HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Little break from the proposal discussions...

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2004, 03:13 AM
cws
...in the drink

vCash: 500
Little break from the proposal discussions...

I used to be a part of this site below, and from time to time I check back just for the hell of it. There are a handful of people there (literally) that I came to respect. The author of this piece is one of them.

I don't agree with all of his opinions. He has never agreed with all of mine. Different strokes. But we've always had respect for what the other has to say; that does mean quite a bit.

Make of this what you will, I expect nothing less than genuine honesty.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/mod...ticle&sid=4939

Last edited by cw7: 12-10-2004 at 03:18 AM.
Old
12-10-2004, 07:33 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
I used to be a part of this site below, and from time to time I check back just for the hell of it. There are a handful of people there (literally) that I came to respect. The author of this piece is one of them.

I don't agree with all of his opinions. He has never agreed with all of mine. Different strokes. But we've always had respect for what the other has to say; that does mean quite a bit.

Make of this what you will, I expect nothing less than genuine honesty.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/mod...ticle&sid=4939
With regards to 1st one, yes it is voluntary to join the NHLPA and yes the NHLPA may force a player to pay the fee even if they don't join. If the player was paying 100% of the union fee then the union has to justify the amount, so that means the player would likely be able to claim his share of the unions benefits (ie retirement plans etc). If the union wants to cut him out of these it has to reduce the amount charged accordingly.

Well that is how it normally works in a lot of areas.

Old
12-10-2004, 07:41 AM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
With regards to 1st one, yes it is voluntary to join the NHLPA and yes the NHLPA may force a player to pay the fee even if they don't join. If the player was paying 100% of the union fee then the union has to justify the amount, so that means the player would likely be able to claim his share of the unions benefits (ie retirement plans etc). If the union wants to cut him out of these it has to reduce the amount charged accordingly.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Well that is how it normally works in a lot of areas.

Seriously, why did you post this when none of it was true?

Old
12-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Personally, I got as far as his 'svengali' crack before giving up. If he can't keep personal dislike for one of the principals out of his analysis that early in his argument... well, it doesn't bode well for an even-handed discussion.

Old
12-10-2004, 07:46 AM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Personally, I got as far as his 'svengali' crack before giving up. If he can't keep personal dislike for one of the principals out of his analysis that early in his argument... well, it doesn't bode well for an even-handed discussion.
The whole post was absurd, and amateur-ish. An insight free zone. I'm glad he's identified 2.5 million in potential savings through elimination per diems. That should just about do the trick...hockey by the end of next week?

Old
12-10-2004, 08:27 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79

Seriously, why did you post this when none of it was true?
I was tricked. To think I thought the United States Supreme Court could make rulings. These must have been practical jokes they where playing

http://www.nrtw.org/RDA.htm
http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm
and
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...l=473&invol=95
Plenty more out there.

Old
12-10-2004, 08:28 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
The whole post was absurd, and amateur-ish. An insight free zone. I'm glad he's identified 2.5 million in potential savings through elimination per diems. That should just about do the trick...hockey by the end of next week?

LOL I agree. $3m across the entire league is $100K per team. M'eh, it barely rates.

Old
12-10-2004, 05:00 PM
PecaFan

Um, it's way more than that. Like most, he completely blew the math. You don't get per diems only on game day. You get it *every* day you're away from home. Even on the travel days if you leave before noon etc, if you read it. http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/article19.html
Note they still get it even if you feed them on the airplane or bus, etc.

So, assuming half the season is spent on the road, that's around 3 months. Therefore, the math should be more like 90 days * $85 * 23 players or so = $175 grand per team, or around $5.25 million for the league. That's just regular season, playoffs would add another million or so, won't bother to do the math.

Though small, it is ridiculous. It's a holdover from the 50's.

Old
12-11-2004, 08:38 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Um, it's way more than that. Like most, he completely blew the math. You don't get per diems only on game day. You get it *every* day you're away from home. Even on the travel days if you leave before noon etc, if you read it. http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/article19.html
Note they still get it even if you feed them on the airplane or bus, etc.

So, assuming half the season is spent on the road, that's around 3 months. Therefore, the math should be more like 90 days * $85 * 23 players or so = $175 grand per team, or around $5.25 million for the league. That's just regular season, playoffs would add another million or so, won't bother to do the math.

Though small, it is ridiculous. It's a holdover from the 50's.
Its not that bad, check out what many firms pay for travel and food. $85 a day for food is above normal but far from exhorbitant.

Old
12-11-2004, 10:28 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Wow what a great Pro-owner article. I stopped reading it half way through when he talked about IRBE on the players board...so he is a backup goalie...that means he doesnt know buisness or hes NOT allowed to since hes only a backup goalie? What a joke that article was.

Old
12-11-2004, 01:26 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Wow what a great Pro-owner article. I stopped reading it half way through when he talked about IRBE on the players board...so he is a backup goalie...that means he doesnt know buisness or hes NOT allowed to since hes only a backup goalie? What a joke that article was.
Unlike the "informed" and "un-biased" views often seen here? They never slam certain people for little or no reason, now do they?

Parts of the article were over the top, sure. He's a fan with an opinion, what do you expect? The ultimate in objectivity, not even close. And if you'd like, you can relay your sentiments to the author. I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss his writing with you (that's a not so subtle hint that he'll give you much more of a rough time than I will, just wanted to make sure you got that).

Many of the posts here have good intentions, many of them are still a joke. For some of us, using that line carries little weight.

"People who live in glass houses..."

Old
12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Its not that bad, check out what many firms pay for travel and food. $85 a day for food is above normal but far from exhorbitant.
The difference being, we're talking about multi-millionaires, vs some average joe making $50 grand a year.

It's a perk that was given to them when hockey players *were* average joes, and actually needed per diems to survive.

Closed Thread