HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wayne Gretzky's Last Game, At The Garden

Old
04-25-2012, 12:55 PM
IAMREALITY

vCash: 500
Wayne Gretzky's Last Game, At The Garden

I was there. I had to hunt down good tickets and paid literally $700 bucks for each of them. Some may say that's exorbitant, but there were no regrets. They were worth every damn penny.

The game itself was awkward. There was this almost eery silence throughout and it was almost as if the players were just going through the motions while knowing there was something so much greater than the game taking place. The Great One was leaving us, for good.

The silence didn't last.

As the game ended and the torch officially had been passed to Jagr, Gretzky came out on the ice. Alone. It was then that the magic truly started.

We screamed, we shouted, we stomped, we clapped. The building shook, the floors rumbled, the ceiling rattled, the ovation grew stronger by each moment to a beyond thunderous applause.

But this was no fleeting moment. If I recall correctly, we kept this going for well over 20 minutes straight. By the end none of us could speak, our hands were red, sore and chaffed. But every single person there knew, and understood, the magic that just took place.

Never before nor again, not in the 94 playoffs, not when retiring Mess's jersey, not in any other sport nor any other arena, have I ever heard a crowd so loud. To this day, just even a passing thought of that game gives me goosebumps.

I say this because we have an opportunity tomorrow to start something new. We have an opportunity to bring magic to the Garden. It needs to start here, it needs to start now.

So I have a simple message to any of you reading this that are going to the game tomorrow night: If you go home and can hear yourself talk, then shame on you.

Here's to hoping tomorrow night, every one of us watching will feel that magic, and get those goosebumps.

That is all.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I was there. I had to hunt down good tickets and paid literally $700 bucks for each of them. Some may say that's exorbitant, but there were no regrets. They were worth every damn penny.

The game itself was awkward. There was this almost eery silence throughout and it was almost as if the players were just going through the motions while knowing there was something so much greater than the game taking place. The Great One was leaving us, for good.

The silence didn't last.

As the game ended and the torch officially had been passed to Jagr, Gretzky came out on the ice. Alone. It was then that the magic truly started.

We screamed, we shouted, we stomped, we clapped. The building shook, the floors rumbled, the ceiling rattled, the ovation grew stronger by each moment to a beyond thunderous applause.

But this was no fleeting moment. If I recall correctly, we kept this going for well over 20 minutes straight. By the end none of us could speak, our hands were red, sore and chaffed. But every single person there knew, and understood, the magic that just took place.

Never before nor again, not in the 94 playoffs, not when retiring Mess's jersey, not in any other sport nor any other arena, have I ever heard a crowd so loud. To this day, just even a passing thought of that game gives me goosebumps.

I say this because we have an opportunity tomorrow to start something new. We have an opportunity to bring magic to the Garden. It needs to start here, it needs to start now.

So I have a simple message to any of you reading this that are going to the game tomorrow night: If you go home and can hear yourself talk, then shame on you.
Here's to hoping tomorrow night, every one of us watching will feel that magic, and get those goosebumps.

That is all.
Awesome. Just awesome.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I will be coming home with no voice...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
I'll be there and I'm almost certain I'll lose my voice by the time the night is over.

LET'S GO RANGERS!

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Let's go rangers!!!

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
bubba5

I was at that game. Different feeling because team was bad and out of the playoff race way before that so all the attention was on Wayne and game was secondary.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

That's the first game than I can remember ever watching. Was 4 years old at the time. One of my earliest, distinct memories.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Not sure what to make of this post.

My first reaction is its a testament to how crappy this organization has been when Gretzky's last game and a first round game 7 stirs up so many emotions.

I was around in '94. That was emotional.

Gretzky's last game was a wonderful moment for hockey's greatest player. It was incidentally in the middle of the darkest period of Ranger's history.

Tomorrow night is, by all intents and purposes, a first round playoff game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:01 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Not sure what to make of this post.

My first reaction is its a testament to how crappy this organization has been when Gretzky's last game and a first round game 7 stirs up so many emotions.

I was around in '94. That was emotional.

Gretzky's last game was a wonderful moment for hockey's greatest player. It was incidentally in the middle of the darkest period of Ranger's history.

Tomorrow night is, by all intents and purposes, a first round playoff game.

You're right... It is.

But I wasn't trying to make the game out to be more than it is. What you don't realize about your statement is that it makes it seem as though the message stops there. A first round game 7, nothing more. But I look at it differently. I look at it as one more stepping stone on the road to the Cup. My point is that from tomorrow, to every other home game we play in the playoffs, I want our building to be known as quite simply; the loudest. I want our fans to literally be the 21'st player on the bench. So loud and intimidating that we get in the other team's heads. I know for certain we can outcheer any other fanbase, when only we choose. I'm simply saying let's choose, starting tomorrow, to honor this team and it's sacrifice with our voices, our hands, our feet, and let the opponent know we are a force to be reckoned with.

I'm babbling, I know. But does that make any sense?

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
nyahay bus

I went to a Rangers-Oilers game at MSG in 1986 in which the Rangers led 6-2 after 2. The Oilers stormed back in the 3d to tie it, then win in OT 7-6. Paid 5 bucks for a ticket on 7th avenue before the game.

nyahay bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
RangerFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
So I have a simple message to any of you reading this that are going to the game tomorrow night: If you go home and can hear yourself talk, then shame on you
I had no voice after Game 1, You can bet if I have a voice at the end of the 1st period I'll be ashamed of myself. LGR! Can't wait to be part of the crazy crowd at MSG tomorrow!

RangerFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote