HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo To Toronto? Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
explain
It would probably go so far over your head, it's not worth it.

I'll leave it that Luongo has basically asked for a trade now. Nothing else really needs to be said.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
BlueStorm

vCash: 500
Burke will try to get Lu to make the playoffs and save his job. Hopefully he doesn't overpay. Now if we could package luongo to Mtl for Price then sign me up. Maybe they will salivate at the possibility of having another good Quebec goalie.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Again we firmly disagree on what Grabo is worth to the Leafs, I said this before when The Grabo line was playing their best hockey of last season, the Leafs were 29th in the NHL.

This year when Grabo was nowhere to be found in the beginning of the season the Leafs were 1st and near the top of the league.

The Leafs success depend on Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf far more than Grabo.
i thought kessel had a fairly successful year, no? and lupul a career best? yet they still finished 25th, hmm. fact is a hockey team needs ALL players to contribute in order to achieve team success. this year, when the goaltending fell to pieces, the wheels came off. had nothing to do with scoring.

on luongo, great tender, tough to nail down value though. can be fairly sure one of torontos big contracts would have to go to van. be nice to hand them komi and army with whatever else needs to be thrown in.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStorm View Post
Burke will try to get Lu to make the playoffs and save his job. Hopefully he doesn't overpay. Now if we could package luongo to Mtl for Price then sign me up. Maybe they will salivate at the possibility of having another good Quebec goalie.
if he wanted to save his job, he would of traded our young guys at the deadline to save his job.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKegg View Post
If they didn't have a seemingly #1 goalie as a backup in a contract year, and basically choose to play him over Luongo after the first 2 games in the first round(which he wasn't bad at all). We wouldn't be having this discussion. If Luongo had won either of his first two games, we probably wouldn't be having it either.... Unfortunately this had the hand that has been dealt, management made their decision... so I can only assume* this is why they are making this decision... Vancouver cannot keep the salary increase or conflict of having two #1 goalies anymore.
Pretty much.

So much is telling in this situation.

- They played Schneider when their season was on the line.
- Schenider is younger, his contract is up, and will require a fairly sizeable raise. They can't tie that much up in a "backup" (whether it is Luongo or Schneider).
- The fans in Vancouver have begun to attack Bobby Lou
- Luongo has ASKED for a trade

This really doesn't say ANYTHING to the quality of Roberto Luongo. This has everything to do with having 2 very good goalies, 1 being younger, cheaper, needing to be -resigned and *potentially* better. It's a no-brainer really.

Old
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
It would probably go so far over your head, it's not worth it.

I'll leave it that Luongo has basically asked for a trade now. Nothing else really needs to be said.
thank you for being so considerate

Old
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
that's a big assumption. If it has gotten to him and he comes to an equally relentless market it could be a disaster for the Leafs. Especially considering he be viewed as some type of savior. Its a huge risk. Will be interesting to see if Burke takes it. He could be gone in a year so why not.
It's also a big assumption to assume that the pressure has gotten to him. His numbers haven't really dipped, he's still playing good hockey (at least in the Regular Season - which is where the Leafs need to excel). It's a team situation he's in right now, not as much of a personal struggle.

I'd much rather have someone who knows what to expect than someone who comes in with their media-virginity still intact.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
i thought kessel had a fairly successful year, no? and lupul a career best? yet they still finished 25th, hmm. fact is a hockey team needs ALL players to contribute in order to achieve team success. this year, when the goaltending fell to pieces, the wheels came off. had nothing to do with scoring.

on luongo, great tender, tough to nail down value though. can be fairly sure one of torontos big contracts would have to go to van. be nice to hand them komi and army with whatever else needs to be thrown in.
The melt down coincided with the loss of Lupul and indifferent goaltending.

Also Phaneuf started to look worn down. If anything it is clear these are the guys that make the leafs go.

Again we were winning when Grabo was MIA at the beginning of the season, doesn't this tell most something?

Old
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

So, we're on his list apparently.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44100

Old
04-26-2012, 10:21 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
You don't trade your best centre, who is MORE THAN CAPABLE of being a very effective 2C.
What you fail to understand, is that when you don't have a better option, you don't flip your top player at that position to fill another hole, which is easily filled by other means. I'll go slow...

1. Burke will to be required to send Grabo back

2. Gillis will NOT WANT Grabo as a 5 million dollar 3C. That is JUST.PLAIN.STUPID. the EPITOME of STUPID.

3. Burke would be STUPID to try to solve one problem by creating another, especially when you have no way of addressing it. Burke had to lock up Grabo to a deal that favoured the player because there are ZERO foreseeable options to mitigate the loss.

Not sure what it is about this you're struggling to grasp.

If the deal was Luongo and Kesler, NO PROBLEM...take Grabo, take Kulemin, Take Joe Colborne, and take James Reimer. Hell, you can have a second rounder to boot. But, thats not the case. Its about a goalie that can be had at a hell of a discount, and in this case only a fool would move a guy out that you have no way of covering the loss for.

You're debating for the sake of it at this point.
I hate when people scream and assume what Burke may or may not do, I did you the liberty of reading your response because you put time into it. But it is so far off, I don't even want to respond to so many assumptions.

Got one question for you, you said you don't fill a hole by creating another hole.

You think it is easier to pick up a good #2C on a bad team #3C on a good team or picking up a #1 G that was the #1 Goalie just 2 short years ago on Team Canada?

Bluntly, I want to hear your reasoning on why you think a #3C on a contender is more valuable than #1G in the NHL, and on the gold medal winning team in 2010.

If you can explain this to us, you will have done miracles.

BTW don't use the cop out it won't take Grabo to get Luongo. You don't trade garbage and get quality back. We are dealing with realities of obtaining Luongo. I don't want to get into these unintelligent let's trade Lombardi and Komi and a 4th rd pick for Brad Richards type scenarios.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
You don't trade your best centre, who is MORE THAN CAPABLE of being a very effective 2C.
What you fail to understand, is that when you don't have a better option, you don't flip your top player at that position to fill another hole, which is easily filled by other means. I'll go slow...

1. Burke will NOT be required to send Grabo back

2. Gillis will NOT WANT Grabo as a 5 million dollar 3C. That is JUST.PLAIN.STUPID. the EPITOME of STUPID.

3. Burke would be STUPID to try to solve one problem by creating another, especially when you have no way of addressing it. Burke had to lock up Grabo to a deal that favoured the player because there are ZERO foreseeable options to mitigate the loss.

Not sure what it is about this you're struggling to grasp.

If the deal was Luongo and Kesler, NO PROBLEM...take Grabo, take Kulemin, Take Joe Colborne, and take James Reimer. Hell, you can have a second rounder to boot. But, thats not the case. Its about a goalie that can be had at a hell of a discount, and in this case only a fool would move a guy out that you have no way of covering the loss for.

You're debating for the sake of it at this point.
don't know why you're all fighting with that fool.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I'd rather see if Halak is available .
If Elliot continues to carry St. Louis though the playoffs, than I also would have Halak on my list ahead of Luongo.

Age 26 would fit in a lot better than 33 with Leafs core group.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Inverted

as long as our 1st, kadri, gardnier, colborne, ashton and schenn arent involved in the trade, then do it burkie!

Old
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If Elliot continues to carry St. Louis though the playoffs, than I also would have Halak on my list ahead of Luongo.

Good plan. EA 2013 Stanley Cup here we come!!

Old
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

Do we need a goalie who struggles against a division rival though? We play a lot more games against Boston than Vancouver does.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Do we need a goalie who struggles against a division rival though? We play a lot more games against Boston than Vancouver does.
There are still 76 other games where a goalie with his talents could be useful..

Old
04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Important Important Important:

From a fans' point of view...

I'm so used to cheering against Luongo. He always met my expectations in losing at key times. I had a big time problem with liking him or giving him credit when he played on team Canada. If he plays for the leafs he will be mine and every other leafs' fans' target. A pure lightning rod for hate.

I think he's better suited for Tampa, Columbus, or the Islanders.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Swarez

Quote:

The biggest problem with that is Halak will cost a lot more to get than Luongo IMO- he is young, good contract, good. If he is on the market there will be a bidding war for him. With that said there is no reason for STL to trade either goalie this year , they can wait for teams to over pay.
I really think you can get Lou by a depth player, 2nd/3rd rounder or a young low end Dman and selling the fact that they get cap space.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Yeah, Halak easily sits higher for me as far as hopeful goaltending solutions go.

He's proven he can win games in big markets, and at 6 years younger, without a giant contract, I'd kill to have him here.

04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
JoeParez
Respect This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Important Important Important:

From a fans' point of view...

If he plays for the leafs he will be mine and every other leafs' fans' target. A pure lightning rod for hate.
I'm a Leafs fan.
I do not hate Luongo - but thanks for speaking on my behalf.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Dream offseason:

1. Trade for Luongo
2. Trade for #1 centre
3. Sign Chris Kelly
4. Sign Barrett Jackman
5. Get rid of LACK

Hmmmm do it burkie

Old
04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeParez View Post
I'm a Leafs fan.
The way I look at it, he will then fit in with Kessel, Dion and Nazem.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeParez View Post
I'm a Leafs fan.
I don't speak on your behalf.

1 fan
1 opinion

Who ever speaks in absolutes here?

When has anyone ever spoken in that manner?

Keep the context in mind at all times: hockey forum/many opinions.

Closed Thread