HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Post-Game: ECQF G7. Washington Capitals @ Boston Bruins. 7:30pm. TD Garden. 4.25.2012

Old
04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
For all the people who think Semin played great defending 8s ice time, where do you suppose 28 came in?
I think you could make a case that pretty much every single one of our forwards (sans Aucoin) deserved more ice time. Semin being one of them.

A good problem to have.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Man i was nervous just watching the highlights on nhl.com

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Oh, where he is now, he's certainly not worth the price tag. You're paying Mike Green offensive juggernaut, not Mike Green so/so defender and decent puck clearer.

I think he was timid through much of the series, but I think he had good stretches. I do think their forecheck makes it difficult for him. That's something that needs to be worked out.

But he is playing better. Not sure if better is what they get out of the dollars they pay, but I don't think he was poor by any means.

edit: many players are not worth their price tag nightly, weekly, and throughout the whole year. I just have an easier time justifying a defenseman who prevents goals, and isn't on for them against than as a goal scorer who doesn't score. If they're playing the trap, then many won't be worth what they paid them.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
34 and 40 even strength points in 68 and 75 games. So I'm asking him to score 30% fewer points than those two years.

And what is stopping the same five players from operating a 25% effective power play?

You think that's unreasonable?
What is stopping the same 5 players from converting at that same 25% clip again? Amongst other things their collective play. Green playing as well as ever isn't going to make the rest of that group back into their old selves.

And yes asking him to produce at only 30% less at even strength given that the team scored around 30% less at even strength this year compared to '09-'10 already, he isn't the only guys asked to produce offense from the back end anymore like then and thus doesn't get as much ice time is IMO unreasonable.

Green isn't putting up 60 points on a team where Ovechkin and Semin combine for 59 goals and 119 points.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Green was below-average this series. Watching guys by the crease, and - most notably - gun-shy along the boards. He was bracing for hits when no-one was anywhere near him, and making panic throws back along the boards. He's playing worried. Scheme or no, that's the problem.

I like the player he used to be. The player he is now doesn't get near the price-tag. I move on from him. (And Wideman, too, for that matter.)
His play along the boards just isnt very good. Someone is sure to point out times he gets it out of the zone...and he does....but far too often when he and someone else go for it in the corners or along the boards.....he isnt coming out with it or making a good play

im sure ill be labled a hater now that I said he wasnt amazingly amazing....but such is life on HF. This is a player who, IMO, isnt very smart.....I agree, walk from 52 and 6 and spend that dough on better hockey players

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Walking from 52 is a terrible idea.

If you don't think he's good enough, trade him for something of value.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Walking from 52 is a terrible idea.

If you don't think he's good enough, trade him for something of value.
well thats what I meant....not suggesting not qualifying him, just moving on from him

Old
04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
well thats what I meant....not suggesting not qualifying him, just moving on from him
That's fair, but I don't think you'll get anything of real value for him after his production and injury issues the last few seasons.

I doubt there's any player you'll get back for him that will represent more value than just qualifying him.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Said it before and I'll say it again, I believe there's levels to Mike Green's game we haven't seen. Pair him with the right partner and I think Green's game will rise. Hamrlik is currently a place holder for being that partner.

Any discussion of 6 in the same sentence with 52 is an insult to Green.

I'd rank puckhandling skills of Caps d-men as follows:
1. Green
2. Orlov
3. Carlson
4. Wideman

The onlly issue with Mike Green's game is that he has to be allowed to be a little creative with the puck and being creative doesn't currently mesh well with DH and JJ's defensive scheme.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Capsman

Quote:
agreed.....he got yanked off the PP for half the series. The guy needs to produce on teh scoresheet.....thats his game. Im happy he didnt have the kind of series we have seen from him before....where he is bad on D and doesnt produce. I thought overall he was decent in his end but poor along the boards...hopefully he comes at it next round and can pick up the offense, they will need it
None of the Caps are great along the boards. This is something hopefully Johnson will help to improve over time. The other thing people need to keep in mind is the fatigue factor. Our system forces defensemen to spend an inordinate amount of time battling along the boards.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Mothra

Quote:
That's fair, but I don't think you'll get anything of real value for him after his production and injury issues the last few seasons.

I doubt there's any player you'll get back for him that will represent more value than just qualifying him.
I think he has value.....whether its a prospect or a legit NHLer I dont know what they would look for. I dont think they will get a player back that is equal to what 52 has been, and could possibly do again....but I think they could get some value for sure.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Green was below-average this series. Watching guys by the crease, and - most notably - gun-shy along the boards. He was bracing for hits when no-one was anywhere near him, and making panic throws back along the boards. He's playing worried. Scheme or no, that's the problem.

I like the player he used to be. The player he is now doesn't get near the price-tag. I move on from him. (And Wideman, too, for that matter.)
I didn't get to watch all of the first two games of the series, but I definitely wouldn't call his play in the series below-average. I've been hard in the past on Green shying away from the heavy hits, but he seemed to handle them much better as the series went along. I think having a strong, consistent partner is helping. I'm sure when he was partnered with Schultz that he had to do it all himself. Hamrlik has been playing very well and helping them out of trouble and, even better, keeping them from getting in trouble in the first place.

I will agree that he could stand to be a little tougher in the crease but there's no way I'd call his performance below-average.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post

None of the Caps are great along the boards. This is something hopefully Johnson will help to improve over time. The other thing people need to keep in mind is the fatigue factor. Our system forces defensemen to spend an inordinate amount of time battling along the boards.
actually I think 27, and 44 were great along the boards....74 was very good at it

Old
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
remember when dale thought knuble wasnt worth a jersey and ward deserved 2 mins a game?

LOL

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
What is stopping the same 5 players from converting at that same 25% clip again? Amongst other things their collective play. Green playing as well as ever isn't going to make the rest of that group back into their old selves.

And yes asking him to produce at only 30% less at even strength given that the team scored around 30% less at even strength this year compared to '09-'10 already, he isn't the only guys asked to produce offense from the back end anymore like then and thus doesn't get as much ice time is IMO unreasonable.

Green isn't putting up 60 points on a team where Ovechkin and Semin combine for 59 goals and 119 points.
I'm not that pessimistic about the young guns, but if you honestly believe the above, there is 0 reason to keep Green.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
remember when dale thought knuble wasnt worth a jersey and ward deserved 2 mins a game?

LOL
Maybe Dale benching them had an effect on them which lead them to produce?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Of course. He makes no mistakes.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
ForzaItalia

Was listening to Sportsnet on the FAN590 here in Toronto today and they mentioned that it was an Ovechkin hit that injured Bergeron in Game 5.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Was listening to Sportsnet on the FAN590 here in Toronto today and they mentioned that it was an Ovechkin hit that injured Bergeron in Game 5.
Well, he took a Semin elbow to the noggin, and shortly after took an Ovechkin shoulder to the chest. I'd imagine it was a combination of the two.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Well, he took a Semin elbow to the noggin, and shortly after took an Ovechkin shoulder to the chest. I'd imagine it was a combination of the two.
They mentioned something about a muscle tear and that it was Ovie's hit that caused it.

Has Boston commented on his injury yet?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:28 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
The haters will be quick to tell you they know otherwise. Guess otherwise. Of all the days

Dale eventually comes around. People whined and complained about Knuble but in game 7 OT who was on the ice. Fresh legs storming the net. And as you suggest, perhaps he was motivated more than ever to not be sat again. Refusing to pass to Ward, the man was on a mission. Why was that?

Vogs just gave Dale credit for his coaching moves in game 4 and 5, and said he thinks we will see Orlov and MP again.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is not a criticism of your post. its just a realization. in recent years the caps have been damaged. in some respects crippled by their injury situation. its never been accepted as a valid reason to have lost. here we see that injuries to the opposition is considered a valid reason to invalidate the caps win.

my view is that playoff success or failure is always a matter of having things fall your way. knuble called for contact with halak and the caps lose. knuble not called for contact with thomas and the caps win. green, wideman and carlson are injured and the caps lose. all three are healthy and the caps win.

the caps got a defending champs who have been trending down rather than a montreal team that was trending up. the caps chances to win the cup may well be advanced by who wins either of the game 7s tonight.

callahan may have broken his hand in game 6 and boyle is out with a concussion. the caps appear healthy unless 85 has an injury.
And.....what has changed this time around compared to past playoffs?

I think that I acknowledge that pretty well and give kudos where due....it is not Ovie or Backstrom who won that series, but the bottom lines and the grinding plus the dedication to defensive systems.....that is all the Coach.
I don't see you acknowledging that part.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm not understanding. It's the coaches that are responsible for the lack of injuries?

Old
04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
sunnydaycrash

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1178189

Bruins Thread on the Ward goal and how it shouldn`t have counted

I have to admit , I`m blown away at how 95% of the B`s fans are calling it.....very classy....dunno if we would`ve been that gracious.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Shout out to Carlson for maybe the best 2 on 1 breakup i have seen in his career with 6 minutes left.

On the SWG, watch Pouliot try to grab onto or tackle the Knadian Bear. He fails so badly I didnt even notice him the first 10 times i watched the replay. Knuble was knot to be denied.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-26-2012 at 02:54 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote