HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Offseason Recon Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The only package the Oilers should entertain from Pittsburgh barring the ones they'd never do (ie: Crosby, Malkin) is Staal + Letang for no.1 + Gagner/Paajarvi.

That's it.

If you're taking less than that, have fun watching Yakupov explode in Pittsburgh while you have "pretty good" players in return.
I love homer trade proposals. I just politely said 'no thanks' on the Pens board of Staal (with a contract extention) + Martin (who has been stinking up the 'Burgh) for Yak and Smid. Wow...

Old
05-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
That may be true, but hockey is more than just points. Staal brings a lot more to the table than just points. He's every team's dream 2nd line centre, except 1, the Penguins. Where they have Crosby and Malkin, who are probably the top 2 centres on the planet. But, back to Staal, he's big, he can score (basically a lock for 20 goals, with the potential to score 30, with more ice time), he's physical, he's good defensively, and he kills penalties. Like it or not, top 6 centres are a lot harder to find, than top 6 wingers. If Yakupov peaks out as a 70 point winger (Hemsky like stats), than I'd take Staal over him. But, no one knows how good Yakupov is going to be, so with his unknown potential, and the fact that we own his rights for at least 7 seasons, and the fact that Staal is only locked up for 1 more year. I'd take Yakupov over Staal, all day long.
Hemsky can only dream of shooting the puck like Yakupov does. And Yakupov wants to score.

Eberle is the only player on our team that's even close really.

LETANG should actually be the centerpiece of any deal with Pittsburgh with Staal as the add-on piece. Not willing to accept anything less than that, and that's how it should be. You want the no.1 overall, a potential elite player with ELC rights?

You better be ready to overpay out the rear end.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:33 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I love homer trade proposals. I just politely said 'no thanks' on the Pens board of Staal (with a contract extention) + Martin (who has been stinking up the 'Burgh) for Yak and Smid. Wow...
you can keep martin and we will keep smid--he is a stud and I would not do Staal for Yak straight

I like Staal--but I think people are over valueing him. They look at his size and will want him to be something he is not

and I still predict he will end up playing with one of his brothers

Old
05-01-2012, 04:52 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I don't like the idea of trading next year's 1st, 2013 is deep with top end talent. Curtis Lazar is looking pretty impressive leading the Oil Kings right now and he might not even be a top 10 pick next year.

I wonder if the Isles would go for something like Gagner, Whitney + a 3rd or a B level prospect for the 4th overall. They've had enough high picks they might be happier with some veterans who can play and apparently they're looking for a top 4 D-man and somebody who can play with Tavares. I don't know that Gagner is the perfect fit but he and Tavares are buddies so maybe that carries some weight.

If the Oilers can get Justin Schultz I'd be willing to part with Whitney, especially with only one year left on his deal.
Gagner and Tavares being friends carries no weight.Lil Johnny has his bff in Moulson.

At center the nyi have Tavares,Frans Nielsen,Brock Nelson Cizikas,Strome,Ullstrom and Sundstrom.No interest or need for Gagner.

What does carry weight is Whitney coming off 2 injury riddled seasons and making $5m-$5.5m in each of the next 2 seasons.
If Whitney is shopped,Snow won't be in the mix.
4 yrs of stockpiling prospects/picks,Snow is not looking to add warm bodies,so that B level prospect holds no appeal.

If the Oilers want 4th overall,you need to think more along the lines of Eberle for 4th overall.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Gagner and Tavares being friends carries no weight.Lil Johnny has his bff in Moulson.

At center the nyi have Tavares,Frans Nielsen,Brock Nelson Cizikas,Strome,Ullstrom and Subdstrom.No interest or need for Gagner.

What does carry weight is Whitney coming off 2 injury riddled seasons and making $5m-$5.5m in each of the next 2 seasons.

If the Oilers want 4th overall,you need to think more along the lines of Eberle for 4th overall.
Why in the **** would we trade Eberle for 4th overall? Hell even for 2nd overall? We turned down Eberle for 4th overall the year that Columbus took Johansen, why would we trade him now for that pick considering how much better he has become?

05-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Tyrolean

This thread should have been named the Unreasonable trade proposal thread.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Why in the **** would we trade Eberle for 4th overall? Hell even for 2nd overall? We turned down Eberle for 4th overall the year that Columbus took Johansen, why would we trade him now for that pick considering how much better he has become?
Why in the **** would the nyi want Gagner when they have centers Tavares,Strome,Frans Nielsen,Brock Nelson,Cizikas,Ullstrom,Bailey and Sundstrom ?He does not have the size/toughness they want at wing.

Why in the **** would the cash strapped Isles,want the oft-injured Whitney making $5m-$5.5m per?

Old
05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

So Staal is basically like that 1 good year of Horcoff except every year, right?

Old
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 100
Just popping in for the first timein this thread. I know it's being a bit silly, but after reading the paper today, do you think Ovie might want out of Washington if Hunter remains the coach?
Ovie can't be happy with Jay Beagle out shiofting him 28-18. Ovie was sixth in ice time amonst forwards last night for the Caps, and quoted several times about having to "suck it up"
for the playoffs, I'm sure he'll accept it, but I can't see him putting up with that going forward. a pipe dream for me, but the oilers do have the assets to make it happen.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Just popping in for the first timein this thread. I know it's being a bit silly, but after reading the paper today, do you think Ovie might want out of Washington if Hunter remains the coach?
Ovie can't be happy with Jay Beagle out shiofting him 28-18. Ovie was sixth in ice time amonst forwards last night for the Caps, and quoted several times about having to "suck it up"
for the playoffs, I'm sure he'll accept it, but I can't see him putting up with that going forward. a pipe dream for me, but the oilers do have the assets to make it happen.
I was wondering the same thing to myself. I know he's had a couple of tough years, but he's still an all-world talent. In my mind, as long as it didn't cost 2 of Hall, Nuge, Eberle or Yakupov, I'd do it.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
If WSH loses and Ovi is getting stuck with these minimal minutes.
Nash
for
Ovi

Cbj drafts Galenychuk.

Of course that would depend on whatever NTC are out there.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If WSH loses and Ovi is getting stuck with these minimal minutes.
Nash
for
Ovi

Cbj drafts Galenychuk.

Of course that would depend on whatever NTC are out there.
I would think that CBJ would have to add a bit.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Of course. Just throwing the main pieces out there. I doubt it ever happens, but it would be something that would allow CBJ to move Nash and not set their team back 3-4 years.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
WHAT????

The 4th overall will be lucky to be as good as Eberle is now. Heck if Yakupov is good as Eberle is now I will be ecstatic.

People overrate draft picks and prospects.

YOU DO NOT TRADE YOUNG TOP PERFORMING players for unproven draft picks. That is idiotic. Reverse it and ask yourself if you would trade Tavares for 1st overall.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:15 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I would think that CBJ would have to add a LOT.
ftfy.

Imo, Ovi is better than Nash in every aspect. The difference between the 2 at the very least would be 2nd overall (that's assuming Washington is trying to get rid of him)

Old
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Agreed.

But man would Ovie resurrect that Blue Jackets franchise. They should definitely look into a trade like that. Of course I think Ovie has a NTC and what are the chances he accepts a trade to Columbus?

Old
05-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Agreed.

But man would Ovie resurrect that Blue Jackets franchise. They should definitely look into a trade like that. Of course I think Ovie has a NTC and what are the chances he accepts a trade to Columbus?
lol, possibly Not great.

Plus, it kind of goes against the forced rebuild that the Jackets are going through.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Oilerz

Quote:

At center the nyi have Tavares,Frans Nielsen,Brock Nelson Cizikas,Strome,Ullstrom and Sundstrom.No interest or need for Gagner.

4 yrs of stockpiling prospects/picks,Snow is not looking to add warm bodies,so that B level prospect holds no appeal.

If we didn't already have first, I wouldn't even trade Ebs for the first pick.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Guys, I'm pretty sure he's not suggesting we trade Ebs for 4th overall, just that's what they would likely want

Old
05-01-2012, 11:22 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
WHAT????

The 4th overall will be lucky to be as good as Eberle is now. Heck if Yakupov is good as Eberle is now I will be ecstatic.

People overrate draft picks and prospects.

YOU DO NOT TRADE YOUNG TOP PERFORMING players for unproven draft picks. That is idiotic. Reverse it and ask yourself if you would trade Tavares for 1st overall.
Snow's in the 4th yr of his youth movement.Scouts are saying Murray/Dumba have 1st pairing potential and Galchenyuk has 1st line potential.

Snow's is absolutely right, to demand 1 young player back,with similar upside.
Price too high?Well,it's easy enough for opposing gms to tell Snow no and for them to look elsewhere.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Guys, I'm pretty sure he's not suggesting we trade Ebs for 4th overall, just that's what they would likely want
I'm saying that the Oilers aren't getting 4th overall, without sending back a young stud or potential young stud.

and no,the isles don't want any combination of Gagner,Whitney,B level prospects or 2013 picks

Old
05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Snow's in the 4th yr of his youth movement.Scouts are saying Murray/Dumba have 1st pairing potential and Galchenyuk has 1st line potential.

Snow's is absolutely right, to demand 1 young player back,with similar upside.
Price too high?Well,it's easy enough for opposing gms to tell Snow no and for them to look elsewhere.
Agreed, not sure why people in this thread are jumping all over you. 4th overall for Eberle sounds like our forum's battle-line of: "Want the first overall? Dubinsky, Staal, Kreider, McIlrath, 1st Round Pick might get it done".

Of course picks in the Top 5 are going to be too expensive to acquire. That's why they're very rarely moved.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
ponokanocker

The last thing this teams needs is to trade players for draft picks. We are already a young, inexperienced team and need quality veteran`s to help them out, not more kids. Our prospect pool is already solid, so let`s not focus on adding to it, but rather, getting some known quantities.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I'm saying that the Oilers aren't getting 4th overall, without sending back a young stud or potential young stud.

and no,the isles don't want any combination of Gagner,Whitney,B level prospects or 2013 picks
You didn't say anything about c level prospects! Plante and Omark for 4th overall. No take backs

Old
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
That may be true, but hockey is more than just points. Staal brings a lot more to the table than just points. He's every team's dream 2nd line centre, except 1, the Penguins. Where they have Crosby and Malkin, who are probably the top 2 centres on the planet. But, back to Staal, he's big, he can score (basically a lock for 20 goals, with the potential to score 30, with more ice time), he's physical, he's good defensively, and he kills penalties. Like it or not, top 6 centres are a lot harder to find, than top 6 wingers. If Yakupov peaks out as a 70 point winger (Hemsky like stats), than I'd take Staal over him. But, no one knows how good Yakupov is going to be, so with his unknown potential, and the fact that we own his rights for at least 7 seasons, and the fact that Staal is only locked up for 1 more year. I'd take Yakupov over Staal, all day long.
yah i do agree staal brings everything a second line center needs, For me, Edmonton has never had that flashy russian superstar who is not afraid to go against the grain. Yakupov is a guy who is raw emotion and clearly he hates losing just as much as hall. I think growing him organically in this organization will be better.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jordan Staal and it would be really hard turning that trade down. Maybe i'm just too excited about drafting first overall, and maybe the trade would work better for us long term, But something tells me Nail is gonna be something really really special. I think we are gonna be looking at a 90+ point player who scores over 40 goals. Hes got the drive to do it

Closed Thread