HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston off-season moves (besides goaltending)

Old
04-26-2012, 12:00 AM
sal00

vCash: 500
Boston off-season moves (besides goaltending)

Because they won the cup last season, they decided to pretty much keep most of the team intact and just let go of its UFAs.

However, this year they end up with an early exit, though a very close one indeed. Are we expecting them to do some retooling or will they just plug in their "now-ready" prospects (Caron/Hamilton/Knight/etc) to speed the development process? All the their top 6 (Horton/Krejci/Seguin/Lucic/Bergeron/Marchand) and Peverley are still signed for at least another year.

What are the holes they need to fill via free-agency?

Last edited by sal00: 04-26-2012 at 12:07 AM.
sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Boston wants Iginla. Start there.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:07 AM
KOHitter87

No Iggy not with his contract. Krejci goes some where how long they going to keep Seguin at wing. Their not going to have him center the third line with grinder s. Krejci would net you a guy who can pick the corners.

KOHitter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal00 View Post
Because they won the cup last season, they decided to pretty much keep most of the team intact and just let go of its UFAs.

However, this year they end up with an early exit, though a very close one indeed. Are we expecting them to do some retooling or will they just plug in their "now-ready" prospects (Caron/Hamilton/Knight/etc) to speed the development process? All the their top 6 (Horton/Krejci/Seguin/Lucic/Bergeron/Marchand) and Peverley are still signed for at least another year.

What are the holes they need to fill via free-agency?
I don't think you'll see a re-tool, but I do think Horton's health questions will make them look to add some offense on the wing. Horton (or a player like Horton) was literally the tipping point for Boston's offense, with him, they scored over 3.7 goals per game, without him 2.6.

I expect Kelly to go back to Ottawa, so it will also be interesting to see if they move Seguin to center and go with Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron for a powerhouse lineup down the middle, bring in someone new, or move Peverley to center.

04-26-2012, 02:31 AM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I don't think you'll see a re-tool, but I do think Horton's health questions will make them look to add some offense on the wing. Horton (or a player like Horton) was literally the tipping point for Boston's offense, with him, they scored over 3.7 goals per game, without him 2.6.

I expect Kelly to go back to Ottawa, so it will also be interesting to see if they move Seguin to center and go with Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron for a powerhouse lineup down the middle, bring in someone new, or move Peverley to center.
Im fine with that, long as Seguins the number 1 center if hes playing with Caron or some other third liner im going to revolt. The one positive about losing it gives Seguin a long Summer to get bigger, and work on his faceoffs.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:31 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

could see them bringing in a guy like Penner or Boyes... both will be earning much less than previous contract (you would think) after poor seasons, and at 30, they'd likely want a short-term deal to allow them to cash in IF/when they return to previous production levels.

perfect fit for a team with a ? top-6 fwd due to concussion issues looking for short-term depth/scoring.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:55 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
I don't think you'll see any retooling. The absence of Horton was a big part of the B's exit. What I would like to see is the team sign Suter. They truly need to stabilize their top-4. A defense of: Chara-Suter, Seids-Manchuk, McQuaid-Ference would be dominant.

After that it's time for them to find a new PP coach. A PP to end the 3rd and the team looked like they had no confidence in themselves or what they were trying to do. 2 years devoid of any success on the PP, it's time for some fresh ideas.

HM- (Other moves I could see happening.) B's making a play for Parise and move Krejci. Thomas traded for futures and depth.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

It's incredible how one team can have so many first line players suffer serious concussions. Hopefully Horton will turn out like Bergeron and not Savard.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:34 AM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
I don't think you'll see any retooling. The absence of Horton was a big part of the B's exit. What I would like to see is the team sign Suter. They truly need to stabilize their top-4. A defense of: Chara-Suter, Seids-Manchuk, McQuaid-Ference would be dominant.

After that it's time for them to find a new PP coach. A PP to end the 3rd and the team looked like they had no confidence in themselves or what they were trying to do. 2 years devoid of any success on the PP, it's time for some fresh ideas.

HM- (Other moves I could see happening.) B's making a play for Parise and move Krejci. Thomas traded for futures and depth.
I dont see them going after Suter. Dougie will be a Bruin next year there is really no reason for them to send him back to the Junoirs. A guy who can pick corners is needed more than anything else. Then again maybe Knight turns out to be that guy.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
You won't see any big trades.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Tuckerw68

Every beat writer in Boston is claiming that we've seen Tim Thomas's last game as a Bruin

Tuckerw68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:09 AM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerw68 View Post
Every beat writer in Boston is claiming that we've seen Tim Thomas's last game as a Bruin
It all depends on Rask, who really controls what happens to Thomas

Old
04-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
It's incredible how one team can have so many first line players suffer serious concussions. Hopefully Horton will turn out like Bergeron and not Savard.
Not to derail or anything but is Horton really a 1st line winger?

If he is it is very close IMO. When I say 1st line I mean on a typical cup team. I'm not trying to bash, just my opinion.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:26 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post

If he is it is very close IMO. When I say 1st line I mean on a typical cup team. I'm not trying to bash, just my opinion.
He is in Boston and since he is playing in Boston...

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Barresi

Quote:

It's marginal for most teams, but in Julien's system I'd say definitely. Not to say there couldn't be an improvement in that position, however.

Barresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:03 AM
bigbadbruins1

I really think this offseason is a game changer. You will either see a lot.. or a lot of nothing.
Hortons injury up in the air leaves the Bruins looking for a top 6 forward, which could easily be filled if they threw the cash at parise(provided hes available). I also think that Depending on what they spend on UFA's, they could very well deal thomas. As it stands the B's have 5 mill in cap space next season, 9 if they decide to put Savard on LTIR, and if Horton possibly could go LTIR that would make 13. If they decide to trade Thomas then you have 14-18 million depending on Horton's status.
That could sign a few high profile free agents.
Now for reality... Bruins have Lucic, seguin, marchand, caron, and Ference to sign in the 2013-2014 season. Thats going to run them a lot of coin.
What I want? frankly I want to B's to go after suter. I think with the goaltending we have adding suter would give the Bruins probably the best 1 and 2 pairings in the league, and possibly make the B's even more stifiling on defense.
Overall? resign at minimum Rask and Kelly. sign ONE big UFA and leave the rest of the money for they coming years contract situations.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:57 AM
InjuredChoker

I would expect them to get a top 6 F. Maybe top 3 if they land on Parise.

Is Hamilton NHL ready next year? D looks fine if he is.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
FanHabtic

I think the Bruins need to get smaller.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:

He's a top 6 RW on just about any team, and in Julien's system (at least with the Bruins) it doesn't matter if you're 1st or 2nd line since they're somewhat interchangeable. The bigger factor with Horton is the chemistry he has with Lucic and Krejci. For whatever reason, Lucic and Horton simply feed off of one another, and both play a mean, banging style when their together. So to answer your question, no, Horton's not a first line RW in the traditional sense. But he's a key cog on that Lucic-Krejci-Horton line that won a cup, and I just think both of those guys are are significantly better when he's their RW.

Back on topic, I don't think they make many major moves this offseason. I think they're going to give Hamilton every chance to earn a job, and I think they'll look to improve their depth on the wings. If Parise has interest in Boston then I would be surprised to see them make a pitch, but I don't think that's happening.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

If I were Chiarelli, I'd start by writing out these names...

Lucic Seguin XXX
Marchand Bergeron Peverley
XXX Krejci XXX
Caron XXX Thornton

Chara Boychuk
Ference Seidenberg
XXX McQuaid
Hamilton, XXX, Krug

Seguin is our best offensive player, I think you unleash him at center from the beginning.

If Horton comes back, throw him on RW on one of the lines. If Campbell comes back, throw him on the 4th line center. Pouliot? I'm a fan, so put him on 3rd line LW. That leaves one wing spot open where I'd prefer some offense to help this anemic PP.

My two cents.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I would expect them to get a top 6 F. Maybe top 3 if they land on Parise.

Is Hamilton NHL ready next year? D looks fine if he is.
Hard to tell until he actually plays an NHL game, but from what I've heard he'll likely make the team and play sheltered minutes like Seguin did. We'll likely sign a bottom pairing defensman for depth as well.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:

yes i want the centers spread down the middle, and i agree i dont see Kelly returning. Krejci worked well as the 3rd line center when Savard was the #1, he played with Ryder and Wheeler and put up 70 points. Krejci, Peverley and Caron on the 3rd line is pretty similar. i think a top 6 forward is needed, Suter would be a great Corvo replacement and allows Dougie to play another year in Junior to get stronger

Lucic - Seguin - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - XXX
Caron - Krejci - Peverley
Knight - Campbell - Thornton

Chara - Boychuk
Suter - Seidenberg
Ference - McQuaid

Rask/Thomas

im not sure if the top 6 forward class is a good one or not, i would sign Semin for a pay cut (4m) because Bruins need a sniper, but some team will give him 5-6m

Last edited by Kiss My Rask: 04-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:14 AM
The Hockey Tonk Man

I'd hate to see Peverley at center all year, dude lost a lot of important faceoffs in that caps series...not just that one OV scored on either..as for the bruins, I just see some hole filling, nothing big.

The Hockey Tonk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOHitter87 View Post
No Iggy not with his contract. Krejci goes some where how long they going to keep Seguin at wing. Their not going to have him center the third line with grinder s. Krejci would net you a guy who can pick the corners.
Why no Iggy? His cap can fit into boston considering he only has one year left and Savard and HOrton will be on LTIR.
As long as the asking price isn't Seguin (which Calgary would be foolish to ask for) I think he would be the perfect player for Boston.
Great leader, still productive, not affriad to get physical, and will bring passion and desire to win first cup.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

The Bruins should sign a big scoring forward to replace Horton if he's still out by September. Maybe a guy like Pouliot.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote