HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman's Presser Today

Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I guess that's pretty much it. Plan to have Kane at the #2C spot long term, then pick up at least one top-6 winger in the offseason. Plan to have him at right wing long term, then pick up a #2C in the offseason.
That's my feeling.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
certainly better than Kane. Plus the fact that he doesn't like to play D, it's obvious, he floats around a lot...he just wants the puck. I'm sure he'd agree he'd much rather play RW than C. Let's package some of these redundant prospects for a 2C instead of moving Kane over, leaving a void at RW instead.
All those players play passable defense at best. If Kane commits to playing centre, as he did at the begining of the season, he'll be able to play passable defense.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Kopitar plays pretty close to Selke-level defense... he is more like Toews than most people realize (probably more skilled). But your point is a good one.
I was just trying to think of great offensive players that play centre. Obviously, Giroux and Kopitar most notably play defense on a level Kane will likely never reach.. but they're still out their to primarily score goals and make plays.

Stick Kane with a great two-way player like Hossa and a big body who can free up some space and he'll be just fine.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I don't know why people would expect any different. The record with him in the line-up, post TD and without Toews speaks for itself. Just because he's saying he's interested in talking to his agent, doesn't mean he's going to be resigned. If he is, I don't know what they're going to do with Montador.
If Oduya gets signed for the same reasons I feel we signed Montador (to truly solidify the bottom end of the defense) I think it'll be a fantastic signing. Especially if it's structured like Monty's deal, and even better if Monty fully recovers from his concussion this summer.

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hjalmarsson
Oduya-Montador

That looks like a very solid backend to me.

But Oduya started to fall apart after his initial surge, and I don't like the idea of signing him with the expectation of him playing significant minutes.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Judrix
Teuvo is Kane's son

Quote:
All those players play passable defense at best. If Kane commits to playing centre, as he did at the begining of the season, he'll be able to play passable defense.
yeah, but I still say we try to get Jokinen, he's a UFA...but after him there isn't much out there as far as centers go. I would actually rather Sharp play C if we can't get anyone

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Sharp-Kane-Hossa

Great chemistry together, Hossa helps on D, Sharp helps with faceoffs. Toews has shown time and time again his line is good no matter who is on it and furthermore, I notice he is more aggresive offensively when he is "the man" on his line and there is more potential to grow for Toews on offense so it makes sense all the way around. I'd rather get a big bodied winger to help the top 6 and PP than a small center like Roy to be honest. If someone like Getzlaf was available, obviously that would be perfect for both needs but I highly doubt that happens or that we get him if it does.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Penosity

Quote:
Anze Kopitar, Steven Stamkos (not sure he plays full-time centre), Claude Grioux, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Henrik Sedin.. I'd say most top centres are "offensive minded".
I see Kane more as a Marty St. Louis type of player than any of those you mentioned.

A small playmaking winger.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Wow. I certainly hope the comments in general donít reflect how Stan and Q really feel. As for JO and the possibility that he be signed, hopefully thatís just lip service. Heís going to be after $ 3 - 4 M, and he doesnít have an aggressive bone in his body. Iíll take Hammer over JO every time. Iím with Coldice. Based on these comments, seems we will not see much of a difference next season.

And the comments on our goaltending is puzzling indeed. Why did Stan go and sign Emery just prior to the playoffs after the dismal season Crawford had? It makes no sense to have both of these guys signed Ö as far as I'm concerned, signing Emery compounded the mistake of signing Crawford last summer. DOH!

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Judrix
Teuvo is Kane's son

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Wow. I certainly hope the comments in general donít reflect how Stan and Q really feel. As for JO and the possibility that he be signed, hopefully thatís just lip service. Heís going to be after $ 3 - 4 M, and he doesnít have an aggressive bone in his body. Iíll take Hammer over JO every time. Iím with Coldice. Based on these comments, seems we will not see much of a difference next season.

And the comments on our goaltending is puzzling indeed. Why did Stan go and sign Emery just prior to the playoffs after the dismal season Crawford had? It makes no sense to have both of these guys signed Ö as far as I'm concerned, signing Emery compounded the mistake of signing Crawford last summer. DOH!
well nothing was said after last season that made it sound like Campbell was going to be unloaded on draft day, that was quite a shock. I'm not worried about what they say to the media, tons of stuff happens behind the scenes that we never know about.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:33 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post

I'm sure Chicago fans everywhere would have been dancing in the streets had Bowman not signed Crawford last year. What a dumb move to sign a guy after a great season.

Old
UsernameWasTaken
Hawks Offseason WOAT

Bowman on Kane:

Quote:
Jesse Rogers ‏ @ESPNChiHawks

Bowman: "Having Kane in the middle is certainly better than any other center thats available."

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
digdug41982

Yeah, Jet is so right about the Emery thing. Why the hell didn't anyone ask him about that? I mean, Bowman says the goaltending "wasn't a strength" then says "Crawford has to be better" Well, where's the room to improve the position then? Just like I said yesterday, he puts it on the players. Hey, maybe they can't do it Stan. You have to be prepared for that, especially after they DIDN'T do it for a whole season. What the hell makes him think Crawford/Emery are going to be significantly better next year? Even Q, he's sitting there saying "Well, most top goalies have a rough 2nd year" Stop making excuses and address the damn problem. Based on their comments (we knew it before anyway), Crawford/Emery are coming back. Pathetic.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:35 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Yes, Steven Stamkos, Evgeni Malkin and Henrik Sedin are all excellent two-way players...
Stamkos doesn't play defense please....

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Then pick up the one or two top-6 wingers that this team is sorely lacking, and few will be unhappy with Kane playing center.

If he wants to fill that spot (number 2 center) in-house, fine. He just better fill the hole left by that move (as well as already-existing gaps in the lineup) via free agency or a trade.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Judrix
Teuvo is Kane's son

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTOEWSweTrust View Post
Stamkos doesn't play defense please....
he was being sarcastic

Old
04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I really hope that SOMETHING is done about goaltending. Kane as the 2nd line center wouldn't be bad as long as a top 6 forward is brought in, and preferrably one with size and some grit. We need someone who is willing to wreak havoc in front of the other teams goals and will clean up Kane's shots that have potential for a rebound garbage goal.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, Jet is so right about the Emery thing. Why the hell didn't anyone ask him about that? I mean, Bowman says the goaltending "wasn't a strength" then says "Crawford has to be better" Well, where's the room to improve the position then? Just like I said yesterday, he puts it on the players. Hey, maybe they can't do it Stan. You have to be prepared for that, especially after they DIDN'T do it for a whole season. What the hell makes him think Crawford/Emery are going to be significantly better next year? Even Q, he's sitting there saying "Well, most top goalies have a rough 2nd year" Stop making excuses and address the damn problem. Based on their comments (we knew it before anyway), Crawford/Emery are coming back. Pathetic.
You don't trade a guy who's been as consistent a Pro as Crawford's been after one bad season.. especially not after how good he way just last year.

Emery is fine in a back-up role and Crawford's more than capable of bouncing back. One bad year.. mine aswell trade Kane too.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Penosity

So another year of mediocrity then?

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:39 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Then pick up the one or two top-6 wingers that this team is sorely lacking, and few will be unhappy with Kane playing center.

If he wants to fill that spot (number 2 center) in-house, fine. He just better fill the hole left by that move (as well as already-existing gaps in the lineup) via free agency or a trade.
And that's where I get scared because I think he'll just pencil Saad in the top 6, with the possibility of Morin playing here and working his way up and call it a day. For me, both should get chances on the team but ideally your 3rd line is:

Saad-Bolland-Morin

Old
04-25-2012, 11:40 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
You don't trade a guy who's been as consistent a Pro as Crawford's been after one bad season.. especially not after how good he way just last year.

Emery is fine in a back-up role and Crawford's more than capable of bouncing back. One bad year.. mine aswell trade Kane too.
Crawford is either going to play like a good starter or a "fine back up". Give me a guy in that other spot who has a chance to be a good starter too so we have options.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
So another year of mediocrity then?

This fanbase is out of controll awful. Seriously.. does ****ing no one remember what it was like just 4 years ago? Calgary, Minnesota, Toronto.. those are mediocre teams. Chicago was a decent PP/PK away from challenging for the division and at the very least finishing 4th in the West.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I really hope that SOMETHING is done about goaltending. Kane as the 2nd line center wouldn't be bad as long as a top 6 forward is brought in, and preferrably one with size and some grit. We need someone who is willing to wreak havoc in front of the other teams goals and will clean up Kane's shots that have potential for a rebound garbage goal.
This right is here on the money, get Kane a Big Winger, and all of a sudden he is going to look like the next coming of Jesus himself.

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
And that's where I get scared because I think he'll just pencil Saad in the top 6, with the possibility of Morin playing here and working his way up and call it a day. For me, both should get chances on the team but ideally your 3rd line is:

Saad-Bolland-Morin
Wouldn't be against that third line, but I'm not sure Morin is quite ready yet given that he missed an entire year of development. Hell, Saad still might not make the team out of camp either. Who knows?

I agree with you, though. Has Bowman made a legitimately good move to fill a roster hole since he took over as GM? Oduya started out nice and then flopped terribly, and that's one of the few Bowman moves that comes to mind (we shouldn't really consider the cap dump trades of summer 2010).

Just have a bad feeling we'll get the old "we believe we can win with this team" even though we all know the roster is first round fodder.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:43 AM
digdug41982

Quote:

This fanbase is out of controll awful. Seriously.. does ****ing no one remember what it was like just 4 years ago? Calgary, Minnesota, Toronto.. those are mediocre teams. Chicago was a decent PP/PK away from challenging for the division and at the very least finishing 4th in the West.
Quite the opposite, I'm finally starting to see some life in this fanbase. Thank the ****ing Lord. Guess two 1st round losses in a row while Bowman keeps telling you this team is a Cup contender will do that. People are waking up to the fact that this team has some pretty big holes that need to be filled.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:43 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Crawford is either going to play like a good starter or a "fine back up". Give me a guy in that other spot who has a chance to be a good starter too so we have options.
And so, who would that be? Just offer-sheet Schnieder or Rask or Price right? Like that happens very often.. if they even get to a point where they can be offer-sheeted.