HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Jordan Staal

Old
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?

I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???
You can't be serious?

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

My worry about Staal is the expectations...he is not the magical, mythical #1 that folks want. He is an elite #2 center though. People can argue about playing times and what not, but he simply is not, at this point in time, a bona fide #1 center.

I don't like the idea of selling the future for a #2 center, no matter how great he might be. If I'm putting Armia and McNabb in the same deal, I want a proven #1 center, and Staal doesn't do that for me.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If you want Staal, you probably have to give up Ennis or Hodgson, a 1st rounder, as well as a top prospect.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?

I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???
You make the deal with the expectation that you re-sign Staal.

And there is no way they get Malkin for that package.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
My worry about Staal is the expectations...he is not the magical, mythical #1 that folks want. He is an elite #2 center though. People can argue about playing times and what not, but he simply is not, at this point in time, a bona fide #1 center.

I don't like the idea of selling the future for a #2 center, no matter how great he might be. If I'm putting Armia and McNabb in the same deal, I want a proven #1 center, and Staal doesn't do that for me.
Do we really need a bonafide #1 center though? I would be more than happy having 3 centers who could put up 60 points, especially if one is a Selke caliber shutdown guy.

I belive the addition of Staal would put an end to all the talk of needing a for sure #1 guy. I will say I have no idea what I would give up for Staal, or what his value is at this point. It is a very interesting situation.

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
You make the deal with the expectation that you re-sign Staal.

And there is no way they get Malkin for that package.
Here is the deal...wait until he is a UFA and sign him losing no prospects.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
The downside there would be the Pens deal him somewhere else between now and then. Any team acquiring him isn't likely looking for a rental, but in signing him to an extension. He may not reach free agency. And if he does, who's to say he doesn't want to play with family (Rangers or Canes) as has been reported? Buffalo's play here would be acquire him now and spend this next year getting him extended.

That said, if they kick these tires, I'd rather they not put McNabb in the deal. They have no one with his skillset in the pipeline.

06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The downside there would be the Pens deal him somewhere else between now and then. Any team acquiring him isn't likely looking for a rental, but in signing him to an extension. He may not reach free agency. And if he does, who's to say he doesn't want to play with family (Rangers or Canes) as has been reported? Buffalo's play here would be acquire him now and spend this next year getting him extended.

That said, if they kick these tires, I'd rather they not put McNabb in the deal. They have no one with his skillset in the pipeline.

As a sabres fan I dont think it is worth the risk. There are other Centers out their that Buffalo could go after that do have longer contracts, cost less and fit into the system. The other option is if the Penguins keep him to approach the Penguins after Jan 1, to make a deal then they are able to negotiate a contract. Lets face it Buffalo is not a desirable place unlike Detroit or NY to play and I dont like the chances of locking up guys with one year left on their contract.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Do we really need a bonafide #1 center though? I would be more than happy having 3 centers who could put up 60 points, especially if one is a Selke caliber shutdown guy.

I belive the addition of Staal would put an end to all the talk of needing a for sure #1 guy. I will say I have no idea what I would give up for Staal, or what his value is at this point. It is a very interesting situation.
Havenīt we tried that already? This team needs a true number one center and a leader.

I would be happy with a guy like Marleau who wont cost as much trade wise for 3 or 4 years until we draft one that matures.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:13 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

We have 3 centers who can put up 60 points each even on the 3rd line? We had 2 players get 60 points (Barely) in Vanek and Pommers. None of these being a C, a number one center is NEEDED desperately.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I would put the odds on Staal hitting UFA anytime soon at less than 5%.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Havenīt we tried that already? This team needs a true number one center and a leader.

I would be happy with a guy like Marleau who wont cost as much trade wise for 3 or 4 years until we draft one that matures.
No way.

I'd much rather get Staal than Marleau. Plus, Marleau has a NMC. Good luck getting him to waive it to come to the Sabres.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I would put the odds on Staal hitting UFA anytime soon at less than 5%.
Not really relevant what the odds are, not relevant what you think. I deal with what is real. He is headed for UFA next year unless that changes that is what happens.

You probably gave Suter and Parise the same odds

What would you offer for Staal, maybe we can rip it apart.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
McTank

Quote:

On top of that I am sure the Penguins will want low cap hit proven players my guess os one winger and one centerman. They are not rebuilding they are in a win now mentality. Also Didnīt Jordan Staal play second line center? How many games did Crysby play?

Oh and what I would do is just wait a year until he becomes a UFA and I keep all my assets....you just lost your GM job Jame
LOL I cant wait till Jame sees this. The all mighty full proof ufa signing. Just like how we brought in richards last summer... Oh wait now we have ville leino

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'd replace Foligno, with Armia... and and replace the 21st with 12th and still do it

Armia, McNabb, 12th overall

that's kind of a monster offer...
(i would need some sort of assurance that Staal would sign an extension)
taking quotes out of context is punishable by death

trading a few prospects is not going to "destroy the sabres".

Quote:
On top of that I am sure the Penguins will want low cap hit proven players my guess os one winger and one centerman. They are not rebuilding they are in a win now mentality. Also Didnīt Jordan Staal play second line center? How many games did Crysby play?
Wow... so losing Armia, McNabb, 1st.... would "DESTROY the Sabres"... but wouldn't help Pittsburgh

Quote:
Oh and what I would do is just wait a year until he becomes a UFA and I keep all my assets....you just lost your GM job Jame
Good move... i bet that strategy works out similar to Brad Richards

Last edited by Chainshot: 06-01-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Hey. Cut it out.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

Labels. I hate them. #1 this, #2 that. Eff that. Acquiring Staal allows Hodgson and/or Ennis to be more properly deployed--higher amount of offensive zone starts--while giving us a guy who can shut down the best players in the league and can chip in points on his own. Would you rather have Brad Richards or Jordan Staal on this team right now? I know who I'm picking.

Quote:

Correct. The team can then deploy Ennis and Hodgson with a high amount of offensive-zone starts, while we can go strength-on-strength with Staal-Pominville, and have a checking line around Gerbe-UFA-Kaleta.

I don't even know what people are talking about anymore when they say "#1 center." What, someone who can score 80 pts with 60+% offensive zone starts? Is that guy more valuable than the guy who can score 60-65 pts with under 50% zone starts and can play against top lines every game? I don't think so.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
As a sabres fan I dont think it is worth the risk. There are other Centers out their that Buffalo could go after that do have longer contracts, cost less and fit into the system. The other option is if the Penguins keep him to approach the Penguins after Jan 1, to make a deal then they are able to negotiate a contract. Lets face it Buffalo is not a desirable place unlike Detroit or NY to play and I dont like the chances of locking up guys with one year left on their contract.
Name them...

Old
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

i bet you would

Old
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Labels. I hate them. #1 this, #2 that. Eff that. Acquiring Staal allows Hodgson and/or Ennis to be more properly deployed--higher amount of offensive zone starts--while giving us a guy who can shut down the best players in the league and can chip in points on his own. Would you rather have Brad Richards or Jordan Staal on this team right now? I know who I'm picking.

Correct. The team can then deploy Ennis and Hodgson with a high amount of offensive-zone starts, while we can go strength-on-strength with Staal-Pominville, and have a checking line around Gerbe-UFA-Kaleta.

I don't even know what people are talking about anymore when they say "#1 center." What, someone who can score 80 pts with 60+% offensive zone starts? Is that guy more valuable than the guy who can score 60-65 pts with under 50% zone starts and can play against top lines every game? I don't think so.
it's the "#1 defensemen" argument all over again... some people get it, some people don't

I'd take Staal and his shutdown ability w/ ~50 pts over "I'm a #1 center" Derek Roy, and his 70 pts EVERY DAY.

I'd take Patrice Bergeron over Nik Backstrom
I'd take Ryan Kesler over Pat Kane

Old
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Not really relevant what the odds are, not relevant what you think.

I deal with what is real. He is headed for UFA next year unless that changes that is what happens.

You probably gave Suter and Parise the same odds

What would you offer for Staal, maybe we can rip it apart.
"kick his ass, seabass"

Old
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
I'd replace Foligno, with Armia... and and replace the 21st with 12th and still do it

Armia, McNabb, 12th overall

that's kind of a monster offer...
(i would need some sort of assurance that Staal would sign an extension)
So how does that work? The same way like with Drury? You cant negotiate until January 1st. Thought you knew everything?
This is virtual impossible and the fact that you are like a little kid making up your own rules is funny.

Also what happened to the quote where scarygood guys says he cant wait until Jame comes in and reads my posts? Seriously? Is that what passes in Forums these days? Guys chanting while the bully makes stuff up? Sweet!

Old
06-01-2012, 03:27 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
"kick his ass, seabass"
To be honest you are probably the worst poster in here
Hey lets trade Roy for nothing its addition by subtraction!
Hey lets build our defence around Sekera hes the best!
Hey lets trade a few little prospects, ony the best we have for a second line center that will likely leave at the end of the year
Hey toot toot toot

Old
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
it's the "#1 defensemen" argument all over again... some people get it, some people don't

I'd take Staal and his shutdown ability w/ ~50 pts over "I'm a #1 center" Derek Roy, and his 70 pts EVERY DAY.

I'd take Patrice Bergeron over Nik Backstrom
I'd take Ryan Kesler over Pat Kane
Patrice over Backstrom? You crazy. PPG player over career, explosive. Top 15 player in the game IMO. Kesler played horrible last year, Kane is still better.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
So how does that work? The same way like with Drury?
This is virtual impossible and the fact that you are like a little kid making up your own rules is funny.

Also what happened to the quote where scarygood guys says he cant wait until Jame comes in and reads my posts? Seriously? Is that what passes in Forums these days? Guys chanting while the bully makes stuff up? Sweet!
They negotiate a contract extension. The NHL CBA permits contract extensions to be signed DURING the final year of a contract.

If Pittsburgh is in fact shopping him, they could give his agent permission to discuss an extension with another team (they could also DENY such a request as Dallas did with Brad Richards)

Class dismissed

Old
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Patrice over Backstrom? You crazy. PPG player over career, explosive. Top 15 player in the game IMO. Kesler played horrible last year, Kane is still better.
exactly... i come from a different perspective