HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie could have been a Leaf

Old
04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
TheTotalPackage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Keith Aulie - 40 career NHL games.

Carter Ashton - 15 career NHL games.
A) I was referring to Downie vs. Ashton.
B) It was a joke since the general concensus around here is that exact premise.

TheTotalPackage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

I'm deaf so I'm a fan of Downie. Woulda taken him.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:09 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

this team doesnt need any more salary. Absolute hate Downie as a person and what he brings to the table. We have ross and biggs, no need for a basket case. Its one thing to hate someone because they are good, but thats not the case with me and downie.

Google akim aliu and steve downie and read the story. Pretty sickening.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Since when does Cox have any inside information?
I call BS.
we heard the same thing in windsor ....this confirms it because i cant believe burke took ashton ....not every journalist lies....sometime ,just maybe the leafs just really suck and even the most die hard fans are realizing brian burke is mediocre .....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I guess it doesn't make sense to you because you are stuck on the fact that Ashton can also be traded just like Aulie. Their recent trade suggests they have the same value. The difference is if he is not traded he might turn into the type of player we need. Aulie would have to be amazing to make the Leafs any time soon, even if we traded a few defensemen.
Carter Ashton will not be traded this summer.

Brian Burke will not trade a 21 year old who he just acquired. Not happening. At all. Move on from the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I get that you liked Aulie, I did to, I thought his size would look great on our blue line in the future. But if he wasn't in our plans it makes sense to get a player with a better chance of making the team that covers a greater need, size at forward.
Nothing to do with me liking Aulie - we had an excess of blue liners and someone was going to be moved. But:

LEAFS need GOALIE and CENTER.

If LEAFS get GOALIE, LEAFS make PLAYOFFS.

If LEAFS get CENTER, LEAFS have great chance of making playoffs.

LEAFS need to make PLAYOFFS

So why trade an asset, in Aulie, for something that isn't a goalie or a center, when you could use that same asset, NOW (in the off season) in order to land one of them.

No one is going to convince me that this team needed a 21 year old power forward over a goalie or a center. That a 21 year old was the team's most important need moving forward!!? No chance.

Ashton isn't going to get this team into the playoffs. It's not going to get the team into the playoffs this year, or next year, or maybe even the year after that. It's not a knock against the kid - he might go on and become a very good hockey player.

He's just not what this team needs right now, so I don't understand why Burke would have burned a tradeable asset on something that we don't need right now, ESPECIALLY knowing that this off season was going to be one where any improvement to this team was going to come almost exclusively from trades, given how poor the UFA pool is

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Would have liked Downie. Would've also liked Torres when he was UFA (Vancouver got him for under market value on a one year deal). Would've also liked Andrew Ladd, Dustin Byfuglien, & Troy Brouwer. Where's all this pugnacity Burke kept talking about? He sounds like a dumbass this moment

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
I have to disagree with that.

The idea that a 24 year old power forward prospect, is more important to this team right now than a franchise goalie or center, is ludicrous.

Burning an asset on a power forward winger, was more important than packaging an asset for a goalie or a center?

Ashton doesn't get this team into the playoffs.

An upgrade in net gets this team into the playoffs.
lol

Franchise center isn't gonna do jack **** for this team. What's that gonna improve? Scoring? Maybe some defense?

Franchise centers don't magically make a team's problems dissappear.

We'd still get murdered in the playoffs. Did the bruins have a franchise center when they won the cup? Do the blues have a franchise center? Do the coyotes have a franchise center?

Nope. those teams do have good goalies, but the problem is goalies are not available very often, and we have a goalie who our GM believes in. You need to give Reims a fair shot before blowing your load on a goalie.

You can't just hug onto your assets waiting for certain assets to free up, when you have multiple holes on your team.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:25 PM
nsleaf

Quote:

Brian Burke will not trade a 21 year old who he just acquired. Not happening. At all. Move on from the idea.

Nothing to do with me liking Aulie - we had an excess of blue liners and someone was going to be moved. But:

So why trade an asset, in Aulie, for something that isn't a goalie or a center, when you could use that same asset, NOW (in the off season) in order to land one of them.

No one is going to convince me that this team needed a 21 year old power forward over a goalie or a center. That a 21 year old was the team's most important need moving forward!!? No chance.

Ashton isn't going to get this team into the playoffs. It's not going to get the team into the playoffs this year, or next year, or maybe even the year after that. It's not a knock against the kid - he might go on and become a very good hockey player.

He's just not what this team needs right now, so I don't understand why Burke would have burned a tradeable asset on something that we don't need right now, ESPECIALLY knowing that this off season was going to be one where any improvement to this team was going to come almost exclusively from trades, given how poor the UFA pool is

True TO does need a center and goalie(realy good ones) but I don't see how hanging onto Aulie would have helped to achieve that. He is no more valuable than Ashton as a trade asset IMO.

nsleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
81Leafs50

Downie is garbage. I like Ashton more. Both of them will eventually become useless and not really contribute anything to the overall big picture.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

When the PK is as bad as the Leafs, Downie isn't the kind of guy you want to add.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
True TO does need a center and goalie(realy good ones) but I don't see how hanging onto Aulie would have helped to achieve that. He is no more valuable than Ashton as a trade asset IMO.
Thank you for getting to the core of my argument.

Could have used Aulie this off-season in a package to acquire those team needs.

Can't/won't do that with Ashton. We can debate Aulie's relative value with Ashton all we want, but the simple fact of the matter is Ashton isn't going to be traded, while Aulie could have been this off-season

Old
04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Wasn't Downie the "rat" Burke was referring to in his Colton Orr Presser?
Yes.

He referred to what Downie did on the ice as "Garbage"

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Since when does Cox have any inside information?
I call BS.
Agreed. Cox is full of hot air and all he is trying to do is stir up the fans. Would have liked to have gone after Downie as he would fill a role similar to that of Tucker but I doubt very much that anything Cox says with regards to the Leafs is true.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Agreed. Cox is full of hot air and all he is trying to do is stir up the fans. Would have liked to have gone after Downie as he would fill a role similar to that of Tucker but I doubt very much that anything Cox says with regards to the Leafs is true.
Cox is an idiot at the best of times, but he is somewhat connected around the league. More so with the local market.

Burke and Cox have a decent relationship.

Old
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
KapG

That is likely ********.

If it's not. Shame on Burke. Downie is already a young effective hockey player. Something we can only hope Ashton turns into.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Ashton's offensive upside is so much higher then Downie's. Don't have room for Downie right now either. Where would he have played?
After 15 games w/o a single point, I don't agree.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Macoun4life

Fire Cox!

Macoun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Nitrock

If this is true, good job on Burke and company, Ashton brings size and skating ability that we desperately need.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Pi

Steve Downie is a ****ing rat, why take him?

We already saw what a coward that guy is.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Yea I dont believe him and even if this was true. I am damn glad we didn't pick him up. Downie is and has always been a rat, and i hated his play. He does a good job on what is signed for but he sometimes forgets the line simple as that.

04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
To begin with, the trade didn't make much sense to me.

I've got nothing against Ashton.

I just don't understand why we would have traded Aulie, then, for another prospect, full well knowing that we would be heavily invested in the trade market this off-season.

For example - could we not use Aulie in any prospective deal for Luongo? He's a marketable asset; a young shut down Dman, with plenty of upside. We should have kept him, and used him NOW in order to improve the gaping holes in our lineup.

I'm sorry, but a 24 year old winger is not one of the biggest gaping holes in our lineup
24 year old winger?

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:42 PM
mooseOAK*

Yes, Downie could have been a Leaf except for the tiny detail of Burke not wanting him.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:

Not 21, but he has done it already. Aulie, Versteeg.

You think that if a trade for Getzlaf hinges on Ashton, Burke would say no?

Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Yea I dont believe him and even if this was true. I am damn glad we didn't pick him up. Downie is and has always been a rat, and i hated his play. He does a good job on what is signed for but he sometimes forgets the line simple as that.
I hope you were never a Tucker fan.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgari View Post
Not 21, but he has done it already. Aulie, Versteeg.

You think that if a trade for Getzlaf hinges on Ashton, Burke would say no?
Versteeg was moved for very different issues, and was someone he got for free.

I'll say it again - Burke will not trade Ashton.

His deal on loyalty and promise to his players etc etc etc