HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game: ECQF G7. Washington Capitals @ Boston Bruins. 7:30pm. TD Garden. 4.25.2012

Old
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i'll rephrase. i thought hamrlik and green were both outstanding in that series. would you agree?
An outstanding 7 game series from Mike Green includes about five goals and five assists. So in no would I categorize his series as outstanding.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Thank goodness Green had the foresight to get him self suspended near season's end thus forcing Hunter to re-insert Hamrlik back into the lineup.

Sarcasm aside I truly do wonder at what point, if any Hunter would have put Hamrlik back in. It's conceivable Washington would have missed the playoffs based on the records that ensued with vs. without him.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
An outstanding 7 game series from Mike Green includes about five goals and five assists. So in no would I categorize his series as outstanding.
i thought Green had a pretty good series, not great, but he seemed to be having more offensive chances than near the end of the regular season. Plus he wasn't Wideman-esque in his own zone.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Mothra

Quote:
agreed.....he got yanked off the PP for half the series. The guy needs to produce on teh scoresheet.....thats his game. Im happy he didnt have the kind of series we have seen from him before....where he is bad on D and doesnt produce. I thought overall he was decent in his end but poor along the boards...hopefully he comes at it next round and can pick up the offense, they will need it

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Am I the only one who laughed maniacally when realizing it was Ward who scored?
Haha I did as well. Was watching the game at a bar in San Diego with a good friend who is a Caps fan and he happens to be black. We were jumping up and down when they scored and I didn't even realize who scored until NBC focused the camera on Ward. I laughed hysterically when I realized Ward scored and my friend shouted, "Tell me the black dude won the ****ing game!! Who says black dudes can't skate!?" Laughed my ****ing ass off. Still in shock. Holy hell was that awesome!!

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Hammer was going back in swimmer.

Sarge Erskine Orlov, one of them stuck with Wideman? Someone was going to crack with or without Green.

Dare I think Hammer will be fresher this playoffs from the "unpleasantness", and Orlov gained more experience as well.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
pie19
HFBoards Sponsor

Great series! Some guys I only got to see four times a year or so, likeJay Beagle, really impressed me getting to see them so regularly. Hated DH as a player, but gotta give him props as a coach. Go Caps!

pie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
BoyntBergie

Congrats Caps fans. Your team earned it, fair and square. That was truly a series that could have swung either way, but you guys were the more resilient, harder battling team in the end.

Nothing but respect for this Caps team. Not the most exciting hockey in the world (from either side), but it was effective, and you guys had a ridiculously high battle level all series.

Good show, and good luck moving forward.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Caps Radio play by play announcer, John Walton's call.

http://www.capitalsvoice.com/wp-cont...RD-GWG-1-2.mp3
"They score! They score! They score!"

So awesome. Thanks for the link.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I must also say the "Ovechkin" ice time meter talk is dumb.

He had one of the highest in the series and led the team in points.

they obviously didn't want him going bull against giant bull 24/7 with Chara, knowing that he has a propensity to take dumb penalties and run around. Talking about it last night, what team left in the playoffs has a better shutdown pair than they do to handle Ovechkin? None. No one even close. The Rangers have a pair that can do it some, but not in a whole series.

I'm very excited to see what a bit of angry Ovechkin, with no more Chara and Seidenberg (who was the MVP for them) does. I feel he's going to take over relatively soon. I'm not excited at all if I'm an Eastern team.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Hammer was going back in swimmer.

Sarge Erskine Orlov, one of them stuck with Wideman? Someone was going to crack with or without Green.

Dare I think Hammer will be fresher this playoffs from the "unpleasantness", and Orlov gained more experience as well.
Agreed RH. Like Hunter said the bumps and bruises healed.

And now I wonder if Orlov is finally going to get a chance. I just don't see him doing worse than either Wideman or Schultz at this point.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
there's something about playing on the road the last few years of playoffs. the bottom seeded teams are winning a lot. the caps won 3 out of 4 in boston, but with one of the best home records in the east the caps lost 2 of 3 in washington.

its somehow an advantage these days.
I believe this is due to coaches ruining hockey and destroying everything pure about the game.

Teams at home feed off the energy of the crowd and start to deviate from their coaches tyrannical systems.

When the players feel the energy from the crowd they get pumped and actually want to make hockey plays, not play their coaches stupid system.

Soon we will see these systems at the Pee Wee level and the game will start to die. It has already begun.

Maybe a bit melodramatic but that's the way I see it.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Congrats on the win, Caps fans. Your guys did a really great job of boxing the Bruins out of the slot area, and forcing bad angle shots. Props to your coaching staff, and to your guys for buying in and executing.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I must also say the "Ovechkin" ice time meter talk is dumb.

He had one of the highest in the series and led the team in points.

they obviously didn't want him going bull against giant bull 24/7 with Chara, knowing that he has a propensity to take dumb penalties and run around. Talking about it last night, what team left in the playoffs has a better shutdown pair than they do to handle Ovechkin? None. No one even close. The Rangers have a pair that can do it some, but not in a whole series.

I'm very excited to see what a bit of angry Ovechkin, with no more Chara and Seidenberg (who was the MVP for them) does. I feel he's going to take over relatively soon. I'm not excited at all if I'm an Eastern team.
Perfectly said. And if you actually read his quotes on icetime, he isn't even mad. He wishes he got more, obviously, but he wants to do what's best for the team.

Some of his potential matchups next round are jokes. It's gonna be fun.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bonzilla

Quote:
i'll rephrase. i thought hamrlik and green were both outstanding in that series. would you agree?
Absolutely! Green is now fully integrated. He gave up several opportunities to both shoot and to hold the line on anything approaching iffy in the O end. Multiple rewinds as well to keep the pace at Hunterspeed.

Hammer played like the poster boy for Hunterhockey. His energy level throughout was outstanding.

But seriously, just no to J.Shultz! Erskine can't win the lil' races either, but at least the winner knows he'll pay a price for his efforts.

Last edited by bonzilla: 04-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I believe this is due to coaches ruining hockey and destroying everything pure about the game.

Teams at home feed off the energy of the crowd and start to deviate from their coaches tyrannical systems.

When the players feel the energy from the crowd they get pumped and actually want to make hockey plays, not play their coaches stupid system.

Soon we will see these systems at the Pee Wee level and the game will start to die. It has already begun.

Maybe a bit melodramatic but that's the way I see it.
Are you being serious???

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Not happening in Daleworld.

The new "outstanding" is: 2 secondary assists, 5 hits, 3SOG, +2.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
txpd

Quote:
you dont recognize that the caps current system doesnt allow for much offensive participation from the defense? there was one goal scored from defense in the entire series. by green.

in the context of that series 5 goals from any capitals is a completely unrealistic expectation.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Vadau Bidau

So happy for the fans of the Caps, the players, and coach Hunter. I really enjoyed watching the series and will continue to cheer for the Caps! The fans deserve a good, solid run this post season and I wish you nothing but the best!

Vadau Bidau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Mothra

Quote:
you dont recognize that the caps current system doesnt allow for much offensive participation from the defense? there was one goal scored from defense in the entire series. by green.

in the context of that series 5 goals from any capitals is a completely unrealistic expectation.
while I agree 5 goals 5 assists is too much to expect....saying 52 was outstanding is equally flawed. Clearly they expect more from him on the scoresheet....im guessing thats one of the reasons he was yanked off the PP and that time given to 6

I know you are in the tank for 52...but he was not "outstanding" in the series....just like he wasnt the "best player" last season against NYR.....you tend to define anything "not bad" from 52 as "great/outstanding"

If the PP had been effective and 52 was a big part in running it....and he put up another couple goals/points while playing decent D....then i would agree with you....but thats not what happened

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
How in the world in this system is anyone going to put up numbers like that from the back end? Unless the PP is firing at about a 50% clip there is no way and that isn't likely to happen.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin combined for 6 goals and 6 assists in this series but Green was supposed to put up 5 and 5 by himself?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:48 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
while I agree 5 goals 5 assists is too much to expect....saying 52 was outstanding is equally flawed. Clearly they expect more from him on the scoresheet....im guessing thats one of the reasons he was yanked off the PP and that time given to 6

I know you are in the tank for 52...but he was not "outstanding" in the series....just like he wasnt the "best player" last season against NYR.....you tend to define anything "not bad" from 52 as "great/outstanding"

If the PP had been effective and 52 was a big part in running it....and he put up another couple goals/points while playing decent D....then i would agree with you....but thats not what happened
if it was a matter of power play production, giving his ice entirely to 6 doesnt really make sense. wideman didnt produce anything on the power play himself. it also wouldnt seem to explain why AFTER scoring a big goal green's ice was further given over to wideman in offensive situations and he was basically benched in a tie game.

meanwhile last night the quality chances on the power play went thru green including the highlight reel blocks by seidenberg on ovechkin. no points there.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post

uhhhh...no he was OUTSTANDING.

Green did everything that was asked of him and then some. Him and Hamrlik were fantastic in their own zone, did a good job on the PK and moved the puck very very well.

He was on for only a couple goals against if that (Green that is) and won most of his one on one battles.

You can't expect him to put up numbers in this kind of stringent defensive system.

He can't be productive on the PP when he isn't playing on it and #6 is.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
amjay13

sooooooooo............round 2 likely to start saturday?

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
I think Hamrlik was the rock on the Green/Hammer pairing. That might sound like bitter grapes, but I hated hard on Hammer this season.

Flat out shocked by the performance of about a dozen Caps.
Hammer made Phaneuf look like ten million bucks back here in Calgary, I'm not really surprised he does that.

Phaneuf has never looked the same once he stopped playing with Hammer.

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote