HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl/Van and Mtl/Edm

Old
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
M Ace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
If you though Vancouver had a bad riot after the SCF last year it will look like nothing compared to what Edmonton would do if the Oilers traded for Luongo. He is very unpopular in Edmonton and i really don't think many fans see him as a guy you build a franchise around in net, and for a guy with 10 years left on his deal and at 33 he better be. What ever team trades for Luongo is going to be very sorry, he is clearly on the down swing of his career and his mental psyche may be permanently damaged. The contract he has is no longer a value caphit, and the term is a real burden going forward even if it's only for 7 more years (till he's 40). If your just trying to make the playoffs, fine. But for a team like Edmonton that's being built for multiple championship runs it's a very poor fit. Edmonton is better off following the Detroit model and spending a relatively low amount on better than average goaltending rather than a bunch on slightly above average goaltending. Luongo behind an elite team only put up a sv% superior by .005%, that's bad action. Why would the Oilers pay 3+ million more for a probable best case scenario of slightly bette goaltending and most likely similar to worse goaltending? Luongo isn't the same guy they gave the captaincy to, in fact i think that's a big pat of what saw him regress so significantly.
Good quote!I'm with you on this one!

M Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Fine we'll give you the 3rd for Ebs.You can't have it both ways.
Your pick is better than someone's else player but your player better than someone's else pick.
Eberle in his 2nd NHL season was among top 15-20 NHL scorers and is coming off a career year.
Would MTL not value Pacioretty as an untouchable if he was 2 yrs younger and scored 11 more points in a few less games? Eberle has done just that.

Value wise there is supposedly a big gap in the 1st overall and the other picks.. Even then Mtl 1st (3rd overall) for Eberle is not very far fetched. 3rd overall pick would still get you guys a very good player.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Now your trying to compare Peckham to Price.
only if Tinordi is a valuable is Price. nice try but even with the Laughy smily you lose.

Old
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I'd rather just keep Price. He's a franchise goalie they are hard to find.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I'd rather just keep Price. He's a franchise goalie they are hard to find.
So is Luongo... Trade for him and then trade him to EDM..

Thanks!

Old
04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Koto

Quote:
Great goaltending just took the Hawks,The Nucks out of the playoffs.
Affordable goaltending is usually only good in the playoffs if you have the offense to pot a few but it doesn't always work ..MAF.
Going into the playoffs i would rather go with a great goalie over any single one player.
the nucks lost to quick...still a relatively young goaltender, yet to have the opportunity to fall on his face after earning a 40M contract. who also didnt look that great last year, and was supposed to have been passed by bernier by now. btw hes affordable atm, not so much in the future.

dubnyk is at the same place quick was last year...maybe he'll turn out ok?

the hawks lost to smith, again affordable, coming off a disastrous season with TB, who just let him go for nothing.

another example of this is elliot in st louis, who was given up on by ottawa and the avs, before signing a 2 WAY deal in the offseason.

MAF is a great comparable to price, extremely high pedigree, and not exactly affordable. falls into a catagory with rinne (we'll see, 7 more years to fail), lunqvist-hasnt done **** in the playoffs, bryz+luo not delivering.

Quote:
Now your trying to compare Peckham to Price.
and now your comparing tinoridi or a 2nd rounder to yakupov

Quote:
Your pick is better than someone's else player but your player better than someone's else pick.
i was giving 1 for 1 comparisons between assets, not declaring any players>picks rule

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
or you can see it as our player is worth more than your player, and our pick is worth more than your pick. Eberle>Price, as I'm pretty sure most teams would take the sophomore ppg player, although Montreal fans will probably disagree on this one, and it is debatable. 1st overall>3rd overall, and that is not debatable, although Montreal fans will probably disagree with this as well.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:34 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

*sigh*....what a thread! people will see this coming season how good Dubnyk will be! he finally had a breakout the last half of this past season and should easily play 50+ games next year. though i'd like to have Price for sure, i'd rather keep Dubnyk and see if this guy is for real next season.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
BRAVO!!!!!

Price also played nearly 20 more games, had a better GAA and faced a ton more shots. Although he does get to say Dubnyk won more WHL academic player of the year awards than Price....so...

the return on Halak was pretty solid IMHO. Eller, a potential top 6 centre with some size, basically a Plekanec with more size and Shultz, a 3rd line grinder who can fight.

Granted neither has arrived at their potential and Shultz is still 1-2 years away from NHL ready and Eller needs at least another full season to work on his offence (if he gets some PP time and a descent winger, we should see it)

And that was for the RFA rights to Halak. And he wasn't shopped around like most other GMs would have done.

All in all not a bad return for a goaltender that only had one good playoff run and hadn't quite proven himself as a full time starter yet (but has done an excellent job as expected since)
Oh dont get me wrong the return was good; however, if we could go back to HF at the time Hab fans were expecting the moon, the team got a good return but not the elite players,picks and prospects many thought

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Oh dont get me wrong the return was good; however, if we could go back to HF at the time Hab fans were expecting the moon, the team got a good return but not the elite players,picks and prospects many thought
Every team has crazies who overvalue their own players. Halak had a decent half season and a good playoffs but he still wasn't that proven. He signed a deal as an RFA that, if he had signed it with an offersheet, he would have returned us a 1st and 3rd. Instead we traded him for a former 1st rounder and a former first rounder. Exactly what many of us were expecting.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
FanHabtic

Huge pass from the Habs. Yakupov is a luxury but not a necessity. Price is an absolute necessity. As for the comparison of Dubnyk to Price.... hahahahahahahaha

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:59 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
*sigh*....what a thread! people will see this coming season how good Dubnyk will be! he finally had a breakout the last half of this past season and should easily play 50+ games next year. though i'd like to have Price for sure, i'd rather keep Dubnyk and see if this guy is for real next season.
I highly agree, he is a part of Edmonton's core which is only improving.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
so true. I was quite happy with the return, and Price would have gotten a better return. But we turned our two starting goalie situation into a starting goalie, a top 6 centre (prospect) and a 3rd line winger (prospect). And saved Cap space.

But then again, this being HFboards, some felt Crosby would not have been enough.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I highly agree, he is a part of Edmonton's core which is only improving.
Edmonton has the luxury of giving him this coming season to test him. Khaby is still there so it won't hurt any possible playoff push to try him out. And if he can't progress, they are open for UFA moves if they deem it necessary after that season.

But MTL is thankfully set in goal now. At least we have that.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:12 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
or you can see it as our player is worth more than your player, and our pick is worth more than your pick. Eberle>Price, as I'm pretty sure most teams would take the sophomore ppg player, although Montreal fans will probably disagree on this one, and it is debatable. 1st overall>3rd overall, and that is not debatable, although Montreal fans will probably disagree with this as well.
Eberle is not> than Price. At best Eberle = Price.
And i'm sure not just Hab fans would disagree that Eberle > Price.
Some may want a what most believe he will become a elite goalie over a top 20 forward
I'm sure Oiler fans would agree that Eberle>Price but than again Oiler fans highly overrate Gagner while most other fans know better.
Put Eberle and Price in front of me and i have to pick one to play for my team while losing the other. I pick Price for the Habs AINEC.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:12 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Huge pass from the Habs. Yakupov is a luxury but not a necessity. Price is an absolute necessity.
if i'm a fan of the Habs, it's posts like these that make me glad fans aren't GM's.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
no, because eberles value is about yakupov (at least for now...).

3rd OV might be closer to prices value...but if you gave me a choice i think i'd take the pick. goalies just arent great assets, look at bryz and luongo they were supposed to deliver. good not great (IE affordable) goaltending is the way to go, because you can never ensure great goaltending.

if a skater underperforms, you move him down one line. if a goalie underperforms, you either suffer or remove him entirely from action.

if you think that players automatically have more value than picks/prospects, ill give you peckham for tinoridi? no? how about a second?
Tim Thomas is great goaltending. Antti Niemi is affordable, but Chicago was stacked at forward and d. Fleury, was great during the run. Osgood is affordable, but with the Detroit team, great at both forward and d. Giguere played great and was considered a top 10 goaltender for a few years. Cam Ward still is. Khabibulin was great, as well at that time.

Seems the majority of teams who win have goalies who were in their time period as being considered great. The two who weren't were on teams stacked at forward and d. They actually had some remarkable dmen in their lineup that neither Edmonton, nor the habs seem to possess at this time.

Maybe if the oilers want to win 9-8, but even then I don't know if they could..

Quote:
That's what Leaf fans said about Reimer.

Either way, Oilers seem to think goaltending isn't important. That's fine.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
if i'm a fan of the Habs, it's posts like these that make me glad fans aren't GM's.
Hopefully our new G.M doesn't have your opinion. We would be sitting near the bottom for quite awhile,You know along the same way the Oilers have been.
Maybe your G.M shares some of your opinion. That would explain you guys being bottom feeders for the last little bit.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Hopefully our new G.M doesn't have your opinion. We would be sitting near the bottom for quite awhile,You know along the same way the Oilers have been.
Maybe your G.M shares some of your opinion. That would explain you guys being bottom feeders for the last little bit.
I'd be careful throwing that stone as we are living in the same glass house right now

Old
04-25-2012, 06:26 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I'd be careful throwing that stone as we are living in the same glass house right now
We haven't been there for the last 3 season and i don't believe we will be there for three straight seasons.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

That's what Leaf fans said about Reimer.

Either way, Oilers seem to think goaltending isn't important. That's fine.
Reimer!?! so Leaf fans said the same about Reimer....so? that supposed to mean something? how about Leaf fans and loudmouth media in Toronto give Reimer a few more years to develop before writing him off? we have waited patiently for Dubnyk to develop and it looks like he finally has, but just because he hasn't put up big numbers yet, he's a bust?

Old
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
FanHabtic

With the exception of Sanford, i would take every starting goaltender in the league over Dubnyk as my starter. And that's being kind!

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:35 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Quote:
hopefully our GM will continue to show more patience than some fans do, the ones that just want to trade all the assets and picks we have for established top end players who won't want to stay here....been there done that....same with signing big UFA's, they won't come here until we start winning, so no thank you to offer sheets for them to turn down....see....this is where PATIENCE comes in...Dubnyk looks like he's developed now, but we'll see next season if he's the guy or not for our future. same with the defence....all of our good prospects are still developing, so we must be patient.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:40 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
With the exception of Sanford, i would take every starting goaltender in the league over Dubnyk as my starter. And that's being kind!
really? based on what? have you seen Dubnyk's record the last two seasons on a 30th and 29th place team? it's more than good, especially compared to Khabby, who's been the really lousy goalie of the two!

Old
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Well, that's why you're not a GM.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote