HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo has asked for trade. UPD: Leafs, Hawks, Panthers and Lightning on his list

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 02:33 AM
willferrell
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
Can you provide a link please to the quote?
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lu...255/story.html

Old
04-26-2012, 02:38 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I will laugh at each and every Luongo hater when he wins a Cup before we do.
good luck with that.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:39 AM
KISSland

I honestly think to the right team there will be a bidding war. Luongo is still considered to be a top goalie. And one that will continue to perform by the age of 36-38. I really do think we'll get some good assets in return. The goalie market out there is terrible. Luongo is the best option there is out there that's available. Teams that want to make the playoffs or win a cup will be at our front door step. Gillis is no fool, he will not trade an asset when his stock is low. The good thing about Luongo is his track record speaks for himself. I know the management in teams is brighter than some of the idiots thinking they can get him for ohlund and a 2nd, or Lombardi and a 2nd.. Keep dreaming.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:41 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
good luck with that.
If he goes to a team like Tampa Bay, I wouldn't pass that notion. He can very well win a cup elsewhere before he wins one here. Tampa bay is a couple UFA defenceman signings and a goalie away from being a contender.

With Luongo on their team along with Stamkos, St Louis, Lecavalier, Hedman that's an excellent core.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:45 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
If he goes to a team like Tampa Bay, I wouldn't pass that notion. He can very well win a cup elsewhere before he wins one here. Tampa bay is a couple UFA defenceman signings and a goalie away from being a contender.

With Luongo on their team along with Stamkos, St Louis, Lecavalier, Hedman that's an excellent core.
He's going to be playing behind a much worse defense than ours and has to play teams like Philly and Boston. The latter being one of the 3 or 4 "house of horrors" arenas where he melts down.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:45 AM
CanadianPirate

Another thing that people who think Loungo won't fetch very much forget is his potential value to teams with an internal budget. As his contract goes on his cap hit begins to outweigh his actual salary. For a team attempting to hit the salary cap floor that could be very valuable.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:52 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPirate View Post
Another thing that people who think Loungo won't fetch very much forget is his potential value to teams with an internal budget. As his contract goes on his cap hit begins to outweigh his actual salary. For a team attempting to hit the salary cap floor that could be very valuable.
That's about 5 years down the road when he gets traded from whatever team he's currently on now.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:54 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
That's about 5 years down the road when he gets traded from whatever team he's currently on now.
True but it could be a consideration for those kinds of teams.

Old
04-26-2012, 02:59 AM
KISSland

Quote:
He's going to be playing behind a much worse defense than ours and has to play teams like Philly and Boston. The latter being one of the 3 or 4 "house of horrors" arenas where he melts down.
We'll see how the team looks like in the off season. I agree it could potentially be worse, but it could get better.

One thing for sure is that unlike Vancouver, Tampa Bays offense(and G) can carry the team in the playoffs and win a couple series almost won against Boston too.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
It's not that simple. Canucks do absolutely nothing to make life easy on Luongo, they don't block a ton of shots, they don't collapse to the net, they don't clear rebounds all that well, they don't tie up sticks all that well, etc. As a blocking goalie Luongo will find it easier to play behind a defense like Toronto with Carlyle's system in place (he would be a perfect fit, in fact) and even Tampa Bay with Boucher will likely implement a defensive strategy to suit his style of play.

If anything, we might see Luongo post career numbers once he leaves Vancouver and goes to a team that will try to build around him (like we did his first year here). He's a better goalie now than he was in his first season here — he has better butterfly technique, his glove is even better than it was then, he's more capable of making 2nd and 3rd saves without needing to scramble, his mental game is better, I could go on and on.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-26-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old
04-26-2012, 03:05 AM
sticknrink

Gillis is leaking this to create a bidding war. Once fans get involved, the pressure to make s deal for lou increases.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:17 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Gillis is leaking this to create a bidding war. Once fans get involved, the pressure to makes deal for lou increases.
But there would only be a bidding war if Luongo didn't have a NTC. Unless he's willing to expand on his list of teams, leaking information won't help. Gillis also isn't a leaky GM. We never know who he's going to trade for!

[edit] Thanks Tiranis for pointing that out. NTC!

Old
04-26-2012, 03:18 AM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Luongo's contract is a steal, the money is front-loaded and a lot of it is already paid out. Near the end, he'll have the same cap hit, but he won't be paid that in real $'s. That's perfect for a team trying to hit cap floor. You know what you're going to get from Luongo, a consistent .913+ guy with a career .919 . Acquire Luongo, and your net problems are solved for several seasons.

What are the Canucks going to end up paying Schneider? I'll bet it's close to Luongo $'s, without the cap circumvention built in.
This is just FUD.

No way Schn. gets 5.5! Likely 2.5 for a few years before increasing. No gosltender in recent history had an increase like that.

Arent you an oiler fan ?

Old
04-26-2012, 03:18 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
But there would only be a bidding war if Luongo didn't have a NMC. Unless he's willing to expand on his list of teams, leaking information won't help. Gillis also isn't a leaky GM. We never know who he's going to trade for!
He has an NTC. Part of the reason why Luongo is so eager to get the Canucks a list and make it a list they can work with is because he can be waived and then every single team in the league will get a crack at him, starting with Columbus unless I'm mistaken.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:19 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If anything, we might see Luongo post career numbers once he leaves Vancouver and goes to a team that will try to build around him (like we did his first year here). He's a better goalie now than he was in his first season here he has better butterfly technique, his glove is even better than it was then, he's more capable of making 2nd and 3rd saves without needing to scramble, his mental game is better, I could go on and on.
I dont see him having that mental edge like he did when he first came here. Lots of miles on that guy already.

And for the record, I'd be totally fine with trading Schneider for a solid return and keeping Lu.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:26 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
He has an NTC. Part of the reason why Luongo is so eager to get the Canucks a list and make it a list they can work with is because he can be waived and then every single team in the league will get a crack at him, starting with Columbus unless I'm mistaken.
Interesting, never thought of that. Would the Canucks even consider losing Luongo for nothing? (although the cap space would be valuable) And also doesn't sound like what Gillis would do. It would make him such a villain: Give me more teams on your list or else you're going to Columbus!

Old
04-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
hmm...never thought of that. Would the Canucks even consider losing Luongo for nothing? (although the cap space would be valuable)
I don't think it will come to that so it's just speculation, but if he was an ******* about making a list (like picking teams that don't need goaltending) then the team would obviously consider it. I think what we've seen from Luongo during his whole time here is that he's a complete professional and as such I believe that he will give the Canucks a list that will allow them to have a strong bargaining position while satisfying his needs. He even said as much in his exit interview.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:33 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
I don't think it will come to that so it's just speculation, but if he was an ******* about making a list (like picking teams that don't need goaltending) then the team would obviously consider it. I think what we've seen from Luongo during his whole time here is that he's a complete professional and as such I believe that he will give the Canucks a list that will allow them to have a strong bargaining position while satisfying his needs. He even said as much in his exit interview.
ah ic. Agreed, Luongo has been such a professional (especially this last season) and as such his potential departure should be treated as such. And like I said in my edited post above, Gillis is all about dealing with these situations professionally.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:37 AM
Vajakki

I can understand Toronto because of Nonis, Allaire and being close to Montreal. Otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense. The pressure and media is even worse there especially with the team being so bad. Luongo probably won't admit it as a problem though.

The biggest problem is IMO the Leafs don't really have anything the Canucks would want if they want to keep that 5th pick.

One thing that could happen on the side is Raymond and Kulemin switching teams, if Luongo ended up in Toronto for some reason.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:41 AM
David71

so we now know toronto and tampa are on his list. what other teams might be on luongo's radar. forget florida. they have markstrom.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:44 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
I'm not so sure we're in the greatest position when it comes to dealing Lu. Unless a bidding war erupts, we may end up having to settle for less than we think.
They may not be in the greatest position in terms of teams realizing that they are forced to deal at least one of their goaltenders. However, in my opinion that's overthinking it. Both Luongo and Schneider are great goalies and more than a few NHL teams are going to want to get their hands on one of them while they are made available to the market.

It's not everyday that a top 10 (arguably top 5) goalie hits the open market. I think there will be more than a handful of teams competing to win his services.

Last edited by B-rock: 04-26-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old
04-26-2012, 03:45 AM
theripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
so we now know toronto and tampa are on his list. what other teams might be on luongo's radar. forget florida. they have markstrom.
chicago. im not joking. hes friends with kane and toews,and patrick sharp .chicago is desperately in need of a goalie too.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:51 AM
David71

edmonton oilers...

Old
04-26-2012, 03:53 AM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
I can understand Toronto because of Nonis, Allaire and being close to Montreal. Otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense. The pressure and media is even worse there especially with the team being so bad. Luongo probably won't admit it as a problem though.

The biggest problem is IMO the Leafs don't really have anything the Canucks would want if they want to keep that 5th pick.

One thing that could happen on the side is Raymond and Kulemin switching teams, if Luongo ended up in Toronto for some reason.
Its Burke.

That 5th is probably on the table.

Old
04-26-2012, 04:03 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
edmonton oilers...
Luongo wants to be part of something special there.

Closed Thread