HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman's Presser Today

Old
04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well, he needs to make some adjustments then because not every guy that comes through the system or gets signed is just going to go out there and do everything right. That's why you have coaches.
Dustin Penner doesn't want the role of a guy who does the grunt work on a skill line. He doesn't want to be the guy seperating people from pucks, winning board battles, engaging on the forecheck. He wants someone else to do that for him. He's far from a perfect fit on a line with Kane/Toews.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Signing Penner has no downside and even if you want Hayes or someone else in that role, it forces them to oust Penner to get it and that's a good thing for both Penner and Hayes. Competition within makes players better.
It has enough downside

takes away a roster spot
money could easily spent somewhere else
not better than a player we have in Bickell

Really, Penner? Give Morin or Beach the spot, they actually want it

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I mean, do you guys really think after all Penner has gone through, he isn't willing to sign a 1 year deal, work his ass off all year, put up numbers, sign a fat long term deal and then never have to try again for another shift the rest of his career? Seems pretty enticing for a player like Penner. 1 more year of hard work, then semi-retirement (if that's what he wants).

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
It has enough downside

takes away a roster spot
money could easily spent somewhere else
not better than a player we have in Bickell

Really, Penner? Give Morin or Beach the spot, they actually want it
Penner>Bickell

Morin is too small to provide what we would need in that slot. Beach, who I do like, is far from proven or deserving an NHL spot. Maybe if he has a good start to the year he can be called up.

People who want Penner are not asking for him to come in score 30 goals and have a career year. Were asking for him to come in and play a role. Throw his weight around and go to the net and create space for Toews and Kane to work. It's not inconceivable for him to score 20+ goals on a wing with those two.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:51 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Not a fan of Penner, he is indeed a lesser Bickell. Don't need another player like that and knowing Q he would utilize him wrong anyway.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Penner>Bickell

Morin is too small to provide what we would need in that slot. Beach, who I do like, is far from proven or deserving an NHL spot. Maybe if he has a good start to the year he can be called up.

People who want Penner are not asking for him to come in score 30 goals and have a career year. Were asking for him to come in and play a role. Throw his weight around and go to the net and create space for Toews and Kane to work. It's not inconceivable for him to score 20+ goals on a wing with those two.
I expect a Top 6 player who plays with Toews & Kane to score 10 goals... I really have my doubts that Penners fat ass would find a way to even get on the ice

I know that Beach needs a little more time and Morin isn't the same type, but they will be better options than Penner for much less

Old
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I expect a Top 6 player who plays with Toews & Kane to score 10 goals... I really have my doubts that Penners fat ass would find a way to even get on the ice

I know that Beach needs a little more time and Morin isn't the same type, but they will be better options than Penner for much less
Looking at one year is a small sample size and while it is the most recent year players do have bad years for a lot of reasons. You can look at Kane this year and say oh he's just a 66pt forward, nothing THAT special.

In the years before this one Penner scored: 23, 32, 17, 23 and 29 goals

The one bad year he had was with a Kings team that has a pretty bad offense. I think in a team style like ours he can get back to the 20+ goal mark.

As far as him being fat, good, go to the net and sit there, extra weight makes you harder to move.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Penner is slow and lazy - I'll leave it at that

Old
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

I'd love to see/hear Pat Foley's reaction if the Hawks are to sign Penner.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote