HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At the draft would you want the 1st overall

Old
04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
I like Staal, but he and Shero know he's going to get a hefty raise and a bigger role if he goes to UFA. Unless he takes a very small raise and is willing to play wing, he's gone. He's making 4 mil now. Someone will offer him 5+, and you simply don't pay that for a checking line center no matter what he brings. If Shero could pull off a trade involving him and 1st overall without killing the team, I wouldn't cut my wrists, but I bet it'd cost a lot more than just Staal.
Somebody will offer him a lot more than $5M. I'd say $6.5-$7.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Somebody will offer him a lot more than $5M. I'd say $6.5-$7.
Kesler makes 5. Staal isn't better than him. Someone might get nutty and toss that kinda change at him, but imo, 4.5 is good value for Staal.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:25 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Kesler makes 5. Staal isn't better than him. Someone might get nutty and toss that kinda change at him, but imo, 4.5 is good value for Staal.
You're out to lunch if you think he's getting less than Neal for one, and if Kesler's contract is a base for him for two. He'd EASILY get over $6M on the open market.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Two words: Ville Leino.

Staal is getting paid big time.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
You're out to lunch if you think he's getting less than Neal for one, and if Kesler's contract is a base for him for two. He'd EASILY get over $6M on the open market.
So would Kesler. But now we're talking about teams like the Islanders, the Avs, the Leafs.

And goal scores get paid. Neal just potted 40. Staal brings a lot, but he shouldn't be paid more than Neal, esp. if he's going to stay as the 3C. On this team, I'd offer no more than 4.5.

Old
04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Staal + Despres for 1st and Eberle.
Why not go all out and do:

Staal
Martin
Lovejoy
2012 1st

for

Eberle
Lander
2012 1st Overall
2012 2nd

justsayin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Two words: Ville Leino.

Staal is getting paid big time.
two other words, James Neal...

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Nevermind

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Can they also throw in RNH?
Not sure if serious.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Violent By Design

Let's be reality here, Shero will never draft a Russian in the first round, even if it's with the 1st overall and said Russian is the consensus #1 pick.

I hope we take a chance on Nikita Gusev with a mid pick, but the cynic in me knows Shero won't.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:54 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Why not go all out and do:

Staal
Martin
Lovejoy
2012 1st

for

Eberle
Lander
2012 1st Overall
2012 2nd
Is it sarcasm?

So Eberle + Yakupov + 31st overall + Lander FOR Staal, Salary dump, scrub and 20-24th overall ???

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:26 AM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
Let's be reality here, Shero will never draft a Russian in the first round, even if it's with the 1st overall and said Russian is the consensus #1 pick.

I hope we take a chance on Nikita Gusev with a mid pick, but the cynic in me knows Shero won't.
i would rather trade our first and some to st. louie for vlad

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:58 AM
SIDGENO8771

Staal straight up

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
two other words, James Neal...
UFA --> RFA --> big difference.

Jordan Staal will definitely get at least 5 a year from the Pens, because if not, he will probably test the market. Now that is unless the cap goes down by a big margin, which is very unlikely.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
So would Kesler. But now we're talking about teams like the Islanders, the Avs, the Leafs.

And goal scores get paid. Neal just potted 40. Staal brings a lot, but he shouldn't be paid more than Neal, esp. if he's going to stay as the 3C. On this team, I'd offer no more than 4.5.
Staal IS a goal scorer. He was on pace for 33 goals this season (and 66 points) with barely no PP time and lesser linemates. Also he was our leading scorer in the playoffs. Combine that with the fact that he's a 23 year old former Selkie nominee, and his offensive game is just starting to bloom...

You are insane to think that he's going to get $4.5M even on this team. Players like that get paid at least $6M easily, even on Stanley Cup contenders. If you can't see that then I can't help you.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
gdsmack267

Staal will get like 5 years 32 million. When it comes down to it, pens will have to choose 2/3 between Letang, Staal and Martin. Staal will be getting a raise of 1.5-2 from where he is at now. Letang will be getting a raise of 3-3.5 million. Moving Martin's 5 million is the only option that makes sense to me. Niskanens emergence and with Despres and Morrow not far behind Martins puck moving skills will be obsolete.

Last edited by gdsmack267: 04-26-2012 at 08:39 AM.
gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Staal will get like 5 years 32 million. When it comes down to it, pens will have to choose 2/3 between Letang, Staal and Martin. Staal will be getting a raise of 1.5-2 from where he is at now. Letang will be getting a raise of 3-3.5 million. Moving Martin's 5 million is the only option that makes sense to me. Niskanens emergence and with Despres and Morrow not far behind Martins puck moving skills will be obsolete.
There's no question that any way you slice it or look at the future, Paul Martin has to go.

My hope is we can get Crosby & Staal signed up for long-term deals -- and I don't mind going up to $6million for Staal or give a guy like Suter $6million if we can get them on 6 to 8 year terms. The salary cap may not go up this year, but it should go up after that in the future, and that would bode well for us long-term in being able to retain our other players.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
Let's be reality here, Shero will never draft a Russian in the first round, even if it's with the 1st overall and said Russian is the consensus #1 pick..
Even the year we got Malkin?

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
Even the year we got Malkin?
Shero didn't draft Malkin.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
he would have

And there's no way Staal gets less than 5 million a year. I'd be thrilled with anything under 6 mil.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:06 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
So u are telling me he would have skipped Malkin and drafted Cam Barker?

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
I know that. just saying only an idiot would have taken the 1st overall pick that year and skipped both Ovechkin and Malkin.

while Shero is many things, an idiot is not one of them.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
So u are telling me he would have skipped Malkin and drafted Cam Barker?
lol, no I'm just saying.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:40 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Staal IS a goal scorer. He was on pace for 33 goals this season (and 66 points) with barely no PP time and lesser linemates. Also he was our leading scorer in the playoffs. Combine that with the fact that he's a 23 year old former Selkie nominee, and his offensive game is just starting to bloom...

You are insane to think that he's going to get $4.5M even on this team. Players like that get paid at least $6M easily, even on Stanley Cup contenders. If you can't see that then I can't help you.
One thing I cringe at when talking about players is what they were on pace for. Pace doesn't matter. Results do. At one point, he was on pace for 40+ goals. At one point, Matt Cooke was on pace for 164 goals. The fact remains, Staal has never scored more than 29 goals. He's never reached more than 50 points. He's never won a Selke. He's never been to the All-Star game.

Kesler has scored 41 goals. He's reached 75 points. He's won the Selke. He's getting paid 30 million dollars over 6 years. He's gone to the All-Star game. He could've gotten much more in the open market, but he knew he needed to take a discount to spread the wealth, and he's the second line center for the team thats won the Presidents Trophy the past two seasons. Staal is our third line center. It would be beyond foolish to sign Staal to anything more than 5 per.

In a year that's unlike others, Staal got top six duties because our first line center was down for most of the season. Unless Staal moves to the wing, chances are, his stats aren't going to increase. I'm not saying he isn't worth top dollars in this league, because there are certainly a lot of GM's that would overpay to get Staal. What I'm talking about is his worth to this team. If he's playing 3rd line center, we shouldn't pay him more than 4.5-5 per. Not if we want to continue to watch Crosby play with Dupuis' and Sullivans.

I'm in the boat that'd like to see more creative talent in the top six. If that means Staal has to go, it sucks, but business decisions often come down to the decisions you wish you didn't have to make.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
One thing I cringe at when talking about players is what they were on pace for. Pace doesn't matter. Results do. At one point, he was on pace for 40+ goals. At one point, Matt Cooke was on pace for 164 goals. The fact remains, Staal has never scored more than 29 goals. He's never reached more than 50 points. He's never won a Selke. He's never been to the All-Star game.

Kesler has scored 41 goals. He's reached 75 points. He's won the Selke. He's getting paid 30 million dollars over 6 years. He's gone to the All-Star game. He could've gotten much more in the open market, but he knew he needed to take a discount to spread the wealth, and he's the second line center for the team thats won the Presidents Trophy the past two seasons. Staal is our third line center. It would be beyond foolish to sign Staal to anything more than 5 per.

In a year that's unlike others, Staal got top six duties because our first line center was down for most of the season. Unless Staal moves to the wing, chances are, his stats aren't going to increase. I'm not saying he isn't worth top dollars in this league, because there are certainly a lot of GM's that would overpay to get Staal. What I'm talking about is his worth to this team. If he's playing 3rd line center, we shouldn't pay him more than 4.5-5 per. Not if we want to continue to watch Crosby play with Dupuis' and Sullivans.

I'm in the boat that'd like to see more creative talent in the top six. If that means Staal has to go, it sucks, but business decisions often come down to the decisions you wish you didn't have to make.
What he's worth to us in his role and what he could get payed by another team are very different things. this is why I wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he wants to leave if we can't get him a top 6 role.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote