HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Greiss is Always Greener" (Off-Season Speculation Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Wont argue with you on that one, if Sutter wants to sign here you make it happen whatever it takes. I just don't see it, and if it's not Sutter I'd rather stand pat with the exception of Stuart in, Murray out.
Of course, it's tough to see. Marquee free agents haven't signed here and the only one who came close was Scott Niedermayer. I wouldn't be upset at just moving out Murray for Stuart but I wouldn't be against making the tough decision to part with Boyle even with what he means to this team if it is a very good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
It has little to no chance of happening, but I agree.
So you're saying there's a chance?

Old
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Sharksfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Someone mentioned Jason Garrison, I really think we should go after him. Underrated D-man, scored 16 goals, and pretty sound defensively. Probably won't be too expensive, around 3.5 mil, 3 years should do the trick.
I think you'll be very surprised as to what he gets on the market. Probably looking at 4.5-5 mil.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Move Murray out, bring in a guy like Stuart, and that's all we need on the blueline. Burns improved defensively dramatically over the course of the season, as with Braun, and I have a feeling we'll see a much improved Demers and a returned-to-the-mean Niemi. We were tied 8th for GAA this season with two stingy teams like Nashville and New jersey, even with our atrocious PK. We're fine defensively. We gave up only 2 more 5-on-5 goals than the Rangers, who's defense is lauded, and they have a Vezina-nominee as a goaltender.

The offense is what needs to be addressed, specifically our depth. I like our top-6, even if it stays as it is. What we need is a tweener, whether that becomes Wingels, or a UFA signing, a small trade, parts of a Clowe trade, or a surprise player. The biggest problem was never replacing Seto, even though the Burns trade was a net win. Added to the fact that Havlat was injured or snake-bit most of the season, and we really struggle offensively. We were only 17th in GFA 5-on-5, which is unacceptable considering the talent we have in the top-6.

Last season we had 7 20 goal-scorers. This season we have 6 10 goal-scorers. This season we had 61.2% of our goals scored by the top-6 (Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Clowe, and Havlat), and I feel comfortable saying it would have been close to 70% if not for Havlat and Clowe's injuries. And if you add in Burns and Boyle, that would be close to 80% of our goals scored by 8 people. That's stupid. In fact, 42% of our goals were scored by three people.

We don't need a Suter on this team. We don't even need a Parise (although I'd take him ), we need a Nashville-type forward depth, even if we have to sacrifice a superior player in Clowe (or god forbid, Pavelski) to get it.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:31 PM
StalockSuperfan

I'm completely against bringing in Stuart now that I hear from Wings fans that he doesn't really play the left side. Assuming Murray is moved that gives us Boyle, Burns, Demers, Braun and Stuart on the right side, and Vlasic on the left. Not gonna work. We need a 2-way left side d-man. Stuart is not that.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:52 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
I'm completely against bringing in Stuart now that I hear from Wings fans that he doesn't really play the left side. Assuming Murray is moved that gives us Boyle, Burns, Demers, Braun and Stuart on the right side, and Vlasic on the left. Not gonna work. We need a 2-way left side d-man. Stuart is not that.
Good point. I think allot of us, myself included, have interest Stuart just
because of his comments about living in the area and being open to a return.
Perhaps we all should look a little harder/be more creative as armchair GMs.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
He also hasn't played very well all season long. If he can find his game again and be a physical force then I wouldn't mind him being in teal again. If its the disinterested pylon that I saw against the Preds well id rather have the passionate pylon(Murray).

Old
04-28-2012, 12:00 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Obviously, the ultimate target is Barret Jackman. He's look great next to Boyle or Demers. But I'm sure he'll re-sign with the Blues, considering that their Cup window is just opening.

Vlasic-Burns
Jackman-Boyle
Braun-Demers

would be extremely sexy, not to mention it would take away an important cog in the Blue defense (crippling Shattenkirk's crutch). Hell, depending on the Cap/CBA, I'd be willing to overpay Jackman if he gets to free agency.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Obviously, the ultimate target is Barret Jackman. He's look great next to Boyle or Demers. But I'm sure he'll re-sign with the Blues, considering that their Cup window is just opening.

Vlasic-Burns
Jackman-Boyle
Braun-Demers

would be extremely sexy, not to mention it would take away an important cog in the Blue defense (crippling Shattenkirk's crutch). Hell, depending on the Cap/CBA, I'd be willing to overpay Jackman if he gets to free agency.
I wouldn't mind him at all.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:09 AM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
We very much need a shut down pair. Vlasic-Stuart playing PK #1 and the majority of minutes against the other team's top line 5 on 5 would make a big impact.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:11 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:

Vlasic-Burns
Jackman-Boyle
Braun-Demers

I'd take Jackman also.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
We very much need a shut down pair. Vlasic-Stuart playing PK #1 and the majority of minutes against the other team's top line 5 on 5 would make a big impact.
A negative impact. Burns-Vlasic would be much better.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Hell no. I trust Burns in defensive situations more than Stuart. Defensively, it'd go Vlasic, Burns, Stuart/Braun, Boyle, Demers.

Quote:
I'd take Jackman also.
Unfortunately, I doubt he leaves the Blues. He's played his whole damn career there.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:15 AM
StalockSuperfan

Meh, still prefer Garrison if possible. Stud defensively with 16 goals this year? Booming shot from the point too. Would drastically help our PP.

Vlasic - Burns
Garrison - Boyle
Demers - Braun

Old
04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Imo, I think the Sharks would be good to create some balance on their blue line. They are very heavy on the right with PMD and very heavy on the left with stay-at-homers. Putting a stay-at-home on the right and a puck-mover on the left would help considerably.

If they can sign a Matt Carle instead of getting Stuart, I'd be for it. Or if they could find a trade that addresses it, that's fine too. However, if Stuart is the only reasonable option to join us, I think the team has to make it work and move what is necessary to do so. Nothing big since it is just Brad Stuart but maybe one of Braun or Demers for a natural left-side PMD to achieve that balance.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Are you all really comfortable with Demers - Braun as a pairing? I really am not, due to their lack of experience as well as being not as complementary as players.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Meh, still prefer Garrison if possible. Stud defensively with 16 goals this year? Booming shot from the point too. Would drastically help our PP.

Vlasic - Burns
Garrison - Boyle
Demers - Braun

Garrison is going to cash in.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Are you all really comfortable with Demers - Braun as a pairing? I really am not, due to their lack of experience as well as being not as complementary as players.
It really isn't that bad during the season but they just won't match up in the playoffs.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

Vlasic - Burns
Garrison - Boyle
Demers - Braun

Garrison is going to get paid the most after Suter, methinks.

Quote:
I am. As long as we get a defensively responsible partner for Boyle so the two youngsters can play very sheltered minutes. Besides, Demers and Vlasic actually played shut-down minutes two seasons ago after they were paired together. Demers is capable of more than he's showed us this season.

In a dream world, we sign both Carle and Stuart and roll with the single best defense I have ever seen.

Vlasic-Burns
Carle-Stuart
Braun-Boyle/Demers

Trade Boyle or Demers for a young forward. Boom. Team fixed.

Not like we're getting Carle, but wouldn't that be awesome.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Garrison is going to get paid the most after Suter, methinks.

I am. As long as we get a defensively responsible partner for Boyle so the two youngsters can play very sheltered minutes. Besides, Demers and Vlasic actually played shut-down minutes two seasons ago after they were paired together. Demers is capable of more than he's showed us this season.

In a dream world, we sign both Carle and Stuart and roll with the single best defense I have ever seen.

Vlasic-Burns
Carle-Stuart
Braun-Boyle/Demers

Trade Boyle or Demers for a young forward. Boom. Team fixed.

Not like we're getting Carle, but wouldn't that be awesome.
A lot of people will feel like we're regressing by bringing both in even though both players have changed dramatically since leaving San Jose.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Garrison is going to cash in.
I'm aware of that. Figure he gets $4.5-5M. Subtract Murray, White and Vandermeer and that's $4.5M off the books. Add a #7 for cheap and we're in the same place more or less. Not to mention any moves at forward that could potentially save cap space too if necessary. Adding Garrison is very doable.

Last edited by StalockSuperfan: 04-28-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old
04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
A lot of people will feel like we're regressing by bringing both in even though both players have changed dramatically since leaving San Jose.
Regressing? Carle>Murray and Stuart>White... Plus we get our LH-PMD. Fixes all the problems.

Yes, Stuart's regressed and Carle isn't a top-2 defenseman (although he can be worst case), but I don't see how that isn't an upgrade on last season.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Regressing? Carle>Murray and Stuart>White... Plus we get our LH-PMD. Fixes all the problems.

Yes, Stuart's regressed and Carle isn't a top-2 defenseman (although he can be worst case), but I don't see how that isn't an upgrade on last season.
I mean regress in terms of going backwards as a team since we already had those two long ago. lol

Old
04-28-2012, 12:41 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I mean regress in terms of going backwards as a team since we already had those two long ago. lol
Oh. Haha I guess I see what you mean.

But remember, this is my dream world. In reality, I doubt either will be signed.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Tommy Wingels ($1.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Daniel Winnik ($2.500m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Brad Winchester ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Matt Carle ($4.500m) / Brad Stuart ($3.000m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $66,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,224,167; BONUSES: $187,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $775,833

Clowe and Demers are traded for Hagelin and Dubinsky. Picks can be added either way, I'm not sure which. If we really need the space, it can be Boyle instead of Demers.

/enddream

Old
04-28-2012, 12:45 AM
sjshark91

Doug would be a terrible GM not to try his best to sign Carle. Given the Chicago mold. A solid D is the best thing for Niemi. Also our top 6 would be a lot better if they had better outlet passes. Something Carle does quite well.

But, I think he's going to another team. So it's all meaningless.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:16 AM
murdock1116

I really think the guy for us is Tim Gleason!

No one else a believer?

Vlasic - Burns
Boyle - Braun
Gleason - Demers

Or any variation of that

Closed Thread