Notices

Time for Seguin to take #1 role

Old
04-26-2012, 07:37 PM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
His goal last night was awesome and the kinda play you just love to see. Pure guts, effort and will.

But he also was pretty bad decision and compete-wise on the late pp, and lost a couple of important battles on the boards late in the game too.

If he makes huge leaps this offseason like last, then maybe he can play #1 C, but idk.... his game just seems to fit better at wing.
He`ll be, IMHO, a guy who will learn to bring that every night. Kid has made great strides in year two and I believe it will only continue.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
He`ll be, IMHO, a guy who will learn to bring that every night. Kid has made great strides in year two and I believe it will only continue.
I guess I just think that right now we can expect him to be an explosive 30-35 goal scoring W with explosive speed. I don't see the need to move him to C where we take some of those abilities away, make him play to his weaknesses and away from his strength and give him too much to do when we already have capable Cs.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but (unless Horton is done) then I think we have a bigger need at D than F. Ference, Boychuk and McQuaid are all great character guys and are "ok" but as a whole I think our group is slow and don't transition well enough.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:26 PM
putabergeronthegrill

the thing is, bergeron is the perfect number 2 center. not a 1 or 3.

putabergeronthegrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
I guess I just think that right now we can expect him to be an explosive 30-35 goal scoring W with explosive speed. I don't see the need to move him to C where we take some of those abilities away, make him play to his weaknesses and away from his strength and give him too much to do when we already have capable Cs.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but (unless Horton is done) then I think we have a bigger need at D than F. Ference, Boychuk and McQuaid are all great character guys and are "ok" but as a whole I think our group is slow and don't transition well enough.

Agree. Adding a high end defenseman is the biggest need.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
KOHitter87

Quote:
His goal last night was awesome and the kinda play you just love to see. Pure guts, effort and will.

But he also was pretty bad decision and compete-wise on the late pp, and lost a couple of important battles on the boards late in the game too.

If he makes huge leaps this offseason like last, then maybe he can play #1 C, but idk.... his game just seems to fit better at wing.
Disagree he's a natural center. Really i just want krejci gone how many years can you have a guy have so many no shows before you say enough is enough. It's not like Krejci is a great faceoff guy. Give the keys to the kid, and give him another winger or two depended on Horton.

KOHitter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
They have Dougie comin next year. They need a sniper paln and simple no depth guys, no grinder's, a guy who can pick the corners.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by putabergeronthegrill View Post
the thing is, bergeron is the perfect number 2 center. not a 1 or 3.
Same with krejci Seguin needs to be the #1 center next year.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:41 PM
SpeedyLazaro

seguin has a lot of growing up to do.

I think more often than not during these playoffs he looked like a boy amongst men.

the potential is there, but I think he's a got a few years to go before he can be relied on to win battles at both ends of the ice

SpeedyLazaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:54 AM
KOHitter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyLazaro View Post
seguin has a lot of growing up to do.

I think more often than not during these playoffs he looked like a boy amongst men.

the potential is there, but I think he's a got a few years to go before he can be relied on to win battles at both ends of the ice
I agree but the way i look at it is Krejci any better? To me move Krejci Seguin's your number 1 center and give him first line talent that they lack. Marchand and Lucic are not first line player's Horton is when he is going but he might be done.

Old
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsonpopcorn View Post
It is time for Seguin to take #1 center role and Chia to get a sniper winger for David K. David is signed for 3 for over 5 a year. We can get a good winger for David- maybe Bobby Ryan or Dustin Brown to play with Seguin
Or should the title of this thread be "Time for Krejci to take on a #2/3 role"

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Unfortunately, there's only one of those available, and everyone is going to be after him.

I think Suter makes our team better than Parise would, but we have a much better chance of bringing Parise in in my mind.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Cronuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
XXX - Seguin - XXX
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Peverley
XXX - Campbell - Thornton
XXX

It all comes down to finding Tyler Seguin his partner for the next 5-7 years. Stamkos has St.Louis. Hall has Eberle/RNH.

If he is going to be the #1 center for the Boston Bruins it has to start this season. He is now going into his 'Boston Legal' years and it would make the other two lines threats every night.

Find Seguin his partner and fill the other space up with one of the kids (looking in Knight's direction.)
Spoooooooooner

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Ignoring a perfectly viable solution.

Lucic-Seguin-Krejci
Marchand-Bergeron-Pouliot/Caron
Caron/Pouliot-Kelly-Peverley
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

And hold these in place until Knight, Spooner, Koko, and whoever we draft start percolating up into the big league roster.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Krejci isn't a great first line CENTER, but he's a viable first line talent. As a SECONDARY playmaker on the first line, he could kick ***. Force the defense to focus on what Segs can do to them with his ELITE SPEED, and then let Krejci pitch his change-ups and SLOW THE GAME DOWN.

It would be like a when Pedro had a 98 mile an hour fastball and a low 70's change. You can hit one or the other, but no one's hitting both.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

Lucic-Seguin-Krejci
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

And hold these in place until Knight, Spooner, Koko, and whoever we draft start percolating up into the big league roster.
That lineup isn't good enough, IMO. Here are my thoughts as to why:

1. Our power play is dreadful because it lacks skill, not just because our guys "don't move their legs". We had a guy like Rolston on a PP unit in the playoffs. You pressure guys on our PP and they cough it up. Skill guys don't draw as much and they can move the puck quickly enough to avoid it more often than our guys. IMO Seguin and Krejci are our only high-end skill players and we could use more.

2. That second line of yours is awful. You left out Horton (for obvious reasons and I agree to do it), but this team will need a player of his caliber, or greater, in that spot. Caron looks like he might be a good third line NHL'er, but 2nd line? Doubtful, and definitely not now. And we all know Poo isn't good enough for that role.

This team has money, assets and key pieces in place. They should be in load UP mode, not load DOWN.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

If we have Horton, obviously he slots in with Marchand and Bergeron.

And I disagree about the power play lacking skill. They're not using it well, and they're trying to avoid battles they should be fighting and winning, but they aren't unskilled.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

Lucic-Seguin-Krejci
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Upgrades... who needs them.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

And I disagree about the power play lacking skill. They're not using it well, and they're trying to avoid battles they should be fighting and winning, but they aren't unskilled.
The Bruins aren't a super skilled team. The skill that they DO have doesn't translate well to the PP (clearly).

It's almost completely a skill issue, IMO. They know what they need to do on the PP, they just can't do it.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Upgrades... who needs them.
there is nothing in that proposed lineup that voids the possibility of an upgrade.

Krejci on the right wing makes a ton of sense right now and I'd like to see it tried long term. Krejci isn't a bad center, in fact he's outright half decent even if you're just looking at the defensive side of the puck, but he would be a lot better if he could take the skills that made him a decent center, and use them to make him a great wing. He's offense-driven anyway, that's where his mind is at. Put him in a position to maximize those talents rather than his (relative to other Boston centers) pedestrian center play and defense.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
The Bruins aren't a super skilled team. The skill that they DO have doesn't translate well to the PP (clearly).

It's almost completely a skill issue, IMO. They know what they need to do on the PP, they just can't do it.
I disagree. They do the pass back to the point to avoid challenging a penalty kill physically and having to try to outwork a tight defensive formation. that's the exact opposite of how they should be handling things.

Get a wrister off in front of the tender from the circles and charge in from 3 sides to clean up any rebounds. If they just did that, they'd be a lot more effective.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
bp13

Quote:

If we don't have Horton or a player of his caliber, our forwards aren't good enough. They weren't good enough before Horton was acquired and they were barely good enough when we had him. They need more.

Our power play isn't "unskilled". I didn't say they were. I said they needed more skill, and they do. They need more skill up front and on the PP. Corvo added nothing and nobody else on the blueline has skill. And while we have some skill up front, we could use more. I would think our combined 2 for 44 on the PP in the playoffs the last two years would be evidence enough.

This team has the money and resources to be loaded. So load up. That forward lineup of yours is above average and no more. They can add to that easily.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
00BW

If you are complaining about Seguin's battle and compete levels, I would say you need to first look at his contemporaries. Of the five 2010 drafted players to play the last two years, Hall, Skinner, Burmistrov, and Fowler have all had concussions. Of the four 2011 drafted players in the NHL, RNH, Larsson, and Couturier have all missed time with injuries. Seguin and Landeskog have been the only two players in the NHL from the last 2 drafts to not suffer a major injury.

Having never had to be physical in juniors, I prefer him to learn the physical compete level at a safe pace and still be on the ice contributing. Landeskog played the physical game in juniors so he didn't have to learn that at the NHL level.

If Bergeron and Marchand had scored in the first 3 games, all the talk about Seguin's game would be positive. Even in those early games, he won the puck battles along the boards and set them both up multiple times in the slot for easy chances but Hotby stoned them.

The only real complaint about his game is face-offs. With Bergeron and Peverly on the team with near 60% winning rates, he should really have picked that up by now with their mentoring.

00BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I disagree. They do the pass back to the point to avoid challenging a penalty kill physically and having to try to outwork a tight defensive formation. that's the exact opposite of how they should be handling things.

Get a wrister off in front of the tender from the circles and charge in from 3 sides to clean up any rebounds. If they just did that, they'd be a lot more effective.
And they're handling it like that because they don't have the personnel (read: skill) to do anything else on the PP.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Oates2Neely

Patience.

This core is young. The will mature. They will improve. Tweaks. Soon to be added: Spooner, Knight, Koko, Hamilton. IF one or two of these kids pan out, the team will improve greatly in the next few years.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
bp13

Quote:

I think this misses a few key holes/points:

1. We have two pure shooters, Seguin and Horton. Horton is hurt and Seguin is still learning. This season we started out setting up Horton on the half boards in hopes he'd creep into the top of the circle/slot and force the box to come to him, freeing up a point pass, an option down low, or if he had space, he'd shoot. That didn't work great, but he was okay. Seguin presumably would be given that role next season. He was bad at best when he had the chances this year. But here's an issue...we can't set up either of our shooters in the slot because we don't have a left-handed skilled forward to dish him the puck from the other half boards. If we had Savard, our PP could be lethal. Parise could be that guy.

2. Chara has a cannon. I have no problem with a PP that utilizes, or even focuses on that. But they need another threat, and with another threat, Chara would become even more of a weapon. That other threat, IMO, is the threat of one-timers from Seguin and Horton. And those one-timers have to come from a left-handed half-boards guy. Again that guy is Zach Parise.