HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kypreos: Luongo Has Asked For a Trade (All Luongo Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
25Bieksa3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Wonder what these teams are. 4 is a very narrow list, but he has earned it.

TB, NJ, ?, ?.
My guess is TBL, FLA, NJ... Can't honestly think of the last one... I don't see anyone else taking him, but I guess he would be cool with moving to CAR... but with Wardo there, and imo, Wardo being the better goalie, it would just never happen.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
dogyekcoh*

My respect for Luongo just went up a few notch for his professionalism. A rather smart move by him. The difficulty for Vancouver is finding a taker.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:21 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Gimme a break, Luongo could have easily came out and caused a huge stir, called out the org, and become a huge distraction in the playoffs.

Instead he went the classy route, supported schneider, and said literally everything the right way
Boston fans should know first-hand just how hard it is for Luongo to do that.

Old
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I see him waiving for Vancouver, but I am not sure Vancouver wants someone like him whose watermark is probably 20-25 goals. They need a 30-35 scorer.

Thts fine because Malone isn't a salary dump and won't be included. If luongo comes to Tampa, I'd be SHOCKED if Ohlund wasn't going the other way as the salary dump.

Old
25Bieksa3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
blockbuster right hurr

Luongo
Kesler
Edler
for
Lecavalier
Hedman
1st
I was actually talking to a buddy about a trade like that going down. It COULD happen. Not likely, but crazier things have happened.

Old
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
True, but I also expect MG to have input on that list. The other assumption is that this list is comprised of what Lou wants without outside input. If he's a "team guy" I don't expect that to be the case.
Team guy or not, if that team no longer wants Luongo, his primary interest has to be his own. You don't really think that just to be a "team guy" he'd agree to be traded somewhere he absolutely doesn't want to play, do you?

If Vancouver has made it clear they no longer want him, Luongo should work to be sent to a team where he wants to go. He's being enough of a "team guy" by agreeing to leave at all.

Quote:
You're forgetting that he didn't have to waive at all. He didn't have to provide any options. And, he's on record that he wouldn't thwart attempts to make the team better, even if it means he has to leave.

This is nothing but good IMO. He's taken a mature approach to the whole situation when really he could have shut everything down. The fact there are more teams on his list, even as public rumour mongering, bodes well also. He's providing his GM options instead of forcing him to deal with a single team.
Well, yes, a list of 4 teams is a lot better than only one.

It's also a helluva lot worse than a list of 29. Or 20. Or 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneids View Post
If the only offer on the table was to take on Lecavalier's contract, I'd rather trade Schneider. And I'm a HUGE Schneider fan.

I doubt MG will trade Kesler or Edler anyways.
Good grief, I thought that proposal was a joke. It was a serious suggestion?

Last edited by ColePens: 04-24-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old
04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
With a contract until he's 43, Luongo isn't a perfect fit for anyone.
I disagree.

Let's just say there are a couple budget teams down the road. Teams like the Islanders or even the Avs of this year.

Teams can trade these guys with low salaries but high cap hits (1.0 million salary/5.3 million cap hit in Luongo's final years) to teams that need to be at the cap floor. In exchange, those teams basically gain a player who boosts their team salary without having to pay that much salary. In effect, that teams only pays 1.0 million to put 5.6 million on their cap space.

So one team can reap the benefits of a long-term contract now by having a stellar player for an affordable cap hit. And then in the final years when they aren't as useful, they could just package him up with maybe a draft pick to a team that need to be at the cap floor. A team that is rebuilding or is on a budget.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
My prediction:

Only one of them will be with Vancouver next year.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Well, yes, a list of 4 teams is a lot better than only one.

It's also a helluva lot worse than a list of 29. Or 20. Or 10.

It's a middle ground. Going from a situation where the NTC was ironclad to a more pliable scenario. It was never going to be 29 teams.

He not only waived, but if the rumours are to be believed, was open to a list and not one team in particular. These are good things and speak well to his character.

Old
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I think you need to define "high". There are some saying TO's 1st. Thats the 5th overall pick!! Not a chance that happens.
Luongo alone is worth a top 5 pick. It's his contract that brings him down. For a contending team that wants to win right now it's great, cause they get a top 5 goalie in the league for 5.333 cap hit. For a rebuilding team, it's a 10-year deal with lots of money still on it.

As I said though, some posters will be surprised to see what Luongo will garner back in a trade if he is indeed asked to waive his no-trade. It's too bad the Isles have DP locked down for so long, Luongo would bring them back to respectability.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Thts fine because Malone isn't a salary dump and won't be included. If luongo comes to Tampa, I'd be SHOCKED if Ohlund wasn't going the other way as the salary dump.
My post wasn't intended to insult Malone.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Luongo alone is worth a top 5 pick. It's his contract that brings him down. For a contending team that wants to win right now it's great, cause they get a top 5 goalie in the league for 5.333 cap hit. For a rebuilding team, it's a 10-year deal with lots of money still on it.

As I said though, some posters will be surprised to see what Luongo will garner back in a trade if he is indeed asked to waive his no-trade. It's too bad the Isles have DP locked down for so long, Luongo would bring them back to respectability.
Yeah the posters that will be surprised what he brings back in a trade will be the ones thinking he will bring back anything significant.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
NewEraGM

Columbus: Roberto Luongo + 1st (25th overall)

Vancouver: Rich Nash

What say you?

Old
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Good grief, I thought this proposal was a joke. It was a serious suggestion?
I would never make a serious canucks proposal, and Vinny would never waive...still better some other proposals on here. There's worse things then Lecavalier as your number 2 center, look at his playoff chart and compare to Kesler. His contract is 2 years shorter the Lou's so I dont see how it can be considered any worse then his, pretty even imo.Oh and Edler is much better then Hedman to whoever said it was even...but Hedman might be better before his contract is up

Old
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

can't wait to see Luongo in a Hawks sweater. Counting the days.

Old
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
@tsnjamesduthie Contrary to some Twitter talk, Luongo has not submitted a list of teams to the Canucks.
I'm just quoting this because its clear that people missed it.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Yeah the posters that will be surprised what he brings back in a trade will be the ones thinking he will bring back anything significant.
Time will tell, my friend.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
It's a middle ground. Going from a situation where the NTC was ironclad to a more pliable scenario. It was never going to be 29 teams.

He not only waived, but if the rumours are to be believed, was open to a list and not one team in particular. These are good things and speak well to his character.
Absolutely. I said nothing about his character.

All I'm saying is 4 teams is quite restrictive. Logic tells me that if he's open to 10 or 15 teams, the bidding (if there is any) would be driven up considerably more than if only 4 were involved. That would hold true if he listed 8 teams instead of 4.

Trying to make it simple - the fewer the teams, the less competition, the lower the price. 4 is a lot better than 1 but it's still not very many to choose from, especially if that list includes teams that aren't interested.

All of which is moot, apparently, since it's now reported he hasn't presented a list, anyway.

I will say one thing - have to give the guy props for having more threads in more forums than any player I can think of in a while!

Old
04-24-2012, 05:46 PM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
It's not up to you or where you think he's going to go, get off your high horse.
You don't know who I am, do you? I may be an NHL insider. I might be a professional masseuse, I also might be an actor on M*A*S*H, you just don't know.

Are you an expert?

Old
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

All I'm saying is 4 teams is quite restrictive. Logic tells me that if he's open to 10 or 15 teams, the bidding (if there is any) would be driven up considerably more than if only 4 were involved. That would hold true if he listed 8 teams instead of 4.

Trying to make it simple - the fewer the teams, the less competition, the lower the price. 4 is a lot better than 1 but it's still not very many to choose from, especially if that list includes teams that aren't interested.

All of which is moot, apparently, since it's now reported he hasn't presented a list, anyway.

I will say one thing - have to give the guy props for having more threads in more forums than any player I can think of in a while!

My scenario compares 4 to 1 team. Or rather, 4 to none. That's what I'm commenting on. Obviously, more would be better. It's just not very realistic to begin with.

So again, from the point of view I'm looking at, 4 to none is pretty good. That is the logic behind the perception.

Edit: Oh, and if he's openly willing to waive, he'll have to present a list anyways. But I'm sure he'll hash that out with MG.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
KISSland

Quote:

I have to give props to the hfmembers that aren't bashing him either. How times have change.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
You don't know who I am, do you? I may be an NHL insider. I might be a professional masseuse, I also might be an actor on M*A*S*H, you just don't know.

Are you an expert?
Nope and thats why I don't make absolute statements like you do.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Straelofe
Om nom nom

Quote:

The "4 teams" report was shot down by James Duthie.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Oh, please hockey gods, get him to Toronto.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneids View Post
The "4 teams" report was shot down by James Duthie.

It was shot down, but the scenario isn't that far off IMO. Eventually, he'll pick out 4-5 teams in the east and it will be enough. Just as long as he's not set on going to a specific team...

Closed Thread