HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kypreos: Luongo Has Asked For a Trade (All Luongo Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
He'll end up in Tampa. Really no other spot
Doesn't Tampa have money issues(ie will they look at him as a 5.3M caphit or as a 6.7M in actual salary)? If they are the later then they might shy away

Old
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
Chicago seems like a very good fit
Have you ever met a Blackhawks fan? He'd be Luuued out of Johnny's Ice House.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:31 PM
bring back the jets

nash for luongo?

Old
04-24-2012, 04:31 PM
rypper

another interesting thing to note about the original statement is ; luongo will wave the no trade if the canucks ask him. it's a well known fact that mike gillis has stated he will never ask a player to waive a ntc. which side budges on their principles lol?

Old
04-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Tampa might not have a problem with taking on Luongo since they have Lecavalier for life anyways, that is why no one except MAYBE Tampa is going to give up a lot for Luongo. He's 33 years old and he isn't Tim Thomas. He'll most likely regress like Brodeur has in the past years.
That's exactly why Tampa *would* have a problem with taking on Luongo and, if for some insane reason they decided to do so, knowing that "no one" will give up a lot for him, we sure wouldn't, either.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
realist99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
On the flip side, Luongos contract would actually be GREAT for a cap floor/tanking team in a few years. Because his cap hit will be 5.3mil, but his actually salary will be 1-3 mil. They could even use him as a backup if they wanted.
Bingo

Old
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
The only teams I can see from the start not being interested in Luongo are teams that have difficulty in financial security. Since the Contract is over 50M, a lot of teams might be scared off to have that hole in their pocket.

I'm confident if it's a team outside of Toronto, he'll win a cup with them.
Is Vancouver in Toronto?

Let's not get carried away here.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Doesn't Tampa have money issues(ie will they look at him as a 5.3M caphit or as a 6.7M in actual salary)? If they are the later then they might shy away
Yzerman has permission to spend as much as he needs to. He openly said he wouldn't have taken the job if that wasn't the case.

It's all about the caphit and Luongos is actually pretty good for what he is, but Tampa would need to move a significant contract the other way for it to make sense (from Tampa's perspective).

Edit: Remember, this is a team with Lecavalier(7.7) Stamkos(7.5) St.Louis(5.6), and Malone(4.5)

Old
04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
WingsFan95

My money is on Tampa.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Luongo is at worst the 10-15th best goalie in the league.

Look at the value of the 15th best centreman or 15th best dman and it's comparable.
That's damning with faint praise. In a league of 30 teams the 15th best goalie is smack dab in the middle of the pack of starters. Do you really want to be commited to an average goalie for 10 years?

It'll take a desperate or inept GM to give up anything significant for Luongo, not that there arent a few of those around the league. If he's truly willing to waive his NTC I could see him ending up in Columbus as long as Howson can sell the idea to the owners. (of course trying that might be the straw that breaks the camels back and gets him fired).

Old
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Xoggz22

I don't follow the Luongo to Leafs makes them a playoff team. Like Columbus, they are not a goaltender away from the playoffs. The defense is beyond suspect (I think most Leaf fans admit this) which creates major problems. Tampa makes sense to be a possible playoff team but I think they have several holes to fill as well. At least they are only one season removed from the playoffs and have some talent on offense and defense.

Old
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't any team he goes to has the option to bow out of his contract after 3 seasons.....So you get an elite goaltender for a 5.3 Million dollar Cap hit and can get rid of him in three years if problems emerge.

Correct?
No.

The terms of his NTC change, so they could trade him without his permission. Of course, if problems have emerged, who would take him? Another reason Tampa likely stays away.

Old
palindrom

This is an interesting development.

Does it mean he would waive to go anywhere? Or only to a selected few teams? or in between?

Old
04-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I'd see Florida as a favorite because it's close to his wife, friends, and family. I think Tampa would be perfect for him. WAAY more laid back than Vancouver, not all the pressure goes to the goalie.

I feel bad for the guy. His whole career was derailed by last year's playoffs because fans needed a scapegoat. He's a great goalie, and I think he'd become even better without all the nonsense with people calling him a bad goalie, loser, sieve, etc.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if vancouver bought out the rest of lou's contract, there would be a handful of teams lining around the block to get him on that contract. he would end up with a bigger cap hit for the next ten years.
How so? My understanding is if a team buys out a player, the buyout cap hit remains with them. The player can then negotiate a new contract with anyone he pleases for whatever amount he pleases and that would be the cap hit for the new team, while the old team continues to pay him.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carumba10 View Post
Bingo
won't he be 40+ at that point?? more likely to be bought out than sitting on the bench. he gets paid for not playing and they free up cap hit space to overpay a player that actually brings something to the table other than a cap hit.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Sureves

As everyone else has said, it's almost certainly going to be Tampa or Toronto.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The guy that landed luongo in vancouver is Dave Nonis... big Toronto connection there, although that bridge might be burned with the way those two organizations have been bickering with one another. Funny how Burke usually seems to be in the middle of these.

Anyways, that's a 5.3mil cap hit basically until Luongo decides he doesnt want to play anymore. Tough to figure out how much that cap value would be worth a few years from now, but I doubt the Canucks get much physical return because a) they are not the ones with leverage and the possible suitors know this b) Getting rid of the salary structure is worth alot of value in itself.

Then again, Gomez and his fat salary was traded for McDonagh and Higgins so maybe something falls in Gillis' lap, but most likely, this is a case where neither Luongo or Gillis can be picky, or the move would be very difficult to execute.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

I hope he leaves.

Nothing against him, I actually admire him and is still one of my favorite Canucks. But he is too good for the treatment he gets. He doesn't deserve the hate that is constantly dumped on him. I hope he goes to a market where the fans and media will leave him at peace.

It will be sad to see him go, but it's for his best.

Old
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The guy that landed luongo in vancouver is Dave Nonis... big Toronto connection there, although that bridge might be burned with the way those two organizations have been bickering with one another. Funny how Burke usually seems to be in the middle of these.

Anyways, that's a 5.3mil cap hit basically until Luongo decides he doesnt want to play anymore. Tough to figure out how much that cap value would be worth a few years from now, but I doubt the Canucks get much physical return because a) they are not the ones with leverage and the possible suitors know this b) Getting rid of the salary structure is worth alot of value in itself.

Then again, Gomez and his fat salary was traded for McDonagh and Higgins so maybe something falls in Gillis' lap, but most likely, this is a case where neither Luongo or Gillis can be picky, or the move would be very difficult to execute.
I don't think Vancouver crying "tampering!!!" everytime a Toronto exec says something constitutes bickering, or Burke being in the middle of anything.

Old
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

Lol at Toronto fans thinking they're gonna get Luongo...

Tampa's a perfect fit for him, I wish him all the best.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:44 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
How so? My understanding is if a team buys out a player, the buyout cap hit remains with them. The player can then negotiate a new contract with anyone he pleases for whatever amount he pleases and that would be the cap hit for the new team, while the old team continues to pay him.
I think what he meant is that the new contract would come with a cap hit that is higher than his current $5.33M and that there would be many GMs "lining up around the block" who would take him for $5.33M a year.

Old
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
The terms of his NTC change, so they could trade him without his permission. Of course, if problems have emerged, who would take him? Another reason Tampa likely stays away.
At any point in time of Loungo's contract I am guessing the Islanders will more then gladly trade him for Dipeitro

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
I'd see Florida as a favorite because it's close to his wife, friends, and family. I think Tampa would be perfect for him. WAAY more laid back than Vancouver, not all the pressure goes to the goalie.

I feel bad for the guy. His whole career was derailed by last year's playoffs because fans needed a scapegoat. He's a great goalie, and I think he'd become even better without all the nonsense with people calling him a bad goalie, loser, sieve, etc.
Nah, the criticism on Luongo started much before last year. I think it really ramped up during the 2009 playoffs when the Canucks lost to Chicago the first time, and the questions never really went away after that.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
won't he be 40+ at that point?? more likely to be bought out than sitting on the bench. he gets paid for not playing and they free up cap hit space to overpay a player that actually brings something to the table other than a cap hit.
It'd depend on performance, but I think that if he isn't starter quality in those last few seasons, he'll get waived to the minors and likely retire. I think he also would have the option not to report, voiding the contract and allowing him to sign a new contract, which makes sense for him if he still is good enough to be a starter, just not on that team/at that cap hit (season by season like Roloson, until he isn't starter quality).

Closed Thread