HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber a Norris Trophy finalist.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Broom of the System

vCash: 500
Weber a Norris Trophy finalist.

Should have won last year, let's see what happens this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629702

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

This is the one a Predator brings home. Weber is obviously a better defenseman than Karlsson, even with Karlsson's impressive offensive output. The real battle is between Weber and Chara (especially since the Norris seems to be based more on the player's body of work over the career than it is based on the single season. See also: Nik Lidstrom last year.)

I think Weber inches by Chara this year the same way Lidstrom inched by Weber last. It will be a close vote between one and two, but Weber will come out on top.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Really need Weber to bring this one home.

I have a sinking feeling Karl will take away votes from Weber.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This is the one a Predator brings home. Weber is obviously a better defenseman than Karlsson, even with Karlsson's impressive offensive output. The real battle is between Weber and Chara (especially since the Norris seems to be based more on the player's body of work over the career than it is based on the single season. See also: Nik Lidstrom last year.)

I think Weber inches by Chara this year the same way Lidstrom inched by Weber last. It will be a close vote between one and two, but Weber will come out on top.
I'm not so sure Webs gets it. Between Karlsson's huge offensive numbers and the apparent eastern bias in voting there's no guarantee here. I'm guessing it was a close vote 1-3 ... Chara with the huge +/-, good total points total, and solid D ... Karlsson led the league in points and takeaways by a blueliner, decent +/- .... Weber with the lead in PP goals, tied for the blueliner total goal lead, and a plus 21.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I hope Weber wins...if he doesnt..

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:55 PM
pekkaslap

If Weber doesn't win it this year he probably won't win it. It's hard for any player who plays here to get the hype and pub a guy from the northeast gets. I know a lot of the writers just look at the first few statlines and say: "DAT POINT TOTAL" and vote for Karlsson. If he wins, just go ahead and rename it the "guy with the most points who happens to be listed as a defenseman" award.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I hope Weber wins...if he doesnt..
don't riotcouver on us

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think Karls and Chara split the eastern media vote and Weber comes out on top

karlssons dazzling numbers are largely assists, he and weber have the same number of goals but weber plays a complete game...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:11 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'm not so sure Webs gets it. Between Karlsson's huge offensive numbers and the apparent eastern bias in voting there's no guarantee here. I'm guessing it was a close vote 1-3 ... Chara with the huge +/-, good total points total, and solid D ... Karlsson led the league in points and takeaways by a blueliner, decent +/- .... Weber with the lead in PP goals, tied for the blueliner total goal lead, and a plus 21.
If it were voted on by people in positions within the NHL (like how GMs vote on the Vezina) Karlsson would have no shot in hell. His point totals are nice, but as far as defensemen go he is the low one on the totem pole here.

Weber was voted ahead of Chara last year, so I don't know that East Coast bias is going to be as much of a factor as people think. Last year Chara had slightly more short handed time on ice than Weber. He had less powerplay time and less ES TOI than Weber, though. Weber also had four more points with one more game played (irrelevant really).

This year that is still almost exactly the same except this year Chara had three more points than Weber with one more game played.

And the defenseman with the most points last year wasn't even in the top three vote getters.

Without Lidstrom I think Weber gets this one over Chara. I don't see the point difference coming into play, and I don't see Karlsson getting it for being the best offensive defensemen in the league. Hell, the kid played a grand total of 45 minutes on the PK over the entire season. He really can't be considered the best defenseman of the year if he can't even be trusted on the PK.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I wish they'd get a new trophy...something along the lines of the Bobby Orr or something like that so we can stop hearing about guys like Karllson or Greene.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:40 PM
preds1

Glad he's in the running again. He deserves every bit of it.

However, HFB will grab their pitchforks because of one incident; the Weber/Z thing.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If it were voted on by people in positions within the NHL (like how GMs vote on the Vezina) Karlsson would have no shot in hell. His point totals are nice, but as far as defensemen go he is the low one on the totem pole here.

Weber was voted ahead of Chara last year, so I don't know that East Coast bias is going to be as much of a factor as people think. Last year Chara had slightly more short handed time on ice than Weber. He had less powerplay time and less ES TOI than Weber, though. Weber also had four more points with one more game played (irrelevant really).

This year that is still almost exactly the same except this year Chara had three more points than Weber with one more game played.

And the defenseman with the most points last year wasn't even in the top three vote getters.

Without Lidstrom I think Weber gets this one over Chara. I don't see the point difference coming into play, and I don't see Karlsson getting it for being the best offensive defensemen in the league. Hell, the kid played a grand total of 45 minutes on the PK over the entire season. He really can't be considered the best defenseman of the year if he can't even be trusted on the PK.
This is an award voted on by sportswriters. Their hype feeds into their votes. Sometimes the best defenseman wins, sometimes it's a nostalgia vote, often times we see a guy like Green or Karlsson as a top three vote getter. Popularity and hype are just as much of considerations as performance.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Legionnaire11

It's always been Lidstrom and Chara blocking Weber. This SHOULD have been his year... and then out of nowhere comes Karlsson.

I really have a bad feeling that Karlsson's offensive contributions are just too huge for the voters to ignore. If he scored 55 or something to just barely lead d-men in scoring it would be another story, but he completely blew away the competition.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Weber won't win it. Too bad our games don't get more national exposure. At least we know who the best D-man really is. I really don't care about these popularity contests. Hopefully Bettman hands him the cup soon.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:43 PM
token grinder

if any of you do not think Shea Weber is hurt by playing here, you are crazy. The guys who vote on this know he iss one of the top dmen in the game. I kinda think people here prepare for the worst just in case.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
maplepred

Shea weber!!!!!!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Most of the pundits Ive read or seen on TV have said Karlsson or Weber. It is going to be one of those two, Im just afraid Karlsson might take it because it will be close.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Nitrous Mafia

weber will take this one home.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Third day in a row we get news of a Pred up for an award. At least one of the Preds have to win an award, right??

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
if any of you do not think Shea Weber is hurt by playing here, you are crazy. The guys who vote on this know he is one of the top dmen in the game. I kinda think people here prepare for the worst just in case.
You contridicted yourself he is 100% hurt by being a Pred put him in Det, NY, or in Canada and he already has a Norris or 2

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-26-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Third day in a row we get news of a Pred up for an award. At least one of the Preds have to win an award, right??
Preds never win any of the popularity contests. Unless it's completely obvious See Steve Sullivan.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
no.. we are notorious for our annual nominations and not winning.. almost makes me sick to my ****ing stomach.

weber should win over karlsson.. it is the best all around defenseman.. not a defenseman who plays like a winger. anyone see the sens/rangers series? he was shut down and was burned ALOT. norris trophy winner? psssh yeah, right...

poile should get his plain and simple. nominated time and time again... look what he has done here. by far the most active at trade deadline and won big time and improved our team. florida got lucky with their team.. the **** stuck on the wall imo... 18 OTL ? no way tallon gets it. STL was all hitchcock.. nothing to do with GM.

and rinne.. yeah quick should win that one. lundqvist shouldnt.. didn't play near as much nor was he as vital to his teams success. LA could not score for their lives... he lost numerous games 1-0...

we have won one award... the masterton (hahaha) .. thank you sully. poor nashville... flip nashville with detroit or new york.. and poile, trotz, rinne, and weber would have 5+ awards already.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:44 PM
dulzhok

I think Weber will get it; gut feeling.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I think Weber will get it; gut feeling.
I was nearly positive he would win last year, and still think it was a joke that Lidstrom won.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:29 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I'm gonna stick with my conspiracy theory that the Canadian media will vote Weber for Norris in hopes that if he wins it will drive his value out of the Preds price range and he will return home to a canadian team...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote