HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Stretch: What Teams Should Jackets Fans Be Cheering For?

Old
03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

vCash: 500
Playoff Stretch: What Teams Should Jackets Fans Be Cheering For?

Another year where the playoff races could come down to the final couple of days (thanks Mayor Bee for your Elimination thread on the Mains). Yet again, Jackets fans have to miss out on the excitement of looking at the standings on a daily basis and figuring out which teams we need to cheer for that night to best help the cause...

To try and keep some level of enthusiasm up in this darkest of years, I've tried to think of teams I will cheer for and against with an eye on how it helps the Jackets.

Bubble teams to cheer FOR making the playoffs:

Phoenix Coyotes - There's 4 reasons I want Phoenix to make the playoffs and win the first round. 1) There's lots of ex-Jackets there, so it's like cheering for Columbus South; 2) if they win the first round, we get there 4th rounder next year (from Vermette trade) rather than a 5th; 3) if they win the first round, it may be against Vancouver, which could help us (see below); 4) it would be nice if the team could win a round in a last-ditch effort to save the team and keep it in Phoenix.

Bubble teams to cheer AGAINST making the playoffs:

LA Kings - I know many of you will disagree with this. But, the petty side of me hopes that Carter didn't sulk his way to playoff games this year. I could see this team making the playoffs and getting on a run which would make us choose next year's pick anyway. So, I'd rather they miss and hope they completely destruct next year and hand us a lottery pick. Plus, I'd rather have Phoenix edge them out.

Ottawa Senators - Don't look now, but it's possible they could fall out of the playoff race with Washington and Buffalo starting to pick up. We have their 2nd round pick and while it may not make a huge difference, this pick could end up being a top 40-44 pick in the upcoming draft which isn't something to sneeze at.

San Jose Sharks - I like the Sharks, but I feel if they miss, there's going to be big changes in Silicon Valley. There's some real talent out there and they may be more willing to break up that nucleus if the playoffs are missed.

Toronto Maple Leafs - No longer a bubble team, but I cheer against them all the time anyways. Despite having grown up in Ontario, I've been a life-long Leafs despiser. In addition to personal satisfaction, their spiral downward may cause Burkie to do some desperate trade this summer to save his own job that sacrifices the Leafs future to our benefit.

Teams comfortably in the playoffs to cheer AGAINST during the first round

My preference is that Howson and Priest goes and the new GM makes a decision whether Nash is part of the problem or the solution. This seems unlikely to happen, so I'd prefer that there be multiple teams ready to bid on Nash's services if we are going to move him. Toronto and San Jose are 2 teams already mentioned who may be bidding. I think the other two main ones are the Rangers and the Canucks. Perhaps the Bruins in terms of prying Rask away, but not sure this trade would happen regardless. All of these teams losing in the first round may help facilitate a bidding war for Nash or perhaps something else on the Jackets roster (though unlikely).

I guess that only leaves the Coyotes as a team to cheer for. I also will cheer for the Jets and the Flames but they will probably be on the outside looking in and it doesn't really affect the Jackets either way. Guess Florida and Buffalo would be OK to cheer for. Can't bring myself to cheer for Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia or St. Louis (despite Hitch).

Any disagreements or a team that I missed that we should be cheering for or against?

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

I'm going to cheer for good playoff hockey that's it. I cheer for one NHL team and that's the Jackets.

Cheering for the Coyotes: that depresses me because that team is such financial mess that the NHL had to take control of it.....and yet they are close to making the playoffs.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:55 PM
blahblah

I will be supporting the Blues. I will not be cheering against the Sens or Kings. I will cheer for any team playing the Rangers or the Flyers. In a head-to-head, I will pretend the series isn't being played.

I will be supporting the 'Yotes as well.

Other than that, I don't care much about the other teams. They can win/lose, whatever. Normally I would support the Bruins, but they've already won so I don't care what they do.

Oh, one other note, I hate the Sedin's. I like the city of Vancouver, but those dudes are creepy. Can't wish for them to win.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I follow my usual pattern. I root for the most downtrodden teams that make the Canadian media seethe, and I especially want Winnipeg to completely bomb out. Just to the extent that they miss, get stuck with the worst possible pick for a non-playoff team, and then botch the pick.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I follow my usual pattern. I root for the most downtrodden teams that make the Canadian media seethe, and I especially want Winnipeg to completely bomb out. Just to the extent that they miss, get stuck with the worst possible pick for a non-playoff team, and then botch the pick.
So you want them to follow the Blue Jackets model?

Obvious, but couldn't resist.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I am stridently anti-Rangers and anti-Kings.

I hope the Rangers don't score a goal at all in the playoffs.

As for the Kings, Nanabijou sums it up fine for me. I'll cross my fingers that they'll be worse next year and the Jackets can reap that pick.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:40 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Rooting for the flyers big time. I like their coach, style of play and many of their players, Jake in particular. Winnipeg is unlikely to make it at this point, but would be fun if they did make it. I would normally root for the Caps, but they're so bland nowadays it's difficult to watch them. The rangers are compelling....not really rooting for them, but I like torts and would like to see him succeed. Unfortunately I think they blow it and are out by the third round.

For the west, I have a soft spot for San Jose even tough their failure would likely impact the CBJ in a meaningful way. Canucks are gutless, so I can't root for them...

So the west is harder to predict who ill root for. Generally I'll just watch a series and hope for good hockey and eventually find myself liking one team more than another.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

To try and keep some level of enthusiasm up in this darkest of years, I've tried to think of teams I will cheer for and against with an eye on how it helps the Jackets.
That's good info, bijou. Thanks for doing that. It's too much for me to keep track of. That said, like many, I'll rely on allegiances (and hatreds) both old and new once the playoffs start, but it's nice to keep things in mind as they could impact the CBJ.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM
CBJCougar

Gotta know I am cheering for the Klesla Coyotes. And I guess I'm the only one cheering for the Blueshirts! They were my first love....

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:05 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Rooting for Nashville & Phoenix (and even the Penguins and hoping Crosby is healthy again) And just enjoy some good competitive hockey.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:08 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Nashville, St Louis, and any team playing the Canucks. I can't stand them after their dirty, whiny play in the playoffs last year.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:20 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I'm cheering for the Flyers in the East.

I'd like the Kings to squeak in and lose in the 1st round. I'd like to see the Senators do well. I'm cheering for the Coyotes for many reasons.

I'd like the Leafs to win out to make their pick worse. It's a shame because I sort of like the Leafs but I hate their fans. It would be nice to see Florida do well. I'd LOVE to see the Bruins and Pens SWEPT in the 1st round.

Gotta hope one of the teams in the Nash derby goes out early and decides they really need to upgrade at wing.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Just a note that, if the Kings have the fewest points of any playoff team and lose in the first two rounds, the pick is automatically #15. No matter what, the best-case scenario is for them to not win the division and to be bounced early.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:37 PM
EspenK

I'm rooting hard for the Kings to make it and then get swept by the Blues. That #1 could be a great tool in rebuilding-use it this year, package it this year with something to either move up or obtain a decent NHL player or defer to next year.

I also am rooting for toronto to continue to tank because I still have dreams of acquiring their first pick as part of a Nash trade.

Once the playoffs begin I'd usually be rooting for the Rangers as they were my team back when I was growing up. However, if they lost early and it helped them see the need to sweeten their offer for Nash, well for this year I could stand it. With nash on board, next year I could root for them to go all the way, cause I don't see us in the playoffs next year either.

So now I need a team to root for-i like the way the Red Wing play so they'll have some part of me rooting for them; Colorado with Landeskog and Stasny will be my second choice. in the east i guess I'll have to go with Ottawa. I dislike all the other teams.

can't wait-SC playoffs are a great watch.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Gotta know I am cheering for the Klesla Coyotes. And I guess I'm the only one cheering for the Blueshirts! They were my first love....
He planted someone with a big hit late in a game recently. It was fun to watch.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
How far back you go with them Cougar? As akid I can remember when Andy Bathgate and Gump Worsley played for them. They were the Blue Jackets of their day. Hmmmm. Definitely another key to my pysche.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Bluline1

St. Louis...like to see Hitch win the Cup !

Bluline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
How far back you go with them Cougar? As akid I can remember when Andy Bathgate and Gump Worsley played for them. They were the Blue Jackets of their day. Hmmmm. Definitely another key to my pysche.
And in terms of looks, the difference between Andy Bathgate and Gump Worsley is the same as that between Fabio and a cross between Rodney Dangerfield and Moe Howard.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
And in terms of looks, the difference between Andy Bathgate and Gump Worsley is the same as that between Fabio and a cross between Rodney Dangerfield and Moe Howard.
You name a kid "Gump" and that's what happens.
Ok so his real name is Lorne. (not much better)

Last edited by Derby: 03-22-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: located birth name
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

All 16 teams can kindly suck it.

I hope Jake does well, he's still my favorite.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:45 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Any team with a former Jacket, with the exception of Philly and the Red Wangs.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:47 PM
EspenK

17719120_116996080774.jpg
Quote:
I present to you The Gump

Old
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Renion

Rooting for Coyotes, Sharks, Vancouver, and probably Kings, in the west. Coyotes mostly because of the ******-ass fans who couldn't wait for them to fall under, but also because of the loads of ex-Jackets. (I like your direction, Mayor, although I'm a bit conflicted on Winnipeg because I like Noel and wouldn't mind seeing him succeed.) Sharks because I still like the team, particularly Marleau. Vancouver because of Manny, Sammy, and Kesler. Kings because of Doughty and because they are the most interesting local team.

In the east, I gave in to nostalgia last season and was for Boston against Vancouver. That won't be the case this season, although I won't be rooting against Boston. For teams, I'll be rooting for Philadelphia: I just like the way they play the game. Also Washington, because I want to see Ovechkin get back on track some day. Outside of those two teams, though, I'll mostly be rooting for individuals: Dubinsky, Parise, Alfredsson, and, just as in the Olympics, anyone else who has a story that catches my interest.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:03 PM
FunKingJackets
Winning is the Fun

As a casual fan i'll watch casually not really caring about who wins but rather is the game entertaining. I follow Phoenix for the ex Jackets as well as Philly.

The bittersweet aspect of Hitch raising the cup interests me particularly in a year he would have been paid by us.

FunKingJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well I Never View Post
As a casual fan i'll watch casually not really caring about who wins but rather is the game entertaining. I follow Phoenix for the ex Jackets as well as Philly.

The bittersweet aspect of Hitch raising the cup interests me particularly in a year he would have been paid by us.
I can support pictures of Hitch hoisting the cup going back into heavy rotation around here.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote