HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

All-Purpose Luongo Thread - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
All-Purpose Luongo Thread - Part V

Last one over 1000....

04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Thanks Y2k.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Proto

From last thread:

If they start Schneider after Luongo was the only guy to give an effort, I think Luongo has played his last game in Vancouver. I also think that's what Gillis and AV probably want moving forward, so it would be a win-win for the franchise, I guess.

I think it's unfortunate, but I also think AV has always had Luongo as his own personal scapegoat (he sure doesn't defend him like most coaches with a HOF goalie would) for his inability to get this team where it needs to be.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
From last thread:

If they start Schneider after Luongo was the only guy to give an effort, I think Luongo has played his last game in Vancouver. I also think that's what Gillis and AV probably want moving forward, so it would be a win-win for the franchise, I guess.

I think it's unfortunate, but I also think AV has always had Luongo as his own personal scapegoat (he sure doesn't defend him like most coaches with a HOF goalie would) for his inability to get this team where it needs to be.
I tend to agree with you. He has never had much support from AV, at least compared to what I've seen from other coaches for their #1 goalie, and benching him after he's been the best Canuck is the equivalent of asking him for a trade.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I tend to agree with you. He has never had much support from AV, at least compared to what I've seen from other coaches for their #1 goalie, and benching him after he's been the best Canuck is the equivalent of asking him for a trade.
Yes, if they go with Schneider that's how I would read it. There are a lot of reasons to go in the direction of Schneider (age, contract flexibility, etc.), but this would be a pretty pathetic way to do it in my opinion.

In a market like Vancouver I think the Canucks would benefit from a coach that would stand up for his players more. I actually really wanted the Canucks to fire AV after the Chicago series two years ago and hire Torts. I think Torts has his warts, but I really like the guy. One second he'll be ripping his players and holding them accountable, but if someone else does it he's at their throat defending his guys to the death. In a market like Vancouver that plays and plays large.

Guess we'll see what happens. Based on all the "gut feelings" from reporters though, I have to think they have heard that there is a probably goaltending change. If there isn't, I hope it pisses Luongo off and he keeps up his solid effort.

Old
04-14-2012, 01:44 PM
VanEric

I said a few weeks ago that they've been setting this up all season but we have to wait and see who plays first.

Old
04-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Proto

AV has made his decision on who's starting but hasn't told them yet. Interesting phrase. I can't imagine he'd make that comment if Luongo was starting, but I guess we'll find out.

Last edited by Proto: 04-14-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 03:03 PM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
doesn't really matter what "AV wants going forward", if we don't come back to win this series, he'd probably be shipped out before luongo

Old
04-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Rocky-

Luongo is a good goalie- not a great goalie. Does not make the saves he needs to when he needs to enough of the time. Has some great games- blown many when it's on the line many years in a row. Bottom line- he needs to go or Gillis and/or Vigneault needs to go.

Old
04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Hoopdreams

That's a stupid comment. Luongo's been our best player these 2 games, and he's been our best player all year.
Without him we don't have a 2nd presidents trophy, and we lose the first 2 games by a lot more than we did.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I said a few weeks ago that they've been setting this up all season but we have to wait and see who plays first.
Setting what up? Losing the first two games with Luongo so that they can come back with Schneider and win the series?

Highly doubt the players or management decided to purposely lose so they could run Luongo out of town.

Old
04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky- View Post
Luongo is a good goalie- not a great goalie. Does not make the saves he needs to when he needs to enough of the time. Has some great games- blown many when it's on the line many years in a row. Bottom line- he needs to go or Gillis and/or Vigneault needs to go.
Not a fan of watching the games I see? Luongo has made plenty of big saves to keep us in the game

Old
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky- View Post
hes actually a pretty great goalie. perhaps you should rephrase

Old
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
You know its a terrible situation where even I'm feeling bad for Luongo.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
hes actually a pretty great goalie. perhaps you should rephrase
Rephrasing- he's been great at times- but he has faltered in the playoffs too often. Time to go with Schneider. Every goalie gives up bad goals every one. The problem I see with Luongo is every year he hasn't been what they needed him to be. Some real stinker games. He is well paid to win. He's a nice guy for sure. I just think Schneider gives the Canucks their best chance to win a Cup. Luongo's had his chances. He certainly isn't stealing wins.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopdreams View Post
That's a stupid comment. Luongo's been our best player these 2 games, and he's been our best player all year.
Without him we don't have a 2nd presidents trophy, and we lose the first 2 games by a lot more than we did.
I didn't see him as our best player all year- and not in game 2.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Rocky-

Let's look at Schneider Vs. Luongo.
55 games Luongo 127 goals against 2.41 ave. 31 wins .919 %
33 Schneider 60 goals against 1.96 ave. 20 wins .937 %.
I'd rather keep Schneider. We will regret it if we don't.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Lindt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopdreams View Post
Why does everyone keep saying this? Game 1 - absolutely. Game 2 - no. Put the exact same goalie on both teams in Game 2 and the outcome is the same or better for the Canucks.

As for the regular season, that's another bold statement to make, given Luongo's usual horrendous start and Schneider's consistent outperformance. 12th and 15th in the league in GAA and SV% is average. Maybe an increased workload if Schneider was the starter would impact his performance, but maybe it wouldn't. To say Luongo is the reason we won the President's Trophy is funny. He was a key component, but not the only reason. Various members of the team stepped up at different times, including Schneider, Sedin, Higgins, and the defense. The trophy was earned as a team.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not a fan of watching the games I see? Luongo has made plenty of big saves to keep us in the game
10 great saves don't make up for one bad goal in hockey. He's let in 3 in this series.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Carl Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
10 great saves don't make up for one bad goal in hockey. He's let in 3 in this series.
I honestly don't care who plays, I just want to win. If luongo plays game 3 and does well but they lose, you have to try Cory in game 4 just to try and wake the team up.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Lindt

It might not be completely accurate, but when they're on the same team comparing stats as well as their play and composure on the ice is probably a safe way to go. Watching all their games, I think virtually everyone (except y2kcanucks) would say that either both goalies have looked equally good throughout the year, or Schneider has looked better.

Luongo hasn't been bad this year - he's been relatively solid. Schneider has been spectacular and more consistent. Bottom line - he lets in almost 0.5 goals per game less than Luongo, his SV% is .018 higher than Luongo and his winning % is 69% compared to Luongo's 58%.

For whatever reason (he's better, healthier, team plays better in front of him, etc. etc.) Schneider has shown over the last two years that he gives his team a better chance to win than Luongo. This is not disputable.

We need a win. Isn't it time we play the odds?

Old
04-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
It might not be completely accurate, but when they're on the same team comparing stats as well as their play and composure on the ice is probably a safe way to go. Watching all their games, I think virtually everyone (except y2kcanucks) would say that either both goalies have looked equally good throughout the year, or Schneider has looked better.

Luongo hasn't been bad this year - he's been relatively solid. Schneider has been spectacular and more consistent. Bottom line - he lets in almost 0.5 goals per game less than Luongo, his SV% is .018 higher than Luongo and his winning % is 69% compared to Luongo's 58%.

For whatever reason (he's better, healthier, team plays better in front of him, etc. etc.) Schneider has shown over the last two years that he gives his team a better chance to win than Luongo. This is not disputable.

Exactly. Time to play Schneider. I don't question Luongo is a nice guy or he is a good goalie- but great? He makes great saves, so do all goalies. He lets in bad ones Schneider does too so do all goalies but stats don't lie. Luongo is paid to win- he hasn't so far after a number of playoff years with the Canucks and isn't stealing games so time for change. I can see a future Stanley Cup with Schneider. I don't see that with Luongo.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:00 PM
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post

As has been said before... this is Bledsoe/Brady, incumbent star OR up and coming star who could just be better.

Bledsoe was injured/ineffective and Brady came in, won the playoff game and went on to lead the Patriots to the Super Bowl. Bledsoe was traded in the off season and Brady has gone on to establish himself as potentially the greatest NFL QB of all time.

So... is Schneider Tom Brady? Not sure...

It's a helluva gamble though as the connotations brought on by playing him get really convoluted on both sides, good and bad.

I still think Luongo starts tomorrow...

Old
04-14-2012, 09:21 PM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

If Luongo was to make a list of teams that he would be willing to be traded to, what do you guys think that list would be?

Panthers
Lightning

I'm not really sure what the list would look like to be honest, I'm just guessing, anyone else have any potential team lists he might make?

Old
04-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
If Luongo was to make a list of teams that he would be willing to be traded to, what do you guys think that list would be?

Panthers
Lightning

I'm not really sure what the list would look like to be honest, I'm just guessing, anyone else have any potential team lists he might make?
Need to ask his wife.

Closed Thread