HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Jordan Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
  #351
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?

I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???
You can't be serious?

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
  #352
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,424
vCash: 500
My worry about Staal is the expectations...he is not the magical, mythical #1 that folks want. He is an elite #2 center though. People can argue about playing times and what not, but he simply is not, at this point in time, a bona fide #1 center.

I don't like the idea of selling the future for a #2 center, no matter how great he might be. If I'm putting Armia and McNabb in the same deal, I want a proven #1 center, and Staal doesn't do that for me.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
  #353
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,801
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If you want Staal, you probably have to give up Ennis or Hodgson, a 1st rounder, as well as a top prospect.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
  #354
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?

I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???
You make the deal with the expectation that you re-sign Staal.

And there is no way they get Malkin for that package.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
  #355
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!
 
Fly Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
My worry about Staal is the expectations...he is not the magical, mythical #1 that folks want. He is an elite #2 center though. People can argue about playing times and what not, but he simply is not, at this point in time, a bona fide #1 center.

I don't like the idea of selling the future for a #2 center, no matter how great he might be. If I'm putting Armia and McNabb in the same deal, I want a proven #1 center, and Staal doesn't do that for me.
Do we really need a bonafide #1 center though? I would be more than happy having 3 centers who could put up 60 points, especially if one is a Selke caliber shutdown guy.

I belive the addition of Staal would put an end to all the talk of needing a for sure #1 guy. I will say I have no idea what I would give up for Staal, or what his value is at this point. It is a very interesting situation.

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
  #356
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
You make the deal with the expectation that you re-sign Staal.

And there is no way they get Malkin for that package.
Here is the deal...wait until he is a UFA and sign him losing no prospects.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
  #357
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,608
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Here is the deal...wait until he is a UFA and sign him losing no prospects.
The downside there would be the Pens deal him somewhere else between now and then. Any team acquiring him isn't likely looking for a rental, but in signing him to an extension. He may not reach free agency. And if he does, who's to say he doesn't want to play with family (Rangers or Canes) as has been reported? Buffalo's play here would be acquire him now and spend this next year getting him extended.

That said, if they kick these tires, I'd rather they not put McNabb in the deal. They have no one with his skillset in the pipeline.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
  #358
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The downside there would be the Pens deal him somewhere else between now and then. Any team acquiring him isn't likely looking for a rental, but in signing him to an extension. He may not reach free agency. And if he does, who's to say he doesn't want to play with family (Rangers or Canes) as has been reported? Buffalo's play here would be acquire him now and spend this next year getting him extended.

That said, if they kick these tires, I'd rather they not put McNabb in the deal. They have no one with his skillset in the pipeline.

As a sabres fan I dont think it is worth the risk. There are other Centers out their that Buffalo could go after that do have longer contracts, cost less and fit into the system. The other option is if the Penguins keep him to approach the Penguins after Jan 1, to make a deal then they are able to negotiate a contract. Lets face it Buffalo is not a desirable place unlike Detroit or NY to play and I dont like the chances of locking up guys with one year left on their contract.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
  #359
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Do we really need a bonafide #1 center though? I would be more than happy having 3 centers who could put up 60 points, especially if one is a Selke caliber shutdown guy.

I belive the addition of Staal would put an end to all the talk of needing a for sure #1 guy. I will say I have no idea what I would give up for Staal, or what his value is at this point. It is a very interesting situation.
Havenīt we tried that already? This team needs a true number one center and a leader.

I would be happy with a guy like Marleau who wont cost as much trade wise for 3 or 4 years until we draft one that matures.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:13 PM
  #360
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Do we really need a bonafide #1 center though? I would be more than happy having 3 centers who could put up 60 points, especially if one is a Selke caliber shutdown guy.

I belive the addition of Staal would put an end to all the talk of needing a for sure #1 guy. I will say I have no idea what I would give up for Staal, or what his value is at this point. It is a very interesting situation.
We have 3 centers who can put up 60 points each even on the 3rd line? We had 2 players get 60 points (Barely) in Vanek and Pommers. None of these being a C, a number one center is NEEDED desperately.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
  #361
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Here is the deal...wait until he is a UFA and sign him losing no prospects.
I would put the odds on Staal hitting UFA anytime soon at less than 5%.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
  #362
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Havenīt we tried that already? This team needs a true number one center and a leader.

I would be happy with a guy like Marleau who wont cost as much trade wise for 3 or 4 years until we draft one that matures.
No way.

I'd much rather get Staal than Marleau. Plus, Marleau has a NMC. Good luck getting him to waive it to come to the Sabres.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
  #363
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I would put the odds on Staal hitting UFA anytime soon at less than 5%.
Not really relevant what the odds are, not relevant what you think. I deal with what is real. He is headed for UFA next year unless that changes that is what happens.

You probably gave Suter and Parise the same odds

What would you offer for Staal, maybe we can rip it apart.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
  #364
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?

I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???

On top of that I am sure the Penguins will want low cap hit proven players my guess os one winger and one centerman. They are not rebuilding they are in a win now mentality. Also Didnīt Jordan Staal play second line center? How many games did Crysby play?

Oh and what I would do is just wait a year until he becomes a UFA and I keep all my assets....you just lost your GM job Jame
LOL I cant wait till Jame sees this. The all mighty full proof ufa signing. Just like how we brought in richards last summer... Oh wait now we have ville leino

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  #365
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
The sabres best defensive prospect, the sabres best offensive prospect and our top draft choice - one year of staal. Could probably almost land Malkin with that package. Throw your players away much?


I would not understand but this is what you would give up for one year of staal. OMG Do you want to destroy the sabres or just have us laughed at???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'd replace Foligno, with Armia... and and replace the 21st with 12th and still do it

Armia, McNabb, 12th overall

that's kind of a monster offer...
(i would need some sort of assurance that Staal would sign an extension)
taking quotes out of context is punishable by death

trading a few prospects is not going to "destroy the sabres".

Quote:
On top of that I am sure the Penguins will want low cap hit proven players my guess os one winger and one centerman. They are not rebuilding they are in a win now mentality. Also Didnīt Jordan Staal play second line center? How many games did Crysby play?
Wow... so losing Armia, McNabb, 1st.... would "DESTROY the Sabres"... but wouldn't help Pittsburgh



Quote:
Oh and what I would do is just wait a year until he becomes a UFA and I keep all my assets....you just lost your GM job Jame
Good move... i bet that strategy works out similar to Brad Richards


Last edited by Chainshot: 06-01-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Hey. Cut it out.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
  #366
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,144
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
My worry about Staal is the expectations...he is not the magical, mythical #1 that folks want. He is an elite #2 center though. People can argue about playing times and what not, but he simply is not, at this point in time, a bona fide #1 center.

I don't like the idea of selling the future for a #2 center, no matter how great he might be. If I'm putting Armia and McNabb in the same deal, I want a proven #1 center, and Staal doesn't do that for me.
Labels. I hate them. #1 this, #2 that. Eff that. Acquiring Staal allows Hodgson and/or Ennis to be more properly deployed--higher amount of offensive zone starts--while giving us a guy who can shut down the best players in the league and can chip in points on his own. Would you rather have Brad Richards or Jordan Staal on this team right now? I know who I'm picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Do we really need a bonafide #1 center though? I would be more than happy having 3 centers who could put up 60 points, especially if one is a Selke caliber shutdown guy.

I belive the addition of Staal would put an end to all the talk of needing a for sure #1 guy. I will say I have no idea what I would give up for Staal, or what his value is at this point. It is a very interesting situation.
Correct. The team can then deploy Ennis and Hodgson with a high amount of offensive-zone starts, while we can go strength-on-strength with Staal-Pominville, and have a checking line around Gerbe-UFA-Kaleta.

I don't even know what people are talking about anymore when they say "#1 center." What, someone who can score 80 pts with 60+% offensive zone starts? Is that guy more valuable than the guy who can score 60-65 pts with under 50% zone starts and can play against top lines every game? I don't think so.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
  #367
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
As a sabres fan I dont think it is worth the risk. There are other Centers out their that Buffalo could go after that do have longer contracts, cost less and fit into the system. The other option is if the Penguins keep him to approach the Penguins after Jan 1, to make a deal then they are able to negotiate a contract. Lets face it Buffalo is not a desirable place unlike Detroit or NY to play and I dont like the chances of locking up guys with one year left on their contract.
Name them...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
  #368
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Havenīt we tried that already? This team needs a true number one center and a leader.

I would be happy with a guy like Marleau who wont cost as much trade wise for 3 or 4 years until we draft one that matures.
i bet you would

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
  #369
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Labels. I hate them. #1 this, #2 that. Eff that. Acquiring Staal allows Hodgson and/or Ennis to be more properly deployed--higher amount of offensive zone starts--while giving us a guy who can shut down the best players in the league and can chip in points on his own. Would you rather have Brad Richards or Jordan Staal on this team right now? I know who I'm picking.



Correct. The team can then deploy Ennis and Hodgson with a high amount of offensive-zone starts, while we can go strength-on-strength with Staal-Pominville, and have a checking line around Gerbe-UFA-Kaleta.

I don't even know what people are talking about anymore when they say "#1 center." What, someone who can score 80 pts with 60+% offensive zone starts? Is that guy more valuable than the guy who can score 60-65 pts with under 50% zone starts and can play against top lines every game? I don't think so.
it's the "#1 defensemen" argument all over again... some people get it, some people don't

I'd take Staal and his shutdown ability w/ ~50 pts over "I'm a #1 center" Derek Roy, and his 70 pts EVERY DAY.

I'd take Patrice Bergeron over Nik Backstrom
I'd take Ryan Kesler over Pat Kane

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
  #370
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Not really relevant what the odds are, not relevant what you think.

I deal with what is real. He is headed for UFA next year unless that changes that is what happens.

You probably gave Suter and Parise the same odds

What would you offer for Staal, maybe we can rip it apart.
"kick his ass, seabass"

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
  #371
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
I'd replace Foligno, with Armia... and and replace the 21st with 12th and still do it

Armia, McNabb, 12th overall

that's kind of a monster offer...
(i would need some sort of assurance that Staal would sign an extension)
So how does that work? The same way like with Drury? You cant negotiate until January 1st. Thought you knew everything?
This is virtual impossible and the fact that you are like a little kid making up your own rules is funny.

Also what happened to the quote where scarygood guys says he cant wait until Jame comes in and reads my posts? Seriously? Is that what passes in Forums these days? Guys chanting while the bully makes stuff up? Sweet!

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:27 PM
  #372
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
"kick his ass, seabass"
To be honest you are probably the worst poster in here
Hey lets trade Roy for nothing its addition by subtraction!
Hey lets build our defence around Sekera hes the best!
Hey lets trade a few little prospects, ony the best we have for a second line center that will likely leave at the end of the year
Hey toot toot toot

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
  #373
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's the "#1 defensemen" argument all over again... some people get it, some people don't

I'd take Staal and his shutdown ability w/ ~50 pts over "I'm a #1 center" Derek Roy, and his 70 pts EVERY DAY.

I'd take Patrice Bergeron over Nik Backstrom
I'd take Ryan Kesler over Pat Kane
Patrice over Backstrom? You crazy. PPG player over career, explosive. Top 15 player in the game IMO. Kesler played horrible last year, Kane is still better.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
  #374
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
So how does that work? The same way like with Drury?
This is virtual impossible and the fact that you are like a little kid making up your own rules is funny.

Also what happened to the quote where scarygood guys says he cant wait until Jame comes in and reads my posts? Seriously? Is that what passes in Forums these days? Guys chanting while the bully makes stuff up? Sweet!
They negotiate a contract extension. The NHL CBA permits contract extensions to be signed DURING the final year of a contract.

If Pittsburgh is in fact shopping him, they could give his agent permission to discuss an extension with another team (they could also DENY such a request as Dallas did with Brad Richards)

Class dismissed

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
  #375
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Patrice over Backstrom? You crazy. PPG player over career, explosive. Top 15 player in the game IMO. Kesler played horrible last year, Kane is still better.
exactly... i come from a different perspective

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.