Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it Tuukka Time? - all goalie talk here

Old
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
missingchicklet

vCash: 500
Haggerty makes me want to puke. He's unprofessional and his personal beef with Thomas is beyond ridiculous now. He needs to calm down and focus on being a journalist.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
howaryuh

Is it just me, or is Tim Thomas the Dixie Chicks of hockey now?
Who to keep or not should be secondary to getting the PP on the right track. It should depend on how that falls out and you do what you got to do.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
The one thing I will caution is reading rumors and speculation:

ex. "They played well, they are still champions in my eyes" Thomas after game 7 loss

Haggs is spinning Thomas' "they" comments to be Thomas separating himself from the organization.

Murphy is taking Thomas' "they" comments to be Thomas giving his teammates their due and stating that he was proud of them.

Two guys, same line, two different interpretations.
Bob Beers said on Comcast he found TT phrasing really strange.
Beers sounded somewhat irked by it, I was shocked to hear Beers say it.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
patty59

Haggerty is a ****ing tool.

You trade Thomas and we'll talk about what could have been instead of what was.

These type of players don't come around very often, you have to hang on to them.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:11 PM
JOKER 192
Maybe next year

does anyone think TT and Krejci for Nash could work and if so would you do it?

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Bob Beers said on Comcast he found TT phrasing really strange.
Beers sounded somewhat irked by it, I was shocked to hear Beers say it.
Just heard a better clip, that included the question. I guess you could take it either way. IMO Thomas was asked about the Caps keeping the Bruins from advancing and Thomas stated that thoughout all 7 games "they" meaning his teammates battled to the bitter end and that he was proud of "them"

I don't know if Beers heard the whole conference or just the lines or clips that certain "media" members are sharing. CSNNE seems to have a thing in general with Thomas. Girardi is on the Haggs train too. Then again what do they know, Celtics post season starts soon, they are probably happy that the Bruins are out of the way so that all of their Celtics coverage can start up.

Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I still can't be convinced of the downside of keeping TT for his last contract year.

A) 38 year old goalies on expiring contracts aren't likely to garner a haul
B) Tim Thomas is still a top 10 goalie, easily
C) Rask, as much as I love him, has had some health question marks
D) It's not like prior seasons where we needed to consider moving TT to free up space to acquire a big name. We have the space already.
E) Any locker room issues or troubles related to the WH thing are just garbage. The fact folks think it's a real issue among hockey players shocks me. The media loves this stuff and apparently there are enough gullible people to believe it.
Yep, E is 100% accurate. However I speculate TT was totally pissed at PC and his efforts to deal him in 2010.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:18 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
Just heard a better clip, that included the question. I guess you could take it either way. IMO Thomas was asked about the Caps keeping the Bruins from advancing and Thomas stated that thoughout all 7 games "they" meaning his teammates battled to the bitter end and that he was proud of "them"

I don't know if Beers heard the whole conference or just the lines or clips that certain "media" members are sharing. CSNNE seems to have a thing in general with Thomas. Girardi is on the Haggs train too. Then again what do they know, Celtics post season starts soon, they are probably happy that the Bruins are out of the way so that all of their Celtics coverage can start up.
They wont last long.

Old
04-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Bruinsforlife89

Im not sold on Rask myself. He's injury prone and his numbers these past seasons are from playing low ranked teams. Not to mention he went through a 7 game losing streak this past season(yes I realize some games the bruins had some difficulty scoring but a goalie has to steal some games for you).

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
I also agree with Dupont.....Rask has proven very little to me. He had one good season of roughly 54 games and has been mediocre ever since.....

I also watched a fair amount of highlights trying to figure out why my gut gives me the flashing stop sign every time I see him. It is a very simple thing. He neither fights for position around screens nor does he try to square up on the puck. He glides and is often off his angle even for a butterfly goalie.
I actually agree with you which makes me want to give up hfboards for quite some time, but to me TT is the much better bet for success than Rask. That, I believe, is the emotional side of me. I have to think Rask has the potential to be just as strong, but I find myself questioning it. The final thing I have in my head is that TT only has a limited shelf life due to age and if you can deal him for a nice return and get some cap space then maybe you do it. Very, very tough call.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:48 AM
BruinDust

You keep Thomas, it's the safer bet. We've seen before that if Rask is truly playing better and more consistently, he will get more starts and even begin the playoffs, Thomas wants to be in Boston and if Rask goes down long term, you have a great option, without TT to fall back on it could easily be a wasted season if Rask is out long term. There isn't much in the UFA pool that many would be comfortable with starting the playoffs if Rask is out. Worse case you have to make a decision between Khudobin and Thomas the year after, you might get Thomas at that stage to take less to stay in Boston and keep the total salary for goaltenders managable, and if he wants to retire or go elsewhere, bring back Khudobin.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I actually agree with you which makes me want to give up hfboards for quite some time, but to me TT is the much better bet for success than Rask. That, I believe, is the emotional side of me. I have to think Rask has the potential to be just as strong, but I find myself questioning it. The final thing I have in my head is that TT only has a limited shelf life due to age and if you can deal him for a nice return and get some cap space then maybe you do it. Very, very tough call.
Listen to your heart. If Thomas gives you a better chance of legitimately putting another banner up in the Garden, even for one more season. You just don't trade that away. I don't care how much sense it makes cap wise. You cannot buy what he did, teams have tried and failed, nor can anyone expect Tuukka to duplicate it out of the gate. Once TT is gone, he's gone. To me it's a matter of putting a better team in front of him that actually gives him a chance to win. Up to now, it's been the other way around.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Afam*

I agree Haggs is a tool.dude stop responding to my tweets.i ask him an intelligent question and dude goes MIA.he is too full of himself now.I unfollowed his ass.they are many knowledge hockey people to follow than him

Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:52 AM
TobagganCrackle
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Listen to your heart. If Thomas gives you a better chance of legitimately putting another banner up in the Garden, even for one more season. You just don't trade that away. I don't care how much sense it makes cap wise. You cannot buy what he did, teams have tried and failed, nor can anyone expect Tuukka to duplicate it out of the gate. Once TT is gone, he's gone. To me it's a matter of putting a better team in front of him that actually gives him a chance to win. Up to now, it's been the other way around.
The Canucks listened to their heart too. Also another first round exit like boston .

TobagganCrackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobagganCrackle View Post
The Canucks listened to their heart too. Also another first round exit like boston .
The Canucks made their goaltending change ... and it didn't help. Because even with all of their top end talent you can't win when you can't score goals.

Luongo nor Schneider could have done anything for them when it comes to putting the puck in the net.

If this team wants to save "cap" space for a scoring forward how about we trade one of Krejci or Lucic? They were the ones who underperformed.

Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:38 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
OK, then deal Tuukka.

It is time for the team to make a chance. Having arguable the best backup goalie in the league doesn't really help you out all that much, it gives you a few extra points in the regular season, and then does nothing to help you in the postseason.

if the goal is to keep Timmy and try to maximize the chances to win the next 2-3 years, then do that.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
MTaylorJ1

I've definitely stated this before in other threads, but I doubt PC has a definitive answer as to which of the 3 goaltenders is moving to be honest.

If you need the cap space for a Parise, then Thomas likely moves.

If Rask is looking for a monster starter type contract, they might look to see if they can get something significant for him and go with Thomas and Kazakh-Thomas.

If nothing significant materializes to use the cap space, the could even keep all 3 and wait until the deadline or later to make a decision.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Bridges31

Glad to see that the media is probably going to get their way in chasing Thomas out of town.

I can't wait to root for whatever team he gets traded to. Hopefully he wins another cup.

The vendetta by the Boston media, specifically Haggs is disgusting. The "articles" being written aren't good enough for even my dog to piss on.

Last edited by Bridges31: 04-27-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: too early in the morning. can't word things right :)
Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:01 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Glad to see that the media is probably going to get their way in chasing Thomas out of town.

I can't wait to root for whatever team he gets traded to. Hopefully he wins another cup.

The vendetta by the Boston media, specifically Haggs is disgusting. The "articles" being written are too good for even my dog to piss on.
Chiarelli is too calculating to let the media run someone out of town for him. Now, he may let the media backlash on stuff cover a move he already wanted to make for hockey reasons, but I don't see anyway that he'd move Thomas just because of the off-ice stuff.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post

The vendetta by the Boston media, specifically Haggs is disgusting. The "articles" being written aren't good enough for even my dog to piss on.
We have absolutely no knowledge of what are the repercussions of the WH snub and the comments Thomas made about the lack of offense. I think it's reasonable to say that some players might hold a grunge against Thomas but again, it's pure speculations whatever it's us or the media. The Media will not drive Thomas out of town. Cap considérations and team's evaluation of Rask being ready to be a #1 will.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
We have absolutely no knowledge of what are the repercussions of the WH snub and the comments Thomas made about the lack of offense.
There have been plenty of direct quotes from players as well as anecdotal information that indicates, to me anyway, that there is nothing bad in the locker room over this. Nothing.

You and the media can try to make more of this all you want, but just like splashing water in a pail with your hand, as soon as you stop everything calms down.

Because there's nothing there.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Potential Twitter beef going on regarding Thomas.

Haggerty vs. Bean

ding ding ding

and Haggerty adds this because he thinks hes sweet

Joe Haggerty ‏ @HackswithHaggs Close
@DJ_Bean @DanCagen That was only a couple of them...how about other 5 or 6? No offense, DJ, but you dont know whole story of whats going on

Glad Haggerty is in Chiarelli's office
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
The 2012 smear campaign, presented to you by Haggerty, Dupont and Fluto.

If anyone watched CSNNE last night, Felger had Dave Goucher on and they discussed a number of B's topics, including Thomas.

I am paraphrasing here, but Felger said something along the lines of not being able to see the B's dealing Thomas over one incident (White House). Goucher agreed, but then quickly added that there has been more than one incident and it has gone on for awhile now.

I have no idea what Goucher is referring to, but I have never seen any evidence that he has any sort of personal agenda against Thomas. Plus, he just doesn't strike me as a guy that makes things up. Typically, when fans here or see one incident (like Manny shoving down the Sox traveling secretary), there are usually a lot of other things that have happened behind closed doors that never get out.

That being said, I'm not in favor of trading Thomas because of his political leanings, nor due to his rumored selfishness. For me, it's about getting value for a guy on the last year of his contract and transitioning over to a younger goalie that when healthy, has shown he can dominate in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
So the best course of action is to trade away the better goaltender so the other one, who is coming off an injury and hasn't played a game since his injury, can get more playing time and not get injured again?
I'm not sure?

Is the best course of action to hold onto a 38 yr old goalie for one year too long, potentially alienating your 24 yr old RFA franchise goalie to be, and losing Khudobin on waivers?

Thomas WAS the better goalie last year for sure, but this year, and going forward?? That's highly debatable.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Chiarelli is too calculating to let the media run someone out of town for him. Now, he may let the media backlash on stuff cover a move he already wanted to make for hockey reasons, but I don't see anyway that he'd move Thomas just because of the off-ice stuff.
Agreed...unless there is more that has happened that we don't know about.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:52 AM
hoss75

Haggs should have his own show on the Bravo network. His second hand gossip and trying to read meaning into things that just don't have any would fit in perfectly on the shows my GF watches.
Real Housewives have nothing on Haggerty.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote