Is it Tuukka Time? - all goalie talk here

Old
04-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Trade Thomas and you'll instantly regret it.
I don't know, I like Thomas a lot but how much longer can he keep it up? He's getting older and now might be the time to move him well you can get a good return.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Who says Rask is ready? He hasn't had an injury free season yet and hasn't been 100% consistent.

What's the point of trading TT when he has 1 year left on his contract?

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Save By Thomas
I Rep That West

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Thomas, Peverley, Seidenberg are probably the two players who get a passing grade for this series.
If you say so.

Save By Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:20 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey74 View Post
Clearly Thomas didn't play like he did last year, a lot of soft goals and what not. Not blaming it on him, but do you think that Tuukka comes in as #1 next year?

I think that the Thomas era may be winding down.
Thomas will be looking for one more big dollar multi-year contract. When you have two terrific younger goalies in the wings revving to go, I say "No".

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Thomas View Post
If you say so.
three sorry, I am not thinking straight

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Thomas will be looking for one more big dollar multi-year contract. When you have two terrific younger goalies in the wings revving to go, I say "No".
You kidding? That's all the more reason to let him play out his contract year here.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:35 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it is time to make a choice.

Either Rask is ready for starting duty in Boston or else he is never going to be.

You either commit to Timmy being the starter for the next 3-4 years, or else you commit to Tuukka being the starter for the next decade or so

Tuukka as a backup isn't doing anything for him. And Khouby will be gone if he isn't the backup next year as someone will claim him off waivers

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:45 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
You kidding? That's all the more reason to let him play out his contract year here.
What's the point in keeping Thomas around as a backup to Rask? Khudobin will serve admirably in that role.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:50 PM
GloveSave1
Back in Black

Baring Thomas's play in this series (which I though was better than fine), I think Tuukka Time was the plan all along. Only another Cup was gonna stop it.

Thomas's NMC is up. He's got a year left. Never a better time to get a return, and make the transition. Even if you don't believe in Tuukka...Management does.

This young team will move forward with its un-tradable young goaltender. Tuukka will get his shot.

Ending the season was one thing, but prob seeing the last Thomas game in black&gold is really sad. Bruin legend.

I'm glad I'm not Chia having to do the right, but heart-breaking, thing. Its time.

Last edited by GloveSave1: 04-25-2012 at 11:56 PM.
GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

The problem is, by not trading Timmy, you run the risk of Tuukka asking for a trade. Tuukka wants and deserves to be a starter at this level. Yes, Timmy is 38 years old and will retire eventually, but there is a good chance he can pass 40 as a high quality goaltender capable of playing 40-50 games a season.

You have to remember in regards to Tuuka's career, he's 24 now and becomes a FA theoretically at 27. The guy is going to want to start having opportunities to earn the big bucks and become a Bryzgalov type goalie with a long term high end contract. This doesn't mean he's not a team player, guys have to look out for their careers long term. Keeping Thomas as starter hinders this and Tuuka doesn't have those opportunities and may look at getting them elsewhere.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Feh. If Tuukka is that thin-skinned, screw him.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Colt.45Orr

Bring on the Rask era.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:03 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey74 View Post
Clearly Thomas didn't play like he did last year, a lot of soft goals and what not. Not blaming it on him, but do you think that Tuukka comes in as #1 next year?

I think that the Thomas era may be winding down.
Yeah, I would consider it.

He certainly wasn't a problem in this series and his track record speaks for itself, but our offense was a problem, and freeing up $5m to pursue an upgrade is worth considering.

Edit: I also think that if Thomas retired tomorrow, this team would make the playoffs with this coach and this defense. Maybe Rask will never give us a playoff performance like we saw out of Tim Thomas last year, but there's no guarantee Thomas will either, especially as he gets older.

Last edited by PlayMakers: 04-26-2012 at 02:20 AM.
PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:07 AM
GloveSave1
Back in Black

Bare in mind, the idea as a great GM is to trade a guy before his skills go down, not after. At 38 years old, with a young goalie you refused to trade banging on the door, the right time to trade, and the cap savings there's too much pointing to this being it.

Do I think Thomas can possibly be a 42 year old NHL starter? No doubt. He deserves it, and can PROB do it. Just not here. Chia won't risk that with Tuukka primed for his shot.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:08 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Trade Thomas and you'll instantly regret it.
Yep.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
crimsonace

I love Thomas, but he's 38 years old. How much more does he have in him? He's still a top-5 goaltender in the NHL.

Here's the big thing -- and why you see so many "upsets" happen in the playoffs. The NHL is so competitive and so deep right now, the difference between first place and missing the playoffs is only about 12-14 points -- that's 6-7 games out of an 82-game season. It almost takes two solid goaltenders to get you there now.

Other than NYR (who basically has Lundqvist starting every game), the top teams in each conference had two No. 1 goaltenders -- Luongo & Schneider in VAN; Thomas & Rask in BOS; Elliott & Halak in STL. Look at the bottom half of the playoffs and the teams that didn't make it, and it's goaltending depth.

It's not an either/or situation, like it is at, say, starting quarterback in football (and I live in a market where they just cut one of the greatest QBs in history because he's 36 and has an injury history, and have a replacement waiting in the wings who's 15 years younger). Goaltender can be both/and, not either/or.

However, remember that Tuukka is an RFA this year, and TT is a UFA next year (and will be 39). Blow this, and a team with a very bright future loses both of them and we're back to the Dafoe days. A good goaltender is often worth a goal a game -- that's *2* 30-goal scorers over a season.

crimsonace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

It all depends what Tuukka wants.

Personally?

I say trade TT while he still has good value, move forward with Rask.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

What makes you think Thomas has "good value?" By which I think people are instinctively interpreting "good value" as "middle to lower first round caliber return or greater."

Do you think teams don't check his bio and realize he's 38? Do you think a big league GM is going to buy a 38 year old goaltender based on 1 year 2 seasons ago? Sure he's a Cup vet, and it's not impossible that we get maybe some interesting supporting caliber talent for him, but no one's going to trade a star or a top prospect for Timmy.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
What makes you think Thomas has "good value?" By which I think people are instinctively interpreting "good value" as "middle to lower first round caliber return or greater."

Do you think teams don't check his bio and realize he's 38? Do you think a big league GM is going to buy a 38 year old goaltender based on 1 year 2 seasons ago? Sure he's a Cup vet, and it's not impossible that we get maybe some interesting supporting caliber talent for him, but no one's going to trade a star or a top prospect for Timmy.

Patrick Kane for TT

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:28 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Thomas, Peverley, Seidenberg are probably the two players who get a passing grade for this series.
agreed. these three guys played great.

and i love Thomas, but i could definitely see the Bruins trading him. he has one year left but has some value left. maybe to the hawks? they have some interesting players to trade for. i don't think his value is that high but he would get back something useful.

again i love TT and love everything he has done here, it just wouldn't shock me if he was shopped.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Bruinsforlife89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Hell no...Thomas is a much better goalie than Rask. The Bruins will regret trading him for years. As someone said it is kind of a lose/lose situation but I would like to keep winning for at least another year. If Chia has a decent off season and Horton retruns this should be a good team next year, if there is a year. Unfortunately, I am 99.5 percent sure Thomas is gone and it is the end of an era.
Agree 100%.

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
What's the point in keeping Thomas around as a backup to Rask? Khudobin will serve admirably in that role.
Again with that assumption?

How many times does the franchise have to say "We aren't comfortable simply handing the reigns to Rask" before it's going to sink in to you people?

Old
04-26-2012, 12:48 AM
crimsonace

A veteran team or a team that's got a lot of pieces in place that thinks it can make a one or two-year Cup run could make a run for Thomas.

Of course, that also describes the Bruins. But PC could also surmise that Rask could backstop a deep playoff run (he did outduel Ryan Miller in the playoffs two years ago and likely would've backstopped a Finals run if the team in front of him could've pushed a pebble past effin Michael Leighton), Khubodin is a capable backup and this team needs a sniper that could either be acquired in trade, or could be acquired by freeing up the $5mm owed to TT.

Rask is also going to get a nice payday this offseason as an RFA. There's a bit of cap room, but not a ton.

crimsonace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:05 AM
AK37

Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
Thomas gave up a stinker on the game winner in Game 2

Thomas gave up a stinker on the game winner in Game 5

Thomas is gonna be 39

Thomas money can be allocated towards bringing in Zach Parise or Ryan Suter

Thomas was a middle of the pack goalie this year.....15th in GAA and 14th in Save%

Rask is a damn good goalie in his mid 20's

Aside from last year when he played amazing, Thomas has been a mediocre playoff goalie......take last year out of the equation and he has won a grand total of 1 playoff series

I am thankful for what he has done here......but if you can sign Parise or Suter or some other young stud player, you move Thomas....Christ, he'll be 40 next offseason

AK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:07 AM
jmon13

Thomas + Krejci for Patrick Kane? Who says no.

jmon13 is offline   Reply With Quote