HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates are too big

Old
04-24-2012, 03:53 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Skates are too big

Earlier this year I started playing ice hockey and honestly had no idea how tight/loose ice skates should feel. Well after playing with them a couple games, I've realized they're too big and was wondering if there was anything i can do to make them feel tighter without having to buy new skates. It's the end of hockey season for me and I probably will only play a couple of times for the next few months so I don't want to buy new skates yet but will if there isnt another option

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
hyster110

wear think socks

when tying your skates, you have to make sure you lock your heel into the skate, so the eyelets that srat going up your foot should be tied tight so your heel wont slip

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
theFinn

This might actually be a better time to buy skates, I know in the last couple months all the places around me have had sales on this years models to make room for next years stuff (and the summer baseball/soccer stock).

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Not a good situation. If you buy skates too small there are some things you can do to make them work. Too big and you probably have to get new ones. Next time spend as much time as needed trying on multiple brands and sizes. The last pair I bought took about an hour and a half to fit and bake. I ended up getting something completely different than I thought I would get. Heel should be locked in and toes should be feathering the toe cap.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Not a good situation. If you buy skates too small there are some things you can do to make them work. Too big and you probably have to get new ones. Next time spend as much time as needed trying on multiple brands and sizes. The last pair I bought took about an hour and a half to fit and bake. I ended up getting something completely different than I thought I would get. Heel should be locked in and toes should be feathering the toe cap.
Absolutely true, if you can find your size, now is a good time to snag a pair of closeout skates that fit.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:16 AM
beth

Don't torture yourself, just buy new (or used) skates that fit right.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:31 AM
bp spec

If buying new is an alternative, do it. If not, wear thick socks.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
If buying new is an alternative, do it. If not, wear thick socks.
Don't expect to be anything near comfortable using thick socks though. Just a heads up, there are reasons why hockey socks are designed thin.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
jntadt22

I haven't worn socks with my skates since I was about 12 years old. They smell really bad, but they are just the most comfortable for me.

jntadt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
goonx

buy new skates... that's the only real fix to your problem.

I went from a 9D (easton externo) to a 6.5D (XXXX) to a 5.5EE (one.9) within two years. They cost a lot but it was well worth it. Properly fitted skates feel like nothing you've ever felt before - power and quickness. Skates that are too big for you only hinder your development since you can't properly use the edges, toe and heel.

If you don't want to fork out $500 for a new pair, look on ebay at this time of year. A lot of people sell their fairly new pair of skates for cheap ($170-$300 for high end skates). Some people only wore them for 2-3 skates and decided to quit (10/10 or 9/10 condition). That's how i snagged my XXXX for $140.

Avoid skates that are "used used" and broken in (8/10 or less). Those won't do you any good. The best way to shop for used skates is to look at the amount of steel left and the liner condition.

BTW always go check out your size at the LHS. You don't have to get someone to "serve" you but you use those boot measuring devices to check for an approx size and try a few pairs on to find the proper fit. Different models/brands have different fits. Most important of all, take your time and know your own "foot shape". Search here for a few good threads on how to get "perfectly fitted" skates. You don't want to buy a new pair again and find that you're a size too big.

Vapours - narrow
Supreme - between a D and a E for width in comparison to Vapours
CCM U+ - similar fit to supreme or even wider

Last edited by goonx: 04-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.
goonx is offline   Reply With Quote