HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Jordan Staal

Old
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Zip15

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Added to Zip's post:

Bob McKenzie ‏
Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn't a Penguin -- not suggesting he's not -- a Cane seems logical.

I don't see what they would even give up to get Jordan before he's a free agent.
I'd imagine Pittsburgh would want Sutter in an effort to fill that 3C spot behind Crosby and Malkin. Beyond that, I wonder if they'd ask for the #8 pick if they did it this summer? Ruutu? Tough to gauge value if he really is dead-set on leaving, and we don't know the answer to that.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Haven't read this whole thread, so if this has already been posted (sorry) .....

from FB
http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/the-s...-jordan-staal/

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Haven't read this whole thread, so if this has already been posted (sorry) .....

from FB
I feel like that writer surveyed this thread for all of his material.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy made a pitch for Staal. I would be surprised, however, if he lands him.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
LGB24

Quote:

from FB
He quotes Garth from HockeyBuzz...yikes

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:41 PM
McTank

Quote:

from FB
Nothing new here, its becoming a pretty big rumor that staal very well could be moved this summer, that has me qute excited

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Luceni

I'd much rather keep Roy and try to get Parise, Suter or Brown instead of selling the farm to the Pens for Staal. Besides I don't think Staal is the solution of our problem. If I would trade for a center, I would try to land Getzlaf. His price pretty low at the moment because of the bad season he has had and thats why I would love to see us trading for him. He is just the physical first line center we need with elite skills. But I doubt that too.

Thats why I think we're pretty much set for the next year down the middle, with Ennis, Hodgson, Roy, Adam, and Hecht (yes, I gues he will get a one year extension and I'm ok with it, as long as he plays on the 4th line)

If we could sign Parise and Suter then we're going to be a contender for sure.

The only ONE I want to see gone as soon as possible is Ruff. His time is over, he has had enough time in Buffalo and he didn't win a Stanly Cup here in 12 years.

Vanek - Hodgson - Parise
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Roy - Pominville
Gerbe - Hecht/Adam - Kaleta/Tropp

Regehr - Myers
Sekera - Suter
Leopold - Erhoff
McNabb, Weber, Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

If a deal including Pominville could get us Dustin Brown and a solid Prospect/pick I would possible pull the trigger. Pominvilles price will never be that high again; Sell the guy when his price is high to get a good reward. Then I would Brown put on that 3rd line RW spot and we get much tougher to play against.

Just stay away from staal. He is just expensive and brings not much mor to the table than Derek Roy.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'd much rather keep Roy and try to get Parise, Suter or Brown instead of selling the farm to the Pens for Staal. Besides I don't think Staal is the solution of our problem. If I would trade for a center, I would try to land Getzlaf. His price pretty low at the moment because of the bad season he has had and thats why I would love to see us trading for him. He is just the physical first line center we need with elite skills. But I doubt that too.

Thats why I think we're pretty much set for the next year down the middle, with Ennis, Hodgson, Roy, Adam, and Hecht (yes, I gues he will get a one year extension and I'm ok with it, as long as he plays on the 4th line)

The only ONE I want to see gone as soon as possible is Ruff. His time is over, he has had enough time in Buffalo and he didn't win a Stanly Cup here in 12 years.

Vanek - Hodgson - Parise
Leino - Roy - Pominville

Regehr - Myers
Sekera - Suter
Leopold - Erhoff
McNabb, Weber, Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

If a deal including Pominville could get us Dustin Brown and a solid Prospect/pick I would possible pull the trigger. Pominvilles price will never be that high again; Sell the guy when his price is high to get a good reward. Then I would Brown put on that 3rd line RW spot and we get much tougher to play against.

Just stay away from staal. He is just expensive and brings not much mor to the table than Derek Roy.
Just some thoughts on SOME points you make:

selling the farm to the Pens for Staal. Besides I don't think Staal is the solution of our problem
I don't think Darcy is so clueless that he's gonna "sell the farm" for a player to have for one year? Sure me might fetch more than some people think, but He's also gonna fetch less than what MOST people think. As far as a solution: Proven faceoff guy, Size, Good PK and PP skills, Responsible in defensive zone, proven top 6 Center. Where our problems are: No top 6 centers that can win faceoffs, Small players down the middle, terrible PP, Offensive-Zone minded Centers, Besides Roy no PROVEN top 6 centers.

If I would trade for a center, I would try to land Getzlaf. His price pretty low at the moment because of the bad season he has had and thats why I would love to see us trading for him.
The amount of Pieces needed to pry Getzlaf away Anaheim on a team that HE is their #1 Center would not be worth it for one year regardless how bad he played.
My issue with this is that the only player different than what the lineup down the middle is CoHo in "place" of Gaustad. Ennis, he hasn't shown he's capable of handling Center duties for a full year. I'm not saying he's gonna fail, but if he gets moved to wing, The center depth meets the same amount as this past season. Adam, outside of playing with the two best scorers, hasn't shown he can handle the responsibility in the Offensive zone let alone the defensive zone. Hecht is as Fragile as the lamp in A Christmas Story. I think he will either retire or go overseas.

I agree Ruff needs to go, but I don't think he is the ONLY reason why we faulter. There are pieces above him and on the roster that have as much a thumb print on the team's success and failure as he does.

As for as your lineup, That lineup, though a little better, doesn't answer something we are missing. A grittier top 6. As for Myers and Regehr, I think we have sailed past the idea of Myers playing with his idol. We need to get better in our own end on the backend. Our Defense needs to get better in coverage and on the physical end. You don't need to have a ton PMD's on defense in the league anymore. Though it helps to have PMD's I think ours are too soft in our zone. I think we need to look at trading off Sekera for an upgrade back there even it means we just get picks. If we did get picks we open up some more room to target Suter.

But hey remember, this is my opinion.

Last edited by OkimLom: 05-02-2012 at 11:04 AM.
OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
dkollidas

I think Regier will definitely be in play for Staal if in fact the Pens deal him. I believe he'll use Roy or Vanek in that effort, especially with their current relationship with Ruff and seeing that Ruff would, I believe, love to have a guy like Staal on a line with Pominville, big, young, defensively sound with offensive upside and doesn't let his offense take away from his defense, but rather uses his defense to create offense. I still think something around Vanek/Leopold/Nashville's 1st for Staal/Martin could work. Vanek is s eighty and could play with Crosby and Kunitz, moving Dupuis onto a line with Neal and Malkin, put Kennedy back at center on the 3rd line, and a 4th line centered by Jeffery. Vanek and Malkin are both up In a couple years and Pittsburgh could then renegotiate an extension for a cheaper amount ($5M/yr cap hit or something like that), while Crosby will likely stay around where he's at cap wise, which will put a limit on Malkin's contract, also they'd be done with Martin's contract, and Leopold becoming a UFA after next season saves cap and allows one of their developing defensemen a chance at a roster spot. Gives Buffalo a very good center and allows the Sabres to move Roy for help on the wing.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

Vanek - Hodgson - Parise
Leino - Roy - Pominville

Regehr - Myers
Sekera - Suter
Leopold - Erhoff
McNabb, Weber, Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

In what world can Buffalo afford Parise without moving salary out?

As for your very last statement, Roy is not on the same level as Staal. Not at all. Staal embodies what this team lacks.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
In what world can Buffalo afford Parise without moving salary out?

As for your very last statement, Roy is not on the same level as Staal. Not at all. Staal embodies what this team lacks.
Yep, he is the center this team desperately needs. Big, strong, elite two way play, physical. He is #1 on my wanted list if he's available. I would give up the farm for the guy if I knew he was going to re-sign.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
punkr0x

I'm concerned about Staal's injuries over the past couple of seasons. Both are freak injuries that could happen to anyone but he's missed a total of 60 games over 2 years. I think he's a great player who could help any team, but his value is so high that someone is going to overpay for him. The Sabres are starting to achieve some decent depth at center with Hodgson, Ennis and Roy, so I don't see a real need to overpay for Staal. I would like to see us add a defensively responsible center, possibly by moving out Roy, but I think the competition for Staal is going to drive the price too high.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
LGB24

Quote:

Vanek - Hodgson - Parise
Leino - Roy - Pominville

Regehr - Myers
Sekera - Suter
Leopold - Erhoff
McNabb, Weber, Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

LOL

That is all

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Ah yes Staal's elite two way play... If you consider >50 points / season elite

He is a def. Center who averages under 50 points, what a true franchise center

Grass is always greener when it comes to Buffalo fans, unless it comes to the head coach

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:53 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think Staal's offense is underrated and his defense is overrated.

He'd be a 65 point player here without much effort to get him scoring, but I don't think he's in the same stratosphere as Backes, Bergeron or even Hanzal as a shut down forward, even if he does have that Selke nom.

I also don't think we have the assets to get him while making our team better. Any deal that gets Jordan here opens up holes that we'd struggle to fill unless the Penguins inexplicably really, really like Stafford.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I also don't think we have the assets to get him while making our team better. Any deal that gets Jordan here opens up holes that we'd struggle to fill unless the Penguins inexplicably really, really like Stafford.
Short of trading Miller, I think you can fill any holes you create acquiring Staal. But more importantly by trading for and ultimately extending Staal, along with Ennis and Hodgson, you've solidified the center position for the next 5 years. I'm willing to risk holes in other areas to lock down the pivot situation for the next half decade and beyond.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

Grass is always greener when it comes to Buffalo fans, unless it comes to the head coach
And your claim in a separate thread that Derek Roy was a franchise center two years ago held so much more weight.

Staal's not a franchise center (at this point in time). But he is exactly the kind of player that this franchise lacks.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

judging on points is pointless...

is there any other team in the league that has TWO elite franchise centermen, and then a #2 overall pick who has played behind them as a checking line center for most of his career?

the only measurement of Staal is the observation of how he plays the game on the ice. if you observe staal, you should recognize that he has already developed every single skill/talent you would want out of a franchise center.

There are no holes in his game.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
McTank

He got 50 points in 60 games on a shutdown line... Hes elite offensively and defensively

Old
05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Making up points and then mocking them with emoticons doesn't really constitute a conversation. "Grass is always greener" because Jordan Staal is exactly what the top 9 needs: size, physicality, two-way center.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Making up points and then mocking them with emoticons doesn't really constitute a conversation. "Grass is always greener" because Jordan Staal is exactly what the top 9 needs: size, physicality, two-way center.
Lol, he fails to mention anything about Staal's defensive play. Also fails to point out that he scored 50 in 62 games. Also fails to mention that Staal is 23 years old. Also fails to mention he immediately becomes our best PK'er and will be able to take huge minutes.

I tend to ignore what he says. You should too.

He's no offensive dynamo. But he'd easily become our best center. I think there is plenty of offensive potential to milk out of him.

Last edited by Stop Winnin: 05-02-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:06 PM
McTank

I seriously think staals offense is under rated, by the time hes 30 I think he will have had multiple 80 point seasons

Old
05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I seriously think staals offense is under rated, by the time hes 30 I think he will have had multiple 80 point seasons
Maybe if they cut goalies gear by 30% and make the nets bigger. His vision is Gaustadish. His ability to befuddled and surprise top tier checking lines and defenses is maybe Luciclike at best. The kid can play, he comes up big in big games but I think 60 points as a 2nd line center is really rather accurate.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Maybe if they cut goalies gear by 30% and make the nets bigger. His vision is Gaustadish. His ability to befuddled and surprise top tier checking lines and defenses is maybe Luciclike at best. The kid can play, he comes up big in big games but I think 60 points as a 2nd line center is really rather accurate.
You live in Pittsburgh and your evaluation of Staal could not be more off. Staal's vision is now near "Gaustadish" unless you're talking about defensive zone coverage but I still think he's better defensively then Gaustad.

With that said, I could see him getting one 80 point season as a career year but i think he's closer to a 60-70 pt guy.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:28 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Lol, he fails to mention anything about Staal's defensive play. Also fails to point out that he scored 50 in 62 games. Also fails to mention that Staal is 23 years old. Also fails to mention he immediately becomes our best PK'er and will be able to take huge minutes.

I tend to ignore what he says. You should too.

He's no offensive dynamo. But he'd easily become our best center. I think there is plenty of offensive potential to milk out of him.
Funny, I tend to use the ignore feature too

Staal would be a very nice asset going forward. Sending Roy elsewhere would be a very nice thing too.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
He was on like a 65 point pace this year and hes only 23...