HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much resources(time & money) do you feel he has wasted?

Old
04-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Larcos_Unal

vCash: 500
Heard on the radio today there's about 10 teams that won't pick up the phone when Burke calls, that's why Nonis/Dudley etc have jobs...these teams detest BB.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:32 PM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post

Take a look at the Leafs in '07-'08. That was as big a mess of an organization as I've seen in a pretty long time. He's more or less had to rebuild everything from the ground up, and while his tenure hasn't exactly been mistake-free (not addressing the goaltending issue, keeping Wilson around far too long, some poor FA signings, arguably the Kessel trade....), I don't think any GM would have us much further along than we are now.

This isn't exactly how it was supposed to go, but it's pretty close.
This....But People think its burkes fault that no one wants to trade us A #1 goaltender or a #1 Center.....

Im happy that we haven't given up draft picks for our goaltenders In the past we would have traded for useless Crappy Goaltenders.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:33 PM
birddog*

Burke said he wanted a quick rebuild -- rebuild on the fly -- 4 years later...

Burke said he likes to build from the net out -- 4 years later -- they have some of the worst goaltending in the league.

Burke said he wanted a tough team -- 4 years later -- I have never seen a sofeter bunch of Leafs...

Burke says a lot of things -- 4 years later -- not many have come true.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:41 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
Heard on the radio today there's about 10 teams that won't pick up the phone when Burke calls, that's why Nonis/Dudley etc have jobs...these teams detest BB.
So who said it? Then we can possibly evaluate whether it's something to possibly be believed.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post

Burke said he likes to build from the net out -- 4 years later -- they have some of the worst goaltending in the league.

Burke said he wanted a tough team -- 4 years later -- I have never seen a sofeter bunch of Leafs...

This .

Burke talks and talks and talks and then he talks some more yet he accomplishes very little .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:45 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post

Burke has been GM for ~3.5 years. If you want to talk about the state of the Leafs four years after Burke has arrived, come back around American Thanksgiving.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Burke's two biggest mistakes were being a public figurehead and talking about all of his desired goals, giving people the impression that they were either promises or expected certainties, and overpaying for his stop gap and/or short-term UFA signings.

This is based on the amount of people in this forum and in the media that like to rag on him for the ACK components of LACK and talk about how we were promised playoffs every year or something.

But if I'm being honest and speaking from my perspective, the only mistakes I feel he's made are not ones related specifically to the rebuild, but related to the performance of the NHL club: keeping Wilson far too long, especially knowing in hindsight that he and Wilson were not on the same page and that Wilson's style was not suited to our roster as a whole, and gambling on the goaltending for this season.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Sounds like BS to me. Unless Dreger or someone of that calibre said it I dont buy it. I can see a couple teams, but 10?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
javier

Quote:
Ooooooh, you heard it on the radio. So that means it must be true.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Burke hasn't wasted anything, in fact he's doing what previous GM's should have done a long time ago.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Team was a mess when Burke came. He has now done a good job of restocking the prospect pool but now it's time to right the team that ices in the NHL. I don't like some of the signings he has done, but we were never going to be competing for the cup so quickly so I don't care as much. Would I have liked to make the playoffs by now? Of course. Would not signing all those bad contracts help us make the playoffs? Hard to say, but probably. If the team doesn't make strides this coming season I think it is time for him to go. Either make the playoffs or get eliminated in the final days of the regular season. No more bottom feeding.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Burke started with a barren roster, and over 3 years has added the following young players to our system:

Kessel, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Franson, Bozak, Scrivens, Ashton, Frattin, Colbourne, Kadri, Blacker, D'amigo, Ross, McKegg, Granberg, Biggs, Percy.

No other GM in hockey has added this many good young players over the last 3 years (excluding EDM, who win every lottery). To suggest that Burke hasn't done anything over 3 years is insane.
I'm going to have to object strongly to your list. A lot of other teams are just as busy adding young talent. From the 2009 draft onwards, you have teams like:

Colorado: Landeskog, O'Reilly, Duchene, Varlamov, Elliot, Barrie, Hishon, Siemens, Erik Johnson, McGinn, Downie, Mueller

Ottawa: Cowen, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, Noesen, Puempel, Rundblad/Turris, Stone, Filatov, Bishop, Butler

Philadelphia: B Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Ranford, Wellwood, Voracek, Read, Bobrovsky, Gustafson, Bourdon

Florida: Huberdeau, Versteeg, Gudbranson, Grimaldi, Howden, Bjugstad, Petrovic, McFarland, Kulikov, Shore, Wolski

Minnesota: Granlund, Brodin, Philips, Bulmer, Zucker, Larsson, Leddy (traded), Setoguchi, Hackett

Rangers: didn't add youth exclusively, but have added Gaborik, Richards, Horak/Erixon, McDonagh, Miller, Kreider, Stralman (LOL)

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Burke is the best GM for this type of market...

He has added a GREAT support staff and many good young players.

Has he has immediate results. NO, has he rebuilt the farm and cleaned up JFJ's mess, YES!

People have to remember the state of the franchise after JFJ and Fletcher. We had a brutal AHL tam that lead to a brutal NHL team.

TODAY our farm is competing for a championship and have looked good.

Has Burke made some mistakes... YES, has he done more good then bad... 100% YES

It is such a similar situation from when he was in Vancouver and look where they have been the last couple of year's (2 president trophies, stanley cup finals, multiple individual awards)

Give him time! Through this new CBA we need Burke. Circumventing the cap we be no longer and that favors Burke in the way does business. Especially with that primo FA crop in 2013.

In Burke we trust

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Burke is the best GM for this type of market...
He is a stubborn GM in the largest hockey market in the world. This means what he says and wants will be heard more from the NHL. Nothing out of it specifically yet that I can think of but I think it will help us be one step ahead in the future.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Ricky Bobby

Why do people get so upset about the cap space Burke has wasted in the past? Would you rather Burke didn't spend that money, had more cap space than any GM would ever need to have heading into a season so we can then complain about how the Leafs didn't spend to the cap and were cheap?

GMs have to overpay for UFAs. Especially GMs of teams that aren't contenders like Toronto is/was at the time of those signings.

People are also unrealistic about what a 3-5 million player on a term of less than 5 years buys in free agency. That buys 2nd/3rd liners.

-Beauchemin got paid # 3-4 dmen money but was asked to be a # 1-2 dmen in Toronto. Having him as an asset to trade sure looks good now.

-Connolly got 2 years. The 1st year was front loaded to make him more tradeable in the 2nd year if necessary. After Richards went to the Rangers which is where he was going all along, what options did Burke have?

-Komisarek was an awful signing but nobody could have predicted he'd have been this bad. His contract was front loaded as well. Making him more tradeable in the last 2 seasons.

-Armstrong was only given 3 years and nobody could have predicted he'd have this many injury problems. When healthy, Armstrong is a good 3rd and players of his calibar get 2.5 to 3.5 million a year as UFAs. How about we let Armstrong not be injured before we completely throw him under the bus.

-Bozak and CMac were both UFA signings

If Burke need cap space this off-season to make a big deal Burke also has lots of flexibility. One move like trading Komisarek to a non-cap team like the Islanders for a guy who belongs in the AHL like Marty Reasoner and the problem is solved. Or just waiving Lombardi.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 04-25-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Where did you hear that?

And how could anyone possibly verify that that is the case?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
If that is the case those other GMs should be fired. As a GM you should always be looking to better your team and should be talking to all other GMs. Why waste time talking to an assistant? Go straight to the man in charge.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
If that is the case those other GMs should be fired. As a GM you should always be looking to better your team and should be talking to all other GMs. Why waste time talking to an assistant? Go straight to the man in charge.
Well said.

That's why I asked where that ridiculous statement about 10 teams came from.

First of all I have no idea how anyone would actually verify that; would someone go around and poll all the GMs?? Would any of the GMs actually ADMIT to not picking up Burke's call??

Second of all, I bet a BUNCH of those executives don't like each other - they are competing for kids, competing for other players, and competing against one another for jobs.

But as you said, it's about them doing a job first and foremost - you put that crap aside in order to do the best job available to you.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:35 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Where did you hear that?

And how could anyone possibly verify that that is the case?
It's all BS but it's good for the radio station. People love to hear and believe the inside scoop even if it's not real, they'll even tune in for more the next day.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Well said.

That's why I asked where that ridiculous statement about 10 teams came from.

First of all I have no idea how anyone would actually verify that; would someone go around and poll all the GMs?? Would any of the GMs actually ADMIT to not picking up Burke's call??

Second of all, I bet a BUNCH of those executives don't like each other - they are competing for kids, competing for other players, and competing against one another for jobs.

But as you said, it's about them doing a job first and foremost - you put that crap aside in order to do the best job available to you.
I would also add that the GM may not always take the best offer in the eyes of a GM offering something different/not given time to offer more.

In the OHL this year, The Knights got I think it was Watson for fairly cheap. One GM outright said that he was surprised he didn't get him because he offered more than the Knights. Maybe he did in his eyes, maybe he actually did, but I bet that the GM who thinks he did no longer likes the GM who accepted the Knights offer.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Kurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm going to have to object strongly to your list. A lot of other teams are just as busy adding young talent. From the 2009 draft onwards, you have teams like:

Colorado: Landeskog, O'Reilly, Duchene, Varlamov, Elliot, Barrie, Hishon, Siemens, Erik Johnson, McGinn, Downie, Mueller

Ottawa: Cowen, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lehner, Noesen, Puempel, Rundblad/Turris, Stone, Filatov, Bishop, Butler

Philadelphia: B Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Ranford, Wellwood, Voracek, Read, Bobrovsky, Gustafson, Bourdon

Florida: Huberdeau, Versteeg, Gudbranson, Grimaldi, Howden, Bjugstad, Petrovic, McFarland, Kulikov, Shore, Wolski

Minnesota: Granlund, Brodin, Philips, Bulmer, Zucker, Larsson, Leddy (traded), Setoguchi, Hackett

Rangers: didn't add youth exclusively, but have added Gaborik, Richards, Horak/Erixon, McDonagh, Miller, Kreider, Stralman (LOL)

Good post, but we're talking about young players, not vets (so the Rags are out). Also, Philly got their top young guys by trading away two star centres...not something Burke had, so we have to cross them out too.

The Minny young guys you've listed aren't up to par with the young guys we've brought in. I'd say Colorado isn't...although it hinges on Duchene, is he a super-star in the making, or is he what we saw this year.

I'll give you Florida and Ottawa though, you're right there.

So over 3.5 years, the only teams on par with Burke in assembling stellar youth (without trading away multiple superstars) are Edmonton, Ottawa, Florida and possibly Colorado. I'd say that's pretty damn solid.

Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:50 PM
TheDroughtEndsHERE

Are you guys serious right now?

Name ONE GM in the history of the NHL that could of turned the pile of **** we had in 08 into a contending team now.

Do you all really think without Burke we would of landed Lupul, Gardiner and Phanuef?

Throw out L.A.C.K. and replace them with Kadri, Frattin and Franson fulltime aswell as a solid, veteran goalie and this teams in the playoffs right now.

I won't even mention how much Burke has upgraded our prospect pool because we all know he has whether your a Burke fan or not you CANNOT deny that.

And don't give me the Kessel BS...are you all really that heartbroken that we got a 24 year old 37 goal, 83 point RW? Most players don't hit their prime until around 27...hopefully you all don't run Kessel out of town before he's putting up 40 goal, 90+ point seasons.

I understand that with no playoffs us Leaf fans are trying hard to find something to talk about, but there's no need for this thread at this time. Let's just enjoy our 5th overall pick, draft a stud and be happy that Lombardi, Armstrong and Connolly are coming off the books next summer...

Because by the time 2013/2014 comes along guys like Biggs, Ashton, Ross, Colborne(?) and our 5th overall pick this june will be ready to rock and with all the cap space that summer...play our cards right and we could be a very, very good team.

TheDroughtEndsHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDroughtEndsHERE View Post
Are you guys serious right now?

Name ONE GM in the history of the NHL that could of turned the pile of **** we had in 08 into a contending team now.

Do you all really think without Burke we would of landed Lupul, Gardiner and Phanuef?

Throw out L.A.C.K. and replace them with Kadri, Frattin and Franson fulltime aswell as a solid, veteran goalie and this teams in the playoffs right now.

I won't even mention how much Burke has upgraded our prospect pool because we all know he has whether your a Burke fan or not you CANNOT deny that.

And don't give me the Kessel BS...are you all really that heartbroken that we got a 24 year old 37 goal, 83 point RW? Most players don't hit their prime until around 27...hopefully you all don't run Kessel out of town before he's putting up 40 goal, 90+ point seasons.

I understand that with no playoffs us Leaf fans are trying hard to find something to talk about, but there's no need for this thread at this time. Let's just enjoy our 5th overall pick, draft a stud and be happy that Lombardi, Armstrong and Connolly are coming off the books next summer...

Because by the time 2013/2014 comes along guys like Biggs, Ashton, Ross, Colborne(?) and our 5th overall pick this june will be ready to rock and with all the cap space that summer...play our cards right and we could be a very, very good team.
Dale Tallon turned a pile of **** into the panthers this year.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:02 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Good post, but we're talking about young players, not vets (so the Rags are out). Also, Philly got their top young guys by trading away two star centres...not something Burke had, so we have to cross them out too.

The Minny young guys you've listed aren't up to par with the young guys we've brought in. I'd say Colorado isn't...although it hinges on Duchene, is he a super-star in the making, or is he what we saw this year.

I'll give you Florida and Ottawa though, you're right there.

So over 3.5 years, the only teams on par with Burke in assembling stellar youth (without trading away multiple superstars) are Edmonton, Ottawa, Florida and possibly Colorado. I'd say that's pretty damn solid.
Other teams are concentrating on adding pieces to their contending teams.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:12 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
if this is true .......hes fired ...rogers /bell whole platform is selling product,if if one third of your costomers wont talk to u how can u operate ......unreal if tis is true this has gotta be the biggest red flag yet

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote