult night, They hardly say a thing and all they show is the Zach Parise interview stating that our goalie got incredibly lucky and 50 pucks went threw him and wide. It's such BS sometimes. Some people treat the Panther's like low life peasants.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:55 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Well the Cats can give a big F-U to everyone by ending the Devils tonight.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I enjoy being the underdog personally.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:27 AM
aviators99

I totally agree with your observation. It's annoying, but I think it also makes us play better.

On the other hand, I was listening to the Sirius/XM NHL channel last evening, and the guy on there was giving us a lot of respect. He talked about watching the Panthers all year, and the playoff experience of the offseason signees. I believe he really did watch, because he spoke at length about Clemmensen vs Theodore during the last stretch of the regular season, and how he was really confused about how some Panthers fans thought it was a step down to start Clemmer.

aviators99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Realize the devils are a small market team in a big market. They have and do feel like a step sister to the big brother Rangers. they get very little local media coverage, even during their years of success. Their attendance is weaker than ours. Their stanley cup celebration took part....in their stadium parking lot. Their big headlines in the ny post all year is their filing of bankrupcy and feud betweeen the mayor and the owner over alleged unkept promises made by the owner to the city of Newark. Again this despite being one of the best on ice products in recent history.

So we really are just 2 orgs that share this Rodney danger field persona, albeit for different reasons. Neither will ever be the media darlings; both will always have a chip on their shoulder.

For our part, we are 60 mins away from making that chip look more like a diamond.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:31 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
I totally agree with your observation. It's annoying, but I think it also makes us play better.

On the other hand, I was listening to the Sirius/XM NHL channel last evening, and the guy on there was giving us a lot of respect. He talked about watching the Panthers all year, and the playoff experience of the offseason signees. I believe he really did watch, because he spoke at length about Clemmensen vs Theodore during the last stretch of the regular season, and how he was really confused about how some Panthers fans thought it was a step down to start Clemmer.
I listen to that station and despite being Canada based its very equal handed, as for ex yesterday they had tallon and flakov on.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Pantherfan12

I agree with most here.. We get no respect although we've proven all the critics wrong all season long. We didn't finish last in the East! We WON the SE division. We weren't swept by Jersey. Why can't we get respect? J.R and that fat @$$ Mike Milbury have a man crush on Jersey but no respect for the Panthers. I watched a commercial for the semifinals where they showed Jersey and NYR in that commercial, how do they know who is going to be in the semifinals? Do they know something we don't?

On the other hand, I love being the underdog. Let people over look us, so when we continue to win, we'll shock the hockey world. Let Jersey and their "superstars" overlook us and think we're a cake walk. Let the NHL network think that Jersey is in control of this series, instead of giving us our respect when we play a stellar game.. It's fine.. I Just want an apology and to hear them say " I was wrong" when the time comes and the Panthers made some real noise at the end of the post season.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Beezeral

This is what happens when we are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NHL. People get used to us sucking and would rather be lazy and pencil us in at 14th every year instead of actually doing research on the team and giving a well thought out evaluation. The lack of coverage is due to laziness, not dislike. Outside of a few old timer reporters who think hockey shouldnt be played south of the Mason-Dixon line, nobody dislikes us, they just want to delay admitting that they were wrong in the pre-season. So instead of giving our team credit, they call us a fluke and an early exit. Now if we win tonight, you will hear a little bit of praise for the panthers, but mostly how the talking heads overvalued the Devils a little bit and how we were a nightmare matchup for the devils, before quickly picking us to be out in 5 against Philly/Ottawa.

We need to make the playoffs a few years in a row before we shake the loser label. Need one of Markstrom, Gudbranson, Hubredeau, or Bjugstad to become a perennial all star. Only then will the Panthers stop being considered part of the dregs of the NHL

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
HockeyRulez
The moves like Jagr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
What we'll need:

1. 30+ goal scorer
3. The Stanley Cup

That will give us about as much respect around the league and media as Tampa Bay has, which still isn't much. It's an uphill battle, we have a hockey club in a non-traditional market that has a history of losing seasons. I can understand why we're being dismissed, though I don't agree with it. The fact that we got the ship turned around so quickly probably is a detriment to people respecting our team. Seen as a fluke.
This.

Winning the SE one year doesnt mean anything. You have to have great players and consecutive winning seasons to be popular in this league, only then will they talk about us and broadcast us more nationally.

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
What we'll need:

1. 30+ goal scorer
3. The Stanley Cup

1. 30+ goal scorer (Devils have 3)
2. Consecutive winning seasons (Devils made playoffs 15/16 years)
3. The Stanley Cup (Devils won 3 in 16 years)

And the Devils still garner no media coverage.........

At the end of the day, it's not about any of that stuff, it's about the size of the media market you play in, and how much $$$$ and ratings that will bring.

If you're not a mega-market, you dont get much attention, which is why the same small handful of teams generally get all the attention, year-after-year. But you know whats more important (sadly) than any of those above 1,2,3?

4. Super Mega-star - Which is why the Caps and Penguins get all the attention that they do.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
1. 30+ goal scorer (Devils have 3)
2. Consecutive winning seasons (Devils made playoffs 15/16 years)
3. The Stanley Cup (Devils won 3 in 16 years)

At the end of the day, it's not about any of that stuff, it's about the size of the media market you play in, and how much $$$$ and ratings that will bring.

If you're not a mega-market, you dont get much attention, which is why the same small handful of teams generally get all the attention, year-after-year. But you know whats more important (sadly) than any of those above 1,2,3?

4. Super Mega-star - Which is why the Caps and Penguins get all the attention that they do.
I said what we'll (Florida) need. New Jersey is competing directly with the New York teams and a crazy Atlantic division. Hitting those three points I brought out is going to make more of an impact for Florida than it has for New Jersey. I think relativity to the division you're in plays a part.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
aviators99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

I mentioned this in another thread, and it's really what bugs me the most. If these markets (Florida, Phoenix, etc.) don't have a big enough media market for the NHL and TV networks, why do we have franchises? Is the whole purpose of us to be the "bum a month" for the teams they really care about? We are solely here to give the huge portion of our ticket sales for the benefit of the other teams?

aviators99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Saw Berry Melrose talk about the Devils like there the most amazing team in existence. Never said nothing about the Panthers. Pretty amazing how much being in a popular market affects how people look at your team. I also think it's rediculous Rinne got a nomination for the vezina over Smith.
The most annoying thing in that talk was that he talked like that the Devils have all the veterans and SC experience in the world. Like our team is a bunch of rookies from the AHL. Do these "experts" even know who plays for our team? I doubt it.

Smith is the new kid on the block, Rinne is a veteran (sort of). I'm not surprised at all.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
I hope someone in the Panthers organization taped that and they show it to the guys in the locker room before the game. Get their dander up at being dismissed by all the "experts".

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:40 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I honestly don't mind it so much. Let the team use it as momentum to prove them wrong. If not this season, then in the future they'll silence critics right where they need it to.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

I do not care about being disregarded.

Lack of media coverage doesn't let in bad goals, kill penalties, score on breakaways, etc.

It has no impact on how our team plays on the ice.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Cosmonaut

Quote:
...well, there's no possible scenario where the Capitals would face the Panthers, so it makes sense to exclude them.

Panthers/Sens win = Capitals face Flyers.
Devils/Sens win = Capitals face Devils.
Rangers win = Capitals face Rangers

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I never stop by away teams boards, but today is dragging (as I'm sure you guys are aware) so I ventured over to check out your GDT, which looks fantastic.

Anyway, the reason the NHL analyst said that is because it's true. With two games left and the re-seeding process, there are three possible teams the Caps can face - The Rangers, Devils, and Flyers.

If the Rangers win, they will be the highest seed and since they eliminate the Sens, it means the Caps are the lowest seed advancing so they would play each other.

If the Sens win, then the Caps automatically become the 3 seed following the re-seeding process. Therefore, if the Panthers (and Sens) win, the Caps play the Flyers. If the Devils (and Sens) win, the Caps play the Devils.

She's not putting your team down, she's just stating that if the Rangers lose, the Caps matchup is down to the Flyers and Devils. In order to play the Flyers, the Panthers have to win.

I will agree the media is talking Devils more than Panthers, but not in this particular instance. Just wanted to clarify.

Edit: Apparently the post above me beat me to the point an hour ago

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:56 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

your welcome here anytime we are a friendly board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I never stop by away teams boards, but today is dragging (as I'm sure you guys are aware) so I ventured over to check out your GDT, which looks fantastic.

Anyway, the reason the NHL analyst said that is because it's true. With two games left and the re-seeding process, there are three possible teams the Caps can face - The Rangers, Devils, and Flyers.

If the Rangers win, they will be the highest seed and since they eliminate the Sens, it means the Caps are the lowest seed advancing so they would play each other.

If the Sens win, then the Caps automatically become the 3 seed following the re-seeding process. Therefore, if the Panthers (and Sens) win, the Caps play the Flyers. If the Devils (and Sens) win, the Caps play the Devils.

She's not putting your team down, she's just stating that if the Rangers lose, the Caps matchup is down to the Flyers and Devils. In order to play the Flyers, the Panthers have to win.

I will agree the media is talking Devils more than Panthers, but not in this particular instance. Just wanted to clarify.

Edit: Apparently the post above me beat me to the point an hour ago

Old
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
BlindRefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
...well, there's no possible scenario where the Capitals would face the Panthers, so it makes sense to exclude them.

Panthers/Sens win = Capitals face Flyers.
Devils/Sens win = Capitals face Devils.
Rangers win = Capitals face Rangers

Makes sense then. Thank you (and apice3) for the explanation. All of the other comments also add to the reasoning why this matchup was pushed to the back. Even though we care a ton, and want to hear everything there is to hear, that's it. And the amount the media talks more about the devils is still tons less than all the other matchups, so I imagine the devils fans feel slightly similar about being shafted. But, I think the local stations up there at least mention they are in the playoffs. Hardly see anything about it here.

BlindRefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
The most annoying thing in that talk was that he talked like that the Devils have all the veterans and SC experience in the world. Like our team is a bunch of rookies from the AHL. Do these "experts" even know who plays for our team? I doubt it.

Smith is the new kid on the block, Rinne is a veteran (sort of). I'm not surprised at all.
Panthers (players) have about 700 playoff games, Devils about 800 games.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote