HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Legend of Korra

Old
05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I don't think "I propose we remove bending powers from just the 'bad guys'" is much of a realistic or possible solution from their POV. Isn't their whole point that bending itself is a threat that oppresses non-benders? Considering even the ******* [it's ridiculous that the alternative to gosh-darn is censored] Avatar was abusing her powers and pushing around the people in protest just because she can, I still think it's hard to argue with. And he seems to be doing it in a way that avoids there being a war.

It's not like he's proposed to kill them or anything. I'm sure he'll get worse as the series goes, but so far he hasn't done much more than the equivalent of threatening to take everyone's guns because guns are dangerous (well, sort of-- there are other uses sure, but it seems to be primarily a weapon).
I think that's what makes this character way, way more interesting than the fire lord ever was. I don't think any villian will be able to beat the depth of Zuko (villian for a little while at least), but there obviously seems to be much more to Amon that has yet to be revealed. I think there is something far more sinister behind Amon's plot. Love the name Amon; the king of all Egyptian gods.

I agree and disagree with some of your points though. I personally think that his movement is racist in nature, especially since benders are born; it's a biological birth right for them. Wipping out their ability to bend would be no different than if some KKK members or the Black Panther groups had a serum that could change a person's skin color, and they were going to administer it to the people that were "oppressing them".

I agree though, that benders have so far been shown as oppresses, though I am not sure if that was intentional. I think the one thing that the show has so far failed in conveying is showing benders in a more positive light, what has bending done for society or republic city, besides being founded by the avatar?

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
I don't think "I propose we remove bending powers from just the 'bad guys'" is much of a realistic or possible solution from their POV. Isn't their whole point that bending itself is a threat that oppresses non-benders? Considering even the ******* [it's ridiculous that the alternative to gosh-darn is censored] Avatar was abusing her powers and pushing around the people in protest just because she can, I still think it's hard to argue with. And he seems to be doing it in a way that avoids there being a war.

It's not like he's proposed to kill them or anything. I'm sure he'll get worse as the series goes, but so far he hasn't done much more than the equivalent of threatening to take everyone's guns because guns are dangerous (well, sort of-- there are other uses sure, but it seems to be primarily a weapon).
They haven't delved too much into the politics of Republic City. All we know is the council is made up of benders. The only example you see of bender oppression is from some crooks who just used bending power over guns or other weapons as a means of strong arming citizens.

Korra being a brash young adult with avatar power is making missteps that makes benders look bad, but then she's coerced into joining the squad that goes after Amon and there seems to be a positive support of this group.

It's just hard to really see him as more than just a guy going for a power grab by eliminating the biggest threat to him which is bending. There are people sympathetic to his cause, but there's little example of why they support him.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
This episode...

Was still amazing though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:34 PM
whiplash

Quote:

Protip: put a god damned space in there

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:15 PM
The Beyonder

Loving the series so far. The last episode was awesome!

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Shareefruck

It's still missing that spark that the last series had, so far.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

damn things got interesting but the last episode was sort of meh for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Show is pretty awesome so far.

LOL I love the first one!

06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

The last episode was kind of slow. But I was still impressed:

Spoil:
I thought I had Tarlok pegged as an opportunist who was simply using Amon as an excuse to consolidate his position with his task force. But judging from his reaction when Korra accused him as being "worse than Amon", I would bet that Tarlok really, really hates Amon on a personal level, and legitimately wants to see him brought down, any means necessary.

And Amon knows this fact, and is using Tarlok to his advantage.

Really starting to pick up... I'm excited for the next episode. Also:

Spoil:
In the flashback, was Yakone using Bloodbending on Aang? It looked like Aang was struggling to reach out to him while Yakone was just laughing...

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
The last episode was kind of slow. But I was still impressed:

Spoil:
I thought I had Tarlok pegged as an opportunist who was simply using Amon as an excuse to consolidate his position with his task force. But judging from his reaction when Korra accused him as being "worse than Amon", I would bet that Tarlok really, really hates Amon on a personal level, and legitimately wants to see him brought down, any means necessary.

And Amon knows this fact, and is using Tarlok to his advantage.

Really starting to pick up... I'm excited for the next episode. Also:

Spoil:
In the flashback, was Yakone using Bloodbending on Aang? It looked like Aang was struggling to reach out to him while Yakone was just laughing...
Spoil:
there is definitely some back story behind tarlok, i think amon is a different character entirely. It could be very possible Yakone is Tarlok's father or something, and Yakone is responsible for Amon's misery? Definitely should be more clear this weekend hopefully.

I definitely like the steampunk theme to the story, pretty awesome.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 04:56 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

My DVR has managed to delete the last two episodes before I could watch them.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
My DVR has managed to delete the last two episodes before I could watch them.
check pm.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Is eppi 9 up? I watched all 8 episodes on Sunday. Really enjoying it so far.

edit

Damn, 6/9/2012 for the next episode...

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

its up now. btw i realized something, yakone is a homage to al capone.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

well I will say this my guess bang on regarding Tarlok but anyways it was an interesting episode.

Next time it should be the one hour season finale.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
chasespace

Finale this week. I'm bummed, I want it to keep going.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Sucks that the first season is almost over.

The writers could easily do more than the 24 episodes they currently have. Now as much as series 1, but more than 24...

Old
06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

The season finale was today. It was pretty amazing, though I have three complaints:

First, the Amon reveal was completely out of left field. I would have appreciated it if they had built up to it a bit more.

Second, it was simply too short. I blame Nickelodeon for this one. They could have easily stretched this 12 episode season into 24 episodes. There are several plotlines left out (whatever happened to Bo Lin and Korra??).

Thirdly

Spoil:
They wrapped up this story arc completely. Amon is dead, Tarlok is dead, all the benders have their bending back, Korra is a fully realized avatar. I was hoping that, with the revelation that Amon is a master waterbender, Korra would spend the second season chasing after him (and we could get a Zuko on the run feel for Amon as he ran from Korra), but that isn't going to happen.

As a solace, I guess this means they have something cool planned for the second season, though I can't really see where they can go.

Basically, it was too short and ended too abruptly. I blame Nickelodeon.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:04 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:

Basically, it was too short and ended too abruptly. I blame Nickelodeon.
Yep. I agree with you.

Spoil:
They could have gotten into Amon more. He was like the Zukko of this series and could have explained his motives more from his POV than having Tarlock explain it. A good episode could have been spent, even two, on how Natika or how ever you spell it, became Amon.

Yes Bolin and Korra should have gone more in-depth as well.

I think the ending could've been also spent on a little longer. Korra getting into the spirit world etc.

Man, I hate shows like this. I mean I don't want it to drag on so long its at the point where I can't stand the show and its repetitive but I hate shows that are so short they don't go indepth more.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Shareefruck

The show has a beautiful layer of polish in terms of music and animation, but it isn't nearly as good as the first series (even the first season alone, which I remembered being significantly weaker than the rest of the series).

I hate the love triangle-- The finale was fine, but it had way too many Deus Ex Machinas. I actually liked the Tarlok and Amon angle, right down to the conclusion of it.

Iroh having Zuko's identical pre-teen voice reminded me of that Construction worker in The Simpsons who had Bart's voice.

Best moment of the season was Lin getting her powers taken away. Worst was that god-awful episode with the back and forth love triangle.

The action choreography is better than ever.

Mako is an awful, hollow character force-fed with leading-man screen-time until you just want to pull your hair out.

It seems weird to me to completely tie up all the loose ends after one season. Anyone that can even remotely be a threat is dead, Korra's basically got the entire Avatar thing covered now, and even that stupid love triangle is resolved. They have no choice but to start over completely next season, which is kind of a weird approach for an ongoing series.

Also, it's kind of weird that while the charm of the first series was that it was legitimately a children's cartoon treated with care, respect, great storytelling/characters and fun wit, this series feels like it would be completely alienating and inappropriate for a kid to watch. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad show, but It kind of feels like just another Anime now.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 06-23-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

If they cut out the love triangle and instead focused on Amon vs. Korra, then the series would have been a lot better.

Take away that episode, and devote another episode to the Republic City Battle.

Spoil:
Show something happening between when they signal the fleet and when they first arrive. What Amon is doing, the group vs. Chi Blockers, something.

If all you're going to do is develop the triangle to Asami pouting a bit and making it painfully obvious who Mako is going to chose, I don't see why they would bother including it.

It brought nothing to the show. Maybe if Asami had been driven back to the Equalists, or Bo Lin had turned in Korra and his brother out of spite or something interesting, but it added nothing to the show.

In the First series, Aang's love for Katara forced Aang to abandon OP'ness and nearly doomed the world to the Fire Nation (as well as providing a convenient excuse as to why Aang had to spend 15 out of 20 minutes fighting the Firelord without Avatar State).

Giving 2 episodes to the actual battle for the City was a real shame in a series that was a bit starved for action.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 06-23-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
If they cut out the love triangle and instead focused on Amon vs. Korra, then the series would have been a lot better.

Take away that episode, and devote another episode to the Republic City Battle.

Spoil:
Show something happening between when they signal the fleet and when they first arrive. What Amon is doing, the group vs. Chi Blockers, something.

If all you're going to do is develop the triangle to Asami pouting a bit and making it painfully obvious who Mako is going to chose, I don't see why they would bother including it.

It brought nothing to the show. Maybe if Asami had been driven back to the Equalists, or Bo Lin had turned in Korra and his brother out of spite or something interesting, but it added nothing to the show.

In the First series, Aang's love for Katara forced Aang to abandon OP'ness and nearly doomed the world to the Fire Nation (as well as providing a convenient excuse as to why Aang had to spend 15 out of 20 minutes fighting the Firelord without Avatar State).

Giving 2 episodes to the actual battle for the City was a real shame in a series that was a bit starved for action.
Well, to be honest, I disagree with this too-- there was more than enough action, and really well done action too. It's the rest of the show that bothers me-- the pacing, the writing, the development/story, the hollow characters, etc.

The show felt kinda of like a never-ending string of action choreography, love triangle stuff, dramatic Amon stuff/cliffhangers, and gags that weren't all that great, all of it coming together a little bit flat, IMO. I ended up just not caring very much about anything. In a way, the nice and polished combination of music and action almost sort of makes it half-worthwhile, but I was a little disappointed.

Old
06-26-2012, 04:41 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Well I finally watched the finale today. I enjoyed it but I agree they cut it wayyy to short.
Spoil:

As for the Amon Angle, I think he is alive and well, you have to remember, his bending isn't gone, even if Tarlok explodes the boat, I'd say he'll still survive. However I do think there is something that tells me he was driven by, a powerful character or somewhat, not his father. So I'd assume that's the angle they are going to go with in the second season.

I do agree though the season ended way to abruptly. The seriousness isn't there. Then again it was also the case in the first one of the original series, I'm willing to give it a shot. I am however curious on how the girl who isn't a bender ends up being like. He reminds me Sokka quite a bit but with Mako on her side.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Well I finally watched the finale today. I enjoyed it but I agree they cut it wayyy to short.
Spoil:

As for the Amon Angle, I think he is alive and well, you have to remember, his bending isn't gone, even if Tarlok explodes the boat, I'd say he'll still survive. However I do think there is something that tells me he was driven by, a powerful character or somewhat, not his father. So I'd assume that's the angle they are going to go with in the second season.

I do agree though the season ended way to abruptly. The seriousness isn't there. Then again it was also the case in the first one of the original series, I'm willing to give it a shot. I am however curious on how the girl who isn't a bender ends up being like. He reminds me Sokka quite a bit but with Mako on her side.

Ughh... If people thought Lin getting her powers back completely made the previous moment meaningless, Amon surviving after that dramatic moment would be a downright travesty.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

LoK Renewed through season 4.

Quote:
Yes indeed, it's a good time to be an Avatar fan. Comic-Con's The Legend of Korra panel kicked things off with an emotionally sweeping montage of all the best moments from Season 1 -- which was, naturally, met with thunderous cheers and applause throughout. The Ballroom 20 crowd was packed with Korra fans of all ages, from kids with arrowhead ball caps to fully grown Amon cosplayers.

First, though, some big news: The Legend of Korra has just been picked up for 26 additional episodes, which brings the series tally to 52 episodes spread across four books total. It was also revealed that Book Two will be called Spirits and picks up six months after the end of Season 1.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/1...eases-season-2

Old
07-18-2012, 05:02 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Good thing they picked the show up for a full run now.

Excited for better pacing and character development in the new season.