HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

dumb question but i gotta ask outta curiousity

Old
04-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
good points in this thread by some.

I would never want to see Crosby traded.

But if we look at this objectively. Let's say for sake of argument that Shero knows more about what goes on behind the scenes then, say, all of us.
Furthermore what if there is some locker room issues that led to Malkin going into a shell after Crosby came back and caused overall team performance to dip, or what if there is some serious concern about Crosby's long term health due to info that they have that we don't.

*IF* that was the case then Shero would be an idiot to not at least consider his options. I'm not saying that any of the above are legitimate concerns, certainly not mine. But no one is untradeable, Crosby is close but not there.

It should be interesting to see what Sid looks like after a "normal" off season.

This has been proven false time and time again. Geno had 17 points in 12 games once Sid came back. Hardly what I would call going into a shell.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
good points in this thread by some.

I would never want to see Crosby traded.

But if we look at this objectively. Let's say for sake of argument that Shero knows more about what goes on behind the scenes then, say, all of us.
Furthermore what if there is some locker room issues that led to Malkin going into a shell after Crosby came back and caused overall team performance to dip, or what if there is some serious concern about Crosby's long term health due to info that they have that we don't.

*IF* that was the case then Shero would be an idiot to not at least consider his options. I'm not saying that any of the above are legitimate concerns, certainly not mine. But no one is untradeable, Crosby is close but not there.

It should be interesting to see what Sid looks like after a "normal" off season.
Yeah, I don't think Malkin went into a shell when Crosby came back.

But there's no denying that his return did effect the team, and maybe not in ways that were anticipated. Shero commented a couple of times in the end of season presser that they were going to be looking at why the team 'unraveled' at the end of the season.

And it's not gone unnoticed outside of the Pens management ... Elliotte Friedman makes these points in his 30 thoughts:

Quote:
24. As Shero, head coach Dan Bylsma and Pittsburgh's hockey operations department break down the season, here is a stat they must explain. Crosby returned March 15 and, to that point, the Penguins had allowed 2.5 goals per game. Afterwards, it rose to 3.9, including playoffs. Getting him back should never be a negative, but you wonder if there's some kind of problem assimilating him into the lineup.

25. One NHL coach doesn't think Crosby is the issue: "They started to believe their press clippings and lost attention to detail."
I've said before that I don't think it's the players buying into the media hype. They were projected to win the Cup before the season even started. It was always there. Like I've said in other threads, I just don't think there was enough time for the team (and coaching staff) to adjust to the changes his return brought about.

A full season together as a team with some system changes and I think the Pens would be resting up right now waiting to see who they face in round two and the Philly girls would be shaving their playoff 'staches.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
No. Trading to anyone wouldn't work due to the pieces they'd have to give up. Also, we wouldn't do it. He's an elite player. Not happening.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:26 AM
BRINGITHH8771*

To edm:
Crosby
Martin
Dupuis
Lovejoy

Pitt:
Hall
Hopkins
Hemsky
Eberle
Whitney

Only was a deal could happen there but..... I wouldnt want to get rid of sid. Plus he is the biggest marketing chip in the game

BRINGITHH8771* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGITHH8771 View Post
To edm:
Crosby
Martin
Dupuis
Lovejoy

Pitt:
Hall
Hopkins
Hemsky
Eberle
Whitney

Only was a deal could happen there but..... I wouldnt want to get rid of sid. Plus he is the biggest marketing chip in the game
Very soon Sidney Crosby will be a UFA and the Edmonton Oilers would want some sort of guarantee that Crosby would resign there and considering that Edmonton has a reputation of a place where Free Agents don't want to go then why would the Oilers risk dumping 3 young talented players for a very short term fix?

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Isildur1

I don't think the notion of at least discussing the possibility of trading Crosby is all that crazy.

Having Crosby on your team is not a prerequisite to winning a championship. This is now his seventh year in the league and in six other years teams have managed to win a Cup without him.

How confident are you in his health going forward? He has played in just 63 combined regular season games the past two seasons.

What will his production be like going forward? He had a lot of points when he came back, but his shooting percentage was the lowest it has ever been in his career and he just did not look as dominant day-in and day-out like he used to, IMHO.

If you could get a huge haul for him, wouldn't you at least consider it?

Isildur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur1 View Post
I don't think the notion of at least discussing the possibility of trading Crosby is all that crazy.

Having Crosby on your team is not a prerequisite to winning a championship. This is now his seventh year in the league and in six other years teams have managed to win a Cup without him.

How confident are you in his health going forward? He has played in just 63 combined regular season games the past two seasons.

What will his production be like going forward? He had a lot of points when he came back, but his shooting percentage was the lowest it has ever been in his career and he just did not look as dominant day-in and day-out like he used to, IMHO.

No, No and NO!

Sid is and will be fine. He took a helluva beating in the Flyers series and has no symptoms. I, for one, am not worried about his health.

Granted you do not need Sid to win a SC, but he is the face of this franchise and it's heart and soul. That is something you do not trade away. His production? Did you see what he did when he came back playing with Tyler Kennedy and Matt Cooke? He is going to be in beast mode all season next year. Book it.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Step 1: Crosby to TOR for Reimer + Bozac + Schenn
Step 2: Pick up Parise as free agent
Step 3: Use any combo of Kunitz/Orpik/Martin/Lovejoy/Bortuzzo/Adams to acquire Clowe from SJS, move rest for picks/prospects
Step 4: BOOM! Profit!

And, no, I am not serious

::EDIT::
So, just for the lolz, ran that thru Cap Geek using this season's cap:

FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Jordan Staal ($7.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m)
Veteran Presense ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.000m)
Brian Strait ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,331,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,968,333

Last edited by DegenX: 04-25-2012 at 01:27 PM.
DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Step 1: Crosby to TOR for Reimer + Bozac + Schenn
Step 2: Pick up Parise as free agent
Step 3: Use any combo of Kunitz/Orpik/Martin/Lovejoy/Bortuzzo/Adams to acquire Clowe from SJS, move rest for picks/prospects
Step 4: BOOM! Profit!

And, no, I am not serious

::EDIT::
So, just for the lolz, ran that thru Cap Geek using this season's cap:

FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Jordan Staal ($7.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m)
Veteran Presense ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.000m)
Brian Strait ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,331,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,968,333
Boom....you just gave up your captain and the best player in the world and your defense still sucks. I am serious!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

If either Malkin or Crosby were traded (not on request), I probably wouldn't be a Pens fan anymore. You will not get an equal return cap wise or talent wise. And even if you got the return talent wise, the cap hit would be worse than keeping them. I lived through that before I'm not going to do it again.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:54 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

For the folks talking about Gretz being traded, that kind of trade will never happen again, ever. Why? It's not because the face of a league can't be traded, or a super star can't be traded... it's because Wayne was traded to help the league grow. By trading him to the second largest city in the US, and one that has places like ESPN, etc. stationed there, they knew (hoped) it would grow the game by taking his face out of Edmonton, and putting it in the center of the US (not geographically speaking). I'm sure a lot of you knew/know this, but some people bring the trade down to a level that's just someone being traded. Now that the league is probably as popular as it'll get in the US, you aren't going to have a trade like this, ever again.

Anyway...

It's strange you say this OP, because I was thinking of this exact situation today. Sids contract + Martins. A team would take Martin if they wanted Sid. That's close to 14 million in cap to sign a few stars with. Esp, with the young D we have in the farms, near ready.I still think Sids the best player in the world, and if he were to play like such and remain healthy, there's no way I'd ever think of trading him, but brain injuries are no joke. There's a very real chance, just as there is with anyone (but more so now with Sid), that we could lose him because of another concussion. Can you just imagine what we could get for Sid? It would be very interesting to see. I know the franchise will never trade him, but I'd probably pull the trigger on a trade if he went down with another big concussion.

As wrong as that is (Uh, hey Sid, we know you've been nothing but amazing for us and you built this arena and saved this franchise, but... uh... your head. It's not good for business. So, we're shipping you out while we can to strip another franchise of their top stars. Thanks!) this is a business and you have to make tough decisions like this to remain successful.

Now, here's to hoping we never have to see our franchise entertain such an idea.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I'm not sure Vancouver would even do this, but lets say Pittsburgh was on board.

Malkin, E. $8,700,000
Sedin, Daniel $6,100,000
Sedin, Henrik $6,100,000

Neal, James $5,000,000
Kunitz, Chris $3,725,000
Kennedy, T. $2,000,000
Burrows, A. $2,000,000
Cooke, Matt $1,800,000
Dupuis, P. $1,500,000
Adams, Craig $675,000
Jeffrey, D. $575,000
Vitale, Joe $550,000
Defensemen (6)
Bieksa, Kevin $4,600,000
Michalek, Z. $4,000,000
Orpik, Brooks $3,750,000
Letang, Kris $3,500,000
Engelland, D. $566,667
Lovejoy, Ben $525,000
Goaltenders (1)
Fleury, M. $5,000,000
Totals
Roster Size 19
Upper Limit $64,300,000
Cap Payroll $60,666,667
Bonuses $0
Cap Space $3,633,333

We trade Crosby, Staal, and Martin for the Canucks first line + Bieksa. I would seriously entertain this.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Burrows-Sedin-Sedin
Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Adams-Vitale-Dupuis

Bieska-Letang
Michalek-Orpik
Engo-Nisky
Lovejoy

Fleury

The 3 mill can be used to either sign another 3rd line center + Nisky and a backup.

Because Sid is so good, it's hard to really gauge, but thats probably a better team, is it not?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
why are you describing HF like its Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Its a bunch of fantasy GMs(myself included)
I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

Please expand upon your comment.

justsayin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:19 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
No, No and NO!

Sid is and will be fine. He took a helluva beating in the Flyers series and has no symptoms. I, for one, am not worried about his health.

Granted you do not need Sid to win a SC, but he is the face of this franchise and it's heart and soul. That is something you do not trade away. His production? Did you see what he did when he came back playing with Tyler Kennedy and Matt Cooke? He is going to be in beast mode all season next year. Book it.
Do you know this for sure?

But seriously, your assertions are more severe than what you rail against.

At least people enjoying this conversations aren't speaking from fact.

You throw out a lot of "facts" with 0 substantiation.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Do you know this for sure?

But seriously, your assertions are more severe than what you rail against.

At least people enjoying this conversations aren't speaking from fact.

You throw out a lot of "facts" with 0 substantiation.
Quote:
On if he had any symptoms after the collisions in the playoff games:
No, I felt good.

Quote:
And then there is center and captain Sidney Crosby, who turned down Team Canada but stressed that he has no concussion or related symptoms and no other injuries

I will take his word over your speculation any day of the week.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
I will take his word over your speculation any day of the week.
I'm not speculating at all. I am saying no one knows.

But you are free to believe as you please.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
I'm not sure Vancouver would even do this, but lets say Pittsburgh was on board.

Malkin, E. $8,700,000
Sedin, Daniel $6,100,000
Sedin, Henrik $6,100,000

Neal, James $5,000,000
Kunitz, Chris $3,725,000
Kennedy, T. $2,000,000
Burrows, A. $2,000,000
Cooke, Matt $1,800,000
Dupuis, P. $1,500,000
Adams, Craig $675,000
Jeffrey, D. $575,000
Vitale, Joe $550,000
Defensemen (6)
Bieksa, Kevin $4,600,000
Michalek, Z. $4,000,000
Orpik, Brooks $3,750,000
Letang, Kris $3,500,000
Engelland, D. $566,667
Lovejoy, Ben $525,000
Goaltenders (1)
Fleury, M. $5,000,000
Totals
Roster Size 19
Upper Limit $64,300,000
Cap Payroll $60,666,667
Bonuses $0
Cap Space $3,633,333

We trade Crosby, Staal, and Martin for the Canucks first line + Bieksa. I would seriously entertain this.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Burrows-Sedin-Sedin
Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Adams-Vitale-Dupuis

Bieska-Letang
Michalek-Orpik
Engo-Nisky
Lovejoy

Fleury

The 3 mill can be used to either sign another 3rd line center + Nisky and a backup.

Because Sid is so good, it's hard to really gauge, but thats probably a better team, is it not?
That is nothing close to a better team.

The Pens upgrade by going from Martin to Bieksa. But that is the same Kevin Bieksa who was almost run out of town before being paired with one of the best defensive defensemen in the game in Dan Hamhuis. Without Hamhuis there to cover his mistakes, Bieksa can look decidedly Phaneufian at times.

But the defensive upgrade on the blueline is completely negated by the defensive downgrade up front. Sid's got just about as good a defensive game as you can have while still scoring 100 points, while Staal is a Selke candidate. They replace those two with Henrik, whose D is non-existent, and Dustin Jeffrey, a middling prospect.

And how do you propose a trade involving Sid and Staal and not get one player under the age of 30 back? Especially when Burrows' contract is up after next year, and the Sedins' the year after that. You don't think the Canucks would give up one extra year of the (already 32 year old) Sedins to get Sid alone? That's craziness.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
im listening to 93.7 on the radio right now and they're asking who do you keep out of those three and i just keep hearing so many people talk about trading one of crosby or malkin and keeping staal. I just don't get it at all. I am a big Staal fan, I have his jersey but the thought that he is even close to being in the league of Crosby and Malkin is ludicrous. If it's a choice between one of those 3 Staal will go 10 times out of 10. What on earth are those people thinking? Malkin just won the damn Hart and Art Ross (2nd time Art Ross) and has won the Conn Smyth in the past. Crosby... he's won everything except the Conn Smyth. Staal hasnt won a thing, been a complimentary piece on the team and when asked to step up has performed decent but nothing like the kind of guy that teams need to change their gameplans around like Crosby and Malkin.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:

The reasoning (outlined in the bolded) for why it's plausible to think of trading Crosby is completely nuts, IMO. Because you're not guaranteed (he's not a "prerequisite to win the Cup" -- whatever that means) to win a Cup with Crosby every year, then you might as well entertain trading him?

Lemieux won 2 Cups over 17 seasons with the Pens, which meant that teams other than the Pens won the Cup in 15 of his 17 seasons. Would it have made sense to deal Lemieux in his prime for a big return, then, since he failed to bring the Cup to Pittsburgh in 15 out of his 17 seasons?

Also note: Lemieux also had the injury concern tag attached to him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:01 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
im listening to 93.7 on the radio right now and they're asking who do you keep out of those three and i just keep hearing so many people talk about trading one of crosby or malkin and keeping staal. I just don't get it at all. I am a big Staal fan, I have his jersey but the thought that he is even close to being in the league of Crosby and Malkin is ludicrous. If it's a choice between one of those 3 Staal will go 10 times out of 10. What on earth are those people thinking? Malkin just won the damn Hart and Art Ross (2nd time Art Ross) and has won the Conn Smyth in the past. Crosby... he's won everything except the Conn Smyth. Staal hasnt won a thing, been a complimentary piece on the team and when asked to step up has performed decent but nothing like the kind of guy that teams need to change their gameplans around like Crosby and Malkin.
I think people are seeing that the Pens played so well without Crosby. Then they imagine what you could get back in exchange for Crosby. It is practical and if you take emotion out of it, there is some sense there.

However, the marketing he brings is massive and the PR hit the Pens would take, would suck.

Think of how the Pens could build the defensive by trading him. So, in theory, it makes sense more sense than not.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

I said when Sid returned that the pp would dive bc the team relies on him to be superman. Though he and malkin can do that they shouldn't be relied upon to carry the team. I believe that when did came back the team just thought they didn't have to try as hard.

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
popo6

yes maybe in some time there would come time when we move sid or geno but its not the time yet....

popo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
I think people are seeing that the Pens played so well without Crosby. Then they imagine what you could get back in exchange for Crosby. It is practical and if you take emotion out of it, there is some sense there.

However, the marketing he brings is massive and the PR hit the Pens would take, would suck.

Think of how the Pens could build the defensive by trading him. So, in theory, it makes sense more sense than not.
No there is not much sense in trading him. You will never get equal return. At least in trading Staal, there is a decent chance you get equal return. Unless it's Weber and Suter (which doesn't work for cap reasons anwyay), there isn't a trade out there that is remotely close to a better deal for the Penguins.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Saku11

Quote:

Did teams with Mario/Wayne win championships every year?

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
justsayin*

Just for perspective, this is the kind of return Crosby could get from Edmonton.

Crosby
Martin
Strait
Lovejoy

for

Eberle
Lander
MPS
Marincin
Klefbom
2012 1st Overall
2012 2nd
2013 1st

You'd be looking at a team like this in 2013-2014, 2014-2015:

Eberle - Malkin - Yakupov
Kunitz - Staal - Neal
MPS/Tangradi - Lander - Dupuis
Veteran - Vitale - Kuehnhackl
Bennett

Letang - Despres
Klefbom - Morrow
Marincin - Engelland
Bortuzzo

So there is value and having a young team with great depth.