HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Bowman's Presser Today

Old
04-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
my takes on this

Kane will play 2nd Line Center for most of the year
Bruno will retire
Oduya will be back and Hjammer traded
Bowman will try to get a #1 goalie, he will add him with overpayment if needed
Kitchen WILL BE GONE
Q will stay as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This fanbase is out of controll awful. Seriously.. does ****ing no one remember what it was like just 4 years ago? Calgary, Minnesota, Toronto.. those are mediocre teams. Chicago was a decent PP/PK away from challenging for the division and at the very least finishing 4th in the West.
CGY and MIN had PO hopes for years because of GREAT Goaltending. Imagine if a team with worse D than us has hopes because they have great goalie(s) how we would look like with a real #1 in net

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Oduya will be back and Hjammer traded
If this happens, unless Stan brings in someone like Suter at the same time, I'll fully be on the "Fire Stan Bowman" bandwagon. Hammer is a much better defenseman than Oduya and I'd say it isn't even close.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post
I highly doubt they get a #2 center. He somewhat chuckled at the question when asked. I agree with this because their is no UFA and Kane or Sharp can hold that spot until Kruger/McNeil develops into that role.
You misspelled Pirri.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
If this happens, unless Stan brings in someone like Suter at the same time, I'll fully be on the "Fire Stan Bowman" bandwagon. Hammer is a much better defenseman than Oduya and I'd say it isn't even close.
It's tough to say. Oduya plays much more of our style of hockey than Hjalmarsson does but on the other hand, Hjalmarsson provides something that we arguably need more of: defense-first, shot-blocking and solid penalty killing from our D.

I'd be okay with trading Hjalmarsson if it meant we get an upgrade to our forwards (Clowe would be my target) and Bowman signs someone who can replace Hjalmarsson.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
You misspelled Pirri.
If Pirri ever developes any kind of defensive awareness and puts on more bulk then there's no reason why he can't be a top-6 forward in the NHL.

Said it a couple times.. you all thought Kruger got pushed around.. you would have torn Pirri to pieces.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
If Pirri ever developes any kind of defensive awareness and puts on more bulk then there's no reason why he can't be a top-6 forward in the NHL.

Said it a couple times.. you all thought Kruger got pushed around.. you would have torn Pirri to pieces.
Meh, really? Pirri is a bit taller and a bit heavier.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and still was pushed around in the little showings we've had

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Panzerspitze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
It's tough to say. Oduya plays much more of our style of hockey than Hjalmarsson does but on the other hand, Hjalmarsson provides something that we arguably need more of: defense-first, shot-blocking and solid penalty killing from our D.

I'd be okay with trading Hjalmarsson if it meant we get an upgrade to our forwards (Clowe would be my target) and Bowman signs someone who can replace Hjalmarsson.
Really? #4 seems to provide screen for the other team more often than he's blocking shots now, especially in the playoffs, witness that first PHX goal on the PP in game 6.

Panzerspitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:51 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Meh, really? Pirri is a bit taller and a bit heavier.
Pirri is, maybe, half a inch taller but he's no heavier. He's just as lean.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Piffle

Quote:
His offense seems much better developed from what I have seen. That's my only point. We were talking about top 6'ers.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
2011 - 8th seed (barely)
2012 - 6th seed

Both first round losses in the playoffs.

Sounds pretty mediocre to me.
We overcame a lot in both years to get those seeds in the toughest division in the league.

My point is -- this offseason is a great opportunity to ruin a 100-point team that makes the playoffs even when it underachieves.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Not according to hockeydb.com but I'm not sure how often they update their website.

Either way, both would and have gotten pushed around pretty easily.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:04 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
Really? #4 seems to provide screen for the other team more often than he's blocking shots now, especially in the playoffs, witness that first PHX goal on the PP in game 6.
All of our defensemen don't clear the crease of traffic and screen our goalies. I think Q has them practice it.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Andrew brunette was a bust enjoy your retirement you had a good career

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Recoil

I'll say this about Andrew Burnette: His first press conference as a Blackhawk was prophetic. He said "It's tough to lose a step when you never had one in the first place"

Seriously though, if he does retire, he did have a good career, even if his last season here was disappointing for all.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:13 PM
zac

I understand a GM isn't going to completely tip his hand in a presser, but this really makes me think he's completely out to lunch regarding how bad things really are right now. This team has the talent to compete but a complete lack of aggression and physicality, the latter of which having continued to worsen among holdover personnel, is a glaring problem. Getting bigger guys isn't going to solve the entire problem when it's more of a mindset and execution problem than anything else. Guys have been allowed to increasingly shy away from contact and puss out in board battles. Until we get somebody in here that understands this, demands more from his players, and keeps guys accountable it will continue to be a problem.

If Bowman REALLY thinks Quenneville is the right coach to lead this team he should be fired IMMEDIATELY. He has failed in nearly every facet a coach can impact or control: personnel decisions with the roster, personnel decisions on STs, personnel mix-ups on lines, line changes, game tactics...you name it and Q has failed. The guy lucked his ass off by having he most talented roster in the NHL for one season and he nearly screwed that up. This team won't go anywhere with him at the helm.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I understand a GM isn't going to completely tip his hand in a presser, but this really makes me think he's completely out to lunch regarding how bad things really are right now. This team has the talent to compete but a complete lack of aggression and physicality, the latter of which having continued to worsen among holdover personnel, is a glaring problem. Getting bigger guys isn't going to solve the entire problem when it's more of a mindset and execution problem than anything else. Guys have been allowed to increasingly shy away from contact and puss out in board battles. Until we get somebody in here that understands this, demands more from his players, and keeps guys accountable it will continue to be a problem.

If Bowman REALLY thinks Quenneville is the right coach to lead this team he should be fired IMMEDIATELY. He has failed in nearly every facet a coach can impact or control: personnel decisions with the roster, personnel decisions on STs, personnel mix-ups on lines, line changes, game tactics...you name it and Q has failed. The guy lucked his ass off by having he most talented roster in the NHL for one season and he nearly screwed that up. This team won't go anywhere with him at the helm.
Bowman always has blamed the players first and foremost. He did that again today. Bowman assembled the team, so he obviously is very happy with it. Bowman hired Q, so he is obviously happy with him. See a pattern? Bowman's answer is always "WTF, we should be winning, players need to improve and play better"

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Bowman always has blamed the players first and foremost. He did that again today. Bowman assembled the team, so he obviously is very happy with it. Bowman hired Q, so he is obviously happy with him. See a pattern? Bowman's answer is always "WTF, we should be winning, players need to improve and play better"
Technically, that's not true. Q replaced Savard like, 5 games into the 08-09 season... Tallon was still GM at that time and wouldn't be fired until the end of 08-09.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Technically, that's not true. Q replaced Savard like, 5 games into the 08-09 season... Tallon was still GM at that time and wouldn't be fired until the end of 08-09.
Yeah, and technically we signed Hossa under Tallon too. But yes, you are correct.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
cherrypik

Coaches meeting should go as follows:
Stan: Who is responsible for putting Kruger and Brunette on the same PP unit?
Q: Me and Kitchen.
Stan: Who idea was it?
Q: Kitchen?
Stan: Fire him!

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Yeah, and technically we signed Hossa under Tallon too. But yes, you are correct.
The Hossa signing is irrelevant... he signed like, a month (if that) before Tallon was fired. You can speculate there because many thought/said that Tallon was pretty much on his way out of office before that signing took place. Quenneville was hired a good 9 months before Tallon was fired. HUGE difference there. I doubt Bowman hired Quenneville behind Tallon's back or that Tallon wasn't at the helm at that time.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
The Hossa signing is irrelevant... he signed like, a month (if that) before Tallon was fired. You can speculate there because many thought/said that Tallon was pretty much on his way out of office before that signing took place. Quenneville was hired a good 9 months before Tallon was fired. HUGE difference there. I doubt Bowman hired Quenneville behind Tallon's back or that Tallon wasn't at the helm at that time.
I'll grant that Tallon had more influence on Q coming here than Bowman. Still, he signed him to an extension so there is some ownership there. I know it was hard not to after the Cup win but regardless, the point was that Bowman is going to defend his moves and put the onus on the players.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post
Coaches meeting should go as follows:
Stan: Who is responsible for putting Kruger and Brunette on the same PP unit?
Q: Me and Kitchen.
Stan: Who idea was it?
Q: Kitchen?
Stan: Fire him!
Stan: And, whose idea was it to put Morrison, Kruger, Oduya, and Hammer out to kill a penalty in the third period of a must-win playoff game? Nevermind, you're all ****ing fired. Get out of my face.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:36 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez68 View Post
stan: And, whose idea was it to put morrison, kruger, oduya, and hammer out to kill a penalty in the third period of a must-win playoff game? Nevermind, you're all ****ing fired. Get out of my face.
lmao.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
zac

Quote:
He really blames everyone other than who he should be blaming. Guys like this are never long term solutions to a franchise. That's generally why Epstein is so revered by the Cub fan base. He not only has a pedigree but he tells it like it is and you KNOW he understands what he needs to do to get there. Sometimes things don't always work out as planned but you have to be able to admit when you made a mistake.

The more I see of Stan, the more he reminds me of Scott Pioli (I live here in KC). The guy is a certifiable *******, a questionable judge of talent, and isn't willing to admit mistakes and rectify them (Cassle). He's such as arrogant SOB that he pretty much screwed the pooch on the Chiefs landing Manning. I have it on pretty good authority that he'd likely be here if it wasn't for Pioli.

Now Stan's not quuuiiittee to that level, but I'm seeing the same patterns of mistakes and lack of corrective actions.