Notices

Ward's goal should have been disallowed

Old
04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
westernhome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
I don't know why they can't review virtually everything on each goal - from goalie interference, to clock issues, to kicking motion....everything. What is the downside? A small delay? Second-guessing their precious on-ice staff? I think the upside of getting goals right far outweighs any of the perceived negatives.
agreed, especially nowadays that they have so many cameras and high speed networks going to a situation room and everything

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Hooligan514

Habs fan, i come in peace.

As someone mentioned in another thread. I've seen penalties called for less and non calls on much worse.

The fact that non of the players made an issue about it probably means that they didn't think it was that bad.

It would be one hard call to make in game 7 OT. I think it would have been a bigger issue if it was called.

And before getting blasted that I am one of those that believes that there should be a seperate rule in Playoffs. I am quite the opposite, but I do realise that is the case.
It is what it is

Hooligan514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
agreed, especially nowadays that they have so many cameras and high speed networks going to a situation room and everything
and in a game 7 overtime...oh well, is anyone really surprised by this

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan514 View Post
Habs fan, i come in peace.

As someone mentioned in another thread. I've seen penalties called for less and non calls on much worse.

The fact that non of the players made an issue about it probably means that they didn't think it was that bad.

It would be one hard call to make in game 7 OT. I think it would have been a bigger issue if it was called.

And before getting blasted that I am one of those that believes that there should be a seperate rule in Playoffs. I am quite the opposite, but I do realise that is the case.
It is what it is
I don't think the bolded is true at all. There was just no way they were going to win any sort of argument in that situation, and they knew it.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:16 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

borderline.

take the loss like grown up. maybe if the bruins didn't squander the gift powerplay they got late in the third, they don't even go to overtime. you can't get outplayed for a good chunk of the game, or series for that matter, and then expect the refs to bail you out. they should have won this series and only have themselves to blame. blame the powerplay, blame the top line for not showing up...but don't blame the refs.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
The Instigator

I knew this thread was coming, but I'm pleasantly suprised by your guys' professionalism on most accounts. Good series guys!

The Instigator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:19 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Punishment View Post
I knew this thread was coming, but I'm pleasantly suprised by your guys' professionalism on most accounts. Good series guys!
Thx, I think you`d probably agree, EVERY team that had that goal scored against them would be putting up the exact same threads on their respective boards too.

Bruins had tons of opportunities long before the OT to win it, they didn`t and that`s the way the game goes.

Old
04-26-2012, 07:23 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I don't think the bolded is true at all. There was just no way they were going to win any sort of argument in that situation, and they knew it.
Exactly, and be regarded by fans/media/peers in a fashion that a few other unmentionable franchises are often referred to as being by those around the game.

Sorry, I`m glad we don`t have a coach who feels he needs to open his pie hole after every poor call, penalty/suspension etc.... we all know nothing makes sense in this league half the time, and really, the optics of the situation if the B`s came out and did nothing but whine about a goal after the series is over wouldn`t be good.

Our boys had plenty of chances to end that game before OT, they didn`t, case closed, looking forward to the Spooner/Knight/Hamilton and Suter era

Old
04-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
I agree but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
The goal should have been disallowed. Knuble is in the crease pushing Thomas backwards and hindering his ability to make a save.

Rule 69 - Interference on the Goalkeeper

Situation: Crowding the Goalkeeper

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26557

I'm surprised Thomas didn't complain.
The Caps deserved the win, they were hungrier then our Bruins. There's no doubt it could have been easily called but what's done is done and again, our guys weren't playing like they wanted it.

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:27 PM
ODAAT

If this team had of had guys make the kind of play and effort that Seguin did on his tying goal, we`d be singing a different tune today, and by the way, not enuff of that from Segs either.

In spite of the 1 goal games, not sure why I found this series the least entertaining one I have watched in a good number of years

Old
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
thegodfather

I haven't read the entire thread and I agree we as fans have the right to discuss what we witnessed.

But I'm going to put a different spin on the Ward goal.

If Pouliot puts the puck off the boards the goal does not happen.

If Zanon ties up Ward like a defenseman is supposed to do and not allow him to play the rebound the goal does not happen.

If Thomas is aggressive like he normally is he is out farther and maybe the goal does not happen.

Be damned, but if Patrice is not injured he scores and the Ward goal does not happen.

But most of all I won't make excuses for the team I love. They lost and as a fan I have to deal with that.

Until next year.....

thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
ronwm

If that goal had been called off, Henrik Lundqvist's head would have exploded and taken out half of the continent with it....

Sure....it could be argued that it was a bad call, but what purpose would it have served? If the Bruins then turned around and scored after that, there would have always been a black cloud hanging over the 'win' (or an * in peoples minds) when quite frankly we didn't deserve it.

Our boys had many chances to close that one up and couldn't do it. I'm happier that it was called that way so I don't have to hear endless calls of how "the Ref's won it for the Bruins", "Conspiracy", blah blah blah....

ronwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:33 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
I haven't read the entire thread and I agree we as fans have the right to discuss what we witnessed.

But I'm going to put a different spin on the Ward goal.

If Pouliot puts the puck off the boards the goal does not happen.

If Zanon ties up Ward like a defenseman is supposed to do and not allow him to play the rebound the goal does not happen.

If Thomas is aggressive like he normally is he is out farther and maybe the goal does not happen.

Be damned, but if Patrice is not injured he scores and the Ward goal does not happen.

But most of all I won't make excuses for the team I love. They lost and as a fan I have to deal with that.

Until next year.....
Great post, we credit every Bruin for last seasons win, same has to be said for when they don`t, win and lose as a team, either way, still loads to be optimistic about as a Bruin fan looking forward

Old
04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
missingchicklet

I don't even think it was close. A non-call was entirely correct on that play. The refs did not cost us this series.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Hooligan514

Quote:
I would disagree with that. If it was a grossly missed call, everybody would be up in arms about it (not that it would change the situation).
I do believe that since the contact was not very severe it was a non issue.

let me put it like this, if Knuble bowled over Thomas and Ward scored with no penalty called, do you really believe no one would have said anything?

Hooligan514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Don't care......we should have been doing that the whole series.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan514 View Post
I would disagree with that. If it was a grossly missed call, everybody would be up in arms about it (not that it would change the situation).
I do believe that since the contact was not very severe it was a non issue.

let me put it like this, if Knuble bowled over Thomas and Ward scored with no penalty called, do you really believe no one would have said anything?
I didn't say it was a "grossly missed" call, but it was missed. But I'm not blaming the loss on it, and neither are the Bruins. Missed calls happen, and no amount of arguing was going to change it.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Kerry Fraser: Joel Ward's goal was illegal

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...211332403.html

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:23 PM
putabergeronthegrill

Thomas took the high road on this one.

Also, it doesn't matter, the capitals outplayed us this series and deserved to win.

end of story.

putabergeronthegrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:26 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Did you not see the other thread, broseph?

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
I didn't say it was a "grossly missed" call, but it was missed. But I'm not blaming the loss on it, and neither are the Bruins. Missed calls happen, and no amount of arguing was going to change it.
Can you imagine Torterella in the media if this is how his team lost in game 7 (I guess there is still time for that to happen, haha)

He was ready to snap at the kick in goal the other night and that didn't even tie the game or anything.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Dirty goal that for me will always remind me of what could've been. Play happened really fast and was unreviewable, so I'm OK with it I guess. Kinda like this whole series, the bad bounces and calls. Despite some posters saying the Bs didn't really want it, I think the Bs did really wanted it, especially in the OT where they were buzzing like crazy. Would've liked to see what they could've done moving on, repeat of last year maybe? Just disappointed that this had to end on a goal like that, especially since the Bs weren't the worse team in this series.

Not too bummed out, future is bright and we'll have more chances.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Remember the days when Hull's skate in the blue paint on the game winning goal caused contraversy? Look how far we've come since then lol. All goals should be reviewed in the p/o. And if a high stick goal is reviewable, a goalie interference goal should also be reviewable. Call me bitter.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by putabergeronthegrill View Post
Thomas took the high road on this one.

Also, it doesn't matter, the capitals outplayed us this series and deserved to win.

end of story.
They did not outplay us. Thats why its so disappointing.

Old
04-26-2012, 08:59 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
I fail to see the logic whereby folks think the Caps deserved to win the game because of the way they played the series. This was a collection of one-goal games that went into overtime several times to determine the winner. Then, the Bruins lose because of a missed call.

This is not the definition of being outplayed I'm familiar with. There is no "deserving" to win here. The best team didn't necessarily win. Someone had to win, sure, but it's not like the Caps overpowered the Bruins. It was a pretty even series start to finish. The team that caught the break in game 7 won. They didn't deserve it. It just happened.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote