HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

All Things Jordan Staal

Old
05-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
You said he was awful as a #1 center... I pointed out that he produced offensively, like a top line center within a defensive minded system, and took a team that lost both it's super stars to the playoffs.

Not sure what's so shabby about 57 pts... David Backes scored 54 this year... he's a #1 franchise center. Getzlaf scored 57... he's a #1 franchise center. Mike Richards scored 44 in 74 games...

and even this year, when he was a top 6 center for the majority of the season, he played at a 66 pt pace.

wake up
I'll have to back peddle a little with the "awful" analysis, but I stand by my opinion that Staal is over-hyped and not worth overpaying to acquire and keep. He would be an amazing fit with the Sabres, but the price is to high.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:12 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I'll have to back peddle a little with the "awful" analysis, but I stand by my opinion that Staal is over-hyped and not worth overpaying to acquire and keep. He would be an amazing fit with the Sabres, but the price is to high.
Oh so you know the price if it stafford is the significent piece going back we have to make the deal

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:39 PM
ADoubleD

I don't think you can necessarily look at Staal's production in Pitt to determine the kind of numbers he'd put up here. He would most likely be asked to play a different role here than he has with the Pens. Not only that but the Pens really only have 3 good wingers in Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis and when Sid and Malkin are both healthy I can't imagine Staal gets to play with those guys at ES. After those guys Pitt's wingers are average at best.

When the Pens are healthy who does Staal usually play with? Compare that to the guys he would/could play with here to get an idea of what kind of numbers he might put up.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
I don't think you can necessarily look at Staal's production in Pitt to determine the kind of numbers he'd put up here. He would most likely be asked to play a different role here than he has with the Pens. Not only that but the Pens really only have 3 good wingers in Neal, Kunitz, and Dupuis and when Sid and Malkin are both healthy I can't imagine Staal gets to play with those guys at ES. After those guys Pitt's wingers are average at best.

When the Pens are healthy who does Staal usually play with? Compare that to the guys he would/could play with here to get an idea of what kind of numbers he might put up.
Cooke, Kennedy, Sullivan and Dupuis

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Oh so you know the price if it stafford is the significent piece going back we have to make the deal
Well no, nobody actually knows anything about it. But I know Ray Shero the general manager. And he's not about to let his prized #2 overall pick, his first pick ever as a GM, go away without feeling like he's won the deal in a landslide. Especially since the Staal hype is at it's peak, his trade value may never be higher than it is right now. That was pretty much his best pro season, he's still only like what, 23?!? Scored 6 goals in 6 playoff games...

Any GM that acquires Staal this summer is going to get a bump in ticket sales for sure. I feel like the Sabres would certainly survive trading Stafford for Staal, and despite the added cap they would probably be a better team for it.

It's also worth noting that Staal is kind of moody, he might want to play for a specific team and that team might not be the Sabres. So, there is a risk of not extending his contract before UFA. And Stafford+more is DEF not worth 1 year of Staal. On that I'm sure we can all agree.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
I see Eklund has jumped on the Staal to Buffalo rumor train as well.
Quote:
There are rumors out there already of teams who are interested in acquiring Jordan Staal and the one team who looks the most likely to be front and center at the coming draft is Buffalo. The Sabres have quality d-men, but would love the kind of frontline center Jordan Staal would bring them. The Sabres ownership also has strong ties to Pittsburgh and has made no bones about it.

However, the Sabres aren't the only team who will line up.... and yes, like yesterday EVERY team would love to add a star player like Kane or Staal or Suter or Parise...that is not the point. I am a broken record here, but remember what I do is report on the teams I hear about through my connections. If I hear about a team wanting a guy I will write about it....and while no team will throw a player like Staal aside, not every team is targeting him as their #1 goal in the offseason. I am quickly finding there are teams interested in Parise, teams interested in Suter, teams interested in Semin, teams interested in Staal, etc...not many teams can go for more than one HUGE contract.

Other teams who I have heard connected to Staal include Toronto and Chicago...interestingly enough two more teams with defensive depth from which to deal.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I see Eklund has jumped on the Staal to Buffalo rumor train as well.
I had pretty much given up on the Staal dream... since, if he's actually made available, he'll end up in the west, as there would be plenty of suitors.

but now that Eklund jumped in, I can finally put the nail in that coffin...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:06 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
I had pretty much given up on the Staal dream... since, if he's actually made available, he'll end up in the west, as there would be plenty of suitors.

but now that Eklund jumped in, I can finally put the nail in that coffin...
Yea, no kidding! If it spits out of Eklunds brain like an engine burning oil..... You can almost bet the opposite will happen

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Staal's Future

LeBrun: I don't think Pittsburgh Penguins centre Jordan Staal is available yet but he might be. Right now, the Penguins have received phone calls from other teams inquiring about his availability but I believe the plan in Pittsburgh is to try to sign Staal and Sidney Crosby to extensions because they're a year out from their contracts expiring. If they can't get both done and it starts to get complicated, then I think Staal is back on the table.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397347

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:54 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Thanks for Lebrun's report (no sarcasm).

I personally believe that the Penguins want Staal back. However, these rumors spawned as a result of him wanting out - not the Pens being unable to re-sign him. If he wants out, he won't sign. If he doesn't sign, he's trade bait.

I fully expect Regier to kick the tires, much like he (rumored) kicked the tires on Getzlaf.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:30 AM
heartsabres*

What is the hype with Staal? This getting out of hand. He scored 50 points once in his last year. He has never scored 30 goals. He wants 6,000,000. People are talking about trading the farm for this guy. Please stop, he is not a first line center and not worth two firsts, roy and stafford. On top of that the guy could bolt at the end of the season and left with nothing.

We should aim for someone with a few years left on a contract or doesn't cost so much. That being said I think guys like Jame are way overpricing Staal and I think something lake the 12th, Adam and Stafford should be able to get it done. No interest inn giving up top 4 defenceman or both Stafford and Roy. I think we should be trying to trade Roy for a first. I am not a big fan of Roy but I think he will rebound this year.

Last edited by heartsabres*: 06-01-2012 at 05:36 AM.
heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
What is the hype with Staal? This getting out of hand. He scored 50 points once in his last year. He has never scored 30 goals. He wants 6,000,000. People are talking about trading the farm for this guy. Please stop, he is not a first line center and not worth two firsts, roy and stafford. On top of that the guy could bolt at the end of the season and left with nothing.

We should aim for someone with a few years left on a contract or doesn't cost so much. That being said I think guys like Jame are way overpricing Staal and I think something lake the 12th, Adam and Stafford should be able to get it done. No interest inn giving up top 4 defenceman or both Stafford and Roy. I think we should be trying to trade Roy for a first. I am not a big fan of Roy but I think he will rebound this year.
Thing is hes scoring 50 points because hes on the 3rd line behind Malkin and Crosby. Also Malkin and Crosby eat up all powerplay time and that leaves Staal on the PK. He is easily a 75 point 2 way center, and that is why you trade the farm for him.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

LOL. Elite defensive prowess, playing on the third line, 23(24? iono) years old. I would easily give up 2 1sts, Roy and Stafford. Realistically, we would need to send a package of Foligno, McNabb and maybe the 21st? If that was the case, I wouldn't do it however.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Thing is hes scoring 50 points because hes on the 3rd line behind Malkin and Crosby. Also Malkin and Crosby eat up all powerplay time and that leaves Staal on the PK. He is easily a 75 point 2 way center, and that is why you trade the farm for him.
I like and want J. Staal ....

But, easily? Really? C'mon.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
LOL. Elite defensive prowess, playing on the third line, 23(24? iono) years old. I would easily give up 2 1sts, Roy and Stafford. Realistically, we would need to send a package of Foligno, McNabb and maybe the 21st? If that was the case, I wouldn't do it however.
I'd replace Foligno, with Armia... and and replace the 21st with 12th and still do it

Armia, McNabb, 12th overall

that's kind of a monster offer...
(i would need some sort of assurance that Staal would sign an extension)

Old
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Check out his player usage last year ( https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...g0NWFmOWEyYzNh ). He started in the offensive zone under 50% of the time, and played inordinately difficult competition--his QoC barely fit on the chart!--and still scored 50 pts in 62 games, despite not seeing huge PP time. He's precisely the type of player Buffalo should be targeting. He would allow Hodgson and Ennis to be deployed more frequently in the offensive zone, and could help take on other teams' top players.

We play in a division that's very likely about to add Galchenyuk and Grigorenko, and already has Spezza and Boston's depth (Seguin likely to step to the fore in the not-too-distant future). And we have nobody that can shut down players of that ilk and be an offensive threat in the meantime. I drool at the possibility of a xxxx-Staal-Pominville line.

There is not a better (possibly available) fit for the Buffalo Sabres than Jordan Staal.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Check out his player usage last year ( https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...g0NWFmOWEyYzNh ). He started in the offensive zone under 50% of the time, and played inordinately difficult competition--his QoC barely fit on the chart!--and still scored 50 pts in 62 games, despite not seeing huge PP time. He's precisely the type of player Buffalo should be targeting. He would allow Hodgson and Ennis to be deployed more frequently in the offensive zone, and could help take on other teams' top players.

We play in a division that's very likely about to add Galchenyuk and Grigorenko, and already has Spezza and Boston's depth (Seguin likely to step to the fore in the not-too-distant future). And we have nobody that can shut down players of that ilk and be an offensive threat in the meantime. I drool at the possibility of a xxxx-Staal-Pominville line.

There is not a better (possibly available) fit for the Buffalo Sabres than Jordan Staal.
Well put Zip. Like Jame said, if I had assurances he would extend his stay here, I wouldnt think twice about sending Armia and 12 to Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the link to the player usage charts as well, really interesting reading. And wow was Grags sheltered or what?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
gallagt01

I still believe Pittsburgh's interest would be piqued by a package surrounding Sekera and 12.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I still believe Pittsburgh's interest would be piqued by a package surrounding Sekera and 12.
i still believe there is NO WAY he is traded to a team in the East. IF he's available, there will 15 suitors in the West.

You think Pittsburgh is sending him to a team they could meet year after year in the playoffs... a guy who at 23 is already considered an elite shut down center...

no ****ing way

it's fun to think about... because Staal is EVERYTHING this team desperately needs. but its never going to happen

Old
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
i still believe there is NO WAY he is traded to a team in the East. IF he's available, there will 15 suitors in the West.

You think Pittsburgh is sending him to a team they could meet year after year in the playoffs... a guy who at 23 is already considered an elite shut down center.
That may very well be the tact that the Pens take but, as McKenzie and others have noted, it may not work out the way they want if Staal refuses to sign any extension with a team he gets dealt to. If Staal wants to join his brother in Carolina or go to a team in the East, he can just play out the last year of his current contract with whomever the Pens deal him to in the West, then bolt in free agency to the team he wants. Any suitor - be it in the East or West - won't be as generous with their trade offer if there's a risk of losing Staal after just a year.

If the Pens and Staal somehow compromise on a shorter extension, one would think that Staal would ask for a NTC/NMC - thereby giving him control as well.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

You think Pittsburgh is sending him to a team they could meet year after year in the playoffs... a guy who at 23 is already considered an elite shut down center...

no ****ing way

it's fun to think about... because Staal is EVERYTHING this team desperately needs. but its never going to happen
Correct. That's why they should be pursuing the Poor Man's Jordan Staal, Joe Pavelski. If SJ ever entertained the idea of moving him--and I've stated over and over they'd be stupid to do so--they're not keeping him in the Western Conference.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
That may very well be the tact that the Pens take but, as McKenzie and others have noted, it may not work out the way they want if Staal refuses to sign any extension with a team he gets dealt to. If Staal wants to join his brother in Carolina or go to a team in the East, he can just play out the last year of his current contract with whomever the Pens deal him to in the West, then bolt in free agency to the team he wants. Any suitor - be it in the East or West - won't be as generous with their trade offer if there's a risk of losing Staal after just a year.

If the Pens and Staal somehow compromise on a shorter extension, one would think that Staal would ask for a NTC/NMC - thereby giving him control as well.
thanks for clarifying that free agents can sign whereever they want, and players with NMC/NTC have more control over there trade destination... im sure there were some that were unaware

as it stands... Staal is a pending free agent, without a NTC, and therefor is incredibly unlikely to be traded within the East

Old
06-01-2012, 12:18 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I like and want J. Staal ....

But, easily? Really? C'mon.
Yep. Easily. As Zips stats point out. Guy is a stud, watched him play all year.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Correct. That's why they should be pursuing the Poor Man's Jordan Staal, Joe Pavelski. If SJ ever entertained the idea of moving him--and I've stated over and over they'd be stupid to do so--they're not keeping him in the Western Conference.
But i can come up with the plausible scenario where Pitt trades Staal (cap space to keep the 2 franchise players, 1 yr left)... where as Pavelski is the player you build around in San Jose, while desperately trying to dump the 2 big failures. they've been adding around those 2 guys forever, and it hasn't worked... time to move them instead of the younger talent

Old
06-01-2012, 01:23 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Armia, McNabb, 12th overall
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?

I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???

On top of that I am sure the Penguins will want low cap hit proven players my guess os one winger and one centerman. They are not rebuilding they are in a win now mentality. Also Didnīt Jordan Staal play second line center? How many games did Crysby play?

Oh and what I would do is just wait a year until he becomes a UFA and I keep all my assets....you just lost your GM job Jame

Last edited by heartsabres*: 06-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote