HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game: ECQF G7. Washington Capitals @ Boston Bruins. 7:30pm. TD Garden. 4.25.2012

Old
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
The Aucoin thing seems a bit overrated. He's a 4th line center FFS, and as much as we all want to see him fail he never really cost them, played honest defense and has generally been good for getting a cycle going. Perreault/Halpern may be an upgrade, but he's been ok.

Now Schultz-Wideman on the other facepalm

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
The Aucoin thing seems a bit overrated. He's a 4th line center FFS, and as much as we all want to see him fail he never really cost them, played honest defense and has generally been good for getting a cycle going. Perreault/Halpern may be an upgrade, but he's been ok.

A 4th line center thats playing on the PP1 while MP85 and Halpern sit in the press box.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:01 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Blame my wife for making me eat healthier and drink only once a week.... But I'm down 25lbs
OT but seems like a keeper.

04-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Congrats to you guys from a Kings fan. Awesome job shutting down the B's tonight. The Caps are playing their best defensive hockey of the season at just the right time. And man, that guy Holtby is the real deal.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
A 4th line center thats playing on the PP1 while MP85 and Halpern sit in the press box.
Yeah the PP1 thing sucks but at even strength he's been a good 4th liner.

I think Wideman on the PP hurts us more.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Capitlols

Damn my beard is getting itchy though.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:07 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

If it's the Rangers that we meet in the next series, though I wanted to see Orlov get some time in the Bruins series, he (that is Orlov) seemed to have his worst games against the Rangers and in particular Gaborik seemed to give him fits.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:07 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

3 stars:

Holtby - He could have used the rookie excuse to let in some soft goals and blow the series. He let in exactly as many soft goals as Vezina and Conn Smythe winner Tim Thomas.

Carlzner (cheating!) - Completely shut down the Bruins' top line.

Ovechkin - Led the team in points while acting as a decoy to draw the Bruins' top defensive pairing.

HM:
Beagle - Out on the ice for every critical faceoff and won most of them. His faceoff wins translated directly to puck possession for the Caps and his line, which translated directly to no puck possession for the line they were matched against: Bruins' scoring line.

Ward - The series-winning goal.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:09 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Damn my beard is getting itchy though.
My beard is gawful. I'm Asian. It's been growing since just before Game 1 and it's still patchy and only like 1/4 inch long lmao. It's WAY worse than Crosby's playoff beard. But there's no way in hell I'm shaving it.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Have Nick and Ovie ever not been separated in the playoffs?
I remember vs Philly. Not much else

Not that it matters though. It was a smart and successful command decision. As with everything. Disagree if you might, as i do here and there... but the dude's team won four one goal games vs previous sc champs. We all have our reservations. And to pre-empt those saying you want us to lose like earlier... I have them too. I had us out in 5. Feels good to win, but winning this way is a heart attack every game.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:11 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
3 stars:

Holtby - He could have used the rookie excuse to let in some soft goals and blow the series. He let in exactly as many soft goals as Vezina and Conn Smythe winner Tim Thomas.

Ovechkin - Led the team in points while acting as a decoy to draw the Bruins' top defensive pairing.

HM:
Beagle - Out on the ice for every critical faceoff and won most of them. His faceoff wins translated directly to puck possession for the Caps and his line, which translated directly to no puck possession for the line they were matched against: Bruins' scoring line.

Lots of HMs -- Backstrom, Laich, and Hendricks all had a great series. Ooh also gotta throw Mojo in there. Kid really came on towards the end of the series (remember his amazing offensive steal in the third period of game 6?)

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Maruk moustache

I just rewound and watched the end again. In the handshake line, just as it's ending, on the NBC feed you can hear one of the players saying, I think, "Good luck the rest of the way." and then, very definitely: "If you keep playing the same ****in' way..." and then it trails off because NBC switched to Emrick talking. It seems a lot like one of the Bruins was telling one of the Capitals if the Capitals keep playing the same ****in' way they are going to do pretty well or something to that effect.

That's a nice thing I think that guy said whoever it was. It had to be one of the very last guys in the Boston handshake line.

Maruk moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:13 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

That's quite an impressive stat that except for Perreault and Aucoin, every Cap forward had at least one goal during the series.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:13 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
3 stars:

HM:

Bolded...yeah that did pay off. Boston player made some exceptional plays to neutralize prime AO chances..its the playoffs yo.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:14 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Bolded...yeah that did pay off. Boston player made some exceptional plays to neutralize prime AO chances..its the playoffs yo.
Just a prediction, but if we try to play this style against Philly, it'll be 6-0 real quick. Giroux and Co. and that PP are not Boston. And they don't have a pairing like 33 and 44. That will be the test about Dale being able to "adjust".

04-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
If it's the Rangers that we meet in the next series, though I wanted to see Orlov get some time in the Bruins series, he (that is Orlov) seemed to have his worst games against the Rangers and in particular Gaborik seemed to give him fits.
Much of that can be mitigated by linematching, and the sample size is incredibly small. Gaborik also blows in the playoffs. I'd prefer Orlov over Schultzman even given the rookie aspect and the history. Orlov is a much better skater than either and he can stay with his man fairly well when not looking for a big hit. Heck, one big hipcheck would probably enough to put Gaborik out of commission. This rags team has a serious amount of speed and I cannot imagine Schultzman dealing well with that unless they play really far back, even then. Orlov at least could keep up with their forwards.

Also Orlov should be able to break out without turning it over always, which is huge for our system.

Alzner Carlson
Hamrlik Green
Erskine Orlov (need Erskine in this one and he's generally been good at compensating for his clay feet)

Feels so much more right.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:18 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Just a prediction, but if we try to play this style against Philly, it'll be 6-0 real quick. Giroux and Co. and that PP are not Boston. And they don't have a pairing like 33 and 44. That will be the test about Dale being able to "adjust".
Against a high flying team like Philly we have to clog up the neutral zone and slow them down. I don't know what else would be effective.

Pitt tried to match their speed and got burnt.

We can't do that.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Ilya Bryzgalov is not Tim Thomas.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:19 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Against a high flying team like Philly we have to clog up the neutral zone and slow them down. I don't know what else would be effective.

We can't do that.
Pitt got beat because Fleury was a seive. If that happens to us, we're not winning no matter how we play.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:19 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Knee jerk comment yeah I would agreed. But man the horrible defensemen play and goalie play is the wild card for the Flyers. Flyers O depth though is pretty amazing. Will their young players begin to hold those sticks tighter in the 2nd round is a real question.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:20 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
OT but seems like a keeper.
Yeah it's been great... I'm kicking butt on many levels physically.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Though they're dangerous I have to question just how much prowess they have given that what they've shown so far has been against completely unstructured defense and a horribly crap goalie. And they've been loose as hell in the neutral zone as well. Timonen isn't what he was 3 years ago. I can see Ovechkin exhausting him completely by the 3rd game or so. I have zero doubts that Carlzner can shut down their top line at ES. If Schultz Wideman gets any time against Briere at all we're completely ****ed though.

By far the worst opponent to go up against next though, especially if Bryzgalov randomly gets hot.

I kinda wanna see them match Couturier against Ovechkin, if he'd be as good shutting down a guy who is much more into playing the body hard than Malkin was. Ovechkin as a sacrificial wrecking ball fits this new structure to a T.

Also, if they don't get either Grossman or Meszaros back, I really think they're ****ed. And if Meszaros does come back he'd probably be rusty as hell.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:21 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Pitt got beat because Fleury was a seive.
True.

Also because Pitt d was unnecessarily aggressive which gave Philly so many odd man breaks.

As bad as flurry was that defense was just as bad.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:24 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

We can't do that.
Beagle - Beagle - Beagle
Beagle - Beagle - Beagle
Beagle - Beagle - Beagle
Beagle - Beagle - Beagle

Alzner-Carlson
Wideman-Wideman
Ankles-Wideman

Dryd.. err.. Holtby!!

#HunterHockey

Bears.. beets.. Battlestar Galactica!

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:25 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
I give huge credit to the Mods for dealing with Caps fans.

We are a handful.

I laugh every time I see other teams posters call Caps fans fair weather.

They have no idea the STORMS we have witnessed and endured.

Maybe we are all a little bit crazy.
Crazy are the crazies who moderate you.