HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie could have been a Leaf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2012, 07:00 PM
  #101
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Unless Burke was given this choice before February 27th, 2012 there is no way Downie was offered on the deadline day itself because he had been traded to Colorado a few days before. So Cox's should at least get facts like that right before writting something.
sure talks were going on for some time. just because Downie wasn't there trade deadline day doesn't mean there is truth to the story.

get your facts straight.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
  #102
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Burke doesnt like rats
Yeup... Cox should do his research.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
  #103
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Carter Ashton will not be traded this summer.

Brian Burke will not trade a 21 year old who he just acquired. Not happening. At all. Move on from the idea.



Nothing to do with me liking Aulie - we had an excess of blue liners and someone was going to be moved. But:

LEAFS need GOALIE and CENTER.

If LEAFS get GOALIE, LEAFS make PLAYOFFS.

If LEAFS get CENTER, LEAFS have great chance of making playoffs.

LEAFS need to make PLAYOFFS

So why trade an asset, in Aulie, for something that isn't a goalie or a center, when you could use that same asset, NOW (in the off season) in order to land one of them.

No one is going to convince me that this team needed a 21 year old power forward over a goalie or a center. That a 21 year old was the team's most important need moving forward!!? No chance.

Ashton isn't going to get this team into the playoffs. It's not going to get the team into the playoffs this year, or next year, or maybe even the year after that. It's not a knock against the kid - he might go on and become a very good hockey player.

He's just not what this team needs right now, so I don't understand why Burke would have burned a tradeable asset on something that we don't need right now, ESPECIALLY knowing that this off season was going to be one where any improvement to this team was going to come almost exclusively from trades, given how poor the UFA pool is
have you ever done a jigsaw puzzle? you have to put the other pieces in before you can put the last in. but you need them all.

when you can put a piece in place you don't hold off from doing it because you want to put a different piece in first.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
  #104
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Ashton's offensive upside is so much higher then Downie's. Don't have room for Downie right now either. Where would he have played?
Not sure about this. Downie was 2 points a game in Junior, scored better in the AHL than Kadri, and had 46pts in the NHL at age 22. I don't think we have seen the best he is capable of.
I doubt if he is BBs type of player at all though, as the bruising Ducks lineup was May, Moen, Parros, Thornton in addition to some big skilled bodies like Getzlaf. That to me is more the type of guy he wants to add, although Ashton may be more like a Penner or a less skilled Perry if he pans out.
I liked Ashton as a draft prospect but he doesn't look like much right now.

nuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:24 PM
  #105
Mike1
Registered User
 
Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
If that is true...big mistake. This team has been devoid of physical players for almost a decade, the chance comes to acquire one & you decide to pass?

Downie could of provided some sandpaper which is non-existent on the roster.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
  #106
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
This "Burke doesn't like rats" thing doesn't jive with drafting and signing Brad Ross. He's an excellent agitator who has even had some discipline problems.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:38 PM
  #107
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Cox is an idiot. That is all

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:42 PM
  #108
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
This "Burke doesn't like rats" thing doesn't jive with drafting and signing Brad Ross. He's an excellent agitator who has even had some discipline problems.
pest, ott is more of a better comparison, he has got disciplined once i believe for his questionable hit last year?

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:48 PM
  #109
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,250
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
This "Burke doesn't like rats" thing doesn't jive with drafting and signing Brad Ross. He's an excellent agitator who has even had some discipline problems.
Brad Ross fights when he needs to. Don't kid yourself.

And he doesn't have suspension problems either.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:49 PM
  #110
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
pest, ott is more of a better comparison, he has got disciplined once i believe for his questionable hit last year?
He was disciplined by his team late in this season for an unknown violation.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
  #111
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Brad Ross fights when he needs to. Don't kid yourself.

And he doesn't have suspension problems either.
Downie fights too but he has repeatedly been called a rat in this thread.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
  #112
dougieg93
flip for filip
 
dougieg93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
I'm happy with the Ashton move since we got the 5th overall pick by not adding to our roster at the deadline.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
  #113
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
I realize downie is better, but if we signed downie at 3 mill every hf poster would be *****ing about it in 1-2 years, if u don't believe me look up armstrong, colby

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
  #114
bberard34
Registered User
 
bberard34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
This "Burke doesn't like rats" thing doesn't jive with drafting and signing Brad Ross. He's an excellent agitator who has even had some discipline problems.
He is also a ppg!

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:24 PM
  #115
Midna
Registered User
 
Midna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
I love how everybody here is smarter than everybody else. I feel smarter just reading this thread!

Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:39 PM
  #116
bobg1
Registered User
 
bobg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bc
Country: Canada
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
He's actually on pretty good terms with Burke.
If this was true why did he wait until after the season to report this?Don't trust anything Cox says about the Leafs.

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
  #117
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
sure talks were going on for some time. just because Downie wasn't there trade deadline day doesn't mean there is truth to the story.

get your facts straight.
All I meant was that Cox shouldn't say on the trade deadline day itself, because I think it makes him look stupid because as we all know Downie was traded a week before.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
  #118
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
What I know is:

We need to trade for key pieces.

Aulie was a tradeable asset.

Instead of trading him for key pieces, we traded him for a player that might be very good for us, but not for a year or two.

So yeah - I didn't like the trade then, and I don't like the trade now.

Would you rather trade Aulie for a prospect, or trade him in a package to land a goaltender/center?
The flaw in your logic is it's based off your arbitrary decision that Ashton cannot be traded. Your argument gets even worse if Ashton makes the team next year.

So really your complaint is Ashton is not a goalie or center and Burke should make no other transaction regardless of how good they are unless he is getting one of these two things ? Seriously ?

If Burke makes a big move for a Nash or Staal or something and they ask for Ashton your little theory won't mean much...( come to think of it , it doesnt mean much right now) he will be traded if thats what's required. For all you know Burke was close to a big trade and the other party stated they needed a young power forward type to make the deal and Burke got him for just that reason.

It's really silly to second guess someone when you have so few facts at your disposal and have to base your arguments on things you've made up yourself.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  #119
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
He was disciplined by his team late in this season for an unknown violation.
Hook me up with this beautiful information because I haven't heard of this at all, the only person I know recently who got the call was Lipon I believe?

He doesn't go for headshots, he doesn't do ****** things like downie did his in juniors except that one big ass hit last season.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
  #120
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
have you ever done a jigsaw puzzle? you have to put the other pieces in before you can put the last in. but you need them all.

when you can put a piece in place you don't hold off from doing it because you want to put a different piece in first.
Downie was traded 6 days before Ashton, using your philosophy and knowing how complicated that Det/TB/Col trade was. Don't you think that the 3 team trade was in the works for quite some time? IMO I think this is Cox trying to blow smoke.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
  #121
Leafan519
Registered User
 
Leafan519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sarnia, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
I woulda preferred Steve Downie. Assuming this is true.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:54 PM
  #122
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Cox is an idiot at the best of times, but he is somewhat connected around the league. More so with the local market.

Burke and Cox have a decent relationship.
Can you explain the timing then? If Cox actually had a source that said anything about Downie around deadline day, would he not have mentioned the potential deal then. Why the long wait.

My thoughts are: The Leafs are not in the playoffs, the draft is a ways away and no member of the team or management has said or done anything lately that the media can turn into a story. Since anything Leafs related sells papers, Cox put togeather a rumour to get some controversy going.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:27 AM
  #123
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Two Words: George Parros

Get tougher. Get some size.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:28 AM
  #124
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Two Words: George Parros

Get tougher. Get some size.
its all about the stache.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:43 AM
  #125
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
His twitter bio...

On-ice assailant, power play specialist, minister of moustachery

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.