HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Phx Suns go entire season without a sellout

Old
04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
razor ray

vCash: 500
OT: Phx Suns go entire season without a sellout

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...t-sellout.html

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
As the song goes "Times are a changing"

The last time the Coyotes were the big draw you had the Suns on a downturn....I really wish the Dbacks would stop letting every team score 20 runs a game but with their downturn, the Coyotes are on the main stage.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Not one?

Holy ****!! This team is really going downhill and picking up speed.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
BigGumby

Just wait until Nash leaves.

BigGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGumby View Post
Just wait until Nash leaves.
Forced myself to watch one game this year, well a quarter's worth and it was last night. I figured it would be the last time I would see him in the Orange and Purple.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
MP

This doesn't seem like much of a surprise, not that we needed further confirmation that this city is full of bandwagon-jumpers. From what little I watched, even I could tell the Suns were going nowhere fast. I'm no basketball fan, but I'm pretty sure the object of the game is to throw the ball into the basket, and they didn't seem like they were very good at that. It sucks for Steve Nash--the parallels with our own Captain have been duly noted, and you hate to see guys like that miss out at the end of the day.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

You could argue that the Suns have a worse owner than the Coyotes.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

It amazes me that the Cardinals are so successful as far as selling tickets.

They have had SO MANY bad seasons, and yet they sell out.

How is it that the other 3 sports teams are more affected? Is it because there are just so many football fans that wins/losses don't really matter, they'll still sell out? Or is it that there are so few football games that people are willing to go, even if they are certain to lose?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
It amazes me that the Cardinals are so successful as far as selling tickets.

They have had SO MANY bad seasons, and yet they sell out.
Well they are using the term "sell out" very subjectively. Because the NFL requires you to sell out in order for your games to be shown locally, the Cardinals fudge the numbers a bit. The club level is not included in that figure and is usually empty during the games. When you look at the upper level against a team like the Rams, its usually empty. They take advantage of selling game packs that allow fans of the Cowboys to buy tickets and essentially throw away the ticket to the Rams game (or try to sell for a $1 on Stubhub). They also allow the local TV companies and businesses the opportunity to buy tickets at 30% the normal cost. Those tickets are often donated and usually go unused.

That ends my rant of the day. I will add that the crowds they do average are a 100 times better than the SDS days which is great for them.

Old
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Two words. Robert Sarver.

Pretty sure every Suns fan is now on to his shtick. Remember this is the guy who used to jump around with the foam finger.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:29 PM
_Del_

I've been telling people for years that basketball isn't viable in the desert.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The cards almost never have a weeknight game. Usually, they play in the middle of the day on Sunday. They only play like eight games a season at home.

Hell, I go to seven or eight Yotes games a season, always on the weekend. I could have season tickets to the cards. And there are some people that accuse me of being a terrible Coyotes fan who doesn't support the team.

04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Sarver basically destroyed the team. It's a lot harder to build a successful basketball franchise, in my opinion. Guys don't really fly under the radar in the draft and it's a very individualistic game. I can see a lot of longtime Suns fans not renewing and not supporting Sarver until he is forced to sell the team. Nash is leaving, so there's that too. They will be a lottery team next year.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Lord, no. It's so hot here that you can't dribble on an outdoor court--the ball melts on contact with the pavement. This city doesn't care about the sport, so why not move the team to one that does?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Bring Steve nash home to bc where fans will actually appreciate him. The poor people of Vancouver have been without basketball for too long. It's an insult that a city like phoenix should have a team and a national treasure like steve Nash. Suns need to be relocated to vancouver. Oh and have you heard the city of phoenix pays the suns an arena mgt fee? Ridiculous. The city gives them handouts and the citizens don't evwn care enough to sell out games. Someone call the gwi. Someone call baum. Someone call the Canadian media. This is an outrage.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Lord, no. It's so hot here that you can't dribble on an outdoor court--the ball melts on contact with the pavement. This city doesn't care about the sport, so why not move the team to one that does?
We can't even have outdoor courts. Too hot. Up in BC, there are kids shooting hoops all day, right now.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Tonight will probably be Nash's last game and it still won't even be a sell out.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Bring Steve nash home to bc where fans will actually appreciate him. The poor people of Vancouver have been without basketball for too long. It's an insult that a city like phoenix should have a team and a national treasure like steve Nash. Suns need to be relocated to vancouver. Oh and have you heard the city of phoenix pays the suns an arena mgt fee? Ridiculous. The city gives them handouts and the citizens don't evwn care enough to sell out games. Someone call the gwi. Someone call baum. Someone call the Canadian media. This is an outrage.
Yes, I feel so sorry for the people I'd see all over Memphis with their Vancouver Grizzlies Sharif Abdur-Rahim shirts on... I'm almost rooting for them to get a team back - I've been noticing them hanging out in places like Charlotte and, well, I guess New Orleans got an owner now so they'll be giving up on that... it would be sad for us if the Suns went up there, but I'm sure we'd find new ways to fill the space...maybe a D-league team?

DirtyOldMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quick! Call the GWI. See if they can investigate why the City of Phoenix is paying an AMF to the Suns people. Surely it's against the law.

Yep, better get the U-Hauls ready. As soon as the season ends, I'm sure the Suns will be out of here.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I heard Apple's Tim Cook will be moving them to Cupertino.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Since its Suns related:

Suns Gorilla's antics get mascot a bloody nose

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...#ixzz1t5yNwDPe

Old
04-25-2012, 07:02 PM
awfulwaffle

Sarver, Sarver, Sarver.

I feel really bad for Nash, as he's one of the class acts in basketball. I don't know what it is about Phoenix, but we do tend to get those that deserve more than what Phoenix actually gives them, and Nash is one of them.

We had a couple shots at it, and were very close against the Lakers, and should have beaten the Spurs, but it is what it is. Can't dwell on the past.

I was surprised that they didn't sell out once this year though. I always thought the Suns had been a good draw, but maybe that was the high tempo score 120 points a game offense when we had Craptoni and Stoudamire.

This offseason is going to suck, as I don't see Sarver doing anything productive. Nash is gone for sure, and we are going to be a cellar dweller. That will be good for the Coyotes if in fact they stay here in Arizona. The Coyotes are riding the high of the playoffs right now, and baseball is just starting. If the Suns stink like expected, maybe things for the Coyote could improve that much more.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

I think not having the Heat and Bulls + other top teams come to Phoenix has something to do with it.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:52 AM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOTC View Post
I think not having the Heat and Bulls + other top teams come to Phoenix has something to do with it.
Or because David Stern and the league are a joke.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
DangleAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Sarver, Sarver, Sarver.

I feel really bad for Nash, as he's one of the class acts in basketball. I don't know what it is about Phoenix, but we do tend to get those that deserve more than what Phoenix actually gives them, and Nash is one of them.

We had a couple shots at it, and were very close against the Lakers, and should have beaten the Spurs, but it is what it is. Can't dwell on the past.

I was surprised that they didn't sell out once this year though. I always thought the Suns had been a good draw, but maybe that was the high tempo score 120 points a game offense when we had Craptoni and Stoudamire.

This offseason is going to suck, as I don't see Sarver doing anything productive. Nash is gone for sure, and we are going to be a cellar dweller. That will be good for the Coyotes if in fact they stay here in Arizona. The Coyotes are riding the high of the playoffs right now, and baseball is just starting. If the Suns stink like expected, maybe things for the Coyote could improve that much more.
I have heard that Sarver plays in an adult basketball league and behaves like a spoiled child. Supposedly, he has no game but still antagonizes the refs throughout and makes a fool of himself. I bet Todd Wash is still a fan given Sarver's UA background (and perhaps Sarver likes Tragically Hip).

DangleAngle is offline   Reply With Quote