Notices

General OT Thread #13: "GopherState Memorial Appreciation" Edition*

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 06:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
what is this "budget" thing? what is that?

i review my statement online every once in a while to see where my money goes but other than that apparently my spending habits aren't disproportionate with my income.

also, if you're married: keep your money completely separated. Work out a plan with who gets which shared bills (mortgage, insurance, etc) and adjust it as new things pop up but do everything else on the fly. absolutely no resentment over or controversy over stuff like clothes/bags/shoes or greens fees/video games/beer. Groceries are bought by whoever happens to buy but magically works out pretty evenly. As far as bills go my wife pays the mortgage and I pay everything else with the agreement that I also pool a few hundred a month into a "project" savings account for things like when you're central air and furnace both need to be fixed or replaced

Old
04-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

So glad I don't have any income. Worrying about all those bills must be hard.

(student loans will be the death of me)

Old
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

vCash: 500
My friend's roommate lost his job, applied for a smallish student loan, then proceeded to go spend 90% of it on a new turntable for his ****y pseudo dub step DJing. What recession?

Old
04-26-2012, 06:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
My friend's roommate lost his job, applied for a smallish student loan, then proceeded to go spend 90% of it on a new turntable for his ****y pseudo dub step DJing. What recession?
well student loan debt is far more forgiving than credit cards...so kinda smart in that regard. i guess. but i bet a fraction of a cent of the taxes i pay goes toward supporting him in the future.

Old
04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
well student loan debt is far more forgiving than credit cards...so kinda smart in that regard. i guess. but i bet a fraction of a cent of the taxes i pay goes toward supporting him in the future.
Exactly. My mom works in accounts receivable trying to convince people to pay their bills so the rest of society doesn't have to absorb it via taxes and higher interest rates. If you ever want to get your blood boiling, ask her to tell you a story.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Uhh... Bankruptcy gets rid of credit card debts; student loans are forever. Also, private student loans have interest rates comparable to credit cards.

Student loan debt is going to become a very pressing political issue in the near future. If you look at the laws enforcing student loans, they're sort of ridiculous.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Uhh... Bankruptcy gets rid of credit card debts; student loans are forever. Also, private student loans have interest rates comparable to credit cards.

Student loan debt is going to become a very pressing political issue in the near future. If you look at the laws enforcing student loans, they're sort of ridiculous.
Maybe if you have no cosigner and atrocious credit. The interest on my private loan is 1.9% right now.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:

student loans can be more readily deferred without incurring massive penalties or rate hikes is what I meant. i'm just assuming that's still the case.

edit: and i don't know what kind of student loan you're applying for. sounds like something that could be categorized as "personal loan" which isn't the same thing.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
student loans can be more readily deferred without incurring massive penalties or rate hikes is what I meant. i'm just assuming that's still the case.

edit: and i don't know what kind of student loan you're applying for. sounds like something that could be categorized as "personal loan" which isn't the same thing.
The entitlement groups have tried to make it a major issue, and there's been a lot of FUD spread around about it. The rule of thumb is, if you heard something about student loans on TV, the exact opposite is true. Interest rates with cosigner are generally Prime-minus, without cosigner they're usually Prime-plus, but not significantly. You actually have to go to great lengths to have your loans not deferred. Payment stepping is standard (and the TVoM cost is something like $50/$1000 borrowed).

Old
04-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
When I was working, I got paid bi-weekly. I spent the first salary usually on bills, saving about 30% for the living in rest of the two weeks and saved up about 50% of the second salary so I had 1 week's salary (about 400€) put aside every month. It worked well, too bad I lost my job.

Sent a couple of applications recently, hoping to get a job. One would be an entertainment section sales clerk on a big hypermarket. Downside is that it would be in Vantaa, about 15 miles from where I live but the public transport works well and it's an easy commute once I get my car working again.

Tough times indeed.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'm on the quiet floor of the library right now where I should be doing my paper that's due tomorrow but I keep scrolling through the playoff photoshop threads and I'm having a hard time controlling my laughter.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Found this in the Lounge, thought it was pretty funny. Enjoy.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:

So dogs can't get bags off their heads and cats can't get. . . . . tickets?. . . . . off their head?

Old
04-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:

WTF is that that gets whaped in the cats face?

Old
04-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Well, this is a slow thread.

Old
04-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I wish one of you fellow posters was here with me right now so you could literally slap some sense into me. Here it is almost 1 a.m. and I haven't started on a paper that's due by 8 a.m. (automatic F if I don't get it emailed to my professor by then) plus I have a test in Macroeconomics tomorrow that I still have to study for as well. Looks like I'll be pulling an all nighter tonight. Should be fun driving back to my mom's tomorrow after getting out of all my classes and with no sleep at all.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I wish one of you fellow posters was here with me right now so you could literally slap some sense into me. Here it is almost 1 a.m. and I haven't started on a paper that's due by 8 a.m. (automatic F if I don't get it emailed to my professor by then) plus I have a test in Macroeconomics tomorrow that I still have to study for as well. Looks like I'll be pulling an all nighter tonight. Should be fun driving back to my mom's tomorrow after getting out of all my classes and with no sleep at all.
Dude,

GET THE **** OFF HFBOARDS AND GET YOUR **** DONE YOU MORON!

I dont know if cranking out a paper in 7 hours is common for you, but I sure hope it is. I hope it's not too long either.

You messed up man.

Go get some caffeine. You are gonna need it it sounds like.

Good luck. Hope I helped.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Holy ****.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Dude,

GET THE **** OFF HFBOARDS AND GET YOUR **** DONE YOU MORON!

I dont know if cranking out a paper in 7 hours is common for you, but I sure hope it is. I hope it's not too long either.

You messed up man.

Go get some caffeine. You are gonna need it it sounds like.

Good luck. Hope I helped.
I'm not worried about getting the paper done on time, I'm more worried about the paper itself. It's a rhetorical analysis paper and no matter how many times I had the professor explain it to me, I still don't really get how to do it. He keeps commenting on my papers saying that I'm the best writer in the class though so even a completely BS'd paper is better than nothing. I've gotten 2 As and a B on my papers so far so even a getting a C on this one won't be that bad.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:10 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Procrastinating on a paper too. Feel your pain, WILDhockeyfan. This next week is gonna suck with the deadlines. Can't wait for May 5th....party!!!

Old
04-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I'm not worried about getting the paper done on time, I'm more worried about the paper itself. It's a rhetorical analysis paper and no matter how many times I had the professor explain it to me, I still don't really get how to do it. He keeps commenting on my papers saying that I'm the best writer in the class though so even a completely BS'd paper is better than nothing. I've gotten 2 As and a B on my papers so far so even a getting a C on this one won't be that bad.
Well then just write it how you wrote all your other papers and I'm sure you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Procrastinating on a paper too. Feel your pain, WILDhockeyfan. This next week is gonna suck with the deadlines. Can't wait for May 5th....party!!!
So much procrastinating on papers. I guess I'm lucky. I would always procrastinate on mine and just pull it out of my ass a day or two before it was due. I have some kind of savant ability that once I get past my thesis statement I can just keep rolling for a couple of pages and somehow stay both relevant and on topic. That thesis statement tho....that can sometimes take me a while.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
The good news is that I'll only have 2 finals. I've got a few friends that have finals in all 4 of their classes, that would suck. Once May 17th passes I'm gonna be all about running in the morning, working in the afternoon, then working out during the night. Need to shed some pounds this "off-season". I actually keep referring to this summer as this off-season when I'm talking to people in person too. I've gotten way too into hockey the last year or so.

Alright, no more posting on here until I get the paper done. Then come back on here for a little break, then proceed to start studying for my Macro exam. If I post on here anymore, I hereby swear that I'll go up to a stranger and tell them to kick me in the nuts.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
The good news is that I'll only have 2 finals. I've got a few friends that have finals in all 4 of their classes, that would suck. Once May 17th passes I'm gonna be all about running in the morning, working in the afternoon, then working out during the night. Need to shed some pounds this "off-season". I actually keep referring to this summer as this off-season when I'm talking to people in person too. I've gotten way too into hockey the last year or so.

Alright, no more posting on here until I get the paper done. Then come back on here for a little break, then proceed to start studying for my Macro exam. If I post on here anymore, I hereby swear that I'll go up to a stranger and tell them to kick me in the nuts.
I can see you still sitting there, clicking refresh again.

Close your browser or we're all gonna start cursing at you!

Old
04-27-2012, 01:19 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well then just write it how you wrote all your other papers and I'm sure you will be fine.

So much procrastinating on papers. I guess I'm lucky. I would always procrastinate on mine and just pull it out of my ass a day or two before it was due. I have some kind of savant ability that once I get past my thesis statement I can just keep rolling for a couple of pages and somehow stay both relevant and on topic. That thesis statement tho....that can sometimes take me a while.
Ditto. I'm also a perfectionist which makes it worse. We're talking about proofreading TWICE for each paper. And adding more information or graphs than is required. On the plus side, I rarely miss any points on a paper...on the down side, I make it much more difficult than it really needs to be. Which is why this latest paper is creating a headache.

I use to love writing. Now I hate it to the core!

Old
04-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Remember business before pleasure.

Closed Thread