HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Planning Honeymoon in Vancouver

Old
10-05-2012, 05:58 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Vancouver is a very popular place for honeymoons. Usually in July and August though. Definitely hard to beat this place in the summer.
I don't know. Maybe I'm biased because I live here but Vancouver seems much more of a living place than a honeymoon place. For the same price I would much rather go to Cancun to a 4 or 5 star for a week. But again, that could just be my preferences.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkins View Post
Weather sucks in Vancouver from October-April.
Try growing up in Ontario—Vancouver's Oct-Apr is paradise in comparison.

Last edited by 14s incisor: 10-06-2012 at 02:35 AM.
14s incisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:34 AM
dtones520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Bump.....Well it seems like October was a good month to go. I can't remember a September and October as sunny as this.
Yeah, no kidding. You guys had me worried. We just got in on Sunday and the weather has been absolutely gorgeous. Looks like the rain will be getting here just in time for us to leave.

We ended up staying at the PanPacific our first 3 nights and have a room with a gorgeous view of the harbor and northside mountains. Did a bike ride at Stanley park yesterday and went to Capilano today. I didn't realize yesterday was Thanksgiving, so the city was like a ghost town a lot of the day.

So far we have eaten breakfast at Scoozis twice, great meals and service both times. Lunch today at Meat and Bread, Porchetta is awesome. And Prestons,which had awesome poutine and drinks, and Rain City grill, which was really, really good.

I can't believe how clean he city is, it blows me away and people are very friendly and helpful. We are going to Vctoria for a 24 hour trip tomorrow, any suggestions?

dtones520 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:28 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
Yeah, no kidding. You guys had me worried. We just got in on Sunday and the weather has been absolutely gorgeous. Looks like the rain will be getting here just in time for us to leave.

We ended up staying at the PanPacific our first 3 nights and have a room with a gorgeous view of the harbor and northside mountains. Did a bike ride at Stanley park yesterday and went to Capilano today. I didn't realize yesterday was Thanksgiving, so the city was like a ghost town a lot of the day.

So far we have eaten breakfast at Scoozis twice, great meals and service both times. Lunch today at Meat and Bread, Porchetta is awesome. And Prestons,which had awesome poutine and drinks, and Rain City grill, which was really, really good.

I can't believe how clean he city is, it blows me away and people are very friendly and helpful. We are going to Vctoria for a 24 hour trip tomorrow, any suggestions?
Butchart Gardens, just outside of Victoria, is amazing.
http://www.butchartgardens.com/index...tpage&Itemid=1

The Royal BC Museum is decent.
http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

Tea at the Empress hotel.
http://www.fairmont.com/empress-vict.../afternoontea/

Glad you are enjoying your stay here on the surprisingly sunny west coast. Hope you get some whales on your way to Victoria.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:03 AM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
1. Spend the ferry ride outside or near a window. Fantastic scenery, you'll weave right through some beautiful islands.

2. Try the Victoria beer! We have some really fantastic breweries here if you're into beer. Can't really go wrong with any of Phillips, Driftwood, Lighthouse, Van Isle, Hoyne or the brewpubs like Swan's and Spinnaker's!

3. Walk around the inner harbour, it's just a fantastic place for a stroll.

4. Dress warm!

Have fun and hope you enjoy my home city

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:05 AM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Seconded.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
If I could do three things in Vic:

- Royal BC Museum
- A walk of downtown Victoria
- Tea at the Empress. As others have said, it's quite the experience.

Johnny LaRue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
StringerBell

Quote:

Some popular activities:

Royal BC Museum (IMAX too)
Butchart Gardens
Tea at the Empress
Miniature World
Undersea Gardens (bit of a ripoff IMO, unless that's what you're into)
Victoria Bug Zoo

It really depends what you're interested in, but the most unique and memorable experience would probably be Tea at the Empress. It's quite pricey (can't remember the exact cost) but something different for sure.

In all honesty if I was to spend a day in Victoria I think I would spend most of it walking around, weather providing. The downtown area is very small and quite beautiful on a sunny day. Maybe grab some icecream from Oh Gelato and see the harbour, the parliament buildings, and Beacon Hill Park (about 10 minutes walking from downtown).

On a bright and sunny day you really can't beat the Dallas Road dog park. You get there by walking all the way south through Beacon Hill Park (about 15-20 minutes total) and it's right next to the beach with a stunning view. It looks out over the Juan de Fuca Straight towards Washington and you get the Olympic Mountains in the backround. Due to the friendly owners and exuberant dogs, my friends and I like to call it the happiest place in the world haha. It is a good 20-25 minutes away from downtown however, so walking the roundtrip would take up about 1.5 hours of your time. If you do decide to go there I would recommend walking there through the park and paying maybe $5 or so to cab back downtown.

Food:

- Pagliacci's is a great Italian restaurant right downtown (southside of mall)

- Noodle Box is a trendy Asian noodle bar with great dishes and large portions that can be taken to go, and enjoyed in the harbour 2 minutes away.

- Tapas Bar can be be a fun experience and has a wide variety of delicious food.

- Japanese Village is also great. One of those Japanese restaurants where the chef cooks your food in front of you and puts on a show while doing it.

- The Local Kitchen is a great patio experience if you can get a seat. Looks right over the water and has pretty good food.

- I'm not a Seafood guy, but if that's what you're looking for I have heard Pescatores just can't be beat.

I hope you enjoy your day out here!

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

In Vic, lunch at Rebar for something with a local feel. I might be a bit late with this. Overall, Victoria is a bit dull but worth a day. I hope you flew over.

And so you know, we cleaned up just for you.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I don't know. Maybe I'm biased because I live here but Vancouver seems much more of a living place than a honeymoon place. For the same price I would much rather go to Cancun to a 4 or 5 star for a week. But again, that could just be my preferences.
People who grow up here generally take it for granted and when they leave, because of how expensive it is, they usually crap on it saying the weather is bad, too expensive and too many crack heads. Not to many cities have this back drop and cleanliness. I'll never take it for granted. As for a honeymoon, I'd rather be in a romantic city.

Nuck This is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:03 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
1. Spend the ferry ride outside or near a window. Fantastic scenery, you'll weave right through some beautiful islands.

2. Try the Victoria beer! We have some really fantastic breweries here if you're into beer. Can't really go wrong with any of Phillips, Driftwood, Lighthouse, Van Isle, Hoyne or the brewpubs like Swan's and Spinnaker's!

3. Walk around the inner harbour, it's just a fantastic place for a stroll.

4. Dress warm!

Have fun and hope you enjoy my home city
Forgot about Swans, jug specials on Wednesdays!!

Old
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
If I could do three things in Vic:

- Royal BC Museum
- A walk of downtown Victoria
- Tea at the Empress. As others have said, it's quite the experience.
OP said they're getting married. Not retiring.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
LongRoad

Honestly I'd recommend renting a convertible or scooters if the weather is nice and driving around Dallas Road, through to Oak Bay, and then popping up to Craigdarroch Castle and Government House.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Bitz and Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad View Post
Honestly I'd recommend renting a convertible or scooters if the weather is nice and driving around Dallas Road, through to Oak Bay, and then popping up to Craigdarroch Castle and Government House.
Craigdarroch Castle is extremly cool especially on a day like today where the fog gives it a real ghostly vibe.If you find yourself downtown tomorrow and it's still foggy,that would be my first suggestion.It's about a 15 minute somewhat uphill walk from downtown or you could catch a transit bus for $2.50 if you're not feeling all that energetic.If it clears up later then hit downtown or Dallas Rd waterfront and soak up the views.

If you're ovenighting and driving back to the ferries the day after,it's well worth the extra time to visit the Butchart Gardens which are out by Brentwood bay which is about half way beetween downtown Victoria and the Ferry terminal.

Bitz and Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 01:33 AM
dtones520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
People who grow up here generally take it for granted and when they leave, because of how expensive it is, they usually crap on it saying the weather is bad, too expensive and too many crack heads. Not to many cities have this back drop and cleanliness. I'll never take it for granted. As for a honeymoon, I'd rather be in a romantic city.
See, I live in Michigan, which is generally flat and undiverse. Vancouver is the complete opposite. Mountains, gorgeous scenery, incredibly diverse, clean, the people are generally friendly and wiling to give you directions. It is pretty expensive though, but I knew that going in. Romance can be had anywhere it just needs to be made. And if you want to see crackheads go to Detroit or Flint. I've seen two bums looking for change in Vancouver and one in Victoria that is about a 6 foot piece of sidewalk in Detroit.

Long story short, from an outsider, Vancouver is one of, if not the, nicest big cities I've ever been to.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:38 AM
dtones520

Also, Victoria wasn't a bad little day trip so far. It was pretty foggy on the ferry ride this morning, but still got some nice views of the islands and coast. Saw a few seals, was hoping for some whales. We had lunch at Bon Rogue on Courtney and that was pretty good, did Tea at the Empress (we are staying there, had to do it, but too expensive), wandered around downtown and had dinner at the Local, which was playing the Tigers blown chance at a series win.

Going to try and do Butchart tomorrow before we hope back on the Ferry. I'm glad we are only here for a day though, hopefully the ferry ride back is less foggy to get some better views. Finishing up our trip by staying at Opus, looks like the rain is going to roll in on Friday, just in time for us to leave Saturday morning!

Old
10-11-2012, 10:06 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Going to try and do Butchart tomorrow before we hope back on the Ferry. I'm glad we are only here for a day though, hopefully the ferry ride back is less foggy to get some better views. Finishing up our trip by staying at Opus, looks like the rain is going to roll in on Friday, just in time for us to leave Saturday morning!
Finally some rain and a real Vancouver experience.

Bluewater Cafe is near Opus, it's expensive but worth it if thats your thing. Yaletown Brewery is close too, decent beer. Lots of great dining options in Yaletown, from Phat for lunch to lots of overpriced options that serve great food. I could tell you what was cool last weekend, but that may have already changed.

I'm sure everyone will have a different favourite overpriced place, but I'd go with Il Giardino.

Or Vij's if you don't mind waiting. It's worth the wait and it is a Vancouver destination. Do not let some suburbanite try and tell you Rangoli, they've likely never been to either.

And a left field option(s): Alibi Room or St Augy for great West Coast beer lists. Alibi is cooler, Augy has TVs and can be accessed easily by Skytrain.