HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Offseason Recon Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Contracts are all about "what have you done for me lately" - if they both have big seasons, they'll get paid well.
I think Eberle will have a 80 point season but I'm only projecting Hall for a 60 point season.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I don't think waiting until December would really be an issue. I'm really focusing on a this summer vs. next summer debate. I think we've already got enough of a sample size from each of these guys to offer them contracts somewhere short of Tavares territory.

The last thing we'd want is management to put it off, then one (or both) of those guys lighting up the league and commanding Stamkos money. Because you know each and every one of those guys is going to use the other's contract as a bargaining chip in contract talks.

And yes, the CBA is coming up. But I don't see that having a massive effect on signing a guy to a six-year deal. I don't think there's much you can do to the CBA to make the Tavares contract look bad.
How have you seen enough from Hall to warrant that type of contract after surgery? We've seen with Horcoff what can happen after surgery and to some degree Hemsky.

Unless of course you are just assuming that Hall will be a 100% and won't have any complications or limitations.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How have you seen enough from Hall to warrant that type of contract after surgery? We've seen with Horcoff what can happen after surgery and to some degree Hemsky.

Unless of course you are just assuming that Hall will be a 100% and won't have any complications or limitations.
I can't comment on Hall after surgery. But it's definitely a risk vs. reward situation in his instance.

If you sign him now (or December) you have a greater opportunity to sign him somewhere closer to what your idea of a good cap number is. If you don't and he comes back next season at 100% and takes the next step, you might be paying $2M/season more than you would have if you'd taken the risk.

And if you carry Hall in to the following season at ~$7M and he gets outproduced by RNH or Yakupov, where do you stand then?

It's not a favourable option, but it just might save you millions in contract negotiations in the near future with two more elite players looking for new contracts.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
imo Hall won't be getting 6.5 per year.

I could see Eberle getting 6 per and Hall 5 per. Both 5-6 year deals.
My guess is that they would try and give both the same money and term. In fact I think they would be follish not to do this. You can argue that both are of equal value even if there production this year was not the same. And by doing so you avoid a touchy situation where you have to place one above the other. You also have a much better chance of gettingthem to take a bit of a disount if they feel they are part of a team building exercise. You have also then set the tone for the Nuge at the same time.

You will notice that Chicago gave Kane and Toews the same money. Anaheim did the same with Getzlaf and Perry.

I'd try and get this done before the CBA expires. There has be recent talk that suggest that if the cap is rolled back from the projected $69-70M cap that it wouldbe done uniformly.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
And yes, the CBA is coming up. But I don't see that having a massive effect on signing a guy to a six-year deal. I don't think there's much you can do to the CBA to make the Tavares contract look bad.
...read an article about GMs spending like drunken sailors this summer as they expect a rollback in salaries like the last CBA. Sign a guy now to $8MM to have it rolled back to $6MM under the new CBA. For this reason, it would be wise for the Oilers to sign them all with the expectation of a rollback. It would not be smart of Eberle and Hall's agent to agree to long term deals without knowing the framework of the new deal. will be noth interesting and frustrating for fans!

Old
05-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
...read an article about GMs spending like drunken sailors this summer as they expect a rollback in salaries like the last CBA. Sign a guy now to $8MM to have it rolled back to $6MM under the new CBA. For this reason, it would be wise for the Oilers to sign them all with the expectation of a rollback. It would not be smart of Eberle and Hall's agent to agree to long term deals without knowing the framework of the new deal. will be noth interesting and frustrating for fans!
Wouldn't the salary cap get rolled back by the same percentage in this case? Meaning their salary will still take up the same (large) % of your team's cap space.

Closed Thread