HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Ricoh?

Old
04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Why the Ricoh?

I recently went to the X for a Marlies and American's game and I'm wondering, why are the Marlies playing in the Richo. From what I gathered and smelled, they are playing in a converted horse barn. Aren't they owned by MLSE? Why aren't their games at the ACC?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I recently went to the X for a Marlies and American's game and I'm wondering, why are the Marlies playing in the Richo. From what I gathered and smelled, they are playing in a converted horse barn. Aren't they owned by MLSE? Why aren't their games at the ACC?
They don't even sell out the Ricoh, it'd look pretty sad to have ~2500 fans in a building that can hold 20,000.

Beyond that I'd assume just scheduling, the ACC already hosts the Leafs, Raptors, and Toronto Rock (I'm not sure how much their schedules overlap with the NBA/NHL though).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
They don't even sell out the Ricoh, it'd look pretty sad to have ~2500 fans in a building that can hold 20,000.

Beyond that I'd assume just scheduling, the ACC already hosts the Leafs, Raptors, and Toronto Rock (I'm not sure how much their schedules overlap with the NBA/NHL though).
Obviously it doesn't overlap at all in april

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

they could move a playoff game into the acc..the marlies sold out game 2 that i went to so i guess they could increase profits?

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Not a bad conversion from a horse barn. Have a look.

http://www.ricohcoliseum.com/AboutRicohColiseum.asp

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:15 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
The answer is very easy but I would like to give you a couple of years to figure it out for yourself.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

I actually like the place. Has the oldschool feel on the outside. But very well done on the inside

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Barn? Where have you been going? Seems like a fairly nice facility to me. Need to get the wifi fixed though. Drives me crazy.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Smell?

Those were the fans.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Barn? Where have you been going? Seems like a fairly nice facility to me. Need to get the wifi fixed though. Drives me crazy.
It is a converted barn.

Even now it is used for horse shows during the Royal Agricultural Fair

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
It is a converted barn.

Can any of these horses play? The team could use them right now?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:30 AM
jgravessimcoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
It is a converted barn.

Every building a horse enters is henceforth a barn? Yeah, its on the CNE grounds and is used during the royal winter fair. It was also used by the RCAF for training during WWII. Since when is a building that evokes the history and culture of a city a bad thing?

As far as I'm converned the building is an AWESOME example from the golden age of arena designs. Little bit of art deco and neo-classical decoration, excellent brickwork detailing, and the copper roof is just classic:

Just a damn shame the gardiner blocks any chance of getting a decent look at the thing.

jgravessimcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Aplayaz2000

Just a difference thing.

One being NHL for the ACC and the other AHL for the Ricoh.
You have another AHL arena so why not use it?

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I hope they can fix the lighting and quality of ice.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
SprDaVE

Why are people upset that they aren't playing at the ACC?

Toronto just has to support them and they might. Crying about it though when they can barely sell out a game to me is pretty stupid.

Operating costs for the ACC is probably triple in terms of cost compared to Ricoh.

Also, it's the home of the Marlies. You don't switch arenas just because it's bigger and fancier across town.

Anyway, sellout the Marlies and create demand. If they think they could sellout the ACC then they might do it but I still doubt they'll do it.

MLSE might be rich as **** but they aren't stupid either. They have enough of bad contracts on their payroll, I don't think they need to lose more money for no reason.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
I hope they can fix the lighting and quality of ice.
My beer league team gets occasional games scheduled at the Ricoh, as a goalie it's the best ice surface that I play on in the GTA (that considered the other arenas I play at are Canlan Ice Sports, The Rinx, City of Toronto owned like Moss Park, Bill Bolton etc.) so you can take it with a grain of salt, but after playing in those facilities, stepping on the ice at Ricoh is like skating on silk.

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

The Ricoh is more than fine for the AHL's standards.

We'll worry about whether they should play somewhere else or not when they can sell out the place more than once or twice a season.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
htpwn

Quote:
It isn't a converted horse barn, it is a converted exhibition space, where yes, once a year they host the Royal Agricultural Fair. The true horse barn is next door (police horses) and that is likely what you smell if you go in the area.

As for why? One, the Marlies only average 2,000-3,000, so Ricoh gives them a more intimate arena to play. Two, MLSE manages Ricoh for the City of Toronto and one of the reasons the team was moved from St. John's in the first place was to get an anchor tenant for the building.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
It isn't a converted horse barn, it is a converted exhibition space, where yes, once a year they host the Royal Agricultural Fair. The true horse barn is next door (police horses) and that is likely what you smell if you go in the area.

As for why? One, the Marlies only average 2,000-3,000, so Ricoh gives them a more intimate arena to play. Two, MLSE manages Ricoh for the City of Toronto and one of the reasons the team was moved from St. John's in the first place was to get an anchor tenant for the building.
Sometimes if you're lucky you can smell some freshly baked bread wafting in the air.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Hyperglide

Probably because they have a ton of concerts around this time of the year. ACC is booked up more and they can't plan scheduling for an AHL farm team that won't bring in profits like a concert or potential NBA or NHL post season game.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

This isn't and hasn't ever been the case. Attendance is still a long ways away from where it needs to be, but they're averaging 5400 this year.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

The place was renovated at considerable cost to the city for the Toronto Roadrunners' franchise. The owner of the franchise abandoned the city after one year leaving the city with a newly renovated facility, no tenant and a mountain of debt for the renovations. MLSE swooped in and got themselves a long term sweetheart lease on the facility for their AHL team.

That's how the team plays there. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the facility for an AHL team. It's in good repair, the seating is all new, there is plenty of parking, the quality of the ice is good, the dressing rooms and training facilities are good. The building will probably be standing long after the ACC has been torn down since it's a historical building. The only downside to the facility as far as I'm concerned is its location. There are no restaurants/bars in reasonable walking distance of the place. It's in that dead zone of the CNE grounds that's a ghost town especially in the winter.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

The marlies have playoff tickets on groupon, people aren't exactly lining up to buy them.

30Rinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
This isn't and hasn't ever been the case. Attendance is still a long ways away from where it needs to be, but they're averaging 5400 this year.
Playoffs so far have been an average 7030 too that's quite good even if it's 2 games.

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
If they make the CCF, I can see games played at the ACC.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote