Wouldn't Mind Re-signing Zanon

Old
04-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Can't wait to "see what we have" when Hamilton/Krug/Chudinov/Mottau all play horribly and that depth is exposed. If we were the Blue Jackets who don't have a prayer at the Cup next year I'd be ok with it and giving the young kids the ice time, but we're an elite team. The more the 6th defensman struggles, the more ice time for Chara and Seidenberg, the more tired they are for the playoffs.

Now, I don't need Zanon back next year, any solid vet that fits in our cap structure would do and I am in no way saying Hamilton wont be a solid top six defender next year ( I think he will be ), but you can't immediately assume hes going to step in without a hitch. You need a defender who is a PROVEN defender and who is good enough to play in the top six, in case Hamilton falters.

Mottau isn't an NHL defensman IMO, let alone an NHL defensman for an elite team. There are ALWAYS instances where the 7th defensman has to step in and play significantly.

2 million for Zanon could be a stretch, understood, and id prefer to spend the money elsewhere, but if at the end of the day its determined we can fit him into the cap structure for a 1 year deal at 2 million, I think you do it. You can also Derek Morris him later in the season if Hamilton is the stud we think hes going to be
It's pretty standard around the league for GMs to assess their teams around US Thanksgiving and make moves. If there's a need for a better #6, there's a lot of time between training camp and the deadline to address it.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
It's pretty standard around the league for GMs to assess their teams around US Thanksgiving and make moves. If there's a need for a better #6, there's a lot of time between training camp and the deadline to address it.
By address it you mean give up assets? Of course its standard. Its also standard for elite NHL teams having good depth at defense and not depending on rookies to step in and perform.

If he can be had for free and in the cap structure then you get a better vet than Mottau IMO.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
When I started this thread I envisioned the following top 6:

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference, McQuaid, and Hamilton. I don't expect Corvo back and I'd feel safer with an experienced 7th D-man because I think it's better for rookies (Hamilton) to spend some time in the press box watching the game. Then there is the injury factor. Also, I made no mention of money. Of course that must enter into the equasion but Peter is a good "cap handler" and I have faith he'll make the right decision. Personally I don't think Zanon is overpaid for a 7th D.
2 million is definitely a bit overpaid for a 7th defensman, but on a one year deal it shouldnt be too big of a deal.

And what if Julien decides to have Hamilton watch in the pressbox for a while? Is Mike Mottau our 6th defensman? Please. Thats not acceptable for an elite team.

I'm not Zanon or bust, but we need a reliable NHL defensman, not Mottau.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is true, but what does that mean? An extra 1 million on the books? Hardly a big deal.

Like I said above, 2 million for Zanon might be too much, but if we can afford him after weve made other improvements to the team I think you do it. Also, teams always need Zanon types at the deadline (see Boston Bruins 2012), he could be a deadline swap if Hamilton proves he belongs.
see I think an extra 1 million on the books is a very big deal. I am not against a quality 7th d-man I just think you can get one for 1/2 the price of Zanon and get the same quailty min's out of them.

his current contract would be double what any 7th d-man in the NHL is making. That extra cap savings could make or break a deal come deadline day.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
2 million is definitely a bit overpaid for a 7th defensman, but on a one year deal it shouldnt be too big of a deal.

And what if Julien decides to have Hamilton watch in the pressbox for a while? Is Mike Mottau our 6th defensman? Please. Thats not acceptable for an elite team.

I'm not Zanon or bust, but we need a reliable NHL defensman, not Mottau.
your bold is where we agree. We need a reliable NHL defensman for our 7th and the average rate is closer to 1 million a year not 2 million a year. Find that 7th man elsewhere and use the 1 million extra where it is needed.

People ***** when we overpay a guy by 250k but we are willing to just toss 1 million to a guy and act like it is no big deal.

I don't get it.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
see I think an extra 1 million on the books is a very big deal. I am not against a quality 7th d-man I just think you can get one for 1/2 the price of Zanon and get the same quailty min's out of them.

his current contract would be double what any 7th d-man in the NHL is making. That extra cap savings could make or break a deal come deadline day.
An Extra 1m on 10/1 is huge when the deadline rolls around, because prorated, that becomes more like 2-3m in cap hit. So rather than have to shuffle out player salary to make an addition, you can just take it on. Well worth having 20-25 games of a cheaper flawed defenseman.

I'd still also rather have a guy like Krug make some of those starts, because if they show something, they can build value, and value can be used in trades. Say Krug has a solid 25 games playing in place of Hamilton some nights, and injured players others. He's now a young cheap cost controlled asset that can be dealt for something really good if need be.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
your bold is where we agree. We need a reliable NHL defensman for our 7th and the average rate is closer to 1 million a year not 2 million a year. Find that 7th man elsewhere and use the 1 million extra where it is needed.

People ***** when we overpay a guy by 250k but we are willing to just toss 1 million to a guy and act like it is no big deal.

I don't get it.
This is a great point. We have people wanting to ride David Krejci out of town because he got 5.25 instead of 4.75, but we're cool with paying Greg Zanon over Mike Mottau when come playoff time, CJ isn't going to trust either?

Old
04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:

So you want a quality 6th/7th defensman for 1 million? Pipedream IMO. Remember, the cap is likely to go up so vet d men will likely ask for a bit more.

And I dont really know where you got your stats about 7th d men, but just on the caps I know John Erskine makes 1.5 million a year, and hes what you might call a 7th defensman.

I think where we differ is the quality of a 7th D man we want. I think Zanon is a much better defensman than Mottau, and Id rather pay Zanon 2 million for 1 year than Mottau 1 million, because I think Zanon is a top six NHL d man, and id be far more comfortable with him playing extended minutes than Mottau.

Of course Id rather have more scoring depth than sign a 2 million dollar 7th d man, but if Chiarelli determines we can fit him in then Id say you do it. Zanon on a one year contract would be a VERY tradeable asset at the deadline should we choose to.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:

Not to mention Zanon makes almost $2M now, so he'll prolly want a raise next year.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
An Extra 1m on 10/1 is huge when the deadline rolls around, because prorated, that becomes more like 2-3m in cap hit. So rather than have to shuffle out player salary to make an addition, you can just take it on. Well worth having 20-25 games of a cheaper flawed defenseman.

I'd still also rather have a guy like Krug make some of those starts, because if they show something, they can build value, and value can be used in trades. Say Krug has a solid 25 games playing in place of Hamilton some nights, and injured players others. He's now a young cheap cost controlled asset that can be dealt for something really good if need be.
A lot of "ifs" in that statement. Say Hamilton has a 50 point season next year and all this talk about our 7th d man would be pointless? It could happen.

I'm not willing to take a chance on Mottau being an everyday NHL defensman if Hamilton/Krug show they cant hang with the big boys just yet.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Alicat
Charge!

I'll pass.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

I thought Zanon was good at times this series; but quite weak in some other key situations. Was out of position too often and fell like a little girl in the crease on that Backstom feather-light cross check which led to a goal.

Frankly, if we have Chara, Seids, Boychuk, Ferrence, McQuaid and Hamilton as our top 6, I'd prefer to find someone else entirely for our 7th. Neither Corvo, Mottau nor Zanon do it for me.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there.
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:41 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
A lot of "ifs" in that statement. Say Hamilton has a 50 point season next year and all this talk about our 7th d man would be pointless? It could happen.

I'm not willing to take a chance on Mottau being an everyday NHL defensman if Hamilton/Krug show they cant hang with the big boys just yet.
No, not really a lot of IFs, just one. If Krug can be serviceable or more. If not, we can still acquire a Zanon type down the road.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
McKuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Z-Hamilton
Suter-Seidenberg
Ference-Zanon

Trade McQuaid and Boychuk
Why would you trade McQuaid and Boychuk both of which bring things others on the list can't in favor of Fernece and Zanon?
I'd rather keep McQuiad and Boychuk and get rid of Ference and Zanon if that's the deal.
If you did sign Suter then it would put Hamilton in a position of earning his spot instaed of being our best option by default.
Chara Hamilton
Suter Seidenberg
Boychuk Ference McQuiad looks like a SC d core from here.
How much is left to fix the scoring/PP problem at that point?

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
No, not really a lot of IFs, just one. If Krug can be serviceable or more. If not, we can still acquire a Zanon type down the road.
Hamilton/Krug/Mottau are all IFs at this point. No one has any clue if Hamitlon/Krug are going to be reliable enough for a steady shift next year, meaning Mottau is our sixth defensman? Horrible. We can do better than that.

Why not sign an established vet now and have Krug spend the year in the AHL developing, and have Hamilton sit in the pressbox/play sparingly as he learns?

I think people underestimate the importance of a 7th defensman...if you dont trust him to play an extended amount of games, you should probably look elsewhere.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
So you want a quality 6th/7th defensman for 1 million? Pipedream IMO. Remember, the cap is likely to go up so vet d men will likely ask for a bit more.

And I dont really know where you got your stats about 7th d men, but just on the caps I know John Erskine makes 1.5 million a year, and hes what you might call a 7th defensman.

I think where we differ is the quality of a 7th D man we want. I think Zanon is a much better defensman than Mottau, and Id rather pay Zanon 2 million for 1 year than Mottau 1 million, because I think Zanon is a top six NHL d man, and id be far more comfortable with him playing extended minutes than Mottau.

Of course Id rather have more scoring depth than sign a 2 million dollar 7th d man, but if Chiarelli determines we can fit him in then Id say you do it. Zanon on a one year contract would be a VERY tradeable asset at the deadline should we choose to.
my stats come from Capgeek where I went though every team in the NHL to see what the 7th d-man was getting and NONE were even close to 2 million.

you say on the caps Erskine is the 7th d-man? Well he is 6th on the pay chart.

Green 5.25
Wideman 3.937
Hamerlik 3.5
Poti 2.875
Schultz 2.75
Erskine 1.5
Alzner 1.285

you want to pay our 7th more than their 6th and 7th. Bruins D is already one of the most expensive in the NHL without adding in a 7th D-man. You want to throw another 2 million into that for a guy who "might" not play "if" Hamilton does not work out?

I will pass. Even if Hamilton has a learning curve I would bet you he still gets a lot of games in. he is our one true D prospect. He will not play another year in JR he can't play in the AHL so he will play and earn min's in the NHL next year. I am not paying 2 million (yes double what any other 7th dman in the NHL gets) for a part time player when you can get someone else for 1/2 the price.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:53 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Hamilton/Krug/Mottau are all IFs at this point. No one has any clue if Hamitlon/Krug are going to be reliable enough for a steady shift next year, meaning Mottau is our sixth defensman? Horrible. We can do better than that.

Why not sign an established vet now and have Krug spend the year in the AHL developing, and have Hamilton sit in the pressbox/play sparingly as he learns?

I think people underestimate the importance of a 7th defensman...if you dont trust him to play an extended amount of games, you should probably look elsewhere.
But only one of them has to be solid to solve the issue. If you sign Zanon at $1.75 and carry him on the cap until the deadline that's a bunch of prorated cap space wasted on someone that quite frankly isn't very good.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
my stats come from Capgeek where I went though every team in the NHL to see what the 7th d-man was getting and NONE were even close to 2 million.

you say on the caps Erskine is the 7th d-man? Well he is 6th on the pay chart.

Green 5.25
Wideman 3.937
Hamerlik 3.5
Poti 2.875
Schultz 2.75
Erskine 1.5
Alzner 1.285

you want to pay our 7th more than their 6th and 7th. Bruins D is already one of the most expensive in the NHL without adding in a 7th D-man. You want to throw another 2 million into that for a guy who "might" not play "if" Hamilton does not work out?

I will pass. Even if Hamilton has a learning curve I would bet you he still gets a lot of games in. he is our one true D prospect. He will not play another year in JR he can't play in the AHL so he will play and earn min's in the NHL next year. I am not paying 2 million (yes double what any other 7th dman in the NHL gets) for a part time player when you can get someone else for 1/2 the price.
Erskine is the 7th defensman on the caps, clearly shown by him not playing the first two games then coming in throughout the series. He'll also be the 8th most paid defensman when Alzner and Carlsson get hefty raises...so not sure how that affects anything. If youre going striclty by salary Rolston was our number 1 forward....

You aren't paying Zanon to be the "7th defensman." Youre paying him to be the 6th defensman so we can still compete for a Cup if Hamilton/Krug cant cut the mustard.

This is getting too specific. All I've meant from the beginning is to sign six proven NHL defensmen in which we can still COMPETE for the Cup if Hamilton/Krug arent ready.

People assume that Hamilton is going to be ready to be a steady contributor next year. People also seem to forget that Seguin averaged 12 minutes a game his rookie year as a forward, who are much easier to shelter minutes for. Its not far fetched to think Julien wont trust Hamilton as a top six defensman until deep into the season in which case wed need another d man to replace him. Does anyone feel comfortable with Mottau as a top six defensman? I absolutely do NOT.

As Ive stated previously, Zanon at two is overpaying for a 7th d man, but when you think about the worst possible scenario of both rooks not being ready, you feel a little better knowing we overpaid for that "7th defensman." Ah well, it wouldnt be my first choice, but id rather be safe than sorry if we can fit him under the cap.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
But only one of them has to be solid to solve the issue. If you sign Zanon at $1.75 and carry him on the cap until the deadline that's a bunch of prorated cap space wasted on someone that quite frankly isn't very good.
You're absolutely right, and thats a calculated risk Chiarelli has to examine.

I'm just worried about going into the season as our 6th defensman potentially being two rookies, or Mike Mottau. I think we need a proven 6th defensman to throw in there as we discover if Hamilton is going to be the real deal THIS year.

I wouldnt label this position as a "7th defensman" either. You know how Julien feels about defense, it is NOT far fetched at all to think that Julien wont trust Krug or Hamilton for a large part of next season. Do we really want Mottau as our next best option? Gross.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
You're absolutely right, and thats a calculated risk Chiarelli has to examine.

I'm just worried about going into the season as our 6th defensman potentially being two rookies, or Mike Mottau. I think we need a proven 6th defensman to throw in there as we discover if Hamilton is going to be the real deal THIS year.

I wouldnt label this position as a "7th defensman" either. You know how Julien feels about defense, it is NOT far fetched at all to think that Julien wont trust Krug or Hamilton for a large part of next season. Do we really want Mottau as our next best option? Gross.
I think your perception of the difference between Mottau and Zanon is vastly different than mine.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
I think your perception of the difference between Mottau and Zanon is vastly different than mine.
Could be. I was more using Zanon as an example of someone wed need.

I just want someone good enough to be the 6th defensman where we can fit him under the cap. I don't want to assume one of Hamilton/Krug will be ready.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
Erskine is the 7th defensman on the caps, clearly shown by him not playing the first two games then coming in throughout the series. He'll also be the 8th most paid defensman when Alzner and Carlsson get hefty raises...so not sure how that affects anything. If youre going striclty by salary Rolston was our number 1 forward....

You aren't paying Zanon to be the "7th defensman." Youre paying him to be the 6th defensman so we can still compete for a Cup if Hamilton/Krug cant cut the mustard.

This is getting too specific. All I've meant from the beginning is to sign six proven NHL defensmen in which we can still COMPETE for the Cup if Hamilton/Krug arent ready.

People assume that Hamilton is going to be ready to be a steady contributor next year. People also seem to forget that Seguin averaged 12 minutes a game his rookie year as a forward, who are much easier to shelter minutes for. Its not far fetched to think Julien wont trust Hamilton as a top six defensman until deep into the season in which case wed need another d man to replace him. Does anyone feel comfortable with Mottau as a top six defensman? I absolutely do NOT.

As Ive stated previously, Zanon at two is overpaying for a 7th d man, but when you think about the worst possible scenario of both rooks not being ready, you feel a little better knowing we overpaid for that "7th defensman." Ah well, it wouldnt be my first choice, but id rather be safe than sorry if we can fit him under the cap.
the point about the salries is that you can get a 6th and 7th D-man for much less than 2 million.

This years numbers 6th and 7th D
Wash - Erskine 1.5 & Alzner 1.29
Ana - Brookbank .75 & Guenin .53
Buff - Weber .95 & McNabb .90
Cal - Hannan 1.0 & Brodie .74
Pitt - Strait .86 & Engelland .57
Van - Alberts 1.22 & Rome .75
NYR - Stralman .9 & Eminger .8
San J - Vandermeer 1.0 & White 1.0
Ott - Gilroy 1.0 & Carkner .7
NJD - Larsson .925 & Harrold .550
Habs - Diaz .90 & Emelin .984

I can do the entire NHL but I think this proves a point. Most teams don't pay close to 2 million for a number six. I don't want to pay $2 million for a security #6 in case two or three of our young guys don't work out.

add into the mix that Hamilton's only option to get expierence is to play with the Bruins (he can't play in the AHL) and that in my opinion say's he will get games no matter how he does. I am not on board paying 2 million for a part time security blanket.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
By address it you mean give up assets? Of course its standard. Its also standard for elite NHL teams having good depth at defense and not depending on rookies to step in and perform.

If he can be had for free and in the cap structure then you get a better vet than Mottau IMO.
Oh noes, might have to give up a career AHLer or low pick for a depth rental.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:54 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
You r right. About 1M diff in salary for the same output. Impact on cap as u pointed out is huge also.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote