HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo has asked for trade. UPD: Leafs, Hawks, Panthers and Lightning on his list

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Carl Carlson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Why are lou fans so dramatic and sensitive about him its utterly absurd, I typically thought when i was on the cdc they were mostly hormonal women who loved him.

Im guessing he wanted out because he felt cory was going to take his spot, and he needed to move on.

He will be missed, but this a business, its best for both parties to move on.
Exactly. Some fans are too attached emotionally. You have to appreciate what Luongo did but you also have to realize that Cory has played well over the past year and with him being younger and cheaper its a smart hockey decision IMO.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

reggie miller's house was burned to the ground. that's mistreatment by the fans. i don't think lou getting booed here and there counts.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
My exact thoughts on Kipper. When is he right? I listen to Leafs Lunch on Sirius every now and then when nothing else is on and I gotta tell you, nothing more than a blow hard looking for a headline, add to that his hatred for the Canucks and wala!
yeah 'trade demand" talk does nothing but diminsh Gillis' options ....screw you Kyper

Old
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Lol. The stupidity of many Canuck fans and media led to this. You don't boo your starting goalie a week before the playoffs, especially when a lot of those goals against we're the result of the **** team in front of him. And the double standard people have with Luongo and every other goalie in the league.
They cheered when the backup came in that night because the team was playing like garbage that night, Luongo included.

You have emotional fans. They boo, but they also cheer and chant his name all of the time. You take the good with the bad.

His hate on the boards goes too far sometimes, but I don't see how you being just as crazed on the other side of the issue is any better.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
He's a year removed from a finals appearance with the core. I think this is brought on by irreconcilable differences with management, not a comment on the core.
He's a year removed from carrying this team to game 7 of the Cup finals behind the worst offensive support since the lockout.

04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Wildweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Why are lou fans so dramatic and sensitive about him its utterly absurd, I typically thought when i was on the cdc they were mostly hormonal women who loved him.

Im guessing he wanted out because he felt cory was going to take his spot, and he needed to move on.

He will be missed, but this a business, its best for both parties to move on.
That's so glib and dismissive. Sure, we all wish he brought us a Stanley Cup, but it didn't work out that way. The reason why a cup means do much is because its so hard to win! Let's not forget, he's an elite athlete (top 5 goaltender in the world) who signed two contracts to stay here when he could've gone anywhere else. He's not above criticism, but you can't say he wasn't always committed to this city and the team.

He got outplayed by someone younger and maybe better, so now he's going to go somewhere else. That's the nature of the beast. Even though I'm a Schneider supporter and I think he's better for the team going forward, I'm still sad to see Lou go out like this. The way we treated Luongo will not be looked upon fondly around the league or from future generations of Canuck fans because at the end of the day, Luongo treated Vancouver far better than Vancouver treated him.

I hope he does well wherever he goes. I'll be cheering for him no matter what.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Canucker

Poor professional athletes....make millions of dollars to play a game they love but have to endure some jeers and negativity sometimes...how do they cope? Anyone have a spare cross they can nail Luongo to?

Old
04-26-2012, 10:17 AM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
he's more capable of making 2nd and 3rd saves without needing to scramble, his mental game is better, I could go on and on.
It's pretty tough to scramble and make a 2nd & 3rd save when your either on your stomach, or back, after stopping shot one. The mental aspect of his game I would argue is far worse than when he first arrived in Van as well.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:18 AM
dingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
yeah, agree

every team and every player has warrented supporters and detractors, but you have to be deluded to think that Luongo did not get more than his fair share of the latter.

Luongo is the best goalie this team has ever had, and the fact that there are any fans eager to drive him out of town stinks. I am not including rational fans who see Schneider simply as the better option, but those who have a hate-on for Luo and blame him for playoff losees where the whole team melted down or couldnt score ...those who jeered him when getting yanked in the Anaheim game, and so on
Like it or not, the goaltender is a singular position. He tends to shoulder more of the praise AND more of the blame than any other single player. You may not notice what forward or defenceman X does every single shift, but you do notice how the goalie deals with every single shot. As such, general feelings about how the team is performing will inevitably manifest themselves in praise or criticism of the goaltender (and when you factor in Luongo's captaincy, it goes even further). Sometimes deserved, sometimes undeserved. I think goalies all understand this, and Luongo certainly does. He's probably experienced enough praiseful fans firsthand to get him through the rest of his career.

It's probably more what happened on the ice (fewer starts, Schneider in the playoffs) that contributed to this decision. This is a guy who played 75 games a season for years. He just wants to compete. And then there's the family stuff. No idea how much that factors in, but it could be a lot.

As for his actual goaltending skill... if he were on St Louis or Nashville, his stats would be astronomical. On a looser team like the Canucks he'll always have up or down games (aka, meltdowns).

Old
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Nah, it'll be the 'what have you done for me lately?' crowd.
I know your a lou fan and wouldn't agree, but there is a large unreasonable lou fanbase (completely opposite of his unreasonable hater fanbase) that puts him before the canucks team. Thankfully you seem very reasonable but quite a few i have encountered are not.

I left cdc because of a 35+ support thread on there in feburary titled "I cant wait until schneiders traded" which had a huge run of support from his fans so they didnt have to hear to put schneider in net comments.

Those roberto fans will bury schneider sooner at first opportunity well before the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
LongRoad

It's disrespectful to Luongo to suggest he's pinning this departure on the fans before we've even heard a word from him.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Poor professional athletes....make millions of dollars to play a game they love but have to endure some jeers and negativity sometimes...how do they cope? Anyone have a spare cross they can nail Luongo to?
What a tired argument. I wonder how you'd react if 4-5 people followed you around at work every day, ridiculing your work (mostly unfairly), jeering you, and then writing hideously unbalanced articles about it in your company newsletter? That would be commensurate to a non-athlete's salary, and I bet most people wouldn't handle it well. But, hey, some kid in Africa would kill to be jeered every day for your job, so enjoy that lack of respect!

Old
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
thenextone

Kypreos just trying to do his part to drive down Luongo's value for the Leafs deal.

If this is true I would have never imagined Luongo's tenure ending in Vancouver without a Cup and being another tombstone in the graveyard back in 2006 when we got him.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
If this is true I would have never imagined Luongo's tenure ending in Vancouver without a Cup and being another tombstone in the graveyard back in 2006 when we got him.
It must be a really lonely graveyard with no other tombstone there.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
digger18

Quote:
He's a year removed from carrying this team to game 7 of the Cup finals behind the worst offensive support since the lockout.
I cant buy that theory my friend. Luongo definitely had some great games during the run last year, but he also had some very miserable outings to go along with that. The results of the run were a team effort more than anything else. There were times the team let Luongo down and visa versa. Its the games in Boston that bothered me the most. Sure we were "beat up" but defensive gaffs were not the issue in those games. Some very questionable shots from low scoring percentage areas of the ice were finding the back of the net at the worst possible time. IMO Luongo was done in vancouver after game 6 of the finals. This move is coming 1 offseason late IMO.

Last edited by digger18: 04-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old
04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

There's no book out on Schneider, meanwhile Luongo has been one of the most heavily scouted goalies in the league. This team was as close as this core is getting to the Cup last season. Once Luongo is gone, anticipate some 3rd place finishes until the Oilers fix their back end and goaltending and take over for us.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
thenextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It must be a really lonely graveyard with no other tombstone there.
You're right. We cremated Cloutier, Potvin, Snow, Burke, Irbe, McLean, Hedberg...

Old
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildweasel View Post
That's so glib and dismissive. Sure, we all wish he brought us a Stanley Cup, but it didn't work out that way. The reason why a cup means do much is because its so hard to win! Let's not forget, he's an elite athlete (top 5 goaltender in the world) who signed two contracts to stay here when he could've gone anywhere else. He's not above criticism, but you can't say he wasn't always committed to this city and the team.

He got outplayed by someone younger and maybe better, so now he's going to go somewhere else. That's the nature of the beast. Even though I'm a Schneider supporter and I think he's better for the team going forward, I'm still sad to see Lou go out like this. The way we treated Luongo will not be looked upon fondly around the league or from future generations of Canuck fans because at the end of the day, Luongo treated Vancouver far better than Vancouver treated him.

I hope he does well wherever he goes. I'll be cheering for him no matter what.
I dont know what your trying to say in your response to me, i agree about the cup, although i did not say anything about the cup. I pretty much agree with most of it, except the last part about how we treated him and his feelings. Pro athletes will have difficult relationships with fans, not everywhere you go in the world of sports is roses. I also feel a large majority of fans did support him, but a minority of fans treated him unfairly but were sadly vocal, every market has some of those. Maybe ours is larger in hockey, but it happens in sports when your a celebrity making millions of dollars, there will be haters, and im sure lou knows it comes with the territory and handles it like a man.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 04-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old
04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
You're right. We cremated Cloutier, Potvin, Snow, Burke, Irbe, McLean, Hedberg...
Right, how exactly was MacLean run out of town? Guy is *still* highly thought of from Canuckfans. Jeff Brown had more to do with his career ending here shorter than it did.

Hedberg? Get ****'in serious. Crawford kicked him to the curb.
Irbe? Get ****'in serious. Burke kicked him to the curb.
Snow? lol? Are you ****' in serious? He *was* garbage by the time he got here.
Burke? see above
Potvin? lol? see above. He got outplayed by Bargain Bob - a career journeyman.
Cloutier? right? keep on believing that. He'd would've played for several more seasons had not Nonis traded for Luongo. An average journeyman goalie at best.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad View Post
It's disrespectful to Luongo to suggest he's pinning this departure on the fans before we've even heard a word from him.
I think it's just the whole package.
Media/Fan scrutiny
Schneider getting more starts
Schneider getting the last 3 starts in the playoffs

Luongo for as much as he has done for this franchise hasn't been treated great in the past couple seasons by some of the media and fans. I think this year he's handled it way better than he has in the past and I give him full credit for it.

Schneider started to look like a very good starting goaltender last season and then took the next step this season. Luongo saw this, and realized that after this season it was going to be him or Schneider, there wasn't enough room for both of them in the franchise anymore.

Add to the fact all the rumblings about his wife wanting to be back closer to home in Florida. Luongo asking for a trade is no suprise and he shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

The other issue is we have no idea how the conversation went. Did Luongo come out and ask for a trade directly or did him and Gillis have a discussion about the direction of the club and how Gillis was going to approach this offseason and Luongo said ok, I'll give you a list of teams you can trade me to.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:29 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Auld, Brochu, Skudra, Michaud, Hirsch, Fountain, Essensa, I could go on and on. This team ****ed up.

Old
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
If this news is true it does raise an interesting point...does his value drop or rise?
Obviously it drops. We will be lucky to simply shed his cap space, but more likely we'll be forced to take some garbage salary dump. Goalies historically bring very little return.

I'll miss Luongo. He is an elite goalie and deserves better than what he got in this city.

Old
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What a tired argument. I wonder how you'd react if 4-5 people followed you around at work every day, ridiculing your work (mostly unfairly), jeering you, and then writing hideously unbalanced articles about it in your company newsletter? That would be commensurate to a non-athlete's salary, and I bet most people wouldn't handle it well. But, hey, some kid in Africa would kill to be jeered every day for your job, so enjoy that lack of respect!
Give me a break, if I made millions to play hockey and the worst thing I had to deal with is some jeers and criticisms from the media, I'd be as happy as a pig in ****. Just because you and whomever else are too sensitive to dismiss some misplaced, ignorant negativity doesn't mean Luongo isn't capable of dismissing it.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Auld, Brochu, Skudra, Michaud, Hirsch, Fountain, Essensa, I could go on and on. This team ****ed up.
Crawford kicked Essensa to the curb (he never liked backup goalies). The rest? How many of these were ever even serious journeyman starting goalies at the NHL level - before or after? Auld was part of the package for Luongo by Nonis. How the **** does that make him 'run out of town' by the fans?

Don't insult the talent of Luongo by lumping these medicore goalies with him.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
do we believe that Kyperos has this inside scoop that van media doesn't?
Kypreos has sources, to be sure. And the Vancouver media usually has diddly squat - only Murph and Farhan Lalji periodically break things.

Closed Thread