HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

dumb question but i gotta ask outta curiousity

Old
04-24-2012, 09:29 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gialloneri View Post
The idea of moving Crosby to keep Staal is Milburian (as in Mike Milbury) in its stupidity.
Awesome term.

*Stores deep in brain for use later on*

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
No Quarter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Awesome term.

Ya I like it too

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:00 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Some folks in this fanbase are hilarious.

When Sid's out with his concussion, fans are clamoring for any glimmer of hope he'll return to the line up. "Can't wait to see the best player in the world back on the ice. We're going to dominate!"

When Sid's returned from his concussion, fans want him dealt because he went scoreless in the final couple of games of a playoff series. "We could get a lot for him, and that way Staal can become the #2 center and this will be Malkin's team!"

This.

It's pathetic. In fact, it's past Milburian.

It's downright Roenickulous.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
River Man

I get that players may be considered "untouchable", but discussing topics intelligently should never be.

The OP's question wasn't anything offensive or disrespectful. Also, he's been posting on this board for 10 years. This isn't some type of trolling thread or whatever.

It's not that I want to see Crosby traded. I just don't like how there seems to be topics or issues that can't be discussed without people overreacting, or jumping down people's throats.

This is a message board. We should be able to discuss ideas that may seem absurd once in a while. It's just discussion. Us discussing trading a player will not make it a reality. I know it seems that way on the trade boards, but I'd like to think we are more enlightened on this board.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Ozz

**** that.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:37 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Man View Post
I get that players may be considered "untouchable", but discussing topics intelligently should never be.

The OP's question wasn't anything offensive or disrespectful. Also, he's been posting on this board for 10 years. This isn't some type of trolling thread or whatever.

It's not that I want to see Crosby traded. I just don't like how there seems to be topics or issues that can't be discussed without people overreacting, or jumping down people's throats.

This is a message board. We should be able to discuss ideas that may seem absurd once in a while. It's just discussion. Us discussing trading a player will not make it a reality. I know it seems that way on the trade boards, but I'd like to think we are more enlightened on this board.
2 quick things:

1) The reason threads like this get shut down are not because the original idea to just discuss what would go on if Sid was ever traded. Even though it makes no sense to start a thread like this, people are allowed to discuss any matter pertaining to the Pens. It's the responses and where the dialog goes that gets the thread closed.

2) On topic: Why in the world would I ever think of a reason to trade Sid? It would never happen. That's the thing. It's like discussing if a dinosaur was my pet. It's simply not going to happen. I understand the mind can wonder and draw up a few brilliant discussions, but there is simply NO trade the Pens would ever take for Crosby. Why, you ask? Nobody is going to give their whole team for him. Combine that w/ the cap and we get a non-existent argument.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Skillzz
Registered Boozer

vCash: 450
To EDM:
Sid
Paul Martin

To PIT:
RNH
Hall
Eberle
A cure for cancer/the common cold
Kate Upton (Via sign and trade)
The fountain of youth
The location of the lost city of Atlantis
Royal blue peanut Beanie Babie (one of the rarest in the world)
A giant box of Jujubees
Restraining order against Paul Martin

Skillzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Awesome term.

There's a college football message board I sometimes post on that replaced all obscenities with [Mark May].

So, here's a suggestion:

I can't [Millbury]ing believe how [Millbury]ing bad our first round series was. [Milbury] man, [Milbury].

I mean, it could work.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:37 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
2 quick things:

1) The reason threads like this get shut down are not because the original idea to just discuss what would go on if Sid was ever traded. Even though it makes no sense to start a thread like this, people are allowed to discuss any matter pertaining to the Pens. It's the responses and where the dialog goes that gets the thread closed.

2) On topic: Why in the world would I ever think of a reason to trade Sid? It would never happen. That's the thing. It's like discussing if a dinosaur was my pet. It's simply not going to happen. I understand the mind can wonder and draw up a few brilliant discussions, but there is simply NO trade the Pens would ever take for Crosby. Why, you ask? Nobody is going to give their whole team for him. Combine that w/ the cap and we get a non-existent argument.
What kind of dinosaur would you get??

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Xplosive 04

Rags fan here, I was looking through the boards and I had to comment on this. The pens have 2 of the best 3 players in the world, they also have the best team in league and will have the best team in the league for some time. Trading Sid, Gino, Fluery, Staal, Letang, or Neal would be crazy. Only reason they didn't finish first this year was no healthy Sid all year.

Xplosive 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive 04 View Post
Rags fan here, I was looking through the boards and I had to comment on this. The pens have 2 of the best 3 players in the world, they also have the best team in league and will have the best team in the league for some time. Trading Sid, Gino, Fluery, Staal, Letang, or Neal would be crazy. Only reason they didn't finish first this year was no healthy Sid all year.
Mate, I believe once Sid has this Off-Season and Training Camp to plot regaining world domination, look out

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:58 AM
River Man

Quote:
2 quick things:

I don't advocate trading Crosby. So lets be clear on that.

Secondly, while they are not as good of hockey players, I remember the surprise of many fans when Carter and Richards were dealt. Members on Philly's message board would have the same reaction to trading either Carter or Richards at the time. Also, those two had just recently signed decade+ contracts.

To suggest trading Sid, or Malkin for that matter, is the equivalent of discussing pet dinosaurs or some other prehistoric creature, is a bit disingenuous. I believe there would be legitimate hockey deals out there that could work for both parties.

Anyway, just my two cents.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:17 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

ObsessedCreative is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Dylonus

Unless we are literally getting the next Bobby Orr in the trade, Sid stays here for life or I will question whether this town really cares about hockey.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:35 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

If we trade Sid this will be me roaming the streets. Pounding Wild Irish Rose (not because I like the drink, but simply for the "crazy possibly homeless man carrying a sign while holding a cheap bottle of liquor effect") randomly chasing the occasional passer by screaming impossible to understand banter outside of the Consol Energy Center.

Last edited by SterlingBennett: 04-25-2012 at 02:41 AM.
SterlingBennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:36 AM
catdaddy
Maatasaurus Rex

Well, if we're talking a deal with Edmonton maybe we could get Gretsky.

Oh, I forgot, Edmonton would never deal Gretsky.

Never mind.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
PensFanSince1989

Who's Gretsky?

PensFanSince1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I don't advocate trading Crosby. So lets be clear on that.

Secondly, while they are not as good of hockey players, I remember the surprise of many fans when Carter and Richards were dealt. Members on Philly's message board would have the same reaction to trading either Carter or Richards at the time. Also, those two had just recently signed decade+ contracts.

To suggest trading Sid, or Malkin for that matter, is the equivalent of discussing pet dinosaurs or some other prehistoric creature, is a bit disingenuous. I believe there would be legitimate hockey deals out there that could work for both parties.

Anyway, just my two cents.
There's a big difference between Carter, Richards and Crosby. There are equal to better players on almost every team to those two so there is at least a chance to get equal value in a trade. Crosby is the best player in the world. No matter the trade, you aren't getting the best player back.

Look at the Richards trade, they got Schenn (who many predicted would be as good or better than Richards some day) and Simmonds. You would never be able to say that about trading Crosby. Add on top of that the leadership/team chemistry issues with Carter and Richards, and the deals make sense. Unless Crosby whines and moans for a trade or another prospect comes along with an equal/higher upside, then there is literally zero reason to trade him.

Plus, with the salary cap, there really isn't a fair value trade that a team could afford long term. Take Edmonton, say we traded Crosby for at least 2 of RNH, Hall, and Eberle + 1st overall + other picks (not saying Edmonton does this just saying it's the kind of value Shero would want). Even if it could be argued that we got "fair value" for the trade, there is no way we could afford to sign that core along with Malkin, Staal, Neal, Letang etc long term.

In conclusion, it's fine to discuss, but there is zero reason to think it is remotely possible unless some major unforeseen circumstances take place.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:25 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
Again I don't want to trade crosby so don't talk to me like I'm a d bag.
I just threw it out there as another direction to look at who and how we're gonna sign our star players in the near future. Actually id be very depressed if we traded sid but there's alwYs that very very slim possibility it could happen and I just wanted to here some opinions about it.
And also getting past the sid thing, you really think clowe is a loser? Id love to have that kid on my team and Pavelski too. Brent Burns is another player on that squad of losers I d love to see on a guins jersey.
I agree with you. It is an interesting question to talk about.

Crosby's injury makes him more of a risk and Malkin can carry a team. This is a something worth dicussing for those who can control their emotions.

So those people who react in a condescending matter, well, that is on them. Makes them feel like winners.

justsayin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:28 AM
justsayin*

Quote:

100% correct. Nothing that we ever discuss on here has any bearing on what really happens. So those who judge the veracity of comments here are displaying internet-fantastic self-importance.

Old
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
2 quick things:

That's not fair Cole. Who's to say what will happen?

You can shut down threads, suspend accounts, give infractions and erase this message; but the beauty of this site is to bring interesting topics to discussion. People come here to imagine possibilities.

It is only the fault of those who respond ignorantly for their ignorance. Not the poster, who has an interesting thought.

Last edited by justsayin*: 04-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old
04-25-2012, 08:33 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
There's a big difference between Carter, Richards and Crosby. There are equal to better players on almost every team to those two so there is at least a chance to get equal value in a trade. Crosby is the best player in the world. No matter the trade, you aren't getting the best player back.

Look at the Richards trade, they got Schenn (who many predicted would be as good or better than Richards some day) and Simmonds. You would never be able to say that about trading Crosby. Add on top of that the leadership/team chemistry issues with Carter and Richards, and the deals make sense. Unless Crosby whines and moans for a trade or another prospect comes along with an equal/higher upside, then there is literally zero reason to trade him.

Plus, with the salary cap, there really isn't a fair value trade that a team could afford long term. Take Edmonton, say we traded Crosby for at least 2 of RNH, Hall, and Eberle + 1st overall + other picks (not saying Edmonton does this just saying it's the kind of value Shero would want). Even if it could be argued that we got "fair value" for the trade, there is no way we could afford to sign that core along with Malkin, Staal, Neal, Letang etc long term.

In conclusion, it's fine to discuss, but there is zero reason to think it is remotely possible unless some major unforeseen circumstances take place.
Shady, this is the exact point I was making with TK being the center of a trade for Stewart. The cap has to be considered in every trade. You can bring back a ton of talent, but can you sign them when they hit RFA and UFA.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

I've considered it. I would never start a thread about it on HF, but I've considered it.

Of course, I'm in the extreme minority of Pens fans who has always believed that Sid's career will end early due to injury, or at least his prime will be cut short and his effectiveness limited. So the only reason I've considered trading Sid is because I'm a pathological pessimist.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
vikingGoalie

good points in this thread by some.

I would never want to see Crosby traded.

But if we look at this objectively. Let's say for sake of argument that Shero knows more about what goes on behind the scenes then, say, all of us.
Furthermore what if there is some locker room issues that led to Malkin going into a shell after Crosby came back and caused overall team performance to dip, or what if there is some serious concern about Crosby's long term health due to info that they have that we don't.

*IF* that was the case then Shero would be an idiot to not at least consider his options. I'm not saying that any of the above are legitimate concerns, certainly not mine. But no one is untradeable, Crosby is close but not there.

It should be interesting to see what Sid looks like after a "normal" off season.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
That's not fair Cole. Who's to say what will happen?

You can shut down threads, suspend account, give infractions and erase this message; but the beauty of this site is to bring interesting topics to discussion. People come here to imagine possibilities.

It is only the fault of those who respond ignorantly for their ignorance. Not the poster, who has an interesting thought.
why are you describing HF like its Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Its a bunch of fantasy GMs(myself included)

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote