HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie could have been a Leaf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2012, 01:46 AM
  #126
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
His twitter bio...

On-ice assailant, power play specialist, minister of moustachery
....we might sign him now.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:49 AM
  #127
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDroughtEndsHERE View Post
•Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: At the trade deadline, the Maple Leafs were given a choice between 24-year old Steve Downie (a RFA looking for more than $3 million)

Anyone else surprised Burke chose Ashton over Downie?

Ashton is a good prospect and everything and could turn out to be a decent 2nd/3rd liner, but Downie already is that and seems to be exactly the kind of player Burke would covet. He's also only 24, so he fits right into the make-up of this young Leaf team.
How exactly?

Downie was traded 5 days prior to the deadline when Ashton and Aulie were dealt for each other...

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
  #128
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 7,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
The flaw in your logic is it's based off your arbitrary decision that Ashton cannot be traded. Your argument gets even worse if Ashton makes the team next year.

So really your complaint is Ashton is not a goalie or center and Burke should make no other transaction regardless of how good they are unless he is getting one of these two things ? Seriously ?
That's not my argument at all.

All I'm stating, is that it would have made more sense for Burke to hold onto Aulie, and at least tried to throw him into a package in the summer to land a goalie or a center.

I understand that the team's needs go beyond those 2 players. If Burke is unsuccessful in landing that goalie or center with Aulie + a package, and feels very highly on Ashton, then go ahead and get the deal done in the off-season.

To me, it would have made more sense for him to load up all his key tradeable assets for this summer's run at the trade market.

I'm not saying he shouldn't make other transactions at all.

And my theory doesn't get squashed if Ashton makes the team next year, as I have nothing against the kid. If the team thinks highly of him, great. I don't think that his time as a Leaf is a valid time frame to judge him, but from what we've seen he looks rather unremarkable other than his board play. Based on that, I would say that he won't make the team next year.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:24 AM
  #129
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
And people thought our power play was bad this year? Imagine it with this idiot taking stupid penalties every game. Not worth the hassle.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:36 AM
  #130
Interactif
Opinionist
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,213
vCash: 500
Ashton may not be a superstar, but he will prove to be more useful than Downie. One that has watched the Marlies in the playoffs this spring can see he is the type of player you need this time of year. Wasn't crazy about letting Aulie go at first, but can see why Leafs made the deal.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
  #131
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Hook me up with this beautiful information because I haven't heard of this at all, the only person I know recently who got the call was Lipon I believe?
It was in one of the previous Marlies/prospects thread. Too much work to prove something I know is true. Be my guest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
He doesn't go for headshots, he doesn't do ****** things like downie did his in juniors except that one big ass hit last season.
I like Ross as one of the better prospects on the Leafs' depth chart. I'm only mentioning this stuff because it's hypocritical to paint such broad strokes about Downie and pretend that Ross is an angel. Sort of like what you just did with Ross over "headshots" because Ross was suspended for this hit which looks like a "headshot" to me. The facts are that Ross was suspended 3 times in his junior career.



P.S. These guys who play on the edge are valuable commodities. They make the opposition nervous.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:39 AM
  #132
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Ashton may not be a superstar, but he will prove to be more useful than Downie. One that has watched the Marlies in the playoffs this spring can see he is the type of player you need this time of year. Wasn't crazy about letting Aulie go at first, but can see why Leafs made the deal.
So you already know that a kid who has played all of 12 NHL games is going to be more useful than a player who has already shown himself to be useful in the NHL regular season AND the NHL playoffs?

Glad we have you on board!

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
  #133
Interactif
Opinionist
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
So you already know that an AHL player is going to be more useful than a player who has already shown himself to be useful in the NHL regular season AND the NHL playoffs?

Glad we have you on board!
Ashton is 20, this is the reason he is in the AHL, though I don't necessarily agree he was compared to Guerin in his draft year according to Mckenzie. I am very comfortable in saying Ashton will be more useful than Downie in 2 years. If you want we'll revisit this then.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
  #134
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
How exactly?

Downie was traded 5 days prior to the deadline when Ashton and Aulie were dealt for each other...
I don't know why this point isn't getting more traction in this thread. It's like people are choosing to ignore logic and start the illogical comparisons between different players.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
  #135
Bad News Bears
LISTEN TO LIFETIME
 
Bad News Bears's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
I like Ashton, but I would have loved to get Downie.

GOOD ONTARIO BOY!

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:24 AM
  #136
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,310
vCash: 671
Downie is a cheap shot artist. Knees Crosby, fights non fighters like Satan, and turtles when called out by players like Chara. Better to stick with a healthy Armstrong in that role and then wait for players like Biggs and Ross to fill in later.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
  #137
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Downie is a cheap shot artist. Knees Crosby, fights non fighters like Satan, and turtles when called out by players like Chara. Better to stick with a healthy Armstrong in that role and then wait for players like Biggs and Ross to fill in later.
most players turtle when dealing with Chara. It's the smart thing to do.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
  #138
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
This is the worst thread. These "could have been" scenarios are infuriating. Gretzky could have been a Leaf, Sakic could have been drafted, Crosby could have won us a cup if only we finished badly and won the lottery, etc.

On and on.

You people that are getting emo in this thread just ignore the OP. What could have been will never be.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
  #139
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,745
vCash: 500
I wouldn't have mind Downie on this team. Seems like the Avs performed a little better when he arrived. Having a player play the role he does is not an easy one and he seems to do it really well.

I can still remember what a fool Neil looked like for Ott early in his career and Domi made him look silly at times. Now, he receives praises from Mackenzie and the TSN board. Fact is, takes time to be a true pro and know your role and play it well. I say Downie is half way there. Ashton might have a little more scoring punch down the road. We will see in a couple of years if it was a good move or not.

Leafs have a long way to go. Just watching the playoffs makes it very evident. Ott right now is light years ahead, we just don't have the same toughness or intensity right now.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
  #140
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Burke doesnt like rats
More BS....why did he have Matt Cooke on his Canucks team? Possibly the biggest RAT since Barnaby retired. Also Colby Armstrong is considered a rat in some circles. One man's rat is another man's effective agitator.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
  #141
daveleaf
Registered User
 
daveleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,745
vCash: 500
I'm not a fan of Armstrong at all. Completely useless on this team.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
  #142
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I'm not a fan of Armstrong at all. Completely useless on this team.
Never liked the signing. Never liked the player. Never liked the contract. Over-rated plug. I agree.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
  #143
cynicism
Registered User
 
cynicism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Downie's a ****. I would rather have kept Aulie, but I'd take Ashton over Downie.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:11 PM
  #144
Salgari
Registered User
 
Salgari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
His twitter bio...

On-ice assailant, power play specialist, minister of moustachery
Get him inmediately.

Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:34 PM
  #145
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
It was in one of the previous Marlies/prospects thread. Too much work to prove something I know is true. Be my guest.




I like Ross as one of the better prospects on the Leafs' depth chart. I'm only mentioning this stuff because it's hypocritical to paint such broad strokes about Downie and pretend that Ross is an angel. Sort of like what you just did with Ross over "headshots" because Ross was suspended for this hit which looks like a "headshot" to me. The facts are that Ross was suspended 3 times in his junior career.



P.S. These guys who play on the edge are valuable commodities. They make the opposition nervous.
Ah did a search didnt find it.

That is the shot I was talking about the entire time. He got suspended for that.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
  #146
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,306
vCash: 500
I don't know if it was posted, but it seemed like Phaneuf and Downie had a lot of issues with one another this season. I'm sure Burkie preferred Ashton Carter anyway, but the feud between our captain and Downie was probably taken into consideration too. No reason to create issues in the dressing room.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
  #147
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 29,831
vCash: 500
It's not Downie vs Ashton, it's the 3mil + vs whatever Ashton makes.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:47 PM
  #148
Espher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredericton, N.B.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
It was in one of the previous Marlies/prospects thread. Too much work to prove something I know is true. Be my guest.
This type of reply is why I get so frustrated with these forums. Jesus.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
  #149
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,952
vCash: 500
if true he should have pulled the trigger I love Aulie but we have to many extra bodies on D and Downie would have been a solid addition to the forward core

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:31 PM
  #150
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
This type of reply is why I get so frustrated with these forums. Jesus.
You know why I get so frustrated? People treat me like a liar when I'm 100% sincere because they just don't want to believe something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Ah did a search didnt find it.
Used the internet to find it: link

Quote:
Jim Beseda: "The Winterhawks played without left wing Brad Ross who sat out for unspecified disciplinary reasons, while defenseman William Wrenn is expected to miss three to four weeks with a broken bone in his right hand sustained in last week’s 8-3 win at Seattle." This is the first time I can remember Mike Johnston ever having to play the internal discipline card, at least publicly. The timing is not good. No Wrenn of course is a big loss.
Okay now?


Last edited by StarBurns RIP: 04-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.
StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.